Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
My favorite author is Mary Shelley, welcome back to Bowser Galaxy 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I have to sincerely apologize for ever posting puns, here or anywhere. I never understood just how much pain they can cause before now.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
The full name of the Doctor's police box time machine is Time and Relative Dimensions in Face. Welcome to Mario Galaxy 2.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ReturnOfFable posted:

Man if she gets a bunch of gravity moves, that would be the best. Let's just put in a Smash Bros. character who's sole purpose is to dick over and frustrate everyone else.

Jigglypuff is made of marshmallows and treachery. I assume every group of people playing smash had a character who wound up in that role, probably different for each one.

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
Jigglypuff death races were the best thing. Losing because some random item fell and knocked you without bursting your bubble? Priceless.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Rosalina looks like the sort of character I like to play in fighting games, which is why I'm excited for her. It could anyone filling her role in the game and I'd find them cool and interesting, really, but puppet characters always manage to be fun for me. Does anyone really need a better reason than "looks fun to play?"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It looks like Rosalina's gameplay in SSB is mainly going to revolve around summoning lumas and using them as a second character. Desynching the Ice Climbers and using them to attack off the heels of the other's hits was a popular strategy among competitive Brawl players, so that should be pretty interesting. Also the reveal trailer featured her bending squirtle's water jet around her, so you can count on a couple of cool space-type moves.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You guys mentioned Bowser not having a canonical voice, but he does speak before and after the final fight in Mario Sunshine.

Also not all Bowser focus content can be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_ZLmk54GWw

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ariong posted:

It looks like Rosalina's gameplay in SSB is mainly going to revolve around summoning lumas and using them as a second character. Desynching the Ice Climbers and using them to attack off the heels of the other's hits was a popular strategy among competitive Brawl players, so that should be pretty interesting. Also the reveal trailer featured her bending squirtle's water jet around her, so you can count on a couple of cool space-type moves.

Yeah, Rosalina's fighting style revolves around summoning a Luma that fights alongside her, performing special moves for her and such. I understand Arc System Works games have this sort of character (Guilty Gear and BlazBlue both had one apparently, and it's basically the whole idea of Persona 4 Arena), and they seem fairly popular. She looks like she'll be interesting to play, but another strong thing is that, yeah, she's a non-sexualized playable female character in a fighting game, the more of those we get the better.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Ariong posted:

The whole "summon poo poo and throw it around" thing sounds a great deal like Olimar in Brawl.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

tinkerttoy posted:

The whole "summon poo poo and throw it around" thing sounds a great deal like Olimar in Brawl.

It seems to me that it works a bit like a cross between Olimar and Ice Climbers. You've still got an army of little dudes, it's just that there's one of them and they operate with a defined moveset rather than defining your moveset.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

You forgot the amazing music that plays during the so-so final battle
- Final Bowser Battle
Matching easy final bosses with kickin' rad music seems to be a Galaxy series tradition. Though come to think of it, have the 3D Marios ever had a genuinely difficult boss?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Drakyn posted:

Matching easy final bosses with kickin' rad music seems to be a Galaxy series tradition. Though come to think of it, have the 3D Marios ever had a genuinely difficult boss?

The manta ray ghost from Sunshine.

Edit: And those Chucksters in mission 7-3 or whichever might not have been officially a boss but those guys were dicks, seriously.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 6, 2014

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Drakyn posted:

The Bouldergeist Prankster Comet gave me a run for my money.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Drakyn posted:

When I was 8 I thought the last Bowser in Mario 64 was hard. I had a heck of a time getting the last hit on him.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Drakyn posted:

Burning Gobblegut is probably the hardest/most frustrating boss in this game, for me.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The camera makes Fiery Gobblegut a huge pain in the rear end at times.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Bosses are never going to be the hardest part of a Mario game, because if you make them hard, they become a frustrating wall, but a challenging level kills you at several different places, and you learn to overcome it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That's why NSMB and M3DW have had platforming as the final bosses.

DanielTheGreat
Oct 15, 2012
It's actually possible to die during the credits if you use Yoshi and the infinite flutter glitch on the last screen with the cake.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Adelheid posted:

Rosalina looks like the sort of character I like to play in fighting games, which is why I'm excited for her. It could anyone filling her role in the game and I'd find them cool and interesting, really, but puppet characters always manage to be fun for me. Does anyone really need a better reason than "looks fun to play?"

I think most peoples' complaints tend to boil down to Smash Bros. ostensibly being about the biggest most recognizable characters in the company fighting, and Rosalina's nobody's favorite character out of all the myriad of characters Nintendo has in their library (and if she is your favorite character... well okay, more power to you but whatever).

But hey, in a game with Wii Fit Trainer and Random Animal Crossing Man up to fight, whatever, all bets are off. I hope her Final Smash (are they bringing those back?) is making Lubba sit on opponents.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's been fairly ovbious for awhile now that Nintendo are gleefully trying to put literally every fictional character that has ever existed into SSB so Rosalina's addition comes as no surprise. I'm just surprised at how many people are running around going "Yay Rosalina!"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TwoPair posted:

But hey, in a game with Wii Fit Trainer and Random Animal Crossing Man up to fight, whatever, all bets are off. I hope her Final Smash (are they bringing those back?) is making Lubba sit on opponents.

Yeah, they are. The only new Final Smash we know of is the Wii Fit Trainer's (assaulting you with colored silhouettes of fitness poses), although I'd wager we saw Mega Man's somewhere in his intro video. We haven't seen much of anything about them yet, though.

And really, I don't think many people are specifically cheering about the fact Rosalina's in, so much as they're cheering about her because she's a properly unique character, exactly what you'd want to see in a newcomer from a fighting game. On top of that, she's also a non-sexualised female character, and one that actually provides variety among the female characters (she's a fairly big, hard-hitting heavyweight, all the other women fight pretty lightly). The Mario franchise might already be a bit over-emphasised, and that's a legitimate complaint to make, but divorced from the representation element of things Rosalina is a top-class character to see.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Rosalina was in the heavy class in Mario Kart Wii, right next to the likes of Bowser and Donkey Kong, part of this was due to the class system in that game being based around height than weight, Rosalina is by far the tallest lady in the Mario games.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Judge Tesla posted:

Rosalina was in the heavy class in Mario Kart Wii, right next to the likes of Bowser and Donkey Kong, part of this was due to the class system in that game being based around height than weight, Rosalina is by far the tallest lady in the Mario games.

Rosalina's body is actually composed of superdense neutron star matter. Despite her petite appearance she weighs several million tons.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Rosalina's body is actually composed of superdense neutron star matter. Despite her petite appearance she weighs several million tons.

I was just going to say she secreted away that giant cake Bowser was talking about, but I think I like your explanation better.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, she has a unique fighting style, is seven feet high and will tower over Ganondorf, and is pretty compellingly different from even Olimar, the closest current character. What's not to like?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I like how the Faceship is leering at giganta-Rosalina.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

mastajake posted:

I like how the Faceship is leering at giganta-Rosalina.

:heysexy: Nice set of planetoids you got there, baby. I find myself... gravitating towards you.

In all seriousness, I'd love to play SSB as a woman who can hold a faceship like a softball. Too bad she's gonna get scaled down.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

My daughter loves Rosalina in Mario Cart Wii, but she's 6 so what does she know?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Am I the only one who really didn't mind Rosalina? I didn't like nor hate her, I just felt like she was just there for story purposes in the first game and didn't find her annoying or anything. :confused:

Rirse posted:

You guys mentioned Bowser not having a canonical voice, but he does speak before and after the final fight in Mario Sunshine.

Also not all Bowser focus content can be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_ZLmk54GWw
Why is that live action Bowser dressed almost exactly the same way as Mr. Belvedere Bowser from that 80s as gently caress Ice Capades clip minus the scary mask? I assume the Ice Capades people probably gave them the costume since they have the same exact coat, but still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuuhn2cfVUE&t=91s

Also, Mr. Belvedere is the best and most canon live action Bowser. :colbert:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm excited to see characters I didn't expect. Game and Watch and R.O.B. are a lot of fun to play so...

On topic, I thoroughly enjoyed this level, because I feel that final boss levels should be a test of what you've learned up to that point, and this was a nice smattering of that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The main reason I was amused by her intro video was because it was introduced on the Nintendo Direct as "an announcement for a game some of you might recognize." Then the video made everyone think "New Kirby Air Ride! Wait, Kirby in Mario Kart! ...Rosalina in Mario Kart again? Oh, it's Smash."

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Drakyn posted:

Actually, as a kid, (and even still SOMETIMES), I find the poltergeist-desert-pyramid-hands boss to be.....stubborn. Does that count?

Also, Diabetus or slowbeef mentioned after Mario grabbed the last star that now Mario's Faceship is going to go around now sucking in galaxies. This IS the natural progression of the series, and would set the stage perfectly for.....

wait for it....

Super Bowser Galaxy 3

The climactic showdown between Bowser and Lubba.

Totally gonna happen yo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

There is precedent for Bowser being playable.

Here's hoping for a Bowser 4X game.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I'd play a Koopa Kids Co-op platformer.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Mr. Slowbeef, please do not underestimate the greatness of King Koopa from the Super Mario Bros. Super Show :colbert: that dude was awesome, Harvey Atkins had a great voice for animation.

MelvinBison posted:

I would LOVE a koopa co-op platformer, that would be pretty rad to play. But who would be the antagonist, unless we just pull some new enemy out of nowhere like I dunno, King Calamari?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MelvinBison posted:

Finally a platformer where dicking your co-op mates over makes sense (and is encouraged!).

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Finally a platformer where dicking your co-op mates over makes sense (and is encouraged!).

You're thinking of New Super Mario Bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

There is precedent for Bowser being playable.

Here's hoping for a Bowser 4X game.

Crusader Koopas II: Sons Of Bowser
Mushroom Kingdom Universalis IV
Bowser: An Empire Beyond The Sun

I'd play the gently caress out of all of them. In the proper order.

• Locked thread