Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

carry on then posted:

VNC isn't intended for impromptu over-the-net help requests, though, it requires open ports and a direct connection. Have fun setting that up, I guess.

Enabling VNC on a mac is incredibly easy to setup. I could walk someone through it in about 5 minutes. Although I guess if its routed you'd have to port forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

FlashBangBob posted:

Enabling VNC on a mac is incredibly easy to setup. I could walk someone through it in about 5 minutes. Although I guess if its routed you'd have to port forward.

Bingo. Big reason I like Teamviewer, don't have to bother with that at all.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Does Back to My Mac get around that?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

japtor posted:

Does Back to My Mac get around that?

If you have a uPNP capable router, sometimes. :v:

It's not incredibly reliable even when it is working.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

TwoKey posted:

It's improved quite a bit; I'd recommend using it. (Of note, OS X now defaults to using SMB2 when file sharing between two Macs running Mavericks.)

"Improved" isn't necessarily saying much. I upgraded all the Macs in my house and switched my NAS to SMB2 instead of AFP and while it worked on a superficial level, there was no end to the obnoxious little problems that cropped up on a daily basis. I switched back to AFP after a month of trying to stick it out. (Doesn't apply to Shaocaholica's situation since (s)he's stuck with SMB regardless; just thought I'd throw it out there.)

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
For the LogMeIn issue, why not go full techy and write a small shell script that checks if LogMeIn is running? If it's not, launch it. Throw it in crontab and you're set, if you want to be paranoid add it to the root crontab and use su to run it as the local user.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Post the e/n thread please.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Ashex posted:

For the LogMeIn issue, why not go full techy and write a small shell script that checks if LogMeIn is running? If it's not, launch it. Throw it in crontab and you're set, if you want to be paranoid add it to the root crontab and use su to run it as the local user.

puppet would be much easier.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

puppet would be much easier.

Nah, he'd have to build manifests and other annoying crap. Should go with salt.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

Post the e/n thread please.

Do OSX software questions go in E/N? Serious question. I was just providing a bit of background as to why I needed to do such a thing. My bad.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Ashex posted:

Set it as a launchd item and have launchd monitor it

Or deadmin your parents account and run it as root

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

hotsauce posted:

Do OSX software questions go in E/N? Serious question. I was just providing a bit of background as to why I needed to do such a thing. My bad.
You've posted your question in the right place. fleshweasel's saying he wants you to post an E/N thread about the (presumably non computer related) background as to why you need the setup the way it is.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Choadmaster posted:

"Improved" isn't necessarily saying much. I upgraded all the Macs in my house and switched my NAS to SMB2 instead of AFP and while it worked on a superficial level, there was no end to the obnoxious little problems that cropped up on a daily basis. I switched back to AFP after a month of trying to stick it out. (Doesn't apply to Shaocaholica's situation since (s)he's stuck with SMB regardless; just thought I'd throw it out there.)

I literally can't login to another Mac that appears in the Finder sidebar.
I have to do Command+K and manually specify afp://blah.local and then the username/password will work.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If I enable the web server in 10.8/10.9 to host some videos and photos so I can view them on my ipad/iphone within my local network, am I also opening that up to the world? I'm not sure how it could/should be blocked by my router. If not, how can I put a password on it?

vvvvv tanks vvvvvv

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 6, 2014

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Shaocaholica posted:

If I enable the web server in 10.8/10.9 to host some videos and photos so I can view them on my ipad/iphone within my local network, am I also opening that up to the world? I'm not sure how it could/should be blocked by my router. If not, how can I put a password on it?
If you are behind a router, and not forwarding the port that your web server is running on, then it is only visible on your local network.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I can't believe how easy this was.

Using 10.8. Should work the same on 10.9.

code:
cd /Library/WebServer/Documents/
sudo mkdir old
sudo mov * old
sudo ln -s /Volumes/Media/ Media
sudo apachectl start
Of course this line:

sudo ln -s /Volumes/Torrents/ files

Will vary from user to user, machine to machine.

But basically now I can playback all my idevice supported files mov, mp4,mp3,aac streamed over HTTP from my Mac without syncing and files are ready as soon as they are dropped/downloaded into the source dir. Because I hate syncing videos I'm only going to watch once.

I can actually log into Transmission web interface from my idevice, start a torrent and watch that torrent on my idevice without opening itunes or interacting with OS X on the Mac.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Shaocaholica posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I can't believe how easy this was.

Using 10.8. Should work the same on 10.9.

There's a better thread for this, but there are also some iOS media players (nPlayer, AVPlayerHD) that will connect directly to a shared folder or FTP and play many kinds of video files and audio formats that the stock software won't. That might be a more robust solution.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

eddiewalker posted:

There's a better thread for this

The IYG iPad thread?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Shaocaholica posted:

The IYG iPad thread?

i just didn't want to derail here too much with the iOS half of my reply.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a way to get a more Windows like mouse acceleration curve for when you're gaming? OSX fucks with my aim in CS:GO.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

You can try SmoothMouse or you can try this Terminal command:

defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
The last time I tried to get Windows/Linux mouse acceleration in OS X it never really worked (this was like 6 years ago). Man it sucks to be reminded that even if game development, availability and performance have parity between consoles/Windows and OS X, you're still stuck with this small yet very non trivial issue.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I just feel the need to shout

gently caress MAVERICKS MAIL.APP WITH A THOUSAND GOATS :commissar:

Mark all my beta bug reports as "fixed" and then release the thing with the bugs still clearly evident. Rush out a desperate "fix" a few weeks later that doesn't actually fix half the problems. Push another "fix" weeks later with the .0.1 update that still doesn't fix the problems.

I'm dealing with this poo poo on a daily basis and while I've never before felt the need to move all my mail archives over to a different app, I'm finally fed up.

What's the third-party mail app du jour?

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Choadmaster posted:

I just feel the need to shout

gently caress MAVERICKS MAIL.APP WITH A THOUSAND GOATS :commissar:

Mark all my beta bug reports as "fixed" and then release the thing with the bugs still clearly evident. Rush out a desperate "fix" a few weeks later that doesn't actually fix half the problems. Push another "fix" weeks later with the .0.1 update that still doesn't fix the problems.

I'm dealing with this poo poo on a daily basis and while I've never before felt the need to move all my mail archives over to a different app, I'm finally fed up.

What's the third-party mail app du jour?

What are your issues?

My only issue is that it sometimes takes a while to close. But I keep my inbox/archive/bin pretty tidy so YMMV.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Boatswain posted:

My only issue is that it sometimes takes a while to close. But I keep my inbox/archive/bin pretty tidy so YMMV.

I have a whopping 8 emails in my inbox. A few thousand are sorted into a couple dozen other IMAP folders, and maybe 30,000 more saved into local-only folders (that's what I mean by archives).

I read an email on my iPad or iPhone, the "read" status never gets updated in Mail on my Mac unless I quit Mail and relaunch it. Half the time I finish with an email in my inbox and want to dump it into one of my other folders, Mail refuses to do it (I can't remember the useless error message) unless I quit Mail and relaunch it. It's like after a while, Mail decides it just isn't interested in interacting with the server anymore. I can't be relaunching Mail ten times a day. It worked fine in Mountain Lion. It worked fine in Lion. It worked fine in Snow Leopard. I could go on...

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Choadmaster posted:

I have a whopping 8 emails in my inbox. A few thousand are sorted into a couple dozen other IMAP folders, and maybe 30,000 more saved into local-only folders (that's what I mean by archives).

I read an email on my iPad or iPhone, the "read" status never gets updated in Mail on my Mac unless I quit Mail and relaunch it. Half the time I finish with an email in my inbox and want to dump it into one of my other folders, Mail refuses to do it (I can't remember the useless error message) unless I quit Mail and relaunch it. It's like after a while, Mail decides it just isn't interested in interacting with the server anymore. I can't be relaunching Mail ten times a day. It worked fine in Mountain Lion. It worked fine in Lion. It worked fine in Snow Leopard. I could go on...

Oh my god, well then my comment was useless. Carry on…

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Choadmaster posted:

I don't have any of the problems you've mentioned and I have 2 IMAP accounts (one of which is Gmail) and an Exchange account on a late 2013 rMBP although admittedly I don't have any local mail archives. Did you do an upgrade install of Mavericks or a clean install?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I always clean install. I have also confirmed the issues happen on multiple macs.

I have 5 accounts; 1 iCloud and 4 Gmail.

iCloud account updates just fine; if I read an iCloud email on my iPad/iPhone/web interface it gets marked as read just fine on all my Macs. Ditto with replies - the "replied" icon (arrow/swoosh) shows up fine on the Macs if I reply to an iCloud email from anywhere.

None of that works with the Gmail accounts. Read an email and it won't get marked as read unless I quit and relaunch - even if I wait all day (it gets new email in the mean time, no problem). Reply to an email from another device, same problem on the Mac (though the Mac will happily load and display my reply in the sent folder).

Another issue that cropped up with Mavericks (but is just an annoyance) is every time I drop an email onto another folder, the email disappears instantly from the inbox (as normal) but then reappears a quarter second later, then disappears for good a second or two later when Mail is done syncing with the sever.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Yeah, Gmail on Mavericks pretty much just sucks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaocaholica posted:

The last time I tried to get Windows/Linux mouse acceleration in OS X it never really worked (this was like 6 years ago). Man it sucks to be reminded that even if game development, availability and performance have parity between consoles/Windows and OS X, you're still stuck with this small yet very non trivial issue.

Games should be catching the raw mouse device like every game written by competent devs has since the dawn of time.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Curious, why not just use Gmail natively in the browser and get a notifier app or something? Works perfectly fine for me.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
I've heard people talking about Mailplane as of late. Personally, I use a Fluid instance for work mail and it seems to work pretty well.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I've also heard good things about Airmail.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

FlashBangBob posted:

Curious, why not just use Gmail natively in the browser and get a notifier app or something? Works perfectly fine for me.

I don't like doing this because it breaks the 'Share to Email' workflow in OS X. Not a big deal, but still...

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

DarkJC posted:

I've also heard good things about Airmail.

Airmail is fantastic.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Oh My Science posted:

Airmail is fantastic.

I really like Airmail, but for anyone that relies on S/MIME functionality, it doesn't have it yet, which is a deal breaker for me.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Vmware or Parrallels? Not running anything too major, just need access to a few programs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Maybe try Virtualbox first if it's not mission critical?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Parallels if you use USB3 drives, VMware doesn't support it for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ashex posted:

Parallels if you use USB3 drives, VMware doesn't support it for some reason.

As in passthrough? I use VM's mounted on USB3 drives almost exclusively.