Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Andrew_1985 posted:

So with our filler Antagonist being able to control any living animal with his devil fruit power, I'm fully expecting Brook to be the saviour.

Terrible theory?

Honestly I am more expecting a "MY WILLPOWER IS TOO STRONG TO BE CONTROLLED! RRRRWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!" moment where Luffy fights through the control and knocks Breed's block off.

I don't see why Law couldn't just surgery the bands off, but that will surely be attempted at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

I really liked Don Krieg...

People talk about Arlong Park being the defining moment in the series, but Baratie works so much better for that IMO, partly because Kreig's such an underhanded cowardly shithead. Seeing a guy who thinks he's greater than God have his cheap tricks and armor powered through by Luffy's bare hands is basically the "Holy poo poo" moment where One Piece goes from a goofy children's magic pirate cartoon to a...goofy children's magic pirate cartoon with cool moments.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

Honestly I am more expecting a "MY WILLPOWER IS TOO STRONG TO BE CONTROLLED! RRRRWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!" moment where Luffy fights through the control and knocks Breed's block off.

I don't see why Law couldn't just surgery the bands off, but that will surely be attempted at some point.

It looked like Law would have successfully done it, but Luffy stopped him, hence why they bothered to animate Luffy stopping them. So I am trying to figure out what will prevent him from doing it later. But I think we all know to expect another friendly-fire arc like with that seahorse where we get to see the Strawhats fight each other. I'm calling it now, there will be a Zoro vs Sanji battle, maybe Zoro vs Luffy. Though we have a chance to see Zoro vs Brook, but I feel like Brook was never made to really be a "swordsman", just more like a guy that fights with a sword. Maybe this time we'll have some longer battles.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Shadow0 posted:

It looked like Law would have successfully done it, but Luffy stopped him, hence why they bothered to animate Luffy stopping them. So I am trying to figure out what will prevent him from doing it later. But I think we all know to expect another friendly-fire arc like with that seahorse where we get to see the Strawhats fight each other. I'm calling it now, there will be a Zoro vs Sanji battle, maybe Zoro vs Luffy. Though we have a chance to see Zoro vs Brook, but I feel like Brook was never made to really be a "swordsman", just more like a guy that fights with a sword. Maybe this time we'll have some longer battles.

Zoro vs Luffy since the awakening of Zoro's Haki would end in a fairly predictable manner, I would think. Luffy doesn't fair well against people who are proficient in the use of sharp objects.

But yes, that is probably where this is going to go.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Shadow0 posted:

I don't know, he never seems to have any immunities that would have been granted to him for being a skeleton, eg poison.

He's immune as poo poo to having his head knocked off, we've seen that!

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I like Don Krieg too, we haven't got many villains that rely on actual weapons instead of a devil fruit power or superhuman strength.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
No new episode this week?

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Another filler arc episode this week. I wonder if it's simply going to be Luffy & Law becoming super friends with Ceasar and Chopper as comic relief.

If they can't hear the guy in control then he's effectively powerless, right?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Andrew_1985 posted:

If they can't hear the guy in control then he's effectively powerless, right?

I think that may have been the point of the part where Caesar didn't do anything because he didn't hear and then Law looking like he had an idea, but knowing anime-writing, they're probably going to never use this fact.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Shadow0 posted:

I think that may have been the point of the part where Caesar didn't do anything because he didn't hear and then Law looking like he had an idea, but knowing anime-writing, they're probably going to never use this fact.

Between that and the scene where he used the rampaging Luffy to destroy the platform, Law seemed to spend the episode testing the limits of the Pet-Pet fruit. They seem to have complete free will until instructed otherwise. I'm guessing Law teleported both himself and Luffy to safety before they hit the water.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Anyone notice that as Luffy is being thrown out of the building and into the sea he has 2 japanese characters on his chest instead of a scar?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Suspicious Lump posted:

Anyone notice that as Luffy is being thrown out of the building and into the sea he has 2 japanese characters on his chest instead of a scar?

http://imgur.com/vNSC3hC

Oooops, accidently hit quote.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Suspicious Lump posted:

http://imgur.com/vNSC3hC

Oooops, accidently hit quote.

It says "help, trapped in animation studio"

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I think those are poorly drawn muscles

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Lump posted:

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I think those are poorly drawn muscles

Yeah, it's not Japanese.

Actually what happened was Luffy died there and the series is over. He was killed by a filler character, the greatest twist in anime history.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
There was a new intro this week! I've no idea what Blackbeard & Luffy started yelling at eachother during it though.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It was just the usual generic "I won't lose! I'm gonna be the pirate king!" stuff.
The opening spoiled a lot of characters, though, including one you aren't supposed to know is working for Doflamingo yet. Oh well! Seeing Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji fighting the 3 admirals was neat though.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Seeing the breakfast scene animated was loving magical. Goddamn do I love Law/Strawhat shenanigans.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I love how they all have those fabulous hats in the new opening.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

The opening spoiled a lot of characters, though, including one you aren't supposed to know is working for Doflamingo yet. Oh well! Seeing Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji fighting the 3 admirals was neat though.

Not to mention spoiling that Blackbeard is Usopp's evil older brother.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

The opening spoiled a lot of characters, though, including one you aren't supposed to know is working for Doflamingo yet.

Good thing I habitually skip over the opening. Turns a 22 minute show into a quick 15.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

lowercase16 posted:

Good thing I habitually skip over the opening. Turns a 22 minute show into a quick 15.

I like to watch the We Are intro during the actual intro.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was really hoping that Luffy wouldn't have cared about the fruit. And then Don Quixote's plan to lure him into the Colosseum would initially fail, but then he ends up there later anyway or something. It's kind of not in his character to want the fruit. It's Ace's power, not like actually Ace. And Ace only got the fruit long after they had grown up together. I don't know, it just seems too materialistic for Luffy.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

I was really hoping that Luffy wouldn't have cared about the fruit. And then Don Quixote's plan to lure him into the Colosseum would initially fail, but then he ends up there later anyway or something. It's kind of not in his character to want the fruit. It's Ace's power, not like actually Ace. And Ace only got the fruit long after they had grown up together. I don't know, it just seems too materialistic for Luffy.

His name isn't Don Quixote, its Tanjihado Lofulamingo Doflamingo!

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
It's not about wanting the fruit so much as not wanting some jerk to grab it. I don't get people acting like Luffy can't get sentimental over something like his brothers fruit, it's pretty in character for him to dump everything just because he'd feel weird letting some random doofus grab it. He does a lot of junk just because the alternative would be boring or sketchy, this is just another case of that as I see it.

Bluebomberimo
Jan 25, 2014

Mulderman posted:

I love how they all have those fabulous hats in the new opening.

The color coded costumes they wear gave me a good laugh as well, even more so when Chopper was the one in Pink. It makes sense that he would be but hot drat did it give me a good chuckle.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Shadow0 posted:

I don't know, it just seems too materialistic for Luffy.

Remember when Luffy's first instinct upon finding the city of gold was to immediately jack as much bling as possible and run off with it? :v:

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Are these episodes filler? I thought One Piece went into filler territory for a while.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Nope, One Piece filler never lasts that long compared to other shonen anime. There were 3 episodes of filler but we've been back in the main story for a few weeks now.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Well drat. Is it just two or three episodes?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
626-628 were filler. There's been 4 episodes since then so you're not too far behind.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Which is really too bad, we need some filler so the anime team doesn't screw this arc over like they did Marineford or anything post Water 7/Enies lobby.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Well, they seem to be adapting 75% of a chapter per episode, so...

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
I feel like it's more about the anime team (s), specifically the writers, getting their poo poo together at this point than it is about the anime not catching up to the manga.
Dressrosa in the manga has Oda's breakneck pace cranked up to 11 with a bunch of things happening off page at the same time, the reader only witnessing the results and/or part of the action. Hopefully the anime folks will take advantage of this, fill in those gaps and come up with something watchable for their filler, as opposed to everything moving in slow motion and dragging out every gag.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Silento posted:

His name isn't Don Quixote, its Tanjihado Lofulamingo Doflamingo!

I have no idea why I keep doing that.

Spidder posted:

Hopefully the anime folks will take advantage of this, fill in those gaps and come up with something watchable for their filler, as opposed to everything moving in slow motion and dragging out every gag.

I really hope so because I feel like I'm about to hate Sanji even more. I thought the whole point of the Strawhats was supposed to be their unbreakable bond. Usoppu's temporary leaving was a huge deal, as was Robin's. Now Sanji's ready to betray everyone because he found a hot girl? I mean All Blue was a pretty lame dream to begin with, especially since realistically it would make more sense near the mountain they came in at, but it feels like he really doesn't care about it that much. I guess all the characters have slowly become characterizations of themselves though. The same jokes have been made too many times perhaps.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Spidder posted:

Hopefully the anime folks will take advantage of this, fill in those gaps and come up with something watchable for their filler, as opposed to everything moving in slow motion and dragging out every gag.

Shadow0 posted:

I really hope so because I feel like I'm about to hate Sanji even more.

Dont get your hopes up because they've had the chance to do that stuff since Marineford and havent done anything but long still shots and stretching out scenes to their breaking point in order to fill an episode with a single chapter. Its been years people, just accept that this is what the show is and will be for quite some time.

KoB fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 10, 2014

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

KoB posted:

Dont get your hopes up because they've had the chance to do that stuff since Marineford and havent done anything but long still shots and stretching out scenes to their breaking point in order to fill an episode with a single chapter. Its been years people, just accept that this is what the show is and will be for quite some time.

True, they had their chance, but I think this time around the story is written in such a way that they can't not do it the proper way. It might be just me but I think Oda has been taking the anime into account, and written an arc that, unless they do some proper filler scenes instead of their usual poo poo, will feel really weird and disjointed in TV format compared to a comic, where it works just fine. Sort of like forcing them to do it right.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Spidder posted:

True, they had their chance, but I think this time around the story is written in such a way that they can't not do it the proper way. It might be just me but I think Oda has been taking the anime into account, and written an arc that, unless they do some proper filler scenes instead of their usual poo poo, will feel really weird and disjointed in TV format compared to a comic, where it works just fine. Sort of like forcing them to do it right.

This exact same argument has come up for Punk Hazard and Fishman Island too. Every arc people go "this arc is perfect for filling in the gaps, dont worry." I was one of those people. They have no incentive to do anything different than what they've been doing.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Spidder posted:

They pretty much did do this in the latest episode. A lot of the Sanji stuff wasn't in the manga, but it did help expand on what he was doing while off panel. Some of the Zoro and Kinemon stuff wasn't in the manga, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

KoB posted:

This exact same argument has come up for Punk Hazard and Fishman Island too. Every arc people go "this arc is perfect for filling in the gaps, dont worry." I was one of those people. They have no incentive to do anything different than what they've been doing.

I think the only incentive for them to do something like that would be if the ratings started to suffer. Which probably isn't going to happen anytime soon, if ever.