Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Eh, the dog is cute, so for that reason alone I'll call this The Best Liberal Logic Ever.

Also, his little falling equal/non-equal sign in the bottom right is funny both on it's own, as an an admission that they think all that Created Equal stuff in the Declaration of Independence was a bunch of bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Oh it's my favorite funny image macro, false equivalency raptor.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
By that logic, increasing the estate tax will increase life expectancy because it discourages dying.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
And sales taxes discourage buying things other than non-taxed essentials, gas taxes discourage driving, and payroll taxes discourage working even more. Meanwhile, the capital gains discount subsidizes leeching off hard-working citizens. Or have we made the point that not all taxes and subsidies serve the same purpose?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

ratbert90 posted:

Executive orders from a black man bad.
Now when I see Gene Wilder's face on the internet I can pretty much assume some insulting bullshit is going to follow. Also, executive orders are not in themselves unconstitutional. Also, Obama is far on the low end for the number of executive orders he's done for modern presidents. And hey, since Bush has been retconned I guess we're not going to talk about how he did a zillion signing statements, some of which basically added "Except if I think there's TERRORISM!!!!"

quote:

Muslims == Violent
"Could we not make lovely generalizations about Muslims? They're a pretty diverse group."
*lies about the above statement while making even more generalizations*

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
How come they get to declare a fatwa on people who offend them but I can't? It's not fair! I wanna declare a fatwa but the stupid media and stupid America and stupid Jesus won't let me grumble grumble :argh:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Some christians scare the poo poo out of me and I'm almost a wasp (some catholics in my line).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

nm posted:

Some christians scare the poo poo out of me and I'm almost a wasp (some catholics in my line).

Just the thought that some Protestants believe that anyone who doesn't guess the right religion and the right God will burn in hell for eternity, and that it's not only inevitable but just, and right, and good that the vast majority of humanity was created to be tortured endlessly kinda creeps me out.

Even back in my Protestant days, I was a universalist heretic because I secretly couldn't bring myself to believe that salvation after death is impossible.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

VitalSigns posted:

Just the thought that some Protestants believe that anyone who doesn't guess the right religion and the right God will burn in hell for eternity, and that it's not only inevitable but just, and right, and good that the vast majority of humanity was created to be tortured endlessly kinda creeps me out.

Even back in my Protestant days, I was a universalist heretic because I secretly couldn't bring myself to believe that salvation after death is impossible.

That's not even touching the hosed-up version of sola scriptura that occurs in some parts of American Protestantism, especially the modern Evangelical sects, where they literally believe that even historical context or corrected translations (how they love their KJV) are violations of the faith. This sometimes goes to the lengths of telling followers that questioning the teachings of a preacher, even when he's completely incorrect on the teachings of the Bible, is Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, an unforgivable sin, and will condemn you straight to hell unless you repent now. I've personally seen one that said that denouncing his teachings was an automatic one-way ticket to damnation, no take-backsies, because (according to him) that kind of blasphemy cannot be repented for even in life.

Then again, so much of the Evangelical movement is so far removed from the Gospels, you might as well call them Levitico-Paulites rather than Christians.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

That's not even touching the hosed-up version of sola scriptura that occurs in some parts of American Protestantism, especially the modern Evangelical sects, where they literally believe that even historical context or corrected translations (how they love their KJV) are violations of the faith. This sometimes goes to the lengths of telling followers that questioning the teachings of a preacher, even when he's completely incorrect on the teachings of the Bible, is Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, an unforgivable sin, and will condemn you straight to hell unless you repent now. I've personally seen one that said that denouncing his teachings was an automatic one-way ticket to damnation, no take-backsies, because (according to him) that kind of blasphemy cannot be repented for even in life.

Then again, so much of the Evangelical movement is so far removed from the Gospels, you might as well call them Levitico-Paulites rather than Christians.

"God blessed His Holy Word in English" :bahgawd:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

This is historically incorrect, right? I feel like an idiot for even asking if a Chick tract has factual errors but I don't know my bible history.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Are there officially blessed translations into other languages?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

Don't be silly, God doesn't speak those barbarian languages.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

VitalSigns posted:

"God blessed His Holy Word in English" :bahgawd:

Kinda? I mean it did have the Apocrypha but it handled them sort of oddly. They were rather concerned about the idea of translating the Bible but the rest of it seems dubious.
Chick is totally batshit crazy about Catholics though so you can generally assume anything by him about the Vatican is horse crap on some level.

The conspiracy about the apocrypha is pretty dumb anyway, it's not some attempt to hide secrets or something, most of them are just of more dubious authenticity than the books that did make it into the Bible (And that's saying a lot). It's like accusing Tolkien of hiding Lord of the Rings fan fiction and not putting those in the appendixes.

VideoTapir posted:

Depends on who's authority you're asking. The Catholic Church does have official translations it uses in Mass in every country it practices in. Protestant sects are often more divisive, since they might be lacking a centralized authority.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 6, 2014

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

VideoTapir posted:

Fake Edit: I totally read the quoted post wrong, but I discovered some amusing and terrifying Jack Chick stuff, so here it is anyway:

They've even gone as far as to customize a few for other races, though the depictions of them get a bit worrisome. For example, here's a page from the Chinese version of This Was Your Life.

And there's now one called "Your Best Life," which is apparently This Was Your Life but with a Muslim protagonist, so you can tell Muslims as well as non-Evangelical Christians that God doesn't give a poo poo if you've been a good person, and is only interested in whether or not you're best buds with Jesus.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RagnarokAngel posted:

Chick is totally batshit crazy about Catholics though
Even that is kind of an understatement. Chick believes that Catholics worship Mary, and also a Sun God who is Ba'al, and every Catholic owes their loyalty to the Vatican State first and foremost, and their home nation second, and most Catholics are unaware of this because they are baptized before they are old enough to believe, so even though they think they are praying to Jesus and the same Abrahamic God as other Christians, the Pope is somehow able to channel all of this belief to his Sun-god Ba'al, possibly through his magic hat.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
How do they manage to make something look so shopped in black and white?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Even that is kind of an understatement. Chick believes that Catholics worship Mary, and also a Sun God who is Ba'al, and every Catholic owes their loyalty to the Vatican State first and foremost, and their home nation second, and most Catholics are unaware of this because they are baptized before they are old enough to believe, so even though they think they are praying to Jesus and the same Abrahamic God as other Christians, the Pope is somehow able to channel all of this belief to his Sun-god Ba'al, possibly through his magic hat.

Chick based all of his views on Catholics on the work of "ex-Catholic priest" Alberto Rivera. Rivera claimed to be a Jesuit priest who was sent around the world to damage and destroy Protestant churches on orders from the Vatican. However, because of Jesus he was able to renounce his evil ways and escape the clutches of the Catholic church. He also claims the Catholic Church created communism, Islam and Nazism. As well as being behind both world wars and numerous assassinations.

In reality Rivera was a conman and a fraud and his version of his life story is full of holes contradicted by many public records.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
I just had this show up on my wall.

:ghost:The Libertarian Eye.:ghost:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The math kind of breaks down when you realize not one of those 2 million employees is working 8 hours every single day of the year. Many are part timers, and even full timers cap out around 40 hours a week(many are, sadly, more than that but that's the expected amount). If they're counting executives and such, they wouldn't see a raise because they're paid by salary, not hourly wages, so they don't factor in either. I don't even know how good these numbers are since it doesn't cite a thing.

Plus if you're paying them more, they will buy more. Most likely from Wal Mart since they work there anyway, they can do their grocery shopping right after work and save a trip, so the money would go right back into them anyway.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 6, 2014

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
Wal-mart also only employs 1.4 million in the United States.

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

prahanormal posted:

I just had this show up on my wall.

:ghost:The Libertarian Eye.:ghost:

Excuse me, Mr. Giant Eye, sir, I have a question. Is this too small a violin to play when Wal-Mart goes out of business?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

CoolZidane posted:

Excuse me, Mr. Giant Eye, sir, I have a question. Is this too small a violin to play when Wal-Mart goes out of business?

We may not cry about the executives but there are a crapload of people who are working there because they have no alternative options. I despise walmart, I really do, but if they go out of business tomorrow it's not the executives who are going to suffer, they have enough money to keep going.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
I know the famous Berkeley brief probably isn't adored by right-wingers, but it seemed pretty solid last time I read it. Their analysis said increasing WalMart's minimum pay to $12/hr would cost their average consumer $12.49 yearly, if they passed on every single expense to the consumers.

http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/retail/bigbox_livingwage_policies11.pdf
http://laborcenter.berkeley.edu/research/walmart.shtml

That's a lot more believable than some libertarian macro which begins with incorrect figures and only gets less believable as it proceeds. It's like a dumber version of Papa John, literal castle dweller with a moat, complaining about a price hike of $0.20 per order to pay for employee healthcare.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Just walk into your boss's office with that trusty handgun and demand to be paid as much as the men!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I did some napkin math. Obviously you should use actual research instead of this.

They have 2.2 million employees worldwide. Obviously that number isn't the right one.

I found a resource that says that there's 1.3 million in the US, of which about 475,000 make more than 25K a year. That leaves 825000 that I estimate make $8.85 an hour.

Giving only them a raise to $15 gives a much more manageable figure of around $10 billion.

That doesn't take into consideration any additional spending from the employees, tax savings, price increases etc.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is historically incorrect, right? I feel like an idiot for even asking if a Chick tract has factual errors but I don't know my bible history.

It's ridiculously incorrect. In fact, King James and the Puritans did not get along well at all, and apparently King James wanted to limit the amount of Puritan influence on the KJV. This was done by eliminating notes in the margins, as well as translating certain words to be more favorable to the Church of England (such as "church" instead of "congregation"). Because of this, the Puritans actually favored the Geneva Bible. I'm not sure if there's any hard evidence of what translation the Puritans took to New England, but given that one of the reasons they came over here was to get away from the Church of England, it seems pretty unlikely that they'd use the translation that the CoE favored and would probably have taken Geneva Bibles.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I found this quote, re: The Religious Right, and I pray that it's real.

“I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it.” Billy Graham–American Evangelist (Parade, 1981)

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

I found this quote, re: The Religious Right, and I pray that it's real.

“I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it.” Billy Graham–American Evangelist (Parade, 1981)

Wouldn't be to surprising actually. Billy Graham is super conservative personally, but he has tried to stay publicly non-political. He is all about preaching and Jesus.

There has actually been some people saying that his more recent endorsement of the NC amendment banning same sex marriage were his shitheel son Franklin taking advantage of him now that he has cancer and Parkinson's disease. Especially since he said this:

quote:

At a San Francisco Crusade in 1997 Billy Graham stated: “There are other sins. Why do we jump on that sin [homosexuality] as though it’s the greatest sin? … What I want to preach about in San Francisco is the love of God. People need to know that God loves them no matter what their ethnic background or sexual orientation. I have so many gay friends, and we remain friends.”

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

I really enjoyed this one.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
We're gonna need some bigger conference rooms.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Sir Rolo posted:

I know we're all supposed to think "Oh, right, the government holds us in such contempt and thinks we're all idiots", but...any group of taxpayers that was capable of coming to and enacting a rational decision regarding the dispensation of enough funding to actually create or maintain infrastructure would be acting as a government-like entity. Because taxpayers aren't good at "dealing with companies" beyond retail poo poo, and especially not on that kind of project, with the amount of research and oversight that has to go into it.

Libertopia is still the stupidest country. :patriot:

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I did some napkin math. Obviously you should use actual research instead of this.

They have 2.2 million employees worldwide. Obviously that number isn't the right one.

I found a resource that says that there's 1.3 million in the US, of which about 475,000 make more than 25K a year. That leaves 825000 that I estimate make $8.85 an hour.

Giving only them a raise to $15 gives a much more manageable figure of around $10 billion.

That doesn't take into consideration any additional spending from the employees, tax savings, price increases etc.

I think I would also like to have the total cost their employees have to rely on public services and assistance deducted from the companies gross profits.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sir Rolo posted:

Yeah, it would be loving awesome if private companies had the power to sieze land and create easements over land without an intervening body representing the rule of law. Smooth sailing.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

"Women have benefeited hugely from guns" - A man.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I know we're all supposed to think "Oh, right, the government holds us in such contempt and thinks we're all idiots", but...any group of taxpayers that was capable of coming to and enacting a rational decision regarding the dispensation of enough funding to actually create or maintain infrastructure would be acting as a government-like entity. Because taxpayers aren't good at "dealing with companies" beyond retail poo poo, and especially not on that kind of project, with the amount of research and oversight that has to go into it.

While I don't watch Family Guy much anymore, there was one recent episode that nailed this. The Tea Party took over Quahog and they abolished the local government, and predictably everything turned to poo poo. Eventually, Peter proposed that they create a system of mutually agreed upon rules, enforced by public servants elected on a regular basis, and paid for by contributions from every person based on their wealth. They all agree, and Peter brags that they did it all "without any government."

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

It's even better because, at least where I live, the government DOES build the roads and maintain them. I very rarely see private companies doing any road work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Sir Rolo posted:

Sure, let's do this. Of course then since it's not land that the company owns, the people will have to agree where and how to build them. I guess they'll then have to get someone to represent the people since the company can't work efficiently with the entire group of people shouting at them. Maybe the people could take a vote on who would do that, or how the road gets built. Then pool their money to pay the company.

We don't need no government!