Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

NewcastleBrown posted:

tl;dr : New cat isn't eating/drinking/boxing nearing 48hours since last meal, 36 hours since last pee.

Assuming he hasn't started taking care of himself by the time I head back home for lunch at noon (about one hour from now) should I rush him to the emergency vet, or should we give him a bit more time to settle down and settle in? Again, I have a call in to the vet but they haven't called back yet and I'm worried. I'm going to call them again when I check on him either way, if he hasn't taken care of some business by then...

Just in case you haven't spoken to your vet yet, have you tried warming up some wet food? The stankest wet food you can find will entice him to nibble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

Bad Mitten posted:

Just in case you haven't spoken to your vet yet, have you tried warming up some wet food? The stankest wet food you can find will entice him to nibble.

I talked to the vet and she wasn't quite worried yet. She had suggestions about putting chicken baby food or mushed-up water/pate on his nose and some other things. Based on the amount of urine on the blanket that had been in the carrier she thinks he must have peed on it later than the hand-off. I also picked up one of those Feliway plug-in deals on my way home and set that up. Hopefully it helps!

E: Oh yeah, the whole reason for responding: I'll try heating some up. I think I'll have to heat it on the stove though. I haven't had a microwave in years. Pan-fried cat food, anyone? :barf:

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

NewcastleBrown posted:

I talked to the vet and she wasn't quite worried yet. She had suggestions about putting chicken baby food or mushed-up water/pate on his nose and some other things. Based on the amount of urine on the blanket that had been in the carrier she thinks he must have peed on it later than the hand-off. I also picked up one of those Feliway plug-in deals on my way home and set that up. Hopefully it helps!

E: Oh yeah, the whole reason for responding: I'll try heating some up. I think I'll have to heat it on the stove though. I haven't had a microwave in years. Pan-fried cat food, anyone? :barf:

Stick it in a dish in the toaster oven/big oven. We don't have a microwave and that's how we re-heat food that isn't soup. So long as the dish is oven-safe and you use potholders, you'll be fine. Just don't give the cat the hot dish. (I add this because I'm the sort of absent-minded idiot that would do just that if not careful.)

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.
Yar, everything KTB says is true - keeping your cat in is Just Not Done here. I've keep all mine in now because I lost my dear Mr. Spooky to the outdoors a couple of years ago (and also am in the midst of bringing up babies, taking care of ferals) and everyone thinks I'm weird and semi-abusive as a result. They seem to do OK - if I have one on their own I play with them when they're bored but find I don't really need to very often if I have more in the house. They just demand cuddles and food really.

I'd also add that the indoor/outdoor only attitude causes problems with rehoming because unless you live in a croft in the middle of nowhere some cat charities will turn you down. My neighbour is a fantasic cat owner, we live on a quiet one way street, she has a lovely big garden and nice house and still it was deemed not safe enough. This was Cats Protection who pretty much demand that any non-disabled/non-FIV+ cat be allowed out.

Brief update on my feral tribe - mum is booked in for spay next week because the vet said it was the main priority. I may also take two of the babies to my friend who's rehoming them because the vet also said they are now old enough to be away from mum. They're still too young to be neutered, but I've known this friend for a billion years and am 100% certain she will take care of their neutering/spaying, so that's groovy. She's always had cats.

Please pray to anything that you hold dear that I can get mum in the carrier. She's often hiding from her many children during the day and I have some mobility problems so catching her will be hard to do without braining myself or her. She's does come to me but isn't really food or treats motivated. She's peace and quiet motivated which doesn't really go with imprisonment and vet trips.

Plus I hate my lovely carrier - the pegs keep jiggling loose and it seems you can only get ones like that in the UK now. I know at least 2 people who have lost cats on random vet visits due to breakouts.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

NewcastleBrown posted:

You can also mix in hot water, rather than trying to make some cat-food patties in a pan.

I hope your little guy finally gives up and lets go, so to speak!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

OssiansFolly posted:

I googled "outdoor cat life expectancy" and got many results that echo'd the same thing I said before. Cats outdoors live on average 3-7 years while cats indoors live 13-20 years. It may be even different in GB than in the US, but I can't imagine thats the case. Most studies that I've seen or articles that site a study will site the Humane Society of US, City, State, etc. as their source, but a couple cited Discovery.com and smaller vet schools.

Link 1

Link 2 (includes blurb on GB belief)

Link 3

Again, this is all US-based data. No offense, but this isn't exactly breaking new ground here. I personally keep my cat indoors and would do so even in a safer place like the UK, but I don't believe anything is going to change a pretty deep-rooted cultural practice with regards to pets.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
There is no way my mom is going to even attempt to give my cat his antibiotics as soon as I leave. :smith: Just kind of hoping he doesn't get some horrible infection I guess god dammit.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Kerfuffle posted:

There is no way my mom is going to even attempt to give my cat his antibiotics as soon as I leave. :smith: Just kind of hoping he doesn't get some horrible infection I guess god dammit.

Why not? If she won't, is there anyone who could come by to do it? How long are you gone?

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

When it comes to outside cats, even if they were perfectly safe, I'm more concerned about how much they endanger local wildlife (and potentially eat crappy parasite-filled wild animals too). If I lived in a safe, open area and could make a cat run or something I'd probably do that because I am overly concerned about WHAT IF MY CAT EATS AN ENDANGERED BIRD. :byodood: Plus I am tired of deworming and don't wanna do that again. Giving cats medication is not fun in general.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
So, my buddy's cat had a bladder blockage, and got it fixed last thursday.

He stayed at the vet for a day or two, and they sent him home after he was peeing around the catheter. Kidney functions were back to normal, urine was clear, life was good.

He started eating his UR wet food, and apparently peed some in the house (which was apparently yellow), and he discovered earlier today a red splotch on the carpet where the cat had apparently peed on it sometime in the last day or so. He was taken back to the vet today for the crystal check to make sure the diet is working, and didn't pee for almost the entire day. Personally I think he was holding it in because he knew it's what the vet wanted, and he was going to make him wait.

So, they did a bladder draw, and got bloody urine. This matches up with the red splotch he found.

So, besides having a cold, he apparently has a bad UTI as well.

My friend is freaking the gently caress out because he loves this cat, and I'm trying to tell him everything is cool because the cat is at the vet's office and if something goes wrong, it's RIGHT THERE to get worked on. He's worried because they close at 12 tomorrow and aren't open on sunday that his cat is gonna shuffle off this mortal coil, and I tried to tell him the kennel people there medicate the animals, feed em, take care of em, etc and if there is a problem they call the doc.

So... what I was hoping is someone here had stories of a bladder blockage that worked out ok, so I can point to them as evidence the cosmos is not trying to kill his cat.

Vet's got him on amoxillin? as an anti biotic and has the food and water all set up so I think the little dude is gonna do fine, but he's wigging (as I probably would if I had a pet that was ill), so if anyone can share some info, please feel free.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.

OssiansFolly posted:

Cats outdoors live on average 3-7 years
Woah, really? Growing up, my parents let our gaggle of cats go outdoors. They ran into associated health problems, but I don't think we ever had one die or vanish younger than 13. And this was in a busy suburb in the US. I guess they were just super lucky. :psyduck:

(The last remaining cat from my childhood got FIV last year, which finally convinced my mom to keep her indoors.)

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Pizza had a crystals issue in the fall. Similar story, went to the vet, got antibiotics and prescribed urinary food, things seemed rad, then a relapse and another extended vet trip. He never had to stay overnight, but hopefully your friend will be relieved to know that with the help of some bladder relaxing drugs and continued RX food intake, pizza is currently right as rain.

Best wishes to the cat

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Ev posted:

Why not? If she won't, is there anyone who could come by to do it? How long are you gone?
June.

He's the easiest cat I've ever given meds to. She is so weird about anything that requires effort and no one else in this house is keen on it either for reasons I can't give other than flakiness.

Anyone know if any vet in the area will prescribe pill form meds if you bring what you were given at another vet? Our is closed tomorrow and sunday and I'd like to try pill pockets asap.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

So... what I was hoping is someone here had stories of a bladder blockage that worked out ok, so I can point to them as evidence the cosmos is not trying to kill his cat.

Ichabod had bladder crystals in July. He ended up at the vet hospital and stayed a couple nights. He cleared up with the catheter and meds and was sent back home with us. He peed well for a day or so, with us giving him daily meds but ended up re blocked and had to spend a few more nights at the vet. He's on prescription food now and has been just fine since. We even just had Ichabod's urine re checked and all is well.

NewcastleBrown fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 4, 2014

chronofx
Mar 6, 2004

Hey guys, it's me
breakycpk!

OssiansFolly posted:

Do you approach them and pick them up every few hours and just give them a treat or pet them? I'd do that at least twice as much as you do the medicine. I know you try and approach them to just pet them, but try getting them in the mindset that MOST of the time you are just going to give them a treat or some attention with pets.

My female cat has always had small medical issues to where she NEVER liked being picked up and pet. I would pick her up and she'd growl and swipe at me (declawed), but I would keep doing it and hold her just a tad longer each time. Eventually she realized that I'm not always going to put her in a cage or give her medicine. Now she is great about being held and pet. She now encourages it and will come talk to me and look for me to pick her up and pet her.

It may be worth a try...

Yeah, I've been doing this a decent amount since I adopted them. A few times a day I'll come by and start gently petting them when they're resting in their crate. The boy purrs, the girl just kinda lies there and tolerates it (but at least doesn't hiss which is better than when I have to pick her up to give her her medicine). Also, since I have to pick them up to give them their meds anyway, I've tried holding them to my chest and petting them for 10-20 minutes after the medicine is over. After a little while, they start purring, but while they are doing so, they're also squirming to get out (not constantly, but they keep on testing if they can get away periodically), so I'm not sure whether they are actually enjoying it or not and am reluctant to subject them to it for too long.

I've also spent a solid 1-2 hours each day playing with them (which fortunately they do seem to enjoy, as long as I don't get too close to them or ever try to make contact). I've also been trying the whole "make sure they know the food is coming from you" thing, succeeded in getting the boy to put his paws up on my lap to get to his food bowl, but the girl just backed away when she realized she'd have to get that close to me to do it. For the most part, they are still incredibly timid and will just bolt instantly if they are in the open and ever see so much as my finger coming near them, let alone a hand. I'm just hoping that the meds are the main reason why they're so afraid of me!

chronofx fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 4, 2014

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

NewcastleBrown posted:

tl;dr : New cat isn't eating/drinking/boxing nearing 48hours since last meal, 36 hours since last pee.

All better now!

Yesterday around noon I put in a Feliway plug-in. Last night I spent a couple hours hanging out and petting him. He eventually was purring and would push his head into my hand when I stopped. When he started cleaning his front paws I dribbled some water on them and at one point he drank a small amount of tuna water I put in front of him and he ate four or five kibbles I offered. Felt like a good start.

This morning his kibble dish was completely empty, his water was very low, and his box has been used!

Such a relief!

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

chronofx posted:

Also, since I have to pick them up to give them their meds anyway, I've tried holding them to my chest and petting them for 10-20 minutes after the medicine is over. After a little while, they start purring, but while they are doing so, they're also squirming to get out (not constantly, but they keep on testing if they can get away periodically), so I'm not sure whether they are actually enjoying it or not and am reluctant to subject them to it for too long.
Purring can be a stress response too; something like nervous laughter. I would quit holding them after, since it sounds like they don't like it in the first place and it's just compounding their bad associations with you. Make med time quick and nonchalant, and add in more low-pressure treat sessions so that playtime and quiet treat time make up at least 4/5 interactions.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
Like boxes of poo poo in your house?

GET A CAT

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded

No, seriously, I love kitties, I stole that gag from the Onion.
Well, *I* thought it was funny.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 5, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Stanley is acting weird. and of course our usual vet doesn't have sunday hours. She's uncoordinated and a little twitchy, but still affectionate, eating, drinking normally, and such. She's now in my room with water and a warm place to sleep close to the heater, quite comfortable (she's not a 'snuggle on the bed' cat, she's already quite broken). The only thing I can think of is that she has worms, and I dosed both the cats' food with a liquid wormer. She probably ate both servings and is now sick. But that was two days ago and has been normal since.

The wormer's active ingredient is Piperzine, and poor coordination is listed on the web as a sign overdose, but along with vomiting and diarrhea. She has neither of those latter symptoms though.

So, find a vet that's open tomorrow morning, get a stool sample, and hope for the best. loving cat. She's an adult indoor only DSH, a little overweight. Anyone have experience with this? It seems quite mild for now. Will the vet be able to give her anything?

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 5, 2014

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

Stanley is acting weird. and of course our usual vet doesn't have sunday hours. She's uncoordinated and a little twitchy, but still affectionate, eating, drinking normally, and such. She's now in my room with water and a warm place to sleep close to the heater, quite comfortable (she's not a 'snuggle on the bed' cat, she's already quite broken). The only thing I can think of is that she has worms, and I dosed both the cats' food with a liquid wormer. She probably ate both servings and is now sick. But that was two days ago and has been normal since.

The wormer's active ingredient is Piperzine, and poor coordination is listed on the web as a sign overdose, but along with vomiting and diarrhea. She has neither of those latter symptoms though.

So, find a vet that's open tomorrow morning, get a stool sample, and hope for the best. loving cat. She's an adult indoor only DSH, a little overweight. Anyone have experience with this? It seems quite mild for now. Will the vet be able to give her anything?

There's no antidote for piperazine, the treatments for overdoses are all symptomatic. Since she's still eating and drinking they might not need to do anything other than have you monitor, but it depends on if they see anything strange on Neuro exam. So far, sounds like a mild overdose - seizures and paralysis are the worrying adverse effects at high doses, but if they were going to happen you should've seen them by now. Usually you'll see the worst of the onset of clinical signs within a day or so, and it can take up to 3-5 days for the signs to go away.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Thanks for your response! It was very helpful and informative, as well as a bit reassuring. We're currently monitoring Stan closely. Vet appointment in a few hours.

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My cat had some serious crystal blockage that didn't want to break up, but the vet kept at it and eventually got everything to clear up :) He's on a special diet now, but it's worth it! (Did I mention I found him on the streets in Detroit? Kitty's had a hard life; it's the least I could do for him)

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Butts is finally eating on his own again! Of course, it's craptastic Iams fish flavored stuff (wet, at least), but I'll wean him back onto goodness once he's better. :3:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

DressCodeBlue posted:

Butts is finally eating on his own again! Of course, it's craptastic Iams fish flavored stuff (wet, at least), but I'll wean him back onto goodness once he's better. :3:

It's better to eat garbage than starve, hooray

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Kerfuffle posted:

June.

He's the easiest cat I've ever given meds to. She is so weird about anything that requires effort and no one else in this house is keen on it either for reasons I can't give other than flakiness.

Anyone know if any vet in the area will prescribe pill form meds if you bring what you were given at another vet? Our is closed tomorrow and sunday and I'd like to try pill pockets asap.

Might depend on what exactly was prescribed. How long is he supposed to be on the antibiotics? Maybe try calling the vet that gave you the prescription and seeing what they think?

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I'm at my wit's end. My cat (3, female, spayed) just won't stop loving around and waking me up every 2 hours. I try to play with her before I go to sleep, but she's just the type of cat to be like "enough" after like 2 minutes of being pet and doesn't care about toys and would rather play with pennies on the floor. I bought Da Bird and she just does not give a poo poo about it. I start a new job this week and I can't handle waking up at 1,3, and 5 AM because she wants to breathe on my face.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Coconut Indian posted:

I'm at my wit's end. My cat (3, female, spayed) just won't stop loving around and waking me up every 2 hours. I try to play with her before I go to sleep, but she's just the type of cat to be like "enough" after like 2 minutes of being pet and doesn't care about toys and would rather play with pennies on the floor. I bought Da Bird and she just does not give a poo poo about it. I start a new job this week and I can't handle waking up at 1,3, and 5 AM because she wants to breathe on my face.

The only solution to this I've ever found is playing dead. Giving her any attention at all (even to chase her away) reinforces the behavior. However irritating the cat is being (even sticking a wet nose in my ear), I have to lie still and pretend I'm asleep. Eventually they catch on that I'm not going to respond when I'm in bed and they learn to leave me alone. The instant the alarm/radio kicks on, though, they're in my face and want to be fed.

You may have to save your behavioral conditioning lessons for the weekends, though, and simply lock her out of the room (or lock her in her litterbox room) at night. Again, she will howl and scratch and carry on, but you have to ignore her and not reward her behavior with attention.

It's going to be miserable for a while, unfortunately, and there's probably no way to avoid it.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Or you could close the door and put those SST cat things along the door so that it sprays her with compressed air if she tries to scratch the door. That's what I do. Just make sure to replace the canister with Dust-Off because the ones that come with the product are tiny and they don't last long.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
This is Stanley Rainbowbeard. We're not sure what breed he is, exactly, could be Maine Coon, Turkish Van (his coloration and temperament match the the Van most closely from what we can tell) or Norwegian Forest or some mixture thereof. We got him from a the Animal Welfare League at a PetSmart, and they didn't know either. He follows us around constantly, and loves to play with things on strings, and chasing and fetching small fuzzy things. Basically, he's a dog in a cat's body, and even cat-haters love him! Can anyone identify his breed? We're just curious.

As you can see, he loves his CrinkleBall. It's his favorite toy IN THE WORLD. He never gets tired of it, but he... loses it sometimes under the couch or other hard to reach places.

Now, my question is, where can I get more of these?

It's made of some kind of crinkly tissue., and has been dropped in the sink a couple times so it's a little discolored. My girlfriend bought it on clearance at Target four or five years ago, before I met her. She can't remember the name of the brand or even what the item is called.

We've tried getting replacements, but they're not the same. They don't weigh the same, don't crinkle correctly, don't throw properly, and they don't have the same "biteability" as Stanley's CrinkleBall. He's not into playing fetch with anything but the CrinkleBall.

Does anyone know where I can get some more of these? It's great that Stanley loves it, but it's kind of ratty and my girlfriend would prefer a newer, cleaner model.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

Deteriorata posted:

The only solution to this I've ever found is playing dead. Giving her any attention at all (even to chase her away) reinforces the behavior. However irritating the cat is being (even sticking a wet nose in my ear), I have to lie still and pretend I'm asleep. Eventually they catch on that I'm not going to respond when I'm in bed and they learn to leave me alone. The instant the alarm/radio kicks on, though, they're in my face and want to be fed.

You may have to save your behavioral conditioning lessons for the weekends, though, and simply lock her out of the room (or lock her in her litterbox room) at night. Again, she will howl and scratch and carry on, but you have to ignore her and not reward her behavior with attention.

It's going to be miserable for a while, unfortunately, and there's probably no way to avoid it.

I'll try ignoring her. She knows she's being a pain in the rear end because whenever I sit up to see what the source of the noise is when she's loving with a bag or the printer, she hauls rear end. I can't close the door or she'll act like the world is ending and I'll probably get written up by the HOA.

Thanks for the advice.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

This is Stanley Rainbowbeard. We're not sure what breed he is, exactly, could be Maine Coon, Turkish Van (his coloration and temperament match the the Van most closely from what we can tell) or Norwegian Forest or some mixture thereof. We got him from a the Animal Welfare League at a PetSmart, and they didn't know either. He follows us around constantly, and loves to play with things on strings, and chasing and fetching small fuzzy things. Basically, he's a dog in a cat's body, and even cat-haters love him! Can anyone identify his breed? We're just curious.

Domestic long-hair aka randombred. He's very handsome. :)

(most cats are not purebreds or mixes of purebreds, unlike dogs)

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Now, my question is, where can I get more of these?

It's made of some kind of crinkly tissue., and has been dropped in the sink a couple times so it's a little discolored. My girlfriend bought it on clearance at Target four or five years ago, before I met her. She can't remember the name of the brand or even what the item is called.

We've tried getting replacements, but they're not the same. They don't weigh the same, don't crinkle correctly, don't throw properly, and they don't have the same "biteability" as Stanley's CrinkleBall. He's not into playing fetch with anything but the CrinkleBall.

Does anyone know where I can get some more of these? It's great that Stanley loves it, but it's kind of ratty and my girlfriend would prefer a newer, cleaner model.

It kind of looked like it's made of raffia to me. Could it be these:

http://www.amazon.com/SmartyKat-Scrunchy-Bunch/dp/B005ECUF0Y

Noobicide
Sep 12, 2007
We had to put one of my two 19.5 year old cats to sleep today. He had suffered from chronic renal failure for 1.5 years, and despite losing a lot of weight (he had been over 15 pounds at his heaviest), he had stayed relatively stable with fluid treatments and meds (some of which was for his thyroid). In the last month he developed some kind of dementia, becoming constantly agitated and never purring anymore (as well as being confused and making pathetic groaning-type meows regularly). In the last week he declined even further, and in the last few days he finally seemed to be suffering. He looked nauseous, constantly agitated, unable to sit comfortably, and finally today he stopped eating/drinking and couldn't sit up without help. His heart was racing, his eyes were shrunken, it was finally just too much. Maybe it was selfish to keep him going for so long, but he was an incredible childhood pet for my brother and I. I was 6 when we got him, and his gregarious personality has made him more of a sibling than a pet. We'll miss you :(

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Vacation over, took cat back to the big city today. But freezing rain led to accidents and a jackknifed tractor trailer and turned a four hour trip into an eight hour trip.

Little guy was trying to claw his way out if his carrier so I figured I'd pull over at a rest stop and let him out and give him some food and let him poo poo, instead he just curled up in a ball on my lap for twenty minutes :3:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Ev posted:

Might depend on what exactly was prescribed. How long is he supposed to be on the antibiotics? Maybe try calling the vet that gave you the prescription and seeing what they think?

Well my flight was delayed to hell so looks like I'm stuck here for a few more days and he'll get his meds for awhile longer. I can call the vet myself tomorrow and see what the options are for pill pockets. So that's a small relief at least.

Noobicide posted:

We had to put one of my two 19.5 year old cats to sleep today. He had suffered from chronic renal failure for 1.5 years, and despite losing a lot of weight (he had been over 15 pounds at his heaviest), he had stayed relatively stable with fluid treatments and meds (some of which was for his thyroid). In the last month he developed some kind of dementia, becoming constantly agitated and never purring anymore (as well as being confused and making pathetic groaning-type meows regularly). In the last week he declined even further, and in the last few days he finally seemed to be suffering. He looked nauseous, constantly agitated, unable to sit comfortably, and finally today he stopped eating/drinking and couldn't sit up without help. His heart was racing, his eyes were shrunken, it was finally just too much. Maybe it was selfish to keep him going for so long, but he was an incredible childhood pet for my brother and I. I was 6 when we got him, and his gregarious personality has made him more of a sibling than a pet. We'll miss you :(
Aw I'm sorry. :( Just remember you did him a kindness, it will always feel too early or too late. He clearly had a good long life.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Is there a big difference between nature's miracle and the stuff specifically for cats?

I'm researching it on amazon cause we want to clean my friend's carpets cause his cat tends pee like an overachiever when he's not sick, and there's big and small bottles of stuff, but some is prime eligible and some isn't.

Just wondering if there's an actual difference between em besides a label on the bottle.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Topoisomerase posted:

Domestic long-hair aka randombred. He's very handsome. :)

(most cats are not purebreds or mixes of purebreds, unlike dogs)

Cats are cats, no matter how badly I want mine to be a Norwegian Forest Cat. She even has the built in corpse paint :black101:

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
So one of my cats is going to see the vet on Wednesday. He's been yowling when trying to poop and he's been dragging his butt on the floor, chasing his tail like a madman and licking his butt.

Dr. Google says that these are classic symptoms of internal hemorrhoids. I'm hoping it's nothing more serious, has anyone dealt with hems in their cats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only

Iron Crowned posted:

Cats are cats, no matter how badly I want mine to be a Norwegian Forest Cat. She even has the built in corpse paint :black101:

Our vet tech just told us that Ichabod looks like a Norwegian Forest Cat. Having known nothing about them previously I looked them up and have to agree. Obviously I don't know for sure, but I like to pretend! (:black101:)