Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mister Beeg posted:

Lucky Cow (February 12-14, 2004)

Please tell me we're done with this. Maybe it's just because I read the Political Toon Thread, but any humor here is sucked out by the fact that I know there's people who believe this is literally true.

Nipponophile posted:

Ha ha ha, what?

Mister Beeg made a comment last thread about Sita Sings The Blues running into copyright trouble, so I did some digging on that. This article is absolutely worth reading. This is comparable to the Happy Birthday song in terms of bullshit copyrights that exist for no reason except to extort money from artists, and there's also a helpful link near the bottom where Paley herself states that copyrights have never helped her.

Comics (November 14th 2006)

Just an honest day's wage, that's all anybody wants here.

Boondocks

Doonesbury

F-Minus

FoxTrot

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

This dual plotline whiplash is starting to get annoying.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

That got intimate fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
So across the Slylock Facebook group comes what appears to be a new "Oh, Brother!"?

I guess it could be a repeat since it's been so long since it ran. Maybe 2014 is the year it can return.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Nipponophile posted:

Ha ha ha, what?

:eyepop:

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Apparently Nina's definition of "integrity" is "can't stop whining, ever". I mean, I know Bill Watterson's also hugely anti-merchandising, but at least he didn't devote weeks of Calvin and Hobbes to groaning about it.

And honestly, Nina's commentary wouldn't be so grating to me if it wasn't this perfect storm of eye-rollingly blunt satire wrapped in a blanket of "woe is me".

I like autobio comics because they give you a window onto another person's world view and, kind of like therapy, there are potentially a lot of interesting layers and self-contradictions to consider. Nina's World is not a great piece of work but I also enjoy (in addition to the really fun art and the general rarity of a woman's perspective in cartooning) the bluntness of Paley's work if only as a counterpoint to, say, Walt Kelly's well-crafted but fundamentally shmaltzy repackaging of an editorial cartoon in Pogo.

C+H is a fundamentally different kind of cartoon and, while some politics come through gently - such as commentary on sexism or Mutually Assured Destruction, Watterson is remarkably reticent to present himself to the world. Personally I think it's appropriate to the strip, but it is also his right.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

No, see, I was asking "what" because I wasn't sure I understood you correctly from all the way up on the high horse you're posting from.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Dopefish Lives! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLz7CKg6poA

Since people are posting animated renditions of The Little King, I thought people might be interested in this. It's a 1936 crossover short with Betty Boop. I saw this LOOOOONG before I ever knew that the Little King was a separate comic strip character.

Some of you may be familiar with "Betty Boop Meets Popeye the Sailor", the first animated appearance of Popeye, which was a hit, leading to the sailor getting a series of cartoons that ran into the late 1950s. The Fleischer Bros. were hoping to duplicate the success with other comic strip characters, so they did films where Betty interacts with Henry (who was billed as "The Funniest Living American", which is a total bullshit), Little King (who was already animated years before by the Van Beuren studio), and Little Jimmy. None of them took off and the idea of animating other comic strip characters was dropped.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

This strip and the last one really loving annoy me. Why is this complainworthy? It doesn't strike me as a request that any other kid wouldn't have gotten from some old lady.

And, dude, TWENTY BUCKS! Twenty loving bucks! When I was that age that was a goddamn fortune. It's still a good chunk of change, that's eating out for two days right there. More if there's a good deal somewhere.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 6, 2014

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Redeye Flight posted:

This strip and the last one really loving annoy me. Why is this complainworthy? It doesn't strike me as a request that any other kid wouldn't have gotten from some old lady.

And, dude, TWENTY BUCKS! Twenty loving bucks! When I was that age that was a goddamn fortune.

You see, Huey is a militant black activist but sometimes he reaches too far to take offense or see discrimination.
:redandrover:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Some Guy TT posted:

Please tell me we're done with this. Maybe it's just because I read the Political Toon Thread, but any humor here is sucked out by the fact that I know there's people who believe this is literally true.
Yeah, it's just a one-week thing.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

I like autobio comics because they give you a window onto another person's world view and, kind of like therapy, there are potentially a lot of interesting layers and self-contradictions to consider. Nina's World is not a great piece of work but I also enjoy (in addition to the really fun art and the general rarity of a woman's perspective in cartooning) the bluntness of Paley's work if only as a counterpoint to, say, Walt Kelly's well-crafted but fundamentally shmaltzy repackaging of an editorial cartoon in Pogo.
Autobio comics are a hit-or-miss to me, although I like some (I'm a fan of Keith Knight, for example). I know I make fun of Paley's opinions, but at the same time I do find it refreshing because she's just so blunt about what she thinks. Also, very little comics posted here are drawn from a woman's POV, so there's that, too. In short, I agree with your post.

For what its worth, I started skipping strips that focus on Nina's love life. Some sneak through, but otherwise I skip them.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 6, 2014

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Even where I agree with her ideas on the surface, there's been nothing in Nina's Adventures that has made me doubt the idea that her whole life consists of raging at everyone around for her own self-inflicted miseries. Don't stop posting or anything, though, I'm just laughing at her rather than with her.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Is anyone else a bit bothered by how the girls in Lucky Cow are drawn? There is something very odd about it

I Greyhound posted:

So across the Slylock Facebook group comes what appears to be a new "Oh, Brother!"?

I guess it could be a repeat since it's been so long since it ran. Maybe 2014 is the year it can return.

Sorry man that's an old one :(

Nipponophile posted:

No, see, I was asking "what" because I wasn't sure I understood you correctly from all the way up on the high horse you're posting from.

:ironicat:

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Mister Beeg posted:

Some of you may be familiar with "Betty Boop Meets Popeye the Sailor", the first animated appearance of Popeye, which was a hit, leading to the sailor getting a series of cartoons that ran into the late 1950s. The Fleischer Bros. were hoping to duplicate the success with other comic strip characters, so they did films where Betty interacts with Henry (who was billed as "The Funniest Living American", which is a total bullshit), Little King (who was already animated years before by the Van Beuren studio), and Little Jimmy. None of them took off and the idea of animating other comic strip characters was dropped.

"Betty Boop in Labor Dispute"

Dateline Toontown - Famed cartoon singer and actress Elizabeth "Betty" Boop has filed a grievance with her employer, Fleischer Studios. In an interview with the Acme Daily Reader, Ms. Boop said, "I'm sick of being used as a tool to further the careers of a bunch of losers. Why do I have to prop up these ---holes?" Mr. Fleischer could not be reached for comment.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Is anyone else a bit bothered by how the girls in Lucky Cow are drawn? There is something very odd about it
The whole thing looks like a prototype for the Simpsons.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

This made my day.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I Greyhound posted:

Is there an archive of these anywhere? I kind of want to start reposting them from the beginning.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Hurf durf I too cannot separate politics from practicality nor can I imagine it in the mind of another

You don't deserve an explanation on a plate but I think it's only fair to let you know that you do not understand the economics of intellectual property, nor that an artists approach to monetising their talent - and the related politics - may change over a long period of time. Feel free to pretend that I've bolded some words here for shrill emphasis

The state of copyright when it comes to entertainment media is pretty hosed up. You could be the guy who cures cancer and your patents will have expired within your lifetime, meanwhile some corporation or descendants of some artist can still be raking in money a century after the original song was released and the singer is long dead.

I also quite like paleys comics, I get the impression she's mocking herself mostly and does it with a certain amount of self-awareness. And hey there actually are too many humans on the planet, doesn't mean we shouldn't go extinct (i'm a parent of several children after all), but it's maybe the most serious environmental issue out there, the root cause of almost all other environmental issues, it's actually quite serious. I also enjoy that she's a bit hosed in the head sometimes. Nice to see people who aren't perfect, if we look at the the thread these are the people sparking the most enthusiastic discussions.

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

EasyEW posted:

First-Gen Blondie

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Spider-Man (Nov. 16-22, 2008)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mister Beeg posted:

For what its worth, I started skipping strips that focus on Nina's love life. Some sneak through, but otherwise I skip them.
I wouldn't mind seeing those.
I didn't mind seeing this.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

I did one on Jaqueline Cochran once because I thought a woman racing and war pilot was pretty cool.

Retail

Hate to break it to you Mina but...

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Refurb is actually planning to use it as part of an elaborate turkey costume.

Dustin

No political hamfistedness in my Dustin comics.

On the Fastrack

I gotta agree with Fi. Dethany is seriously too invested in this.

Safe Havens

Good luck. Those things are a pain in the rear end to take apart.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The Political Cartoon Thread makes this comic very funny to me.

F Minus: Love the angry cat picture.

Luann

Pros and Cons]/b]

[b]Sally Forth

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

AxeManiac posted:

To be fair, if somebody is standing around outside a store selling you gift cards, you should tell them to bugger off because they are probably empty/not activated and you would have to take one hugeleap of faith on a dude standing around scalping gift cards.

It's like something straight out of the YOSPOS Bitcoin thread where a goon had a friend trying to unload a couple of coins (worth several thousand dollars) and had insane difficulty in doing so. One guy said he'd meet them with cash, but turned up with a shopping filled filled with various gift cards and, when asked how they could verify that the cards were real, told them, "Trust me."

Yep, totally copacetic to buy giftcards off strangers.

Mind you, if you could verify their value with the store, I'd offer the guy, say, 60 cents on the dollar.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 6, 2014

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Mind you, if you could verify their value with the store, I'd offer the guy, say, 60 cents on the dollar.
Apparently you can call a number on the back of the giftcard to verify the amount on it or just ask a cashier in the store to scan it. But your best bet is just to sell them on eBay. I've done it before.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail

2014's first Mark Trail Fist of Justice! :allears:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mister Beeg posted:

Autobio comics are a hit-or-miss to me, although I like some (I'm a fan of Keith Knight, for example). I know I make fun of Paley's opinions, but at the same time I do find it refreshing because she's just so blunt about what she thinks. Also, very little comics posted here are drawn from a woman's POV, so there's that, too. In short, I agree with your post.

This is why I love Zippy. It's basically an autobio in the form of the rambling musings of a mad old comics dork.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So, Luann is doing dick jokes now?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

GorfZaplen posted:

I forget, what happened to Väinämöinen? Did it end or has it just not been posted?

Pretty sure that wasn't nearly the last of it, it's just that the poster didn't have the rest of strips.

Fingerpori

- I'm starting up a beauty salon where you can get e.g. bikini waxings by burning!
- Still missing the name
- "Alakulo"

Yes, he literally says "waxings by burning". Obviously he just means hair removal, but burning? I guess that's a laser thing. What frightens me is that thing looks more like a soldering iron.

Anyway! Alakulo means melancholy, blue mood, that sort of thing. Slightly better than depressed. It's a compound word consisting of ala, a prefix form of "low", and kulo which probably used to have some kind of a meaning in old Finnish that relates to mood (if not outright meaning "mood"), but in modern language it mainly means a "forest fire". Wiktionary claims it's also "a dry, dead grass from previous summer" but I guess that's a regional thing since I never heard that one.

Fok_it

In keeping up with the tradition of ignoring the alliteration names for the power animals, I translated this straight. The nonsense makes up for the pun.

Epiphany is loppiainen, you see.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

tiistai posted:

Pretty sure that wasn't nearly the last of it, it's just that the poster didn't have the rest of strips.

Fingerpori

- I'm starting up a beauty salon where you can get e.g. bikini waxings by burning!
- Still missing the name
- "Alakulo"

Yes, he literally says "waxings by burning". Obviously he just means hair removal, but burning? I guess that's a laser thing. What frightens me is that thing looks more like a soldering iron.

Anyway! Alakulo means melancholy, blue mood, that sort of thing. Slightly better than depressed. It's a compound word consisting of ala, a prefix form of "low", and kulo which probably used to have some kind of a meaning in old Finnish that relates to mood (if not outright meaning "mood"), but in modern language it mainly means a "forest fire". Wiktionary claims it's also "a dry, dead grass from previous summer" but I guess that's a regional thing since I never heard that one.

He probably means electrolysis, which is inserting a thin metal probe into a hair follicle, then quickly charging it with electricity to burn the hair at the root. There is also laser hair removal though, and they're both common enough things for a beauty salon to offer.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Both of these are true.

So goddamn true.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Aw, I would've left Talia to it.

Non Sequitur

The bears just want to warm up, too.

Heavenly Nostrils

Kliban

:psyduck:

9 Chickweed Lane 1/6/2003

Mouths by BrookeMaw™. Accept no substitutes.

Zits

A pot and a spoon for "instant" oatmeal? Oh hell no. Bowl, water, nuke for 30 seconds, done.

Kevin & Kell

Every time I read the name "Caniche" in this story this keeps popping into my head. :v:

Nemi

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I dunno, I think we need less Nina Paley, not more.
Cul-de-sac

The Creeps in which Alice finally learns how to wink.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (January 9, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean: It's the first creeping misery of 2014! :cheers:

Popeye: They seem to be taking the haunting very well.

Rip Haywire

Pogo: That's what he gets for reading ahead. (January 9, 1956)

Out Our Way (March 12-13, 1924)

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
"Don't you get gay with my lemonade, or you'll get something spicy in your mouth! :mad: exclaimed Foxy Grandpa."

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Oh foxy grandpa. :allears:

Anyhow, I apologize for being a bit erratic with Moomin-posting, but I'll finally be home again tonight, so things should normalize again.

Until then, I have a promise, and that promise is nearly 3 months of continous Moomin.

e: I'm however planning to buy more of the collections, up to book 9 ( which'll get released in august, meaning that there'll be 20+ more stories, eventually. I need to figure out the whole not-having-a-scanner-in-Oslo, though.

After all, simply taking pictures of the pages is kinda inoptimal, but workable.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 6, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Mike du Jour

Monty

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You know what I like posting best? Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

Don't give a dog a cell phone.

Did the colourist ruin this joke or improve it? Who can say.

Ballard Street

Yes, play. It is only play. As a lion cub silently creeps through the grass and pounces on a bug. As wolf cubs stalk and surround a flower. As a child lines up the perfect shot through his video game gun sights. Only play. Only preparation for the day that will come.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert