Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Where would one buy a maneki neko in Osaka? I figured they'd be everywhere but I've not found one. Near Namb(l)a would be good if possible. Or if they have them at Kansai airport I guess, though I'd rather find one elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Where would one buy a maneki neko in Osaka? I figured they'd be everywhere but I've not found one. Near Namb(l)a would be good if possible. Or if they have them at Kansai airport I guess, though I'd rather find one elsewhere.

Can probably get one at Tokyu Hands, do they have that in Osaka? I've seen them at touristy places (Asakusa in Tokyo) and at restaurant supply stores.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Ara posted:

Can probably get one at Tokyu Hands, do they have that in Osaka? I've seen them at touristy places (Asakusa in Tokyo) and at restaurant supply stores.
There are at least three, one in Southgate Building in Osaka Station (10~12F), one in Shinsaibashi (just northeast of the northernmost exit of the Midosuji Line station, parallel to Crysta Nagahori), and a third I can't remember exactly where it's at but it's in the east along the Sakaisuji Line somewhere, near Tenjinbashi 6-chome and the Mainichi Broadcasting building.

Failing that just run to the tourist trap street that goes up the hill to Kiyomizu Shrine and you'll find one somewhere there.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

There is the famous restaurant supply street, which can be hard to find, but its near Namba and sandwiched in between Dottonbori and DenDenTown. If I remember correctly, this is the entrance: http://goo.gl/maps/iEbyo . Its the Doguyasuji. I remember running into one shop down a side street in there that sold nothing but Maneki Neko. That is your best place to look in Osaka.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Does it have to be classy? You can get a Made In China ugly cheapo coinbank maneki neko at the Daiso (100 shop.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My girlfriend asked me to get her one so decent is better. I'm going to Kyoto today so I'll check the shine tourist street first, thanks dudes. Restaurant supply sounds good too, found some good stuff at the Tokyo one a while back.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I have the opportunity to visit Tokyo next week but I'm not sure it's worth it. I know my way around OK, but I'd be going on my own, and I don't want to end up just wandering around Shibuya alone on New Year's Eve or something. I've never been in Japan during new year. Is there anything interesting going on or does everything just shut down or what?

e: most of my friends are in Hokkaido so I'd fly up to see them but that would be after new year, I think.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 25, 2013

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

http://iflyer.tv/en-jp/upcoming/events/on/2013-12-31/#kanto

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Popcorn posted:

I have the opportunity to visit Tokyo next week but I'm not sure it's worth it. I know my way around OK, but I'd be going on my own, and I don't want to end up just wandering around Shibuya alone on New Year's Eve or something. I've never been in Japan during new year. Is there anything interesting going on or does everything just shut down or what?

e: most of my friends are in Hokkaido so I'd fly up to see them but that would be after new year, I think.

http://tokyogaijins.com/ is having a countdown party in Roppongi. There's a pretty good chance that there will other lone travelers and people at their events tend to be friendly.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I heard someone got stabbed at one of those Tokyo Gaijins things, confirm/deny?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's not rumor that's a prophecy

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Best to stay away from gaijins; you cannot have 安心 around them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Found cats fuckin' everywhere in Kyoto. The restaurant supply stores were neat, thanks for the tip. Scored a few things I couldn't find in Korea/were ridic expensive.

They have real woks too but I can't get one. :negative:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Wait, you found cats everywhere or you found cats in coitus everywhere?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Both.

Osaka was neat. I'm not sure I get the food reputation, I ate well but it wasn't noticably different than Tokyo. At least as a tourist. Then again all the other "famous" food places I've been in Asia were exactly the same as everywhere else so who knows.

A gently caress of a lot more people spoke English than in Tokyo, that's for sure. Even had a long conversation with an old dude in German.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
How late/early does public transportation run in Osaka to and from the airport?

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Osaka's food reputation comes from it being known as 天下の台所 ("the nation's kitchen") and that it had the world's first futures market with rice.

Trains generally don't run between 12~5 AM except for around New Year's (to accomodate people traveling to/from shrines for celebrations) except for a few outliers that don't go to the airport anyway. Also you need to specify Kansai or Itami.

Buses usually don't run from 12~5 AM either so.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Ah, Kansai. So, i basically can't take Peach Air without taking a taxi that costs more than my flight?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The terminal is open 24/7 and I saw bed/couch things in there, if you want to play homeless. There are coin showers too.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Even had a long conversation with an old dude in German.

68% chance he is a war criminal

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

The terminal is open 24/7 and I saw bed/couch things in there, if you want to play homeless. There are coin showers too.

I guess if i want to play homeless for two nights there are worse places.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bloodnose posted:

68% chance he is a war criminal

Not that old.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007

DontAskKant posted:

Ah, Kansai. So, i basically can't take Peach Air without taking a taxi that costs more than my flight?

I'm going into Kansai on Peach (from Busan and then Narita) and arriving at normal times?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

erobadapazzi posted:

I'm going into Kansai on Peach (from Busan and then Narita) and arriving at normal times?

The normal times are like a 50% increase on the price i first saw. So i guess instead of thinking lovely hours are the discount, i saw them as normal and the normal hours as a jack in price.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
Ah, I see. I think you probably just waited too long. As I was looking over and over (while waiting to get my vacation dates firmed up), the prices started creeping up for the more ideal times. It seemed like maybe they just had a set amount of seats at each price point for each flight or something.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hey Japanese goons! Greetings from Nogata, Fukuoka.

Quick question that I did not see in the OP...I am looking for a place to find Japanese subs for movies and TV shows. Or vice versa. Currently living in China I know a place or two to find Chinese subs on the net. No experience with Japanese, though. Figured one or two people here might have a good suggestion. Thanks in advance for any help! And Happy New Year, all!

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

For TV shows...

http://jpsubbers.x10.mx/Japanese-Subtitles/

for subs directly exported from the broadcasts. These subs will typically be the most up to date and complete. However, as direct exports, they're typically are not adjusted for commercial breaks (which raws usually cut out) meaning that the timings tend to be off.

It's not difficult to correct the timings with a program such as Aegisub but it can be a hassle when you just want to watch something.

Pre-adjusted subs can be found here:

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/subtitles.php#Japanese

As long as you have an appropriate raw, these subs can typically be used as-is.

For movies, I don't know but oddly, it seems that most Japanese movies are released without Japanese subs so they may be quite hard to find.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This is excellent. Thanks much.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Just got back from a week long-long roadtrip through Honshu, thought I'd share the itinerary in case anyone's interested. Pics will come later!

Put the car on the overnight ferry out of Kitakyushu (Was 1.6man for car and me, plus another passenger at 7,000) on Christmas Eve, got a good night's sleep since it was pretty underbooked, our free-seating tatami room turned out to be just the two of us. The "futons" were paper-thin and about the same dimensions as a beach towel, but stacking 5 or 6 of them worked out pretty well. There's a restaurant and vending machine on board so you needn't go hungry/thirsty. Boat leaves at 6:40 and arrives at 7:20 the next day; pretty useful coming from Kyushu as it saves you a day's driving, tolls, and a night's accommodation. If you don't have a vehicle, probably better off flying with Jetstar though.

Next morning got off in Kobe, where my camera poo poo the bed pretty early on. Google told me it probably wasn't fixable, so I spent the next few hours comparing prices at 3 secondhand stores before coughing up for a replacement. Was planning to upgrade to a better model next month or so, but needed something to finish the trip with. (Anyone want to buy an NEX-5 with the 16mm f/2.8?)

From there the original plan was to head up to Gero/Takayama, but wasted so much time with the camera thing (also Condomania not being open when they were supposed to) we just decided to crash in Nagoya that night and make an early start the next day. Did Takayama and Shirakawa-go the next day, and continued on through Toyama to Nagano, crashed there for the night. Next morning woke up, drove an hour to the park where you can see the monkeys bathing in onsen, spent some time shooting those with my "new" camera, then drove down to Osaka. Was supposed to meet some friends but was too tired, just crashed. Next morning drove down to Hiroshima, picked up another friend (Japanese this time), ate okonomiyaki, went to the Peace Park, drove out to our hotel and called it a night. Next morning: drove to Shimane, checked out Izumo Taisha (Japanese temples seem really same-ish to me, this one was pretty cool though) and tried to get a Sanbe Burger but they were closed for fluke remodeling. After that, drove to Iwami Ginzan, some old silver mines that are now a UNESCO World Heritage site. Pretty cool, although we arrived too late to go inside the buildings (same thing happened at Shirakawa-go). Wasn't really gutted about that, but will probably re-visit both in the summer just to see what's up.

Continued on to Hagi City and stayed at a sorta B&B attached to a bakery, next day we checked out some stuff I found searching for B級スポット(basically "B-list places") in Yamaguchi: Japan's westernmost inari shrine (situated on some cliffs with a buncha torii lining a path kinda like that really famous one in Kyoto), and the Kawasaki Kannon shrine, which is dedicated to new/expecting mothers, and features a wall of homemade boobs. Wanted to buy some omamori there for some preggers friends/co-workers, but the charm-seller stand was closed on account of the holidays. There was also a homemade UFO out in the middle of nowhere about 30 minutes past the Kawasaki Kannon that I had GPS coordinates for, but was kinda wanting to get home with plenty of time for New Years, so decided to save it for another trip.

Major take-aways from this trip:
1) Traveling by car in Japan loving rules. If you've got someone/more than one person to split costs with you can probably come out ahead versus the trains (may be a toss-up if you're comparing two people/a Railpass), especially if you can get an ETC card and stage most of your highway miles on the weekends. Also Japan really has their poo poo together as far as clearing snow on the road.
2) Travel in winter in Japan can kinda suck though: snow conditions will still likely slow you down at points and cut down on what you can see in one day, which is compounded by a lot of poo poo closing at like 4pm due to the season. Also, sunset being at 5:10 or whatever. Still, was cool to see snow, and stuff not being totally mobbed with tourists was nice.
3) Not nearly as much a holiday travel rush as I expected, expressways were normal even on the afternoon of the 31st. When I checked hotels just before the trip, all the cheap ones were still available (Saturday nights are almost always lovely anywhere on short notice though).
4) You can pretty easily freestyle accommodation by scouting for love hotels when you get towards the end of the day, pulling off the expressway (they tend to be concentrated near IC exits), and price-shopping until you find something that strikes your fancy. Don't have to be on a sex-having basis with your travel partner, the beds are pretty big, and you can very likely smuggle a third or fourth person (might want to be bring a futon if you're doing more than 3) in to the room and not get turned away/charged extra. Price is often comparable to a business hotel for 2 people, can really reap savings if you're being cheeky and bringing in more. Prices do go up a bit on weekends/before holidays though, and sometimes the cheaper rooms will all be in use, but since they tend to cluster together, you can usually find something that works.

goldboilermark posted:

Hey Japanese goons! Greetings from Nogata, Fukuoka.

:whatup: neighbor

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Cool write up man, and I haven't forgotten the beer or two that I owe you. Hope all is well and again, great trip report! :cheers:

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Anyone have recommendations on cheap lodging on Kyushu? I'm thinking about making that my main spot next time I go, since I've never been and I somehow get a lot of customers from there who highly recommend going. In Osaka I always stayed at cheapo business hotels which worked out great for me (1.9man for 10 days is my kinda place!), but I haven't been in a few years so I'm rusty on money-saving techniques. I'm gonna have to research this place to get max fun.

bobula fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 1, 2014

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Where in Kyushu do you plan on going? If you are going to Fukuoka and want to have a good time I think the Mystays in Tenjin is in a very good location.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

goldboilermark posted:

Cool write up man, and I haven't forgotten the beer or two that I owe you. Hope all is well and again, great trip report! :cheers:

Had forgotten about that! You were in China at an international school before, right?

bobula posted:

Anyone have recommendations on cheap lodging on Kyushu? I'm thinking about making that my main spot next time I go, since I've never been and I somehow get a lot of customers from there who highly recommend going. In Osaka I always stayed at cheapo business hotels which worked out great for me (1.9man for 10 days is my kinda place!), but I haven't been in a few years so I'm rusty on money-saving techniques. I'm gonna have to research this place to get max fun.

You can find some decent deals on Rakuten Travel's English site, or by searching around for hostels. If you're traveling by motorbike or bicycle, you have the option to use a "rider's house", which are basically sorta hostels for people traveling on two wheels. I believe there's at least one in Kumamoto and one in Kagoshima. Couchsurfing is another option. If you're looking to do a longer stay in one place, I reckon calling up a cheap place and seeing if you can negotiate a weekly rent type deal might be the way to go. Probably have more luck with that at a mom and pop type place than a big chain.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Ned posted:

Where in Kyushu do you plan on going? If you are going to Fukuoka and want to have a good time I think the Mystays in Tenjin is in a very good location.

Honestly haven't gotten as far as that even, but it probably will be Fukuoka with day/two-day trips to Kumamoto, Kagoshima, Nagasaki and other not too distant locales. Kinda feels like a waste not to check out Korea too while I'm down there, now that I think about it.

I'll make a note of yours and Pompous's recommendations, thanks. I've never been farther west than Kobe so I hope it's different and exciting!

bobula fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 2, 2014

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

On the cheap accommodation topic:

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip out to Japan in early to mid April, and we'd really like to see the Takayama Matsuri -- but trying to find cheap accommodation in Takayama during that period is, perhaps unsurprisingly, really loving difficult. I've done a search through this thread and a few people have mentioned Takayama -- is anyone familiar with cheap / hostel accommodation there? We've already contacted J-Hoppers but they're fully booked for at least the first day of the festival.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I'm being a big wuss and am afraid to pull the trigger on several hostel reservations for my gf and i's two-week Kyoto-region trip in May. Should I just go to hostelworld.com and book the ones with the best ratings, and be done with it? I haven't done any lengthy hostel lodging before.

edit: Okay, just booked the first 5 nights in Kyoto at Hana Hostel. Seems nice and has bike rentals, free computer, map, etc, etc and is pretty central and close to Kyoto station which is good for us. Wasn't that hard...

Also, thanks for the heads up on free starbucks and Kyoto wifi. Very cool!

Any Kagoshima recommendations? We are likely passing through for a day as we make our way to Yakushima. Seems like there is only one hostel that is bookable via hostelworld.com. Maybe that's a non-tourist city? We could stay a little outside of town elsewhere. Doesn't have to be right at the port town.

Maybe here? http://www.green-guesthouse.com/english.html Seems like it will get the job done.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 6, 2014

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

I'm flying from Korea to Japan for a few days and I wanted to know about how much a cheap room in a love hotel costs. In Korea I'm using to paying the equivalent of $50 or $60 for a cheap room. I'm guessing I won't be so lucky in Tokyo.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

BLOWTAKKKS posted:

I'm flying from Korea to Japan for a few days and I wanted to know about how much a cheap room in a love hotel costs. In Korea I'm using to paying the equivalent of $50 or $60 for a cheap room. I'm guessing I won't be so lucky in Tokyo.

Weekends/holidays are normally more expensive, but I think I remember seeing a love hotel near my hostel in Tokyo advertising a nightly rate of something like $50-$60 last summer. In rural areas you can find 'em for a bit less.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

BLOWTAKKKS posted:

They exist, but that's very much on the low side, and you'll only get those prices on weekdays. I personally know of one for ¥5500 for overnight in Shinjuku, and one in Gotanda.

In general just walking around you're not going to find them. That Shinjuku one is, I believe, the cheapest in the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

French Canadian posted:

Also, thanks for the heads up on free starbucks and Kyoto wifi. Very cool!

Any Kagoshima recommendations? We are likely passing through for a day as we make our way to Yakushima. Seems like there is only one hostel that is bookable via hostelworld.com. Maybe that's a non-tourist city? We could stay a little outside of town elsewhere. Doesn't have to be right at the port town.

Maybe here? http://www.green-guesthouse.com/english.html Seems like it will get the job done.

I'm sure you guys will have fun. Don't worry too much about accommodation. If the room turns bad just cancel after a day or two.

For kagoshima there's toyoko inn which is quite near the JR station. Toyoko inn is a decent alternative.

• Locked thread