Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
proper IDEs are great for undoing the work of the loving idiots that made a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

i think he just didnt understand how to use git

we were building with gradle which from my 1 minute of looking at it seems to be like a wrapper for maven maybe? idk

dont use gradle. theres no reason not to use maven for java. its the best built tool for any language anywhere. also pls tell me you weren't checking in the eclipse workspace metadata.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Shaggar posted:

dont use gradle. theres no reason not to use maven for java. its the best built tool for any language anywhere. also pls tell me you weren't checking in the eclipse workspace metadata.

no sorry Shaggar the best tool is a bespoke artisanal huge complex web of Ant build tasks

yesssssss yess the xml configuration

give it to me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ant is so bad. i sometimes have to fix other peoples code from years ago and lots of the projects have ant build tasks in their pom. its awful.

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

Shaggar posted:

i sometimes have to fix other peoples code

teehee

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm really glad academia is moving to python because most of the code I got to work with till now wasn't really mind-numbingly bad. it's mostly silly like "hey what's this about modules? let me put the whole project in this hugeass file"

i dont see how python fixes that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

ant is so bad. i sometimes have to fix other peoples code from years ago and lots of the projects have ant build tasks in their pom. its awful.

maven is as big a leap forward over ant as ant was over make

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Bloody posted:

s. butte stares at variables named x,j,x_r_sin_cos_p,var with utterly no type information and then inserts gun into mouth

edit: x_r_cos_sin_p will be reused a three dozen times in the hugeass file. 2 of those times it will be a string

Brain Candy fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 3, 2014

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Brain Candy posted:

s. butte stares at variables named x,j,x_r_sin_cos_p,var with utterly no type information and then inserts gun into mouth

well no you see duck typing therefore

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Bloody posted:

yeah it doesn't force anyone to break your code in nice chunks or good practices when naming variables but hey it's better than the horror show of deciphering the control flow in fortran projects. I'm not saying it's the best but drat if it ain't better already.

and tbh I see a lot of complaints about variable naming in scientific programming "I MEAN WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS DY BULLSHIT"[*] and sometimes it's justifiable but most of the time is just a lack of domain knowledge. scientists (at least the physicists that I know) have their own idioms, you gotta learn them. have those books with the formulas you're debugging near you.

[*] this was a thing that some coworker blurted out to me once

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I like duck typing :smith: but it's not really a thing with the code I'm talking about. numpy strips a lot of the dynamic typing aspect from python.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Symbolic Butt posted:

and tbh I see a lot of complaints about variable naming in scientific programming "I MEAN WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS DY BULLSHIT"[*] and sometimes it's justifiable but most of the time is just a lack of domain knowledge. scientists (at least the physicists that I know) have their own idioms, you gotta learn them. have those books with the formulas you're debugging near you.

sure, if the reference algorithm names things x,y,p,q guess what the variable names are going to be? and what you'd write as Δy or turns into crap no matter what how you name it. that isn't the problem with x. the problem is when x is used as the permanent state vector which is filled with fp in some order that isn't documented anywhere. math familiarity tricks people into thinking of programming variables as math variables i.e. short, undescriptive, names because the notation is designed for people writing things on dead trees

not that this is unique to scientists, but scientist/engineer code awful because there is utterly no thought to maintenance or readability for other people. "if it works, it is good"

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
oh well at least it's not the kind of code where you get unnecessary abstraction because the cs guy who wrote it was trying to show off how smart he is by creating recursive classes

cs people can suck my defaultdict is what I'm saying

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

work experience i have involving python: it's a skin layer over gnuradio for the sole purpose of making gnuradio less usable

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

is there a good beginner maven tutorial out there? it obviously sounds super great, but i'd like to see some examples etc.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Leck posted:

is there a good beginner maven tutorial out there? it obviously sounds super great, but i'd like to see some examples etc.

http://maven.apache.org/guides/getting-started/
or
http://maven.apache.org/guides/getting-started/maven-in-five-minutes.html

bam

you might not immediately realize how great it can be unless you've spent some quality time trying to get your CLASSPATH set just right. half of the benefit is about classpaths and dependencies; the other half is that maven really wants you to lay out your files and directories in the structure they like. it can be annoying, but being forced into a standard directory structure eliminates a lot of problems

prefect fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 3, 2014

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Shaggar posted:

ant is so bad.

ant is better than batch files, looks at $30 million software project :rolleye:

colossal loving mess, a batch file (not command file) that only works on a desktop, spawns extra prompts that sleep and poll for files to determine when certain stages are complete.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

there was a bad question here but i answered it myself~

Bloody fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 3, 2014

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Brain Candy posted:

math familiarity tricks people into thinking of programming variables as math variables i.e. short, undescriptive, names because the notation is designed for people writing things on dead trees

not that this is unique to scientists, but scientist/engineer code awful because there is utterly no thought to maintenance or readability for other people. "if it works, it is good"

this is so loving true.

if they took the 10s to figure out what x,y,p,q, actually mean even in their general case (i.e., understood the problem) this would be a whole lot easier

s.butt is right about domain knowledge but the problem with physics is it's all so loving niche that basically nobody is familiar with your specific dumb problem and specific combinations of retarded letters that differ slightly from the americans/euros workin on the same thing or even the prof down the hall

its all hugely incomprehensible and inconsistent and scientists are idiots

oh yeah even for basic stuff like integration/differentiation they manage to gently caress it up and use variables that make LITERALLY NO SENSE ever. if they do their math in a slightly different idiomatic way (idk like using xdot instead of d/dx ) then theres infinitely differnet ways they can garble up the math into even more confusing code

oh even worse is idiot scientists like this with some CS knowledge trying to show off in C/C++

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

this man is correct the official docs are pretty good

when you need more than a tutorial consider buying the sonatype books

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Eclipse is crappy and full of bugs. That said it is many times better than using a text editor. The only catch is that you must never use the source control plugins to actually commit code as they do idiot things by default. Use eclipse but do source control from the cli

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah the svn plugin is ok for basic tasks like commits and stuff, but if you want to do anything more advanced its not good

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

bobbilljim posted:

Eclipse is crappy and full of bugs. That said it is many times better than using a text editor. The only catch is that you must never use the source control plugins to actually commit code as they do idiot things by default. Use eclipse but do source control from the cli

for svn don't use subversive, use subclipse

it use to be poo poo, but now branches, merges, reverts, whatever, are v. nice

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

also pls tell me you weren't checking in the eclipse workspace metadata.

that's exactly what our problem was.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
one of the benefits of using source control inside of eclipse instead of outside is it automatically ignores eclipse stuff.

the root of ur project folder in your repo should look like this:

src/
pom.xml

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah that's what we ended up doing. i'm very stubborn and like doing things through the command line, so that's basically what hosed us up. we ended up adding the eclipse metadata to gitignore but without knowing much about what we're doing it's hard to know what to ignore

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
speaking of gitignore, i accidentally just committed 1tb of movie files

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

lol

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
Nice

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Nice!

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

the work of the loving idiots that made a thing.

u rang?

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

prefect posted:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/getting-started/
or
http://maven.apache.org/guides/getting-started/maven-in-five-minutes.html

bam

you might not immediately realize how great it can be unless you've spent some quality time trying to get your CLASSPATH set just right. half of the benefit is about classpaths and dependencies; the other half is that maven really wants you to lay out your files and directories in the structure they like. it can be annoying, but being forced into a standard directory structure eliminates a lot of problems

thanks, i suppose that was the most obvious possible answer to this question. i'm all for a standard structure, so i think this will work out just fine.

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

rebase it to a few hundred commits ago and then force push

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
i just made a thing with spring web flow, and it was really easy and neat. is there something like web flow for other languages?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Sharktopus posted:

rebase it to a few hundred commits ago and then force push

fortunately i wasnt able to push because my attempt to push crashed due to memory issues.

a nest of hornets
Nov 17, 2012

by Ralp

prefect posted:

site's down :(

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i just spent an hour trying to figure out why this windows call that finds spotify's window title for sending to my arduino was loving up half the time

i have atmel studio running and it was finding the SpotifyController project instead of the actual spotify window and sending that to the AVR :eng99:

but now i got a sweet program running that shows me the artist/song playing on spotify :sun:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

imo the award for most retarded build system goes to lucene/solr. its not one of those appallingly bad organically grown job security generators or anything, just ant. and maven. there's an ant build, and also a maven build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nomnom Cookie posted:

imo the award for most retarded build system goes to lucene/solr. its not one of those appallingly bad organically grown job security generators or anything, just ant. and maven. there's an ant build, and also a maven build

is it a historical thing, where they're slowly transitioning from one to the other?

• Locked thread