Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Oh No My Equity posted:

I'm curious how colonization and such will go in this timeline.

PURPLEWORLD

Damnit, I always have the dumbest snypes. So, reasking my question from earlier:

DStecks posted:

What is it that decides if you can borrow money from the Jews? Is there some kind of invisible tag for Jewish population?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Odobenidae posted:

I usually don't let him fight in battles but this is still a problem for me. I often will poo poo myself hearing that my ruler died in a battle not even knowing he was fighting in it. I never micro commanders unless it's a close fight, but to take out viking raiders or rebelling counts It's not worth the time/effort.

Just don't raise levies from your demesne and your king will never end up fighting in a battle you don't intend him to.

DStecks posted:

PURPLEWORLD

DrSunshine posted:

August 20th, 2013, 11:00 PM EST.

Omni-Basileus Alexandrios Kommenos XVI, ruler of the Roman Empire of Earth looks out from his capitol in Washington D.C.. Over a thousand years ago his ancestors embarked on a campaign of conquest that brought them from ruling a faded empire perched in the armpit of the Mediterranean Sea, to extending the dominion of Rome to encompass the entire planet. From the distance, over the waves, comes the dull roar of another sub-orbital cruise-liner ferrying passengers back from the Constantine I space station. Soon, the Roman Flag would be planted upon every planet in the solar system.

"Alex-dearie!" calls Megumi bint Radhu von Karling, his dearest lover. "Come back to bed with me."

Alexandrios takes a sip of mead and pads back to his chamber, thanking Ahura Mazda for his blessings. It's good to be the Omni Basileus.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 6, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
nvm.

goodness fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 6, 2014

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Is there anything I can do to un-ironman my save game? Like is there anything that will make the game detect I'm a dirty cheater or something so I can use it like a normal save?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

After a week of trying to get the count -> emperor achievement (on a single character despite that maybe not being a real requirement) as the Count of Nantes or various vikings in Norway and Denmark I tried a game as the Duke of Carpathia's kid, murdered my father and then rampaged through the HRE installing claimants to other Duchies until I had enough votes to win an election. It took about 45 minutes.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Is there anything I can do to un-ironman my save game? Like is there anything that will make the game detect I'm a dirty cheater or something so I can use it like a normal save?

I was trying to figure this out earlier too, but I started a new Ironman that didn't go to poo poo after my first battle and I made it to elective succession.

My suggestion would be making an extra copy of the save outside the game, then maybe editing the file or editing some files ao the game detects a change or a mod and disables Ironman, maybe that would break your save.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

After a week of trying to get the count -> emperor achievement (on a single character despite that maybe not being a real requirement) as the Count of Nantes or various vikings in Norway and Denmark I tried a game as the Duke of Carpathia's kid, murdered my father and then rampaged through the HRE installing claimants to other Duchies until I had enough votes to win an election. It took about 45 minutes.

Sounds like bizzaro Star Wars.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

the talent deficit posted:

I feel like I achieved this legit since a few weeks before the patch I managed to get the earl of dublin at the 1066 start all the way to the empire of Brittania even tho he's like 45 years old. It's cool to revisit tutorial island every now and then.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Here's a solution: if your king dying is a big enough event that it would ruin your game, don't let him fight in battles.

It was just an example. There was a patch a while back that drastically increased the rate of people just randomly keeling over, which is what I was actually talking about.

Also, the event was specifically "fell asleep in combat." Not the normal wounded/maimed/killed event. (It might be Lunatic related, possibly.)

Either way, I asked for mods, not condescension.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 6, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Any idea why my achievements keep getting disabled? Is it because I have the GoT mod?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Any idea why my achievements keep getting disabled? Is it because I have the GoT mod?

Probably; achievements only work with Ironman on, and no modifications to the game files at all. You get barred from achievements even for just using Ruler Designer, nevermind a total conversion mod.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Probably; achievements only work with Ironman on, and no modifications to the game files at all. You get barred from achievements even for just using Ruler Designer, nevermind a total conversion mod.
Well then, their stupid achievements can go screw.

I married Rickon Stark to Danaerys Targaryen after she re-conquered Westeros :colbert:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It was just an example. There was a patch a while back that drastically increased the rate of people just randomly keeling over, which is what I was actually talking about.

Was there?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I think it was either still in vanilla or between Sword of Islam and Legacy of Rome. It might've just been a side effect of adding tons of new events in 1.05/1.06, but it was drastic enough to notice in-game.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think it was either still in vanilla or between Sword of Islam and Legacy of Rome. It might've just been a side effect of adding tons of new events in 1.05/1.06, but it was drastic enough to notice in-game.

I thought you meant a recent patch. I never played this game until just after LoR. I did notice that your king seems to die a lot more in battle after 2.0, but that's probably just confirmation bias on my part, because I'm pretty sure it's trait based and nothing to do with army size.

Oh No My Equity
Aug 11, 2013

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Probably be about as fun as filling in a colouring book.

So like a normal EU game then? :v:

Actually I suppose my interest would be more in running a hands-off game and seeing how the AI handles a world with less of a tech gap.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Probably be about as fun as filling in a colouring book.

Imagine if all kindergarteners sperged about keeping pretty borders as much as we do, teachers would actually be sane.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Why does this game take so long to load! Help help!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Arglebargle III posted:

I usually go get a glass of water, take a piss, watch a youtube video on my phone, and/or cook a meal while this game is loading.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I notice it loads faster if it was the last game I played and I didn;t shut my pc down in between time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just clocked it at 65 seconds from hitting play to the main menu but as Knuc indicated it was faster than last time.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Was finally able to get Sons of Abraham and pre-order Conquest of Paradise with some Christmas money, so I got back to my Sardinia game. It's 1180 and all the borders are so hosed the if Perm or Rus roll over to the Mongols (likely, they'll be taking the fresh Mongol stacks and are both in a weakened state after several civil wars that have left them ragged and spread out), I can easily see the Mongols not having any trouble stomping over anybody else until they get to Hispania, the only AI controlled nation that has its poo poo together and pretty borders (save for one little Muslim owned bit on the other side of the Strait of Gibraltar). The massive Shia Caliphate that grew out of control finally fell apart in a Decadence revolt, but not before taking Sicily, which the King of Sicily seems to have no real desire to try taking back, which is giving the new Caliph time to get his poo poo together. Even if he's not as big as the last one, he's still pretty scary.

Then the Aztecs will land.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Do you own a solid-state drive?

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

does anything happen if aall of a kingdom's de jure territory gets absorbed by another one? can it no longer be created?

can titular kingdoms absorb territory?

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Bluh, started a new Old Gards Rurik to Russian Empire Ironman attempt. Got a little farther, but ended up in the same pretender/independance/blobbing rear end in a top hat death spiral. Ah well, at least this time I managed to reform the Slavic faith. (ANd forgot to switch from gavelkind like a dumb-dumb)

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

sick trigger posted:

does anything happen if aall of a kingdom's de jure territory gets absorbed by another one? can it no longer be created?

A titular kingdom can absorb territory, which is kinda necessary for the Khazars. It still takes 100 years tho.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

EightDeer posted:

Do you own a solid-state drive?

Yes. But it's small. Too small for Steam to live there.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Arglebargle III posted:

I believe you can choose where steam installs certain games

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is Gavelkind still hilariously hosed up? My first son is getting the kingdom and my last son is getting my three duchies.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Arglebargle III posted:

Is Gavelkind still hilariously hosed up? My first son is getting the kingdom and my last son is getting my three duchies.

Honestly, people, start giving out titles to your younger children if you don't want gavelkind to gently caress you over. For some reason the game is more rational about inheritance if the younger children already have duchies (if you are a king).

sick trigger posted:

If all a kingdom's de jure territory is absorbed by another kingdom then that landless kingdom becomes a titular kingdom. I am pretty sure you can still form that kingdom, but I think you must hold a specific province (the de jure kingdom capital?) to do it.

Titular kingdoms who absorb territory become regular kingdoms.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes. County splitting can get even weirder. Basically there is no reason to play gavelkind unless you really really like getting assassinated and replaced by your youngest brother who somehow ended up with half the realm.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I could kind of see going Gavelkind if you were in an incredibly safe and boring part of the map and just wanted to see what kind of chaos you could get into without dealing with hordes or holy wars or other outside existential threats.

Any time your survival depends on the stability of your realm it just seems like suicide, though.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Gavelkind is fine as long as you hold just one Kingdom-level title and don't try to hoard every single duchy within it (make sure every son has one and it should be good). Anything past that and the game's valuation of Kingdom and Empire-level titles throws the gavelkind split into chaos.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Arglebargle III posted:

You could just copy-paste the game on your SSD. Paradox games are fine outside of Steam bosom.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So did the mongols get nerfed alongside levies? My Persia game's starting to get up there in years and I'm sort of wondering how to go about dealing with these pricks now that you can't expect to pull down 100,000 troops from one empire.

I mean I guess I could pack up all my poo poo and relocate the demesne to Thrace.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Seoinin posted:

So did the mongols get nerfed alongside levies? My Persia game's starting to get up there in years and I'm sort of wondering how to go about dealing with these pricks now that you can't expect to pull down 100,000 troops from one empire.

I mean I guess I could pack up all my poo poo and relocate the demesne to Thrace.

I got the Aztec invasion triggering in my recent tutorial island revision game. They invaded Morocco (Almovarids) and Brittany (which I controlled) in the initial invasion. Brittany got invaded by about 100k of troops split up into stacks of around 12k each, which they sieged the entire duchy at once with. But because they were split up, it was easier to divide and conquer them by landing my total of 40k or so of troops (retinues, vassalized holy orders, and levies) in Normandy and then hitting a stack with a river for protection. When the other troops came in from the other counties to reinforce them, since I had the river plus the trickle of the other stacks coming in, I was able to beat them roughly one at a time.

Then I wondered why the warscore was only at around 35% when I realized that the Moroccan force was still around when it jumped me and wiped out my stack and more or less ended the war right there. Despite that since I knocked out about half of their troops in that initial war (which lost me Brittany and some chunks of Andalusia), when they followed up with trying to invade France we were all able to finish off their second set of 100k event troops once and for all and then start the holy war cleanup.

Weirdly enough, the Golden Horde either never triggered or died immediately to the Ilkhanate.

Also, oh man I loooooooooooooooove vassalizing holy orders!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Seoinin posted:

There's a way to do it but it involves making dozens of small armies plus a few big ones waiting in reserve, and gaming the everloving poo poo out of the AI, preferably in mountainous terrain or across rivers.

In my old Russian games I'd usually just expand as far west as possible so I'd have breathing room, then kiss rear end and assassinate until they fell apart and then take it all back bit by bit. Might be harder as Persia, though, you're right in the way of absolutely everything.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Seoinin posted:

It might have just been a bugged game, but my last playthrough the Golden Horde stalled out around 1350 and last I checked, they were on their 9th invasion of some Seljuk territory and not getting anywhere, so it might be they run out of steam and stop pulling doomstacks after a while.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

jpmeyer posted:

Also, oh man I loooooooooooooooove vassalizing holy orders!
What's the benefit? Will they fight Catholics for you?

Also, there's a way to vassalize the Pope without resorting to Antipopes now, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

CapnAndy posted:

What's the benefit? Will they fight Catholics for you?

Also, there's a way to vassalize the Pope without resorting to Antipopes now, right?

1) They're much cheaper to raise (and I think maintain?). The piety cost drops to 10-20 or so.
2) Nobody else can use them, so they're always available
3) Because of the levy nerfs, these guys plus some retinues can be single-handedly enough to fight holy wars.

I haven't tried vassalizing mercs yet, so I don't know if this also applies to them.

jpmeyer fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 6, 2014

• Locked thread