Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
My girlfriend got me a pizza steel for Christmas. This is gonna be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I love pizza but until now we always bought the dough from the store. I'd like to try doing the dough myself but we have no pizza stone so it would be just cooked in the oven.
Can I do this or will I upset the pizza gods? Also any recipe recommendation or would the one in the OP do?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The pizza stone would go in your oven so no matter what that's where it's getting cooked. If you have a cast iron pan or something you can use that, but pretty much anything will cook a pizza. The only issue is that the bottom won't be as nice if you can't get your pan/stone/whatever hot. The OP's recipe is fine.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Dr. Klas posted:

Report back when you made the pizza. I'm curious to know which mozzarella you think is working best because I've never had god luck with mozzarellas found in my stores.

I don't know which one works best, but this time I used Pirkka brand mozz because the store only had that and Euroshopper. Turned out reasonably well, I guess.

Next time I'll take some pics.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Cross post from Post Your Dinner thread..

Sourdough Pizza. The sourdough culture has been in my family since the Yukon Gold Rush, kept alive and passed down through the generations.

Margherita up first. San Marzano tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, basil.

Then a pesto, buffalo mozzarella, basil.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

ogopogo posted:

The sourdough culture has been in my family since the Yukon Gold Rush, kept alive and passed down through the generations.

Those pizzas look great, but if that is true then that is especially badass, kudos on eating the great (however many generations passed) grandchildren of the yeast your great (however many generations ago) grandparents ate.

EDIT: loving PEDANTS. :arghfist::saddowns:

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 30, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

But Not Tonight posted:

Those pizzas look great, but if that is true then that is especially badass, kudos on eating the great^n grandchildren of the yeast your great^n grandparents ate.

Sorry to be pedantic but one of those can't be n.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

anyone interested in a pizza steel? go here pizza steel thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598826

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Here's my second attempt. I'm quite pleased with it :)

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Acquired a cheapo pizza stone. This was my first attempt.

It is ugly as sin, and due to not having a peel, I dropped like one third of the toppings on the stone itself but the crust had a REALLY GOOD TEXTURE so I guess that is a success. I now need to acquire a peel.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

jkk posted:

Here's my second attempt. I'm quite pleased with it :)

And so should you be! I might give Pirkka cheese a chance next time then.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Made pizza dough yesterday and then made two pizza. Everything was very tasty.
Had quite a few problems when shaping the dough in something that resembled a pizza and finally I used a bottle to flat the stuff cause I was making holes in the dough when trying by hand... Could use some tips on the technique here.

Chorizo, Mushrooms

Gorgonzola, Parmigiano, Mushrooms, Corn

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Le0 posted:

Could use some tips on the technique here.

Don't rush. Let the dough rest 5 minutes and try again. If that doesn't help...are you kneading enough?

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Hey guys, could I get a bit of newbie-pizzamaking troubleshooting?

I used to make my pizzas on one of those sheet pans with holes in it. I really liked the results, even though the bottom crust would usually remain pale. But I got concerned about its nonstick coating being exposed to maximum oven temperatures. Plus everyone says that a stone/steel is the way to go, so eventually I got a 3/8" baking steel and an aluminium paddle.

I haven't been able to get great results :(. I've tried both the broiler method and near the bottom of the oven (with a 2nd pizza stone, that I got gifted after getting the steel, on the above rack) and have run into the same problems.

By the time the top is ready, the very bottom of the crust cooks well (my latest attempt, where I confirmed getting the steel itself to 500, even had that nice leoparding effect), but the rest of the crust puffs up and seems undercooked at the top/back; soft and chewy with a couple small sections of obviously underbaked dough without bubbles.

My current hypothesis is that, since I'm making my pizzas smaller than before (to have leeway paddling it on), my sense for the pizza is off and I need to stretch the dough even thinner and/or with even less toppings (though I'm not sure how bit of a problem the last one is since the toppings themselves will get brown and bubbly easily).

But there's one thing that's sort of nagging on me: all the mentions of the stone making "New York style pizza". I grew up in NY, though I don't think I had anything other than cheapo pizza there. Still, I don't remember it being this puffy (maybe the cheapo places didn't ferment the dough?), though I do remember peeling back the cheese as a kid and the dough being a bit chewy/soft at the top.

Basically, I'm not sure how much I'm doing wrong and how much of the soft/puffy/chewy thing is how it's supposed to be with a steel. Those are qualities I go for when I make bread, but... Maybe I got myself used to overcooked pizza, but I like it to be a lot more crisp and flat, and honestly had no issue with the (far less labour-intensive) outcome of the hole sheet pizzas. Those would generally work out even if I screwed up with heavy toppings and thick dough.

So I'm wondering if I should just get an aluminium version of one of those, or if I just need to keep trying with the steel to get crisper results.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm doing tests along those lines right now, and while the crust comes out very nicely on a steel, I have come to the conclusion that a baking stone above is pathetically too weak to cook the top. I have also tried a dutch oven.

My oven doesn't have a top broiler so I've resorted to putting a few slices in my toaster oven at a time and using the electric broiler in that to cook the tops. 5 minutes on high finishes cooking off the top with satisfactory brown spots on the cheese.

As far as puffiness, I think it comes with the territory with cooking at extra high heat, it's all the steam rapidly pushing out of the dough that gives it its lift.

This is a bit of a conundrum for me with cooking naan as well. Both naan and pizza are best in a super hot oven, and although a steel does awesome where it makes contact with the bread, the issue is that you're not getting that 700-800°F air to cook the rest of it.

I will be ordering a second steel for overhead soon and will post any results.

I'm almost certain you won't get crispy results like a steel if you use a pizza screen, unless you resort to overcooking the entire thing.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 6, 2014

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
For those with both a baking steel and baking stone, do you use the stone for anything now?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Le0 posted:

Made pizza dough yesterday and then made two pizza. Everything was very tasty.
Had quite a few problems when shaping the dough in something that resembled a pizza and finally I used a bottle to flat the stuff cause I was making holes in the dough when trying by hand... Could use some tips on the technique here.

If the dough is difficult to spread by hand, you almost certainly have too little water in your recipe. Shoot for something like 60% hydration by weight. Plenty of water for spreading, but not so much that it won't get brown and crispy. How long are you letting it rise for? I'd go at least a day, although you can deal with a short rise if you have enough water. Gluten is almost never the problem since any decent mixer will knead the dough enough for that.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Goddamn posted:

My current hypothesis is that, since I'm making my pizzas smaller than before (to have leeway paddling it on), my sense for the pizza is off and I need to stretch the dough even thinner and/or with even less toppings (though I'm not sure how bit of a problem the last one is since the toppings themselves will get brown and bubbly easily).

Yeah, I've never used a steel (only a stone), but the only time I ran into problems anything like what you're describing was when I ended up not stretching the dough out thin enough.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I have a general question about stones, both for Pizza and bread in general. Does the thickness of the stone really matter. I currently use a big old granite flooring tile that I bought cheaply and which works great. However it is rather heavy, about 15 kilos, and cumbersome. So I'm thinking of picking up a similar but thinner flooring tile instead. Would the thickness of the stone really matter all that much?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I'm going to be attempting the dough in the OP, I'm not sure about the yeast though. I bought some stuff, Fleischmans quickrise I think? Will that work?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Nostrum posted:

If the dough is difficult to spread by hand, you almost certainly have too little water in your recipe. Shoot for something like 60% hydration by weight. Plenty of water for spreading, but not so much that it won't get brown and crispy. How long are you letting it rise for? I'd go at least a day, although you can deal with a short rise if you have enough water. Gluten is almost never the problem since any decent mixer will knead the dough enough for that.

I think my recipe called for enough water however it asked for only 1 hour of rise which honestly is quite convenient for me. Would it really improve the dough a lot by letting it raise overnight? Should I let it rise at ambient or in fridge?
I will give it another try soon.

Stonedog
Sep 9, 2001

Wait a minute, penguins can't fly!
Grimey Drawer

DekeThornton posted:

I have a general question about stones, both for Pizza and bread in general. Does the thickness of the stone really matter. I currently use a big old granite flooring tile that I bought cheaply and which works great. However it is rather heavy, about 15 kilos, and cumbersome. So I'm thinking of picking up a similar but thinner flooring tile instead. Would the thickness of the stone really matter all that much?

I think the big thing is that a thicker stone takes longer to heat up, but will not lose as much heat when you put the dough on it. So it should cook faster and be ready for another pizza sooner. At least thats the way I understand it.

Le0 posted:

I think my recipe called for enough water however it asked for only 1 hour of rise which honestly is quite convenient for me. Would it really improve the dough a lot by letting it raise overnight? Should I let it rise at ambient or in fridge?

The biggest improvement in my dough was when I started making a 60%ish hydration dough that rises in the fridge for 1-2 days. Try it once and see if it works for you.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Le0 posted:

Let it rise in the fridge, it will overrise at room temp. Yes, it makes a very big difference.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Alright, wish me luck. Making my first pizza ever tonight! I made myself a baking steel at work, gonna be using that along with the recipe in OP. Will post back in a few hours in either utter failure or sweet pizza victory.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Annnnd it went...okay.

The dough came out really good I think. It was incredibly easy to stretch. I was surprised, especially not having done it before. The main problem I think it my oven doesn't quite get hot enough. The bottom of the pizza wasn't as brown and crispy as I would have liked, but it was definitely something I could see actually getting from a take out place.

Dough after sitting in the fridge overnight

My five inch rounds that I let rest for 2 hours

My stretched dough. Stupid hole! :argh:

Topped. I just went with sauce and cheese for this trial run. I figure more experimenting can come later.

Here it is out of the oven. Took about 4 minutes

Crumb shot or whatever

Here's the second one I made. I tried a different sauce and cheese and I liked this one a lot better, even though it's a stupidly shaped pizza

Crumb shot of the second pizza

All in all, it went alright. I definitely need some more practice and to nail down a technique. The baking steel definitely seems to work really well. Any advice is welcome!

VaLiancY
Dec 25, 2007
Late Registration
I've been trying out Alton's Brown pizza dough and it's been working out pretty good for me. It's been better since I bought some terracotta tiles from Home Depot, they're starting to get black but they're dirt cheap so it's easy to replace them.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Can I easily double the ingredients of the recipe to create more dough?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

I don't know a lot, but I do know that the pies I pulled out of my oven today were just as good as pizzas I get from anywhere I've ever had a slice.

What I've found so far is: 1) the crust is super important to get right and 2) less is more when it comes to toppings.

Today, I did a pizza dough that was raised overnight in the fridge. I found this to be a lot more workable when trying for that really thin pie, as well as having much more flavor.

4 1/2 cups (20.25 ounces) unbleached high-gluten, bread, or all-purpose flour, chilled
1 3/4 (.44 ounce) teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon (.11 ounce) instant yeast
1/4 cup (2 ounces) olive oil (optional)
1 3/4 cups (14 ounces) water, ice cold (40°F)
Semolina flour

Toss the dry in a bowl, slowly add the cold water and olive oil into the dry ingredients and mix with your fingers. Keep mixing and rotating the bowl until the dough comes away from the sides, but still sticks to the bottom. 5-7 minutes or so should do it.

It should be smooth, elastic, and sticky. Set into an oiled bowl and oil the top as well. Cover with plastic and set in the fridge to rest overnight.

Cut your dough into the sizes you want. Gently press the dough into flat disks about 1/2 inch thick and 5 inches in diameter. Sprinkle the dough with flour, mist it again with spray oil, and cover the dough loosely with plastic. Let rest for 2 hours.

Set your oven as high as it goes, and preheat for at least 45 minutes.

Generously dust a peel or the back of a sheet pan with semolina flour or cornmeal. Make the pizzas one at a time. Dip your hands, including the backs of your hands and knuckles, in flour and lift I piece of dough by getting under it with a pastry scraper. Very gently lay the dough across your fists and carefully stretch it by bouncing the dough in a circular motion on your hands, carefully giving it a little stretch with each bounce. If it begins to stick to your hands, lay it down on the floured counter and reflour your hands, then continue shaping it.

Once the dough has expanded outward, move to a full toss. If you have trouble tossing the dough, or if the dough keeps springing back, let it rest for 5 to 20 minutes so the gluten can relax, and try again. You can also resort to using a rolling pin, though this isn't as effective as tossing.

Set onto a peel dusted with semolina or regular flour and top as desired. I added sauce, pressed mozzarella, sausage, and onions on this.

Slide the pizza onto the stone (or bake directly on the sheet pan) and close the door. Wait 2 minutes, then take a peek. If it needs to be rotated 180 degrees for even baking, do so. The pizza should take about 8 minutes to bake.

This is what I got.

Crumb shot. Nice and thin.

One more. Bulgogi, onion and sriracha.

It looks like you put raw sausage on the pizza, was it cooked enough ? Anything that can save me time like skipping browning meat is always welcome.

onemanlan
Oct 4, 2006
edit

onemanlan fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 12, 2014

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Finally purchased my first ever pizza stone and gave it a test run today. Realized that I now need a peel because loving christ, it was hard getting it into the oven and in the process I hosed up the looks a little bit. My god though, it was good. The crust was perfect and yes, I like my pizza a little well done.

Artichoke hearts, anchovies and roasted garlic.

be gentle.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum

Throwdown posted:

Finally purchased my first ever pizza stone and gave it a test run today. Realized that I now need a peel because loving christ, it was hard getting it into the oven and in the process I hosed up the looks a little bit. My god though, it was good. The crust was perfect and yes, I like my pizza a little well done.

Artichoke hearts, anchovies and roasted garlic.

be gentle.

Looks and sounds like a drat good pizza. Did you use jarred artichoke hearts?

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Senior Funkenstien posted:

Looks and sounds like a drat good pizza. Did you use jarred artichoke hearts?

Yes, I had a jar in my pantry that I wanted to use up, next time I will use fresh since I love artichokes in general and it will give me an excuse to scrape some leaves on my teeth.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

nvm!

M42 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 20, 2014

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
The wife and I had friends over for pizza on Friday, so of course the one that I threw together for lunch on Sunday turned out the best.

Reinhart NY style dough cooked on a baking steel under the broiler for about 4 minutes

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Oh yeah, that's a good looking pie. I feel like I suffer from the same problem. The pizzas I make for myself always turn out better and the ones I make for people something always turns out wrong. I SWEAR I CAN MAKE GOOD PIZZA GUYS!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

This thread has a distinct lack of tavern-style pizza. Dough dockin' 4 lyfe

Only registered members can see post attachments!

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
What exactly is "Tavern-style" pizza? It looks pretty drat good.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Does anyone have a good recipe for a Chicago-style deep-dish pizza? Can you even make them in a regular (gas) oven?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

smarion2 posted:

What exactly is "Tavern-style" pizza? It looks pretty drat good.

Thin, crispy, leavened crust. Generally round, and always cut into squares (that's called tavern or party cut). Most prominent in Chicago, Milwaukee, and around the midwest. It's good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Thin, crispy, leavened crust. Generally round, and always cut into squares (that's called tavern or party cut). Most prominent in Chicago, Milwaukee, and around the midwest. It's good stuff.
A more generic is http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...zza-recipe.html

I have not tried the posted method or recipe.