Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cerony posted:

Added you hoping you have Sableye.

FC: 0774-4484-9102

I'd like to know if I do or not too. I added you. My in-game name is Astrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Welp, I've bred so many mawiles hoping for a shiny that I hit the perfect IV jackpot first. Good breeding stock for other things in its egg groups I guess.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Does tipping people actually do anything in this game?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Star Man posted:

People seem convinced that it increases your chances of getting shiny pokemon, but I'm not sure if that's an actual thing or a placebo effect + increased shiny rate.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Star Man posted:

I'd like to know if I do or not too. I added you. My in-game name is Astrum.

You have Sneasel, Vullaby, and Absol.

Will I ever find you HA Sableye...

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

For you guys looking for Prankster Sableye, I have one in my copy of Black. Once I can transfer, I can just breed a bunch for you goons.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Greetings forums superstars Zoness, TatersYum, EthanSteele and AtrociousToaster! I've added you guys because I'd like some of your sweet sweet Pokemon. My FC is 5043-1237-1109. I'll send PMs to those of you that have them, but I thought I'd leave this, just in case.

Goodpart fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 6, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I finally finished this thing. I even used twelve different types like I've always dreamed of.

Susan Strong the Abomasnow served as my starter. She had much HP. She destroyed the earlygame but had problems in lategame when I kept running into things with Fire or something. When she could though, Wood Hammer obliterated all fools ever. I even let her get the final hit on AZ's Golurk. :3: She and I also took Super Training to town because the fast shots rule.

Rotom (not nicknamed due to being a breeding reject from some hateful Satan person in New York who doesn't nickname their Pokemon) was a total baller because Thunderbolt's a great electric attack until you get ground out by a Marowak, and Overheat didn't hurt either. Also, due to being traded he was constantly higher-leveled than the rest of my party, which didn't hurt.

Teapot the Scrafty was a total impulse choice who worked out perfectly. Did you know High Jump Kick rules? I didn't, but now I do because an imprint of Teapot's feet is laid into the faces of approximately a third of the Pokemon in Kalos by this point. Except the Fairies, they're scary.

Edge Maverick the Tyrantrum was iffy at first until I realized that his lack of STAB moves wasn't a problem because of Strong Jaw. His typing kinda sucks but that's okay because he has a big mouth that is the better to eat people with. It also does a lot of damage, that is also a plus. Also, he's too tall to fit on the screen in Head It which is absurdly adorable.

Lancaster the Staraptor was me going "wait poo poo I need a flier and I can't use Hawlucha because of Teapot uhhhh that one," and then later going "whoaly gently caress you're awesome." Two words: Brave Bird. Another two words: Close Combat. Lancaster basically jobbed Diantha's entire team after the Tyrantrum, even the Gardevoir (Thunderbolt? PSH.) She is also very majestic and if I actually had a Staraptor I would ride her literally everywhere because she is so cool.

I'd like to give a hearty shoutout to Something Awful PokePal Mr. Confetti for helping me evolve Wakowski the Gengar. He's a fragile snowflake but hell if he doesn't have some coverage. I even got to use a Fairy move for the first time ever because he learns Dazzling Gleam! It was all very exciting. Also he is the goofiest ghost how have I never used this guy until now? Ghosts rule and Gengar rules (Drifblim and Golurk are still better though.)

This game is awesome and stuff. I can do cool flips and tricks on my rad roller skates while getting my Pokemon pumped for fitness, it's great. Now time to finally, finally find out what the third guy in my Friend Safari is! (Also to job that loser Calem some more, 'cause he's a total putz.)

Speaking of, 3840-5842-9725, Flying-type with Swanna, Farfetch'd, and some other mysterious monster. You too can initiate your own Project Les Canartichos Terrible!

Edit: Oh, and IGN is Lady Bird.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jan 6, 2014

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Did somebody mention the elemental monkeys?

Set this up as a joke team of the most hated Pokemon imaginable, and did surprisingly well in their first game.

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-uubeta-75361780

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

alcharagia posted:

I'd like to give a hearty shoutout to Something Awful PokePal Mr. Confetti for helping me evolve Wakowski the Gengar.

Glad I could help! :cheers:

Also added everyone on the last 2 pages.

FC: 3566-1578-9713
IGN: Jessica

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.

MustelaFuro posted:

Could I have some feedback on this strategy? I'm looking for ways to improve it. Sometimes I end up sweeping, sometimes I barely pull off the win, sometimes I lose, but most of the time my opponent forfeits by the time Victini reaches +2 def, spec. def, and speed.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-75275326

Sylvester Wallone (Umbreon) (M) @ Red Card
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play
- Moonlight
- Psych Up

Whoopass Goldberg (Malamar) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Contrary
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Superpower
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Topsy-turvy

Hilary Fluff (Whimsicott) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Taunt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Charm

Anna Burnallova (Victini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 108 Atk / 252 HP / 148 Def
Impish Nature
- V-create
- Protect
- Role Play
- Zen Headbutt

Hugo Teething (Aerodactyl) (M) @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Wide Guard
- Rock Slide
- Roost
- Sky Drop

Mary Tyler Soar (Latias) (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 176 Spd / 252 HP / 80 SDef
Timid Nature
- Psych Up
- Heal Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost

Advice please.

I hate to be the rear end in a top hat who quotes themselves, but, anyone?

MinistryofLard posted:

Did somebody mention the elemental monkeys?

Set this up as a joke team of the most hated Pokemon imaginable, and did surprisingly well in their first game.

http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-uubeta-75361780

The link leads to an empty, post-match room. I think you copied the wrong link.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

MustelaFuro posted:

I hate to be the rear end in a top hat who quotes themselves, but, anyone?

The link leads to an empty, post-match room. I think you copied the wrong link.

If you click Instant Replay it shows the match.

Also, is there a reason that I am missing as to why your Aerodactyl has 0 Attack IV?

e: This Winter's Wont mode on PS is awesome and I love it. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/seasonalwinterswont-75366059

e2: To the guy below me; The ability Gale Wings allows it to have priority Flying-type moves like Roost and Brave Bird, as well as access to Flare Blitz, WoW, and Acrobatics.

Unbound fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 6, 2014

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
So I never used one because I think they're ugly and their name is stupid, what apparently makes Talonflame so good?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

So I never used one because I think they're ugly and their name is stupid, what apparently makes Talonflame so good?

Talonflame's hidden ability, Gale Wings, gives him +1 priority on all Flying-type moves, so he can use STAB Brave Bird first all the time forever.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

alcharagia posted:

Talonflame's hidden ability, Gale Wings, gives him +1 priority on all Flying-type moves, so he can use STAB Brave Bird first all the time forever.

Is his hidden ability even legally obtainable in game or is this just from people hacking and/or anticipating what will happen?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Is his hidden ability even legally obtainable in game or is this just from people hacking and/or anticipating what will happen?

He's available in the Flying Friend Safari.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Unbound posted:

If you click Instant Replay it shows the match.

Also, is there a reason that I am missing as to why your Aerodactyl has 0 Attack IV?

e: This Winter's Wont mode on PS is awesome and I love it. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/seasonalwinterswont-75366059

e2: To the guy below me; The ability Gale Wings allows it to have priority Flying-type moves like Roost and Brave Bird, as well as access to Flare Blitz, WoW, and Acrobatics.
Oh stupid me n both accounts. I somehow forgot about the replay function and the 0 attack Auerodacty is an oversight because the pokemon that previously held that spot wasn't a physical attacker. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

MustelaFuro posted:

Oh stupid me n both accounts. I somehow forgot about the replay function and the 0 attack Auerodacty is an oversight because the pokemon that previously held that spot wasn't a physical attacker. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

No problem man. I did like how you throw 0 Attack IV on every non-physical attacker you have, that will show those Foul Play-ers.

In this battle I stop this guys Skarmory in it's tracks with Magic Bounce Espeon every time. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-75374729

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I love magic bounce, and I love espeon. Breloom can eat poo poo and die.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Unbound posted:

No problem man. I did like how you throw 0 Attack IV on every non-physical attacker you have, that will show those Foul Play-ers.

In this battle I stop this guys Skarmory in it's tracks with Magic Bounce Espeon every time. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-75374729

Why did he keep using swagger on physical attackers? I only use that it on special attackers or support Pokemon. If the confusion doesn't set in that turn then you basically screwed yourself.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ignite Memories posted:

I love magic bounce, and I love espeon. Breloom can eat poo poo and die.

Rude beyond belief. Pretty much everything about Breloom owns, especially his design. Happy little mushroom birdlizard thing

MustelaFuro posted:

Why did he keep using swagger on physical attackers? I only use that it on special attackers or support Pokemon. If the confusion doesn't set in that turn then you basically screwed yourself.

Because there's a chance confusion will indeed set in and 90% of battling is assuming everything goes in your favor

oddium fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 6, 2014

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

The only hidden abilities that aren't out are for the fossils(Rock Head and Snow Warning), Clawitzer and Skrelp (Adaptability) lines. Which is funny because Clawitzer is the only one that doesn't need theirs.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

nippon nifties posted:

Rude beyond belief. Pretty much everything about Breloom owns, especially his design. Happy little mushroom birdlizard thing

Because there's a chance confusion will indeed set in and 90% of battling is assuming everything goes in your favor

I always assume the opposite because that's usually how anything with an element of randomness does go.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Rudoku posted:

The only hidden abilities that aren't out are for the fossils(Rock Head and Snow Warning), Clawitzer and Skrelp (Adaptability) lines. Which is funny because Clawitzer is the only one that doesn't need theirs.

Is that just Kalos dex guys or that's really it for all pokemon?

MustelaFuro posted:

I always assume the opposite because that's usually how anything with an element of randomness does go.

The whole point of swagger is you're hoping they will hit themselves for boosted damage.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

So far i'm really digging this game. How long will it take before I understand what the gently caress most of you are talking about? I really want to sperg out over this and get into the mechanics. Will the game teach me this stuff over time, or is there more advanced stuff to it? I know i'm being vague, but that's because I don't yet even know what questions to ask.

There's tons of EV training guides already written on the Internet on Marriland, Smogon, Serebii, etc... You might wanna try reading that, nature charts, and the basics of breeding. And THEN if you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

The OP also has a ton of these links as well.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

I have a battle strategy question. Is it worth adding a Trevenant to my team to use forest curse on my contrary (from roleplay) Victini to remove its ground and water weaknesses?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Is that just Kalos dex guys or that's really it for all pokemon?

The whole point of swagger is you're hoping they will hit themselves for boosted damage.

It's also infinitely safer on non-physical pokemon since the composite working chance of Swagger is 45% which is a losing strategy. Unless of course you have no other winning strategies.

Swagger can work well with Safeguard in doubles to just be an extra swords dance on your sweeper every turn.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Star Man posted:

It raises fashion. A lot of people think it raises the shiny rate, but there's no proof of that at all and every reason to suspect it's the placebo effect.

e: also there's a medal for doing it a lot if you are mental care about such things.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

I change my team up slightly and I think it works better now. Using guard swap between shuckle and victini really adds some bulk.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogondoubles-75439775

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://dualpixels.com/2014/01/06/rumor-geno-provides-information-supposed-next-gen-pokemon-games-plus-minus/

Here's the next Pokemon game that isn't real and will never come out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well isn't this a cute gimmick.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-75463042

Sadly no matter how cute Furfrou is I don't think this can work much.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

I would be astonished if any of that is true. For one thing, Generation 6 isn't yet three months old. There's no way they have gotten as much done on Generation 7 as that spiel suggests. For another, it looks calculated to push buttons with the fanbase ("GameFreak plans to completely overhaul the basic systems of battle, simplifying the process.")

It's not the silliest set of ideas that have ever been put out on the internet, anyone remember that "Pokémon Rainbow" or whatever it was that was rumoured before Gen 6 was announced...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hammerite posted:

I would be astonished if any of that is true. For one thing, Generation 6 isn't yet three months old. There's no way they have gotten as much done on Generation 7 as that spiel suggests. For another, it looks calculated to push buttons with the fanbase ("GameFreak plans to completely overhaul the basic systems of battle, simplifying the process.")

It's not the silliest set of ideas that have ever been put out on the internet, anyone remember that "Pokémon Rainbow" or whatever it was that was rumoured before Gen 6 was announced...

The fact that the gyms aren't type bound should have instantly shouted 'FANBOY CREATED RUMORS' to anyone with half a brain. Also the fact that it'd be the official Gen 7 and it's not on a handheld like every other entry to the mainline games. Also the fact that there's already Starter designs known. ALSO the fact that Matsuda announced he was traveling to England not too far back just like he announced he was visiting New York before Gen 5 came out and France before Gen 6.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 6, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

alcharagia posted:

Speaking of, 3840-5842-9725, Flying-type with Swanna, Farfetch'd, and some other mysterious monster. You too can initiate your own Project Les Canartichons Terrible!

Hey, I'm here to tell y'all that the final guy in my safari is Fletchinder.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Also, that picture preceding the article has been bumping around Tumblr for months. I think that Pokemon Fighter thing might be legit, though? They might've announced that on some Nintendo Direct.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

alcharagia posted:

Hey, I'm here to tell y'all that the final guy in my safari is Fletchinder.

Adding you. 1075-2075-4322

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Even thought this is fake as poo poo, I would absolutely love for them to overhaul the game mechanics. The game has been really stale since 4th gen, because not much has changed besides minor balance things.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Constable Lemon posted:

Even thought this is fake as poo poo, I would absolutely love for them to overhaul the game mechanics. The game has been really stale since 4th gen, because not much has changed besides minor balance things.

An entire new type is "minor balance things?"

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

alcharagia posted:

An entire new type is "minor balance things?"

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

'Minor' Changes in Gen VI:

1. Fairy Type (indirectly nerfing Dark, Dragon, Fighting)
2. Steel Type nerfs (man who uses steel types anyway)
3. Mega Evolutions
4. Sleep Changes
5. Removing permanent weather
6. New moves/abilities (Gale Wings, Sticky Web, X-ilate)
7. Removal of gems
8. Across-the-board lowering of base power on common special coverage moves
9. DEFOG

All of these changes touch on important elements in the competitive scene in Gen V and shape the competitive scene in Gen VI, so I'm going to have to say that calling them minor changes is pretty ridiculous.

Might as well call non-banned weather setters from Gen VI to Gen V minor as well :psyduck: (psyduck don't care about weather) or Gems or [other things].

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 6, 2014

• Locked thread