Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Aaaannnnd nevermind, it is apparently me who is the retard.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Any recommendations for a hidden camera? I can be away from home up to 12 hours for work. Getting 2 more roommates, may be wise to grab one at this point.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Any recommendations for a hidden camera? I can be away from home up to 12 hours for work. Getting 2 more roommates, may be wise to grab one at this point.
Video recording your roommates without their knowledge is hella creepy and (probably depending on what state you're in) hopefully illegal.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Video recording your roommates without their knowledge is hella creepy and (probably depending on what state you're in) hopefully illegal.

I assume it would be in his room only.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah its going to be in my room, pointed at the door. In a house of what is going to be 9, someone may decide they'd like to see whats in their roomies rooms, ya know?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Get a trail cam. That's what my boss uses in his office, haha. It's a camera people use to get pictures of wildlife. Basically it takes a picture or video when it senses motion and just saves the photos to a memory card on the camera (so you can't use it remotely). You can get infrared ones for invisible nighttime pictures too. Just set it on a bookshelf between some books or something, turn it on when you're gone and check it every week or so.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Ask your landlord to put locks on the bedroom doors and lock your room when you leave - waaaaay easier. You can do it yourself if you're any good with door handles.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Mad Wack posted:

Ask your landlord to put locks on the bedroom doors and lock your room when you leave - waaaaay easier. You can do it yourself if you're any good with door handles.

++

It's literally two screws - old knob falls out. 2 screws, new knob goes in. You can put a regular keyed lock (like in your front door) in. Then you'll know someone's been in your room because of the kicked in door.

The recording thing is paranoid. I had a roomie do that once, and it didn't convince him we weren't stealing his poo poo, it just convinced him we had found a way around the recording. He actually got more paranoid.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I'm looking for a tall, narrow dresser to put clothes in. I have a small space in which to put this thing, and right now we're keeping a lot of our clothes in one of those lovely plastic white dorm-style drawers. I'm 27, time for some better furniture.

Anyway I keep coming up with "Lingerie Chests" which are tall narrow dressers like I want, but they all look like the drawers are really shallow (obviously since they're meant to hold underwear and small stuff). I want something to hold lots of clothes - shirts, pants, socks, etc. Anyone got any recommendations or even key words to search for? I'm looking for something that's ~24 inches wide or less and has 3 or more drawers. Vertical space isn't an issue, just the width is problematic. Thanks!

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

razz posted:

I'm looking for a tall, narrow dresser to put clothes in. I have a small space in which to put this thing, and right now we're keeping a lot of our clothes in one of those lovely plastic white dorm-style drawers. I'm 27, time for some better furniture.

Anyway I keep coming up with "Lingerie Chests" which are tall narrow dressers like I want, but they all look like the drawers are really shallow (obviously since they're meant to hold underwear and small stuff). I want something to hold lots of clothes - shirts, pants, socks, etc. Anyone got any recommendations or even key words to search for? I'm looking for something that's ~24 inches wide or less and has 3 or more drawers. Vertical space isn't an issue, just the width is problematic. Thanks!

Ikea has one in the Hemenes line:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20248415/

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Funny, I literally just came across that as I was searching and it looks just like what I need and is within my price range. Thanks! Now to decide on a color.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

razz posted:

Funny, I literally just came across that as I was searching and it looks just like what I need and is within my price range. Thanks! Now to decide on a color.

One thing to be aware of, which may or may not put you off, is that the drawers in that series have an odd line-pattern on the bottom. Of course you won't see it when they're full of clothes. Something like the back wall in this cabinet.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What do people use to organize their stereo equipment? Receiver, DVR, etc. We just have it in a precarious stack but that is bad for cooling and aesthetics. Maybe some kind of vertical rack but ideally something not super modern. I didn't see anything suitable at IKEA.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

smackfu posted:

What do people use to organize their stereo equipment? Receiver, DVR, etc. We just have it in a precarious stack but that is bad for cooling and aesthetics. Maybe some kind of vertical rack but ideally something not super modern. I didn't see anything suitable at IKEA.

I have mine in my coat closet, on that useless top shelf. All the wiring runs in there. There is absolutely no visible wiring. WIN.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Just on a TV stand like this one, minus the double VHSes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah yes, the difficulty factor here is that we have the TV in front of the unused fireplace, and ideally want to keep the TV on the floor (well, the fireplace floor). So I just need a rack for the components, not the TV.

Or maybe something very low, like this credenza from CB2:

Still 21" tall though, which moves the TV up 21", which makes it almost cross the fireplace mantle which looks crummy.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 5, 2014

mtr
May 15, 2008

smackfu posted:

How tall are you looking to go? I use the below shelving unit from Ikea to hold my components, but it's over 5 feet tall. There may be something else you could use in that line though.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50214678/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Anyone have any ideas for some low cost shelving that won't fall apart if you look at it wrong. I'm kinda tired of my books and DVDs just being in piles along walls. I would also like to take my CDs out of boxes.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Iron Crowned posted:

Anyone have any ideas for some low cost shelving that won't fall apart if you look at it wrong. I'm kinda tired of my books and DVDs just being in piles along walls. I would also like to take my CDs out of boxes.

How willing are you to steal milk crates?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CaptainJuan posted:

How willing are you to steal milk crates?

Considering I'm a few weeks away from 33, I want something that looks more presentable.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

What's the best place to buy area rugs? Is it best to go see them in person vs. ordering online? It seems daunting because I'm afraid I'm going to get it home and it won't match because I forgot about some color pair in the room or something.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Erwin posted:

What's the best place to buy area rugs? Is it best to go see them in person vs. ordering online? It seems daunting because I'm afraid I'm going to get it home and it won't match because I forgot about some color pair in the room or something.

Buying area rugs online is risky for just that reason. When I bought them for my last house, we went to a local rug store, and they let us take home a few to see which ones looked best. Turns out, we were WAY wrong about what would work. I would buy local, or at least check them out locally, and maybe take pictures of your space to the store so the sales folks could help guide you.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Iron Crowned posted:

Considering I'm a few weeks away from 33, I want something that looks more presentable.

Those wire shelving units you can get for like $20 at Target are a step above milk crates, but still not exactly attractive. We keep all our board games on one, but we keep it in a closet, too. If you're feeling handy, you could always make some monstrosity out of PVC piping and boards? Paint the pipes, use the placement of joiners to designate shelf heights. Otherwise, your cheapest options are walmart-style particle board bookshelves and such, probably. I haven't had one collapse on me yet, unless you count the time my drunk roommate fell on one a few years ago.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Standard answers of IKEA and Target. It won't fall apart if you put it together right. Also, thrift stores can be shockingly good for this. I personally recommend your local unfinished pine furniture outlet - paint it or stain it any color you like or leave it yellow, you will get a solid piece of plain furniture for $100 or less

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The classic solutions are the Ikea Expedit or Billy. The problem is they're so well-known that everyone will take one look and go "oh you went for the white Expedit, huh?"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Iron Crowned posted:

What is low cost? If you are talking like, $20-$50 for a shelf unit, then basically your only choice is to scope out local thrift stores looking for something suitable to turn up. You might be able to find a solid unfinished piece in that range if you can locate a place that makes/sells them.

Personally I like the Target 'Threshold' range of stuff. They are more middle cost (you are looking at $80-$130, the latter for a full size five-sheld bookcase) but I think its worth it. They look more like grown-up furniture than the walmart $30 shelves, and they hold up so much better - we have had a five and three shelf set that has lasted us ~6 years now, and weathered three moves in good shape.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Anne Whateley posted:

The classic solutions are the Ikea Expedit or Billy. The problem is they're so well-known that everyone will take one look and go "oh you went for the white Expedit, huh?"

I love my Expedit since it's also my wall. You can find them on Craigslist for a bit of a discount when people are moving.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.
Anyone doing the Apartment Therapy January Cure? The first assignment was to make a list of all the poo poo you should do around the house; it doesn't have to get done immediately, but it puts you in the right frame of mind to improve your home.

My list started with 37 items (ranging from five-minute tasks to serious projects) and has crept to over 45. I've crossed off eight of them, but uggghhhh.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Betazoid posted:

Anyone doing the Apartment Therapy January Cure? The first assignment was to make a list of all the poo poo you should do around the house; it doesn't have to get done immediately, but it puts you in the right frame of mind to improve your home.

My list started with 37 items (ranging from five-minute tasks to serious projects) and has crept to over 45. I've crossed off eight of them, but uggghhhh.

This sound cool, do you mind sharing some of your list? All I can think of is to put up curtains in my bedroom.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Betazoid posted:

I hadn't seen that before, but it's a great looking list. I could really stand to do this. Here's a link for those interested.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My January home improvement time is dedicated to getting all the Christmas decorations packed away, and the new gifts put away somewhere. (Yes, we like to cook and appreciate your gifts, but you didn't buy us a bigger kitchen, did you?)

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Iron Crowned posted:

Are you handy? You can build shelves very easily with planks and pipe from the hardware store. You can wall-mount them or make free-standing ones (although you'll want to secure any tall free-standing units to the wall somehow).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

demozthenes posted:

Are you handy? You can build shelves very easily with planks and pipe from the hardware store. You can wall-mount them or make free-standing ones (although you'll want to secure any tall free-standing units to the wall somehow).

That's actually a slick looking design. I was starting to consider just building some. The problem I have is I don't particularly care for the design/layout of most shelves I've seen. I did like one from ikea, but they didn't make it in the size that would work best for me.

EDIT:

The biggest downside would be the fact that I live in an appartment.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

demozthenes posted:

I built a wall unit in my house from galvanized pipe and pine planks. It's not cheap by any means. The pipe adds up super fast. And it needs to be screwed into a wall so that's one thing to keep in mind if you're renting. But the possibilities are endless if you measure right.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

smackfu posted:

My January home improvement time is dedicated to getting all the Christmas decorations packed away, and the new gifts put away somewhere. (Yes, we like to cook and appreciate your gifts, but you didn't buy us a bigger kitchen, did you?)
Prior to Christmas, we told everyone we wanted to redo our bedroom and our den. Hello stacks of Ikea/Urban Barn/Restoration Hardware gift cards and no new clutter in the apartment! My parents even added a "coupon" to their Ikea gift card for a drive out to Ikea and full payment for home delivery :v:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
^^^ I got a bunch of Home Depot cards this year, I've been hoarding them like gold.

john mayer posted:

I built a wall unit in my house from galvanized pipe and pine planks. It's not cheap by any means. The pipe adds up super fast. And it needs to be screwed into a wall so that's one thing to keep in mind if you're renting. But the possibilities are endless if you measure right.

True, I'd recommend using reclaimed materials from a ReStore or similar place - it saved me a ton of money and gave it a really nice look as well. My 4' bookshelf didn't need to be secured to the wall but I'll be building an enormous wall-mounted desk-and-shelves setup later this year, I expect that to get pretty costly.

demozthenes fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 8, 2014

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

RisqueBarber posted:

This sound cool, do you mind sharing some of your list? All I can think of is to put up curtains in my bedroom.

Sure. My husband and I bought a condo last May and still haven't set it up properly. (My new year's resolution was to get the house in order.) This is a copy of the list I have on my work computer; we since added hand-written tasks I can't remember. I made the list on January 2 and have marked the completed tasks with a +.

General:
- Purchase Christmas stockings on sale for December 2014.
- Return popcorn maker and slow cooker to Bed Bath and Beyond.
- Wipe down baseboards with fabric softener sheets.
- Sweep/vacuum/mop all floors.
+ Buy big Rubbermaid bin for Christmas décor; store in downstairs storage area.
- Buy fire-proof safe for passports, birth certificates, marriage license, etc.

Living Room:
- Paint forgotten chair leg on accent chair.
- Mount 60” television on wall.
- Clean off television stand and organize DVDs/games.
+ Organize and clear out front closet.
+ Organize and clear out hall closet.
- Purchase dog-proof throw pillows for couch.
- Get brown flat sheet for couch cover.
- Hang “framing” curtains on window.
- Buy and install programmable thermostat. (May need help from brother-in-law.)

Office Nook:
- Find better place for printer.
+ Organize/donate/sell unwanted books.
- Find better place for standing lamp.
- Buy a desk with storage for this corner.

Bar:
- Hang dart board or put away.
- Mount can-crusher somewhere inconspicuous.
- Finish bottle cap table.
- Mount 32” television on wall.
- Finish shelves in bar nook.
- Hang big antique mirror (anchor hook).

Bedroom:
- Buy and hang curtains.
- Buy a rug or carpet runners.
- Repair paint chip above bed.
- Buy real headboard for bed; hang art above.
- Add felt sliders to base of dresser.
+ Clean off dresser top, drawers, and night stands.
+ Hang jewelry cabinet and organize/donate/sell jewelry.
+ Organize/donate/sell unwanted clothing, shoes, and purses. Seal off-season in vac-bags.
- Fix bedroom lamps; buy twisty plugs from Home Depot.

Bathroom:
- Hang big art above toilet.
+ Thoroughly scrub floor and wash bath mats.
- Clean out medicine cabinet; wipe down shelves.
+ Gather medicines/toiletries together in boxes and store in closet.

Kitchen:
- Fix microwave vent (seems to be venting into cabinets).
- Repair chipped paint from mounting pot rack.
- Organize metal shelving rack with nice boxes.
- Donate unused items (food and storage/cooking).
+ Purchase another GOOD flipper/spatula.
- Purchase another “peacock” four-piece Fiesta set.
- Hang spatulas/flippers/ladles inside cabinet with 3M hooks.

Betazoid fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 9, 2014

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Hey guys, a little bit of a legal question here... We live in a duplex, and the property manager was doing a routine inspection of our place two days ago (she does one every six months when they spray for bugs) when she mentioned to my husband that the neighbor had been evicted for drug use and what looked to be a home set up for cooking meth in the bathtub. We were never informed of this, and I never saw police or fire inspecting the neighbor's unit. Does the property manager/landlady/whomever have a legal obligation to inform of us of the reason for the eviction when it's a suspected meth lab operation or illicit drug use? Am I wrong to email and ask if the property was properly inspected for safety after the neighbor was evicted? My husband doesn't want me to email, because he's not sure the property manager should have said anything, and he doesn't want to get her in trouble. I'm thinking I have every right to email and ask for more information, because we could have been exposed to toxins this entire time. Our bathrooms share a wall, and I'm not sure how well insulated the units are from each other. I remember being able to smell smoke a few times, and I just assumed it was her smoking indoors like she shouldn't have been. I'm also worried about the water not being completely separate--we each have our own meters, but the strength of water flow significantly decreases if both units are using water. Can anyone provide advice on the situation?

edit: the neighbor moved out in the beginning of November, so it's been almost two moths without anyone saying anything to us.

edit2: I also posted this question in the Legal questions thread, because I wasn't sure which thread was the proper venue.

Niemat fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 11, 2014

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Why dont you just ask the property manager who told you? Also, funny(ish) thing that your meth ordeal reminded me of: I had an apartment manager get all up in arms because I would smoke my hookah on my patio area and "it looks like something you smoke meth out of." Not quite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

ladyweapon posted:

Why dont you just ask the property manager who told you? Also, funny(ish) thing that your meth ordeal reminded me of: I had an apartment manager get all up in arms because I would smoke my hookah on my patio area and "it looks like something you smoke meth out of." Not quite.

It's a general email address for the office, so my husband is worried my landlady will see it and the property manager will get in trouble. It's also 100% email communication with the office (even during office hours they'll let the phone go to voice mail, and if you leave a message, they'll email their response), so I can't even call the office number to speak with her directly.