Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

GeorgeLedoux posted:

As I am able, I will be recording more and more of your terrific story and making it available to listen to.

I had a lazy smile on the entire time I was listening to this. I immediately booted up Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries and played some arena matches afterward. Bravo, both of you, and I'll be waiting for the rest of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Late votes:

Impact Point Zero MVP: Sgt. Fynn Weber - Griffin (Ferrosol)
Yantai Reservation MVP: SgtMaj. Anne Bellard - Firebee (Tiny)
OpFor MVP: that drat Cicada

Political Vote: Just say (something like) the word, and it's go time! [/Kanji] (B)

I knew the Jade Emperor would be something like that... Guess it was good that the Griffin quit the field there, then... And the Political Vote definitely will prove to be interesting, no matter who wins...

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Also late voting, I'll be jumping on what appears to be the bandwagon with

Impact Point Zero MVP: Ferrosol's Griffin
Yantai Reservation MVP: Tiny's Firebee
OpFor MVP: Cicada-o-jackassery

I'm really tempted to vote F just for the hilarity of it. I'm going to vote A and really, really hope they gently caress it up somehow.

Also PTN - last line of the political vote section for the Cronus, I think you meant that to say "external speakers boomed"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I'm really tempted to vote F just for the hilarity of it. I'm going to vote A and really, really hope they gently caress it up somehow.

It's the Capellan Confederation. They are virtually guaranteed to gently caress it up somehow.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's the Capellan Confederation. They are virtually guaranteed to gently caress it up somehow.

Justin Allard-Liao cannot fail. It's unpossible.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

See this is why so many of us have voted F(ail). With Evil Justin in charge things have been going too drat well for Liao! If PTN won't gently caress them up, it falls upon us the goons to gently caress things up for him!

Vote for random violence and complete F(uckery)! It's the Capellan Way!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Please don't forget Tormano Liao exists.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Vote for freedom. Vote for justice. Vote for Romano Liao.

F.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Honestly, the majority of what I know about Battletech comes from this thread. Who is this and why is it important?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
^^Max Liao's youngest. A badass guerrilla fighter and war hero who turned into Romano's worst nightmare when he founded a "Free Capella" movement to topple her and bring a more liberal, less crazy rule to his homeland. If Romano gets too out of control, I wouldn't put it past Justin Xiang to knock her over and replace her with Tormano. Or for Tormano to just drop in like Steven Segal and wipe out the viper's nest on Sian by himself.

PoptartsNinja posted:

:stare: I forgot about Tormano Liao.

Zeroisanumber fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jan 6, 2014

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

That's why you vote "A" for maximum hilarity when the manufactured incident blows up spectacularly (Ideally mushroom cloud sized spectacularly).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If you're looking for maximum hilarity, why would you ever pick the long-term strategy that might blow up into your typical international incident when you could do something outrageous like murder the leader of the Duchy of New Syrtis right now?

What sounds funnier, New Syrtis redeclaring war on the Confederation because they discover the Capellans were manufacturing events to ingratiate themselves with their former enemies - or all of a sudden their Duke turns up dead in the Confederation and Capellan palace intrigue explodes?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Zeroisanumber posted:

^^Max Liao's youngest. A badass guerrilla fighter and war hero who turned into Romano's worst nightmare when he founded a "Free Capella" movement to topple her and bring a more liberal, less crazy rule to his homeland. If Romano gets too out of control, I wouldn't put it past Justin Xiang to knock her over and replace her with Tormano. Or for Tormano to just drop in like Steven Segal and wipe out the viper's nest on Sian by himself.

I believe he's Duke of St. Ives in this timeline.

Much like Ian Davion is Primus of ComStar.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Merry Marauder posted:

Much like Ian Davion is Primus of ComStar.

Well, not Primus.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Haha, right, I forget they installed Tejh.

e: Precentor Martial/Master/Focht, so many titles for one man.

The Merry Marauder fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 7, 2014

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

That's why you vote "A" for maximum hilarity when the manufactured incident blows up spectacularly (Ideally mushroom cloud sized spectacularly).

That's why I did vote "A" for maximum hilarity when the manufactured incident blows up spectacularly (Ideally mushroom cloud sized spectacularly). :D

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Combat Theater Vote 14

“C’mon rookie,” the radio warbled, “You can sure as hell do better than that! If your old man were here right now, he could beat your score. And he’s dead! POWERDOWN!”

“Mao’s in rare form today,” Fynn said without glancing up from his monitor in the makeshift Mobile HQ the militia had made from an eighty-ton civilian cargo crawler. They even had radar, of a sort. The coverage was spotty at best—but it was just as well, the Taurians didn’t seem to have any aerospace support.

“Three seconds!” the radio crackled, “You’re getting faster—it’s a pity we all just got nuked by the Taurians because you were too slow cutting your engine power! Now we’re both as dead as your family and every mewling schoolgirl you’ve ever had a crush on! Power up, we’re running the damned course again—and this time, if you don’t score at least three hundred points you’ll be doing push-ups until I get tired!”

“Is it really necessary?” Dr. Chang’s accented voice was quiet. Exhausted, Fynn thought, but she didn’t show it.

A month of living like bandits was enough to take its toll, and while they’d struck a few more blows against the Taurians they simply couldn’t be everywhere—and anything the Taurians really wanted was defended far better than their six `Mechs could easily crack. The local farmers still provided them with food and the occasional blanket, but medical supplies were in short supply and, unfortunately, injuries weren’t.

“Yeah, doc,” Fynn replied. “It is. We need the kid’s `Mech, and since he won’t turn it over that means we need him—and right now, he’s a liability: his reaction times are bad, and he can’t shoot worth a drat. Fortunately, Mao’s the best drill instructor in the militia—”

“Two sixty-five?” Mao rampaged, “What, did you fall asleep? Or maybe you just think too damned much! You have three responsibilities as a Mechwarrior: Follow orders, kill the other guys, don’t fall on your rear end. You’re too slow for the first and second, and the third isn’t so much a golden rule as a ‘nice thing you try to do for yourself’ while doing one and two.”

“—but the quicker she breaks him down the quicker she can build him back up.” Fynn offered a half-hearted, out-of-place shrug. “He’s actually doing much better already.”

“Then why not just tell him that?”

“He’s a teenager,” Fynn laughed. “Praise him and he’ll get lazy. Make him hate you and he’ll perform just to spite you. Provided you don’t make him hate you too much.”

The lucky infantrymen died instantly as the azure whip of a PPC washed over their hastily dug-in trenches. The unlucky screamed and fell as their khaki trichloropolyester uniforms burst into flames and started a slow, painful chemical process permanently bonding the cheap, stain-resistant and otherwise quite durable synthetic material to significantly less-durable human skin. With a pounding roar, the still distant Niddhog’s autocannon roared as it filled the shattered defensive line with submunitions and shrapnel. Men armed with little more than rifles turned and ran.

A second Niddhog joined the first, silhouetted against the setting sun. Its cylindrical missile pod and smaller, dome-shaped cockpit gave the shadowy figure the appearance of a two-headed ogre. This resemblance—and that to the Warhammer—were so uncanny that the forces of the DCMS had taken to calling the ubiquitous Jade Falcon machine Kanabō, after the Oni’s spiked iron club. If they’d known anything of Japanese mythology, the warriors of Clan Jade Falcon may even have approved the brutal imagery.

“Star Colonel, they use their infantry to delay us while their BattleMech forces dig into the city. It will be hell to break in.”

“I know that, Ter,” Star Colonel Ramon Mattlov’s mind whirled as the dark-eyed Mechwarrior scanned the city approaches. Civillian vehicles sat along the numerous roadways, apparently abandoned and almost certainly concealing remote-controlled mines and vibrabombs. The approach was open and devoid of cover—Arkab was not a merciful world, and while her cities had grown along the edges of the fertile garden zones, most were surrounded by naught but desert and fortified walls. It was little wonder the Draconis Combine had never truly captured Arkab—and its defenders were as fierce as any Ramon Mattlov had ever faced.

Mattlov ascended the low breastwork and fired one of his A-pods as he strode over the hastily-dug fortification. The hail of ball bearings simply killed anyone too injured to take cover at the Summoner’s approach—and likewise encouraged any walking wounded still capable of holding a weapon to simply keep their heads down until the shooting stopped. He swiveled, assessing the city from the highest point he could manage. Then he turned away, his second-in-command falling in behind.

“Order our forces to withdraw to the dropships,” he barked in tones that would permit no argument.

Ter Roshak argued anyway. “Retreat? Now? The Khans will have our heads—not to mention our bloodnames!”

“Who says we are retreating? You should know better.” Mattlov smiled, “Those buildings are reinforced to withstand a haboob. The buildings will stop weapons-fire better than most bunkers, so that position is nearly unassailable from the ground. But we are Jade Falcons! We shall drop on their heads and take it from above!”

Combat Theater Vote 14:
14 Mar 3034

A) Schlangenjäger
Notice to All Enterprising Mercenaries:
The Lyran Government has posted a standing bounty on Clan materiel. A bonus of up to ten million c-bills will be added to all standing contracts in the Clan zone which recover appreciable Clan salvage. An additional bounty of up to one-hundred million c-bills will be awarded for each intact, undamaged, and fully-operation Clan `Mech recovered from the field.

B) Operation: Malvoisine
The biggest mobilization since the departure of the Star League Defense Force has begun: the combined might of the Federated Suns and Draconis Combine has assembled not to repel the latest wave of the invasion but for a scheme far grander in scope: to overrun the entire Jade Falcon occupation zone and drive whatever forces remain from the Inner Sphere entire.

C) Hastilude
Five of the best Mechwarriors of Duncan Marik’s Knights of the Inner Sphere stand ready to oppose the Clan advance through the Free Worlds League but, succeed or fail, Duncan can’t allow their passage and the Clans cannot allow their advance to falter. Failure could bring ruin to the League but, in victory, perhaps concessions could be earned…

D) Under Pressure
Down to only six effectives, the beleaguered forces of the Sirdar Militia must become the core of a guerilla army if they are to have any hope of repelling the Taurians. With Marshal Heck breathing down his neck, TDF Colonel Milton needs to score a decisive victory to free up forces for the next wave of the invasion. Or else.

A) Schlangenjäger (1 elite lance, mercenaries)
B) Operation: Malvoisine (1 company)
C) Hastilude (5 Knights of the Inner Sphere)
D) Under Pressure (2 lances)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 7, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
C. After that big scenario with a lot of involved players, I think we could use a smaller, more quick one.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
C. After that last mission, something nice and simple seems to be the order of the day.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well shucks. I have to vote for C.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

C it is.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
B because the Jade Falcons haven't been humiliated enough yet, gently caress those guys.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Keep the campaign going, D

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

A Look at the bright side kid, you get to keep all the money.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
C for chivalrous acts!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Delightful mission names for the first three. Cheers.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
C; let the Trial of NO YOU SHUT UP commence!

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

“Who says we are retreating? You should know better.” Mattlov smiled, “Those buildings are reinforced to withstand a haboob. The buildings will stop weapons-fire better than most bunkers, so that position is nearly unassailable from the ground. But we are Jade Falcons! We shall drop on their heads and take it from above!”

I wish we could vote for Operation: CAW CAW CAW.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

Keep the campaign going, D

Yeah, D it is. Why would Inner Spherists start becoming competent or intelligent about their foes now? D also looks like a new interesting mission, so that helps.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Thanatz posted:

I wish we could vote for Operation: CAW CAW CAW.

Now that you put it that way, so do I. Though, I'd love for something like that to pop up for my go at this six months a year two years from now.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

(Voting icons available here.)

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06
A) Schlangenjäger

A simple salvage run is in order after that slog.

Roger Dropship Command, I got the recon data salavage and one pissed off Atlas on my tail!

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013

jng2058 posted:

(Voting icons available here.)

I mimic this vote and I fully support the shiny buttons of buttonness.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
B for the chance to do what canon never did: Break the Turkeys.

e: Also, one way to know that this thread has run for a long time: I couldn't remember what mech a Niddhog was till I read the rest of the update, and I was the one to name the drat thing.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 7, 2014

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

A. If you ain't talking money then your talking don't matter.

I take it that the fact C is a mission against the Clans means that the Skye-Viper alliance has worked itself out?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

B. As much as I want to vote C because I am a FWL Partisan (no, you shut up), the prospect of seeing the Jade Falcons get their poo poo pushed in and seeing a full Company take the field is too great to resist. Because gently caress the Jade Falcons.

Professor Malice
Nov 16, 2011

Mercenary board near clan occupied space posted:

An additional bounty of up to one-hundred million c-bills will be awarded for each intact, undamaged, and fully-operation Clan `Mech recovered from the field.
I think it's time to blow this scene.
Get everybody and their stuff together.
OK, three, two, one let's jam.

voting A

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Ugh, all of those options sound amazing. I'd really love to see the continuation of last mission's plotline, but I don't think we've had the opportunity to play as the Draconis Suns before? Plus commanding a whole company sounds really cool...

Whatever! I vote B. Whatever the outcome though I really don't mind since all the choices are interesting.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C. The Free Worlds League versus the Clans, at the border of FWL space? We ain't in Kansas any more. Let's joust!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Jesus, this is one of the tougher votes I can remember in this thread. I kind of wish we could play through every scenario, but if it must be only one then it should be the one where the Jade Falcons get the smug grins punched off their faces.

B

• Locked thread