Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Benny, it would be fair to say that the advice you have gotten from this thread has had a net positive effect on your life. Please take more of it. Please engage with the people asking questions.

If you can't defend your grad school aspirations to a bunch of internet dorks, how do you expect to convince anyone who can actually make that happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Grad school isn't going to solve anything.
It's going to make things worse.
Maybe try a very short term technical school learning underwater welding or something.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheReverend posted:

underwater welding

Why are you trying to kill Benny?

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

Lolie posted:

Project management/project administration is a bad fit for anyone who has trouble making decisions, thinking on their feet or adapting to change.

This is a real question. What is a good job for someone with the above characteristics? I know that with any given person, there are going to be one million other variables.

The number one problem that I see in the undergrads with whom I work is a resistance to change and a sincere confusion when someone doesn't share their viewpoint (on anything). I would venture to say it's a huge problem among my peer group, too.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Uncle Salty posted:

This is a real question. What is a good job for someone with the above characteristics? I know that with any given person, there are going to be one million other variables.

The number one problem that I see in the undergrads with whom I work is a resistance to change and a sincere confusion when someone doesn't share their viewpoint (on anything). I would venture to say it's a huge problem among my peer group, too.

Benny would do better at his jobs if he didn't have a constant safety net of paid bills and comic books to crawl back into every time he failed. There is no real reason for him to succeed other than his parents being annoying. People have an amazing ability to fail just as much as they are allowed to. If he wasn't eating enough or living in a box, you can bet his motivation and performance would be completely different. For all his bitching about his parents, it's their sheltered environment that allows him to continue to be a loser.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Don't worry folks, I'm sure Benny will listen to your advice this time...

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Uncle Salty posted:

This is a real question. What is a good job for someone with the above characteristics?

Working at the DMV, or other such goverment-related jobs? It's a serious answer; I've worked for the government (public high school), and while even that's a lot more thinking-intensive than public-facing paper-pusher, it doesn't lend itself well to creative or adaptive thinking. There tend not to be any merit-based raises, and pushing yourself to do your best generally just leads to getting trod on if something goes wrong or a "well we've always done it this old way so we'll just keep doing it that way" if it goes well.

To be fair, Benny's also shown a lack of ability to do intensive tasks such as "follow simple directions", "don't gently caress over coworkers you need favors from", and "if you lie to your boss, make it a lie that doesn't make you sound worse than the thing you're covering up", so he's probably less capable of doing that sort of job than, say, a robot made out of k'nex. But it's probably the best he'll be able to do, so he might want to pick up those life skills at some point.

Of course, all of this is a moot point, because he'll be living with his parents until the day they either die or kick him out. :shrug:

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
I wonder how much all these comix, that prompted this thread in the first place, are worth. Get a job, pass probationary period, sell comix, get car, move the gently caress out.

Unless Benny's mom can help him get a job in the school district?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Ursine Asylum posted:

Working at the DMV, or other such goverment-related jobs? .... he's probably less capable of doing that sort of job than, say, a robot made out of k'nex. But it's probably the best he'll be able to do, so he might want to pick up those life skills at some point.

Yeah I think gov't work or something analogous to "building k'nex" like assembly line work or something technical (though not necessarily underwater welding that was just my backup plan if I failed college) is the way to go.

Less of retail. Less on importance of personal interaction.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Uncle Salty posted:

I wonder how much all these comix, that prompted this thread in the first place, are worth. Get a job, pass probationary period, sell comix, get car, move the gently caress out.

Second hand comics are worthless now unless they are literally like 50 years old. At no point should comics factor into his life plans (they will anyways).

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Uncle Salty posted:

As a qualified teacher, I seriously wish people would not put that potential burden on children. The world needs more DEDICATED teachers.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
^^ Well, Benny has said that he doesn't want to teach kids which kinda works out for all of us, I think. But there are other jobs in a school district: administrative, janitorial, and now I'm thinking of IASIP. Great.

But if your point is that all those jobs need to be focused on student outcomes, then maybe I withdraw my suggestion that Benny try to work at all in the school district.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Second hand comics are worthless now unless they are literally like 50 years old. At no point should comics factor into his life plans (they will anyways).
Ugh, yeah, that's what I thought.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

TheReverend posted:

Yeah I think gov't work or something analogous to "building k'nex" like assembly line work or something technical (though not necessarily underwater welding that was just my backup plan if I failed college) is the way to go.

Less of retail. Less on importance of personal interaction.

Oh, you misunderstand. I'm saying that the k'nex robot is probably more qualified for the position than he is.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
I don't know why this thread keeps going in circles when it's already been made clear from informed sources that Benny has an executive functioning disorder that literally makes him incapable of making good decisions.

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp

Sunshine89 posted:

I don't know why this thread keeps going in circles when it's already been made clear from informed sources that Benny has an executive functioning disorder that literally makes him incapable of making good decisions.

Benny's just an extremely lazy idiot. Some people here realize that, but others are stuck on diagnosing him with some disease that excuses the symptoms being a lazy idiot entails.

Chobdab
Aug 16, 2003

You don't know me James, you never did. I am not seeking forgiveness.

Impatient Skype JO posted:

Benny's just an extremely lazy idiot. Some people here realize that, but others are stuck on diagnosing him with some disease that excuses the symptoms being a lazy idiot entails.

Well it's good to know someone has the level of insight required to determine that he does not have a mental illness.

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

Chobdab posted:

Well it's good to know someone has the level of insight required to determine that he does not have a mental illness.

Funnily enough, my job has me diagnosing mental/physical illness in people and then helping them succeed in life. Anyone who works in the field will tell you, it's generally not ever a good idea to diagnose anyone of anything over the internet. But all that aside, what good is assuming he has a mental illness based on his posts here going to do for him? Especially when we know that he only started this thread to validate himself?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Funnily enough, my job has me diagnosing mental/physical illness in people and then helping them succeed in life. Anyone who works in the field will tell you, it's generally not ever a good idea to diagnose anyone of anything over the internet. But all that aside, what good is assuming he has a mental illness based on his posts here going to do for him? Especially when we know that he only started this thread to validate himself?

Because if he has a real problem, he can get help for it. "Develop your executive functioning abilities" is specific advice that can be followed. There is a road out.

"Stop being a lazy idiot" is pejorative, so likely to be rejected. It also isn't very specific. If you've been a lazy idiot your whole life, what specifically do you need to do to become normal? Cognitive behavioral therapy could probably still help, but people don't often seek out therapy or classes for laziness. Usually folks stop being chronically lazy when they are forced to grow up because unavoidable responsibilities are thrust upon them, like they have kids or have to take on disabled family members as dependants, or sometimes if they wind up being cut off from all ources of assistance and their choices are grow up or live under a bridge. Of course unavoidable responsibilities don't always work, and sometimes the lazy idiot decides to double down on avoiding life, leaving neglected kids, grandma with bedsores, or another drunken hobo living under a bridge waiting to die.

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

Angela Christine posted:

Because if he has a real problem, he can get help for it. "Develop your executive functioning abilities" is specific advice that can be followed. There is a road out.

Do any of you goons know what disordered executive functioning actually looks like in a person? And how is telling someone like Benny to "Develop [his] executive functioning abilities" any different from telling him to pay attention to what he's doing and put in some effort?

quote:

"Stop being a lazy idiot" is pejorative, so likely to be rejected. It also isn't very specific. If you've been a lazy idiot your whole life, what specifically do you need to do to become normal?

This thread is chock full of people telling him how to do just that. Some goon even went above and beyond to help him out, and he still wasted the opportunity. Benny's demonstrated time and again that he's just lazy and the only way to stop being lazy, besides the ways you mentioned, include getting genuinely introspective, realizing a desire to become a better person, and making changes to your life that address your shortcomings. Diagnosing Benny in-thread just helps him make more excuses as to why he's so incompetent; suggesting that Benny get therapy is as far as goons should be going with regards to this part of his personality.

quote:

Cognitive behavioral therapy could probably still help, but people don't often seek out therapy or classes for laziness.

CBT is probably the best thing for Benny, in my opinion.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I should've made this clear earlier but I stopped buying comics months ago and I haven't bought a single one since. I'd still like to get the opinion of my academic advisor. And I'm going to say this again: graduate school was a long-term goal for me. I have another job interview tomorrow. Hopefully this'll be the one.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 7, 2014

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
What's the job interview for?

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

graduate school was a long-term goal for me.

Then maybe you should have kept this goal in mind before you left undergrad with a 3.00 GPA. That may sound harsh, but it's the truth.

Also, have you thought about how you're going to respond when the graduate schools see this empty space in your resume after you finished undergrad, or worse, when they see a frightening number of job positions?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Aqua Bear posted:

Shopping Cart Mishandler, he's finally playing to the strengths of his resume.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Shopping Cart Mishandler, he's finally playing to the strengths of his resume.

A freelance position, where the Target across the street from the Walmart contracts you to go slam carts into their competitor's customer's cars, and vice versa. Retail can be a cutthroat business.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Do any of you goons know what disordered executive functioning actually looks like in a person? And how is telling someone like Benny to "Develop [his] executive functioning abilities" any different from telling him to pay attention to what he's doing and put in some effort?

This thread is chock full of people telling him how to do just that. Some goon even went above and beyond to help him out, and he still wasted the opportunity. Benny's demonstrated time and again that he's just lazy and the only way to stop being lazy, besides the ways you mentioned, include getting genuinely introspective, realizing a desire to become a better person, and making changes to your life that address your shortcomings. Diagnosing Benny in-thread just helps him make more excuses as to why he's so incompetent; suggesting that Benny get therapy is as far as goons should be going with regards to this part of his personality.

CBT is probably the best thing for Benny, in my opinion.

50 some odd pages ago, I was telling him to organize all of his belongings, making sure every object had a home and there were specific places to keep everyday essentials, where they can't possibly go astray. For me, it's wallet, keys, phone, work badge. I have a little wooden box on my nightstand I toss it all in, before falling asleep.

His reply: "I cleaned my room."

I also told him to establish a sense of schedule. He doesn't even have to stick to a schedule, as long as he's aware of when he chooses not to follow a certain plan. Plan your day the night before, then as you go about the planned day, make notes on how much time the task actually took vs how much time you assumed it would take. If you can't get to something, make note and add to tomorrow's schedule. Do your best to get a grasp on how you spend your time, without even scrutinizing yourself over wasted time. Don't even set a goal to waste less time. Just be aware of how much time you waste.

His reply: "I woke up, had some breakfast, got dressed, went to my school's library to make copies of my resume, then attended a career fair and handed out resumes. Now I'm here, writing this post."

And every single post, including this one, I've told him find an organized therapist who can confidently tell you they've assisted patients in improving their executive functioning abilities. Tell the therapist you feel as though there's a piece of the puzzle missing and you need to find out what that piece is and where it fits.

There's a brain in there somewhere. I can tell, Benny is accepting of the advice/critique, but it's all coming at him at once and he lacks the critical thinking ability to pick out which to follow, when to follow it, when to try the other advice, etc. It's like the end of a press conference when the speaker asks "any questions?" the entire room erupts and the speaker just picks a few at random.

Benny's short term goal should be Attempt to establish order and routine. Find a therapist and tell them how you've attempted to establish order and routine in your chaotic life. The therapist will then digest your ideas and provide you with feedback which you can choose to follow/ignore.

Long term establish executive functioning skills to a point in which you feel confident in your decision making abilities.

cname fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 7, 2014

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

4th Asclepiadean posted:

Then maybe you should have kept this goal in mind before you left undergrad with a 3.00 GPA. That may sound harsh, but it's the truth.

Edit: Nevermind.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Grad school in the humanities is not for the weak.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Grad school in the humanities is not for the weak.

Grad school in general isn't for the weak. I was in a Spanish language/lit program and people had nervous breakdowns. It's a pressure cooker, and you need to loving LOVE whatever your subject is. If you go into grad school with a lackadaisical attitude, you won't last.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

Morby posted:

Grad school in general isn't for the weak. I was in a Spanish language/lit program and people had nervous breakdowns. It's a pressure cooker, and you need to loving LOVE whatever your subject is. If you go into grad school with a lackadaisical attitude, you won't last.

Possibly the worst, the absolute worst, are the cases where the schools guarantee continued funding for only the select best of their currently enrolled graduate students.
That's when grad school goes from "punishingly difficult" to "the loving jungle."

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

4th Asclepiadean posted:

Possibly the worst, the absolute worst, are the cases where the schools guarantee continued funding for only the select best of their currently enrolled graduate students.
That's when grad school goes from "punishingly difficult" to "the loving jungle."

I had full funding until the economy tanked. It was awesome!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Aqua Bear posted:

Sandwich place. Tomorrow I'm going to the Employment Resource Office and filling out a packet. Thursday I'm going back to Cal Poly for career and academic counseling.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
How are your folks, Benny?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

Sandwich place. Tomorrow I'm going to the Employment Resource Office and filling out a packet. Thursday I'm going back to Cal Poly for career and academic counseling.

How did the interview go?

Benny, I think you should read cname's latest post. I've been following this thread from the beginning and there's nothing else to really say. Please read the post he or she made. I don't want to quote it because it's long. It's long, but it's good.

Edit: Actually, I guess it doesn't matter. You've probably read every post in this thread. Someone else pointed out that there is little chance of you making any appreciable progress towards improving your life while you're living at home without any consequences and I have to agree. I hate to be mean, but that seems to be the case.

Please don't stop updating, though. I really love this thread.

Greg Legg fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 8, 2014

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

Remember, the filling always goes between the bread. Always!

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Benny, I honestly am curious as to why you want to go to graduate school. You'll have to write a personal statement or statement of purpose as part of graduate school applications, and I'm not sure how much thought you've actually put into what could go into that. "Being a professor" isn't a good answer, either, though wanting to eventually teach is. What will you study? What will you research? You don't need extremely specific answers for thost, but if you're thinking about graduate school, you need to figure that kind of thing out.

Of course, I really don't think you'd be competitive in any way and I doubt you could get into much of anywhere, but if you're going to talk to an academic advisor, you need more to talk about than "so graduate school, y/n?"

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

Remember, the filling always goes between the bread. Always!

Don't tell him that or he'll talk back to a customer when they want an open-faced sandwich and get fired again.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Benny, I honestly am curious as to why you want to go to graduate school. You'll have to write a personal statement or statement of purpose as part of graduate school applications, and I'm not sure how much thought you've actually put into what could go into that. "Being a professor" isn't a good answer, either, though wanting to eventually teach is. What will you study? What will you research? You don't need extremely specific answers for thost, but if you're thinking about graduate school, you need to figure that kind of thing out.

Of course, I really don't think you'd be competitive in any way and I doubt you could get into much of anywhere, but if you're going to talk to an academic advisor, you need more to talk about than "so graduate school, y/n?"

FYI benny really doesn't want to go to grad school.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
You should start a shopping cart demolition derby. It could draw a huge crowd in the south, and you'd win gold every time.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I spent like 6 hours over the course of the past two days reading this thread and I feel cheated. Going by one of the posts on page 81 I was under the assumption this was going to be a tale of redemption, with genuine struggle. I thought the world was really going to be against Benny, even though he'd try to fight it. The impression I got by everyone saying "It's not just about comics anymore, you missed so much!" was that Benny had actually done a lot of good.

Instead I got this existentially frightening look into what the world would be like if you were secretly mentally handicapped but everyone in your life tried to pretend you weren't. This thread is like that girl from the Truman Show who tries to get Benny in on the conspiracy but he's just too delusional to read the goddamned signs.

Or, he's just longconning us all. Which isn't actually all that unlikely -- Some rich nerd gets bored on somethingawful dot com and sets up a single aim account, some bad writing, and plays with every single e/n trope known to man.

We have people who can corroborate his story but, then again, it's not that hard to set up an aim account and talk to people. It's definitely not hard to impersonate a permavirgoon with confidence issues and poor writing skills.

Every single job Benny has mentioned in this thread has either been a chain that couldn't be corroborated or a ridiculously simple, web-searchable company tied to the area he claims is his home. That screams "Look at the first result that comes up when I type Chino into Monster!". It also means its easy for us to find the same positions and believe him. This specifically stood out to me when he mentioned Johnson -- He didn't mention a single detail outside of what was very, very specifically mentioned in that scam report that was posted. He literally plagiarized a scam report for the sake of leaving a paper trail. I'm not saying that Benny isn't a crazy internet sperg, just saying that he might not be the internet sperg we think he is.

Benny also has never provided any confirmation or corroboration that would confirm "Benny" himself. He won't post pictures of comics, because he doesn't have any. He won't post a blacked out pay stub because he doesn't have one. He could find one on google, but that would leave too much of a trail for reverse image searching. That's why all of his stories are corroborated only by really circumstantial evidence.

Also, his diction and syntax changes entirely post page 67. It was really jarring. I'm a Japanese major, not an English major, but I have studied linguistics and English enough to recognize when someone loses grasp of voice.

Also, he obviously has had tons of times where his story hasn't added up. First he worked for a day at the restaurant, but then it was a week. Months at the campaign, then just barely 6 weeks. That could just be really lovely lying though. He's also had moments where poo poo he says just doesn't make any sense -- Like stuff about his mom frequently scheduling over work days but then a few pages later saying 'they'll work around my work schedule." which is just plain backwards going on his own testimony.

My point is this is either legitimately the most insane person living in delusion ever to post on these forums or it's a ridiculous fantasy with an Ulillillia-level puppetmaster. Either way, OP has issues and everyone in this thread is a goddamned saint for putting up with him this long.

I'm rooting for you either way Benny. You're a cartoon character trying to make it in the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

please read more at bennytruth.org . MODS KNEW

• Locked thread