Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Guitarchitect posted:

Except for the fact that it leaves like 5 grams of coffee in with the burrs, and I have to use a brush to get everything out of it every time I use it. It's a gigantic pain in the rear end. I'm only grinding as much as I need (29 grams), so I have been putting extra beans in to make up for whatever I can't get out of it with the brush.

This is my one complaint with the infinity, and it's the reason I just pulled the trigger on a Baratza Virtuoso. That, and I've been annoyed with the problem you're describing for the last 6 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Guitarchitect posted:

I recently upgraded from my cuisinart Static+dust generating coffee grinder to a Capresso Infinity (the 565 - Best Buy had a sale for $99, down from $179).

It's fantastic!

Except for the fact that it leaves like 5 grams of coffee in with the burrs, and I have to use a brush to get everything out of it every time I use it. It's a gigantic pain in the rear end. I'm only grinding as much as I need (29 grams), so I have been putting extra beans in to make up for whatever I can't get out of it with the brush.

So - does anyone have one of these, with any insight on how to clear the burr chamber a bit easier? Tapping it and slapping it hasn't worked. Or, can you recommend a quality conical burr grinder that doesn't have this issue? I'm really just doing french press and soon, pourover grinds. So I don't need anything for espresso... yet.

When I had mine I used to just rock it a bit left to right and give it a few taps and that cleared things out. Also, FYI, the Infinity's normal price is usually between $90-100. I've never seen it sell for $179 anywhere.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I know how to make really good coffee (used to have a digital scale, chemex, french press, induction boiler, capresso grinder etc)

But right now I have access to a Cuisinart single serve coffee maker, reusable coffee pods, blade grinder, and that's it.

Don't laugh, but I have a whole system down for making a somewhat drinkable cup (15 second grind, two coffee measures of ground beans slightly tamped, 8 oz setting etc.)

I was wondering if anyone else here had ever set out to be the Macgyver of mediocre coffee brewing methods and had any insights?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

I've been loving around with the Chemex that I bought for my wife for Christmas and finally got what I would call a "really good" batch of coffee out of it. Basic recipe I've been following: 44g, ~120g bloom for 45 seconds, 700g total pour, aim to finish the pour at 3:30-4:00, toss the filter and grounds once drips have slowed to every second or so. First batch I did, I had my Virtuoso set to 18. It was drinkable, but not great. Second batch, 20. Still too bitter, in my opinion. Same with 25. My wife's review of that batch was "it's pretty good, maybe a little too bitter but still very drinkable". I don't want "very drinkable" coffee, I want to blow her tits off. So this morning I went to 28 on the grinder, and now I am in the ballpark. Result is a fairly stout cup of coffee with no real bitterness, allowing the other flavors to come through. Admittedly, with these Starbucks beans, there are not a whole lot of other flavors that I'm picking up, but it's been by far the best batch I've gotten out of the Chemex. Most importantly, her review was "really good, much better than yesterday's."

Question: how coarse are you typically grinding for Chemex? My draw-down still finishes fairly late, even with a grind this coarse - somewhere around the 6:15 mark (finished pour at 4:00 exactly), I was still getting two drips/second, so I called it there and threw the filter & grounds. I'll try a batch in a day or two up at 30 just to see where we're at, but I am a bit concerned about under-extracting.

My Intelligentsia order is due to arrive tomorrow. Like a kid on Christmas eve, this guy.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I know how to make really good coffee (used to have a digital scale, chemex, french press, induction boiler, capresso grinder etc)

But right now I have access to a Cuisinart single serve coffee maker, reusable coffee pods, blade grinder, and that's it.

Don't laugh, but I have a whole system down for making a somewhat drinkable cup (15 second grind, two coffee measures of ground beans slightly tamped, 8 oz setting etc.)

I was wondering if anyone else here had ever set out to be the Macgyver of mediocre coffee brewing methods and had any insights?

I tried and tried to use a family member's Keurig with a filter cup and just couldn't get anything decent out of it, despite using fresh roasted and ground coffee. The closest I got was filling the filter as full as possible and using the smallest serving setting. Everything was coming out over extracted and bitter. I finally gave up and just used my french press the whole time I was staying with them.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
FINALLY roasted coffee last night for the first time in 7 months. Made the entire apartment smell like roasted coffee. Roomate approved.

Will be roasting more beans again soon :woop:

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

An old coworker of mine contacts me about once a year to offer me a ground floor spot on his newest MLM scam. He's sold drink mixes and multivitamins so far. Today he linked me this:

http://www.siselkaffe.com/

and without knowing anything about coffee, claims this is the best there is. I mentioned that nobody wants pre-ground beans and he didn't have much of an answer. Also doesn't know when they were roasted.

bonus content: He actually emailed his "sponsor" regarding my complaints and this was the response, copy and pasted:

quote:

Hmmm? Maybe just pursue the millions and millions of other people that would simply love the great taste, appreciate the health benefits and like the affordable price.

Ok, and as far as the beans being ground they have to be for the healthy additives plus how are beans are processed they keep their flavor. The gourmet beans are roasted at a higher temp and they do lose their flavor, but they gave already lost a lot of their healthy benefits. Ask him to try a sample before he shuts it down

Robawesome fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 6, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

becoming posted:

I've been loving around with the Chemex that I bought for my wife for Christmas and finally got what I would call a "really good" batch of coffee out of it. Basic recipe I've been following: 44g, ~120g bloom for 45 seconds, 700g total pour, aim to finish the pour at 3:30-4:00, toss the filter and grounds once drips have slowed to every second or so. First batch I did, I had my Virtuoso set to 18. It was drinkable, but not great. Second batch, 20. Still too bitter, in my opinion. Same with 25. My wife's review of that batch was "it's pretty good, maybe a little too bitter but still very drinkable". I don't want "very drinkable" coffee, I want to blow her tits off. So this morning I went to 28 on the grinder, and now I am in the ballpark. Result is a fairly stout cup of coffee with no real bitterness, allowing the other flavors to come through. Admittedly, with these Starbucks beans, there are not a whole lot of other flavors that I'm picking up, but it's been by far the best batch I've gotten out of the Chemex. Most importantly, her review was "really good, much better than yesterday's."

Question: how coarse are you typically grinding for Chemex? My draw-down still finishes fairly late, even with a grind this coarse - somewhere around the 6:15 mark (finished pour at 4:00 exactly), I was still getting two drips/second, so I called it there and threw the filter & grounds. I'll try a batch in a day or two up at 30 just to see where we're at, but I am a bit concerned about under-extracting.

My Intelligentsia order is due to arrive tomorrow. Like a kid on Christmas eve, this guy.

Since you already have a good brewer and grinder it sounds like you're good to go when you get the better beans. IMO it's ideal for the total brew time to be 4 minutes, and 6:15 sounds too long. But the chemex filters gives you a lot of room to play with and it's really hard to mess it up. As long as you like how it tastes that's all that matters. I use the same ratio as you but I grind it a little coarser, much closer to French Press.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

Robawesome posted:

An old coworker of mine contacts me about once a year to offer me a ground floor spot on his newest MLM scam. He's sold drink mixes and multivitamins so far. Today he linked me this:

and without knowing anything about coffee, claims this is the best there is. I mentioned that nobody wants pre-ground beans and he didn't have much of an answer. Also doesn't know when they were roasted.

bonus content: He actually emailed his "sponsor" regarding my complaints and this was the response, copy and pasted:

Like gently caress I want mushrooms in my coffee. :suicide:

Comedy edit:

Who gets mushroom notes from this fine blend? Huh? Anyone? :haw:

Who Dat fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 6, 2014

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Robawesome posted:

This is some comedy gold right here. I also like how they put 'healthy' in quotes all over the website so that the FDA doesn't come after them.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

o muerte posted:

This is some comedy gold right here. I also like how they put 'healthy' in quotes all over the website so that the FDA doesn't come after them.

The amount of grammatical errors is just astounding. I'm no grammar nazi, but how could anyone read that site and legitimately think "Yes, this seems reputable and worthwhile"?

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

becoming posted:

I've been loving around with the Chemex that I bought for my wife for Christmas

The Intelligenstia beans are going to rock your world. Because Starbucks coffee is roasted so dark, the oils and fines are probably clogging your filter, leading to the slow drawdown and your need to use a really coarse grind.

When the Intelligentisa arrives, a good starting point is a 3:30 brew with your same ratio and the Virtuoso set to 22ish. Pour ~100g water, let it bloom until ~45 seconds or until it stops bubbling, then pour the rest and end between 3:00-3:30. The drawdown should take between 15-45 seconds after that.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Gravity, I'd like to recommend a change to the grinder section of the OP (which is great btw).

quote:

If you are looking for a grinder for pour over or press pot methods, a Baratza Maestro (refurb for $70, check the Baratza site often), Virtuoso (refurb for $143) or Capresso Infinity ($90) is usually a good choice. If you want an espresso capable grinder, buy the absolute best you can afford. Many people like the Baratza Vario ($400) and the Rancilio Rocky ($350).

After my experience with the vario, I am going to claim here that you should ONLY consider the vario or rocky if you are going to do espresso. I think an espresso capable grinder while still achieving press pot/pourover does not exist. The espresso-geared ceramic burrs in the vario are barely acceptable for press pot or pourover methods, in my experience. The burrs simply generate too much fines on a coarse setting, which I could not make work with a chemex at all (I suspect clogging the filter), and lead to a bitterness in french press.

To those that already own a vario and want to use it for press pot, I highly suggest these metal burrs that baratza sells (made by ditting): http://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=8170

You can read more about these burrs in this thread: http://www.home-barista.com/brewing/baratzas-new-vario-burrs-for-non-espresso-brew-only-t21098.html

I installed the steel burrs last night and this mornings french press was completely fixed. These burrs are of course completely incompatible with espresso grinds. The nerds say that with the metal burrs the vario is comparable to the preciso for coarse grinds. Anyway, I think the harsh reality is that press/pourover require their own grinder. I know grinderchat is pretty boring but I mainly wanted to post this so that others don't fall in the trap that I did. You think you're upgrading or getting something better but it's in fact worse for what you would use it for. I always had eventually I'll get a ballin' espresso machine in the back of my mind but I think I should have just gotten a preciso.

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 7, 2014

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

I think this is actually great discussion and not at all boring. I bought my wife the Virtuoso for her birthday and after falling down the rabbit hole myself, I have been wondering whether I should have stepped up to the Vario. Yesterday I started reading more about it and thought "man, this really seems more geared toward espresso". I'm glad that it's been confirmed by an actual person. That's really good to know.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

For what it's worth, I'm using a preciso now for press, chemex, V60 and espresso (cremina) depending on what mood I'm in. It generates some noticeable fines for press, but seems quite capable for the others in the tiny volumes I go through for myself. The press fines are bearable, and I don't relish the idea of buying a separate grinder for a method I barely use anymore.

I do like to try each coffee I get with each method just for the hell of it, but once I've done that I'll try to leave it locked down in the right range for whatever method I settle on. It may be confirmation bias, but I feel that from my experience so far, there's more likely to be some drift in the consistency of the grind the more I make large shifts between coarse, fine, etc.

Anyway, I'm happy with it for now.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 7, 2014

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Needed to roast today, but a bit cold, so to avoid the Err1 on the Behmor...measures had to be taken.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I'm not sure if I'm reading that right... do you think someone wanting to do espresso and coarse grinds should get a Preciso or two grinders?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
My Breville Smart Ginder has a similar issue in that it's way more geared toward espresso. I grind at like six steps off the finest setting for my espresso and I have to use the coarsest setting for french press and I still think it's bordering on too small. I dial back my brew time a bit when I do french press because of it. I still love the grinder though.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I'm not sure if I'm reading that right... do you think someone wanting to do espresso and coarse grinds should get a Preciso or two grinders?

I interpreted it as "buy one grinder for press/pour-over and another for espresso", since he wrote "I think an espresso capable grinder while still achieving press pot/pourover does not exist." That having been said, if you're willing to swap out the burrs every time you grind, I'll bet the Vario is pretty ace.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Even Baratza's new grinder which is a beast, comes in two styles.

Baratza Forte-AP (All Purpose - but includes portafilter holder and ceramic burrs)
https://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=1085

Baratza Forte-BG (Brew Grinder - steel burrs)
https://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=1086

It probably does a slightly better job, but it should at $1000 :)

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Has anybody tried modifying a toaster oven with a fan and drum+motor in order to convert it into a roaster? I've never seen one in person but from looking at pictures, the Behmor looks like it's just a toaster oven with some extra stuff and temperature programs. I'm wondering if I'm on to something here or if I'm definitely going to kill myself.

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

Any Marylanders have any experience with Mad City Coffee?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Coava beer collaboration, for you lucky people living in WA/ID/OR: http://baristamagazine.com/blog/?p=10734

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
Does anyone know where I can locate a steam wand from a Starbucks Barista? I have a Saeco Via Venizia and I want to replace the panarello wand with a normal one. I can't find one anywhere, not even on ebay.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Seattle coffee gear has been great for me in the past, you can probably contact them for repair/replacement parts.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So... I should just get a Capresso Infinity for now for coffee, and then later when I want to do espresso add an espresso grinder? Sound about right?

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

rockcity posted:

When I had mine I used to just rock it a bit left to right and give it a few taps and that cleared things out. Also, FYI, the Infinity's normal price is usually between $90-100. I've never seen it sell for $179 anywhere.

It's the die-cast zinc model (565, not 560), and I live in Canada.

Amazon US - the 560, yes, is typically $90 ($110-$120 in canada). So getting the 565 for $90 was worth jumping on!

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

becoming posted:

I think this is actually great discussion and not at all boring. I bought my wife the Virtuoso for her birthday and after falling down the rabbit hole myself, I have been wondering whether I should have stepped up to the Vario. Yesterday I started reading more about it and thought "man, this really seems more geared toward espresso". I'm glad that it's been confirmed by an actual person. That's really good to know.

I thought I'd get into espresso, but the mypressi is just a pain in the rear end to fumble with. If I could go back in time, I'd get the Virtuoso over the Vario. It's not bad by any means, but I've been eyeing the steel burrs for a while. It's hard to justify the cost, but gently caress it, we're talking about coffee.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.
The Williams-Sonoma in a nearby mall is going out of business and is selling everything in store at a 40% discount. I used this opportunity to buy new coffee stuff. I got both of these for $320 total.

I didn't realize in store, but when I got home I noticed the Moccamaster was freaking enormous. I think it's some kind of Williams-Sonoma exclusive (Moccamaster Grand). They said it was $299 before the discount, but it's listed at $369 on the website so I dunno what happened. Still freaking happy to have it.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

Steve Yun posted:

So... I should just get a Capresso Infinity for now for coffee, and then later when I want to do espresso add an espresso grinder? Sound about right?

Or... you could use said Infinity to grind for espresso. It is doable. I did it for over a year.

Or... you could get a Baratza Encore for a bit more than the Infinity and use it to grind for whatever.

I own two Infinities and an Encore. The two Infinities are dedicated to the wife's beans and whatever secondary coffee we have going at the house at the time (decaf, second coffee type, whatever). The Encore is dedicated to the espresso machine mainly because I calibrated it to its finest setting range to give me the flexibility of dealing with various bean behaviors.

All that being said, I can run the Encore out to its most coarse setting and grind for press just fine, even with its current calibration, then run it down to the 0-to-5 tick range for whatever espresso brewing.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
I just got my Capresso Infinity for my birthday and made my first cup of coffee with it and the CCD. It's awesome. :D

I love my Hario Skerton but I was pretty tired of manually grinding my beans ad infinitum.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

becoming posted:

Make sure the 3 ply portion of the filter is facing the spout. The extra stability ensures that airflow gets through and increases the drip rate. If you leave the single ply facing the spout the spout will be sealed resulting in a vacuum which could be causing your slow drip.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

pageerror404 posted:

The Williams-Sonoma in a nearby mall is going out of business and is selling everything in store at a 40% discount. I used this opportunity to buy new coffee stuff. I got both of these for $320 total.

I didn't realize in store, but when I got home I noticed the Moccamaster was freaking enormous. I think it's some kind of Williams-Sonoma exclusive (Moccamaster Grand). They said it was $299 before the discount, but it's listed at $369 on the website so I dunno what happened. Still freaking happy to have it.

I found that exact model Technivorm at a thrift shop for $60 not too long ago. Works great, was only missing the brew-through lid for the carafe (which can apparently be acquired individually if I cared enough).

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

I got three bags from Intelligentsia - Organic Kurimi, Ruvumbu Rwanda, and Anjilanaka. After smelling all three bags, I decided to open the Kurimi first, because it smelled like sex. Made a batch in the Clever this morning, drank it... and immediately made another batch. This is my first premium coffee and to say that it redefined for me what coffee could be might be an understatement. Mind blowing.

Bobx66 posted:

Make sure the 3 ply portion of the filter is facing the spout. The extra stability ensures that airflow gets through and increases the drip rate. If you leave the single ply facing the spout the spout will be sealed resulting in a vacuum which could be causing your slow drip.

I watched about a dozen how-to-Chemex videos before I first brewed with it, so this is definitely not the issue I'm having. Three-ply section always is centered over the spout. This is a good tip for folks just cracking open their Chemex, though - make sure the three-ply side covers the spout, to keep the filter from collapsing into it.

I suspect grahm is right, and it's just the Starbucks beans. I'll try it tomorrow with the Intelligentsia beans and see how it goes.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

becoming posted:

I got three bags from Intelligentsia - Organic Kurimi, Ruvumbu Rwanda, and Anjilanaka. After smelling all three bags, I decided to open the Kurimi first, because it smelled like sex. Made a batch in the Clever this morning, drank it... and immediately made another batch. This is my first premium coffee and to say that it redefined for me what coffee could be might be an understatement.

This happened to me yesterday. I brewed some Ethiopian Sidamo Chelfit in my brand new lightly used Bonavita. loving amazing. After a little creamer and sweetener I was drinking blueberry muffins. My kitchen smelled like blueberries.

I'm not even a fan of blueberries, but it was the experience of having coffee change your mind about what coffee is that was cool.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
I'm considering ordering roasted beans on Amazon. Looking at Intelligentsia it seems like they vacuum pack their beans but the roast date is typically 2 months prior to the ship date. Some guy keeps commenting that the vacuum pack saves them from aging or degrading. I can get freshly roasted beans nearby, just not Intelligentsia, should I bother ordering?

How fast was the shipping from Intelligentsia directly?

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Bobx66 posted:

I'm considering ordering roasted beans on Amazon. Looking at Intelligentsia it seems like they vacuum pack their beans but the roast date is typically 2 months prior to the ship date. Some guy keeps commenting that the vacuum pack saves them from aging or degrading. I can get freshly roasted beans nearby, just not Intelligentsia, should I bother ordering?

If you want Intelligentsia specifically, why not just order direct? According to this page, the coffee they ship is roasted on the same day it's shipped to you. If you're in the US they should get to you right around when they're good to start drinking. Also they seem to use UPS ground as their standard shipping.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Bobx66 posted:

My coffee was roasted on January 2 and showed up on January 7. That includes a weather delay which backed off delivery by a day, and a weekend, when UPS did jack and poo poo, in that order. Depending on where you live, I would expect you receive your coffee 2-3 days after it's roasted.

Edit - I should note that I ordered directly from Intelligentsia. They had a free shipping deal over the holidays. I ordered on December 31, and I remember they had a warning that my order wouldn't be roasted/shipped for a few days due to the new year.

Edit again - checking my tracking, it was prepared for shipment in Chicago on January 2, UPS appears to have actually received it in January 3 at 10 PM (Friday), it got stuck in Maumee, OH for three days due to weather (January 4-6), then they got it to me in Maryland on January 7 at 11 AM.

becoming fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 8, 2014

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
I'd try to use up all my coffee by a week or two after the roast date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Coava has a free shipping offer that's sent after you register for the site. GL figuring out how to register for the site before ordering though, I couldn't get that to work.

fake edit: use code singleorigin