Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

TL posted:

With regards to this under the ring as being in the ring business, am I losing my mind, or did someone win a cage match once by going through the mat rather than through the door or over the top?

Yes, JBL did against Big Show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

Ghostpilot posted:

Oh, there was one he had with Ted DiBiase in Japan that DiBiase's still :argh: over.

I don't think I've heard about this one. What's the story here?

Is there anyone in wrestling that actually liked Warrior?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Halloween Jack posted:

On technical grounds, it's probably the Tombstone Piledriver, but you'd be safer letting the Undertaker give you a Tombstone than you would letting a lot of people give you an armdrag.

I'd take a tombstone from 'Taker or a piledriver from Lawler any day over coming within fifteen feet of Lesnar. :D

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd take a tombstone from 'Taker or a piledriver from Lawler any day over coming within fifteen feet of Lesnar. :D

Are you crazy?! Lawler broke Andy Kaufman's neck with the piledriver!!!

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Can anyone name the people that Mean Gene has referred to as his "close, personal, longtime friends"?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Jake Soo posted:

Can anyone name the people that Mean Gene has referred to as his "close, personal, longtime friends"?

Regis Philbin and Bob Uecker spring to mind.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

A Dapper Man posted:

I'm actually curious if Sting likes him.

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM

WeaponX posted:

What's the consensus on MTV's Lucha Libre USA: Masked Warriors? Was there any quality wrestling? Why did it only last two "seasons"?

I saw most of the first season - the best part of it had to be RJ Brewer who played a pretty good anti-immigrant heel. The wrestling itself was nothing spectacular, but passable. I assumed it only lasted 2 seasons because it was only shown on like MTV2 at the worse possible hours.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

To be fair, even some of the -really popular- MTV stuff only lasts a couple seasons. The original Jackass is only 22 episodes over 3 seasons.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jake Soo posted:

Pat Patterson is one, but that's probably true.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

A Dapper Man posted:

I don't think I've heard about this one. What's the story here?

He goes into why he hates Warrior here, but he talks about that particular match at the 2:24 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzU9WT7s5qI

As for people who liked Warrior, Bad News Brown said that he helped him out at the time and thought he was okay (though I think there was some embellishing by Bad News in that story). Aside from him...uh. I seem to recall there being someone else, but I honestly can't remember who that was.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

To be fair, even some of the -really popular- MTV stuff only lasts a couple seasons. The original Jackass is only 22 episodes over 3 seasons.

Jesus Christ I wiki'd Jackass and the Jackass movies have made $439 million dollars worldwide on a total budget of $36.5 million. :stare:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Jesus Christ I wiki'd Jackass and the Jackass movies have made $439 million dollars worldwide on a total budget of $36.5 million. :stare:

Yeah, those guys hit loving gold. License to print money.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

jeffersonlives posted:

Yes, JBL did against Big Show.

Not just that, it was a barbed wire cage match, where the whole point of it was that you couldn't escape. Escaping the cage wasn't even a promoted stipulation if I remember right. So having Big Show chokeslam JBL through the ring and then have JBL crawl to the outside from under the ring was one of the most absolute bullshit finishes they had ever done. Worse that it was a title match, so JBL also retained by doing this.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

sticklefifer posted:

Not just that, it was a barbed wire cage match, where the whole point of it was that you couldn't escape. Escaping the cage wasn't even a promoted stipulation if I remember right. So having Big Show chokeslam JBL through the ring and then have JBL crawl to the outside from under the ring was one of the most absolute bullshit finishes they had ever done. Worse that it was a title match, so JBL also retained by doing this.
Gotta love match technicalities that are brought up in one feud and never mentioned again. According to the precedent set by corporate Rock, you can retain your title by passing out in a submission hold (since you don't tap out or verbally submit).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Minidust posted:

Gotta love match technicalities that are brought up in one feud and never mentioned again. According to the precedent set by corporate Rock, you can retain your title by passing out in a submission hold (since you don't tap out or verbally submit).

But if your manager throws in the towel, you lose the title. :eng101:

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Do WWE matches still technically have time limits? I know that obviously there's no chance that it would ever actually matter, but are they even still implied to exist, or in kayfabe is it just understood that matches can hypothetically go on all day?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Castomira posted:

Do WWE matches still technically have time limits? I know that obviously there's no chance that it would ever actually matter, but are they even still implied to exist, or in kayfabe is it just understood that matches can hypothetically go on all day?

They got rid of time limits to spite GLF

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Castomira posted:

They only have time limits when it's important that they have time limits.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Castomira posted:

If they do have time limits, Finkel/Chimel/Roberts would actually say so, but it's rare they're used anymore.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
There was a period, in the late-'90s I think, where they would regularly announce matches as being scheduled "for TV time remaining" or something like that. It really stuck out in my mind, because it was the only instance of WWF mentioning time limits where they didn't end up playing a direct role in the finish of the matches.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Karmine posted:

Halloween Havoc 1998. A match so good that it overpowered the scheduled main event an ended the show.
Didn't Dave give that a sarcastic five star rating?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its weird but WCW used to have actual time limit draws quite often. Just random matches that ended in time limit draws. I could see people hating that because it kills matches but I remember really liking it because it just added an air of reality to wrestling for me. The same as matches ending on non finishes or moves that were traditionally transition moves. It may be anticlimactic but it helps draw me in to the fantasy that this stuff is real and each move done actually is done to try and win instead of sitting back waiting for a finishing sequence.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That reminds me. I heard that Meltzer gave a 51/2 star rating to a Flair/Steamboat house show match; has he ever done that for anyone else?

STAC Goat posted:

Its weird but WCW used to have actual time limit draws quite often. Just random matches that ended in time limit draws. I could see people hating that because it kills matches but I remember really liking it because it just added an air of reality to wrestling for me. The same as matches ending on non finishes or moves that were traditionally transition moves. It may be anticlimactic but it helps draw me in to the fantasy that this stuff is real and each move done actually is done to try and win instead of sitting back waiting for a finishing sequence.
It was pretty common decades ago, but honestly I think the custom died when the television era performers wore the audiences out on 60-minute broadways. (Territorial promoters arguing over who went over probably had something to do with it, too.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 6, 2014

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Halloween Jack posted:

That reminds me. I heard that Meltzer gave a 51/2 star rating to a Flair/Steamboat house show match; has he ever done that for anyone else?

He gave someone, I feel like it was Misawa, 6 stars once.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

projecthalaxy posted:

Yup, it was a Misawa/Kawada match.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

projecthalaxy posted:

Well that's just stupid, nobody deserves a six st-

VogeGandire posted:

it was a Misawa/Kawada match.

Oh. Nevermind.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
At that point I start wondering what the actual scale is. If it's not out of five, could there theoretically be a mind-blowing epic 10-star match?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The scale is at least like -3 to 6 so it may as well be infinite and consequently meaningless.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
I am bored at work and have Dragon Gate questions, most of which probably don't have definitive answers.

1. Why exactly did Ultimo Dragon quit Toryumon, take all his trademarks with him and force the promotion to become Dragon Gate?

2. Was an actual explanation ever given for the sudden termination of Aagan Iisou from DG in 2005 (Kondo, YASSHI, Owashi, etc.)?

3. After getting a huge push in 2004, why did Milano Collection AT suddenly start getting buried in 2005, leading to his qutting DG?

4. Does Magnum TOKYO still have any real ties to DG? Was he basically forced out when CIMA took over the promotion?

5. There may be no objective explanation for this, but has DG created any new aces in the last decade? It seems like their top guys are still the usual suspects: Mochizuki, CIMA, Yoshino, etc. Have they just had difficulty generating talent to reach the highest level or do the guys on top want to stay there? It doesn't seem like guys like Mochi and CIMA are altogether opposed to putting the younger guys over.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

epitasis posted:

The scale is at least like -3 to 6 so it may as well be infinite and consequently meaningless.

It goes as low as (read this in B-Alv's voice) MINUS

FIVE

STARS

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

VogeGandire posted:

It goes as low as (read this in B-Alv's voice) MINUS

FIVE

STARS

Will forever know this because of Botchamania. HE GOT A BICYCLE-YOU GOT TWENTY-ONE...

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What masterpiece was Bryan referring to in the MINUS 5 STARS clip anyway?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I believe that was Sharmell vs. Jenna from Survivor.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yup, Sharmell vs Jenna Morasca at Victory Road 2009.

You have to see this, it's so horrifically awful, I can't even do it justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwHTcBdwvVU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The scale actually goes as low as absolute zero stars (Meltzer) and negative more stars than there are in the universe (Alvarez) which was awarded to the Bushwackers vs Iron Sheik and Volkoff from Heroes of Wrestling.

Fun fact: Heroes of Wrestling was bought by 29,000 people, something TNA was able to achieve maybe ten times in its history.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

VogeGandire posted:

Yup, Sharmell vs Jenna Morasca at Victory Road 2009.

You have to see this, it's so horrifically awful, I can't even do it justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwHTcBdwvVU

I'm at work so I can't watch the full video but... is it really 22 minutes :stare:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Der-Wreck posted:

I'm at work so I can't watch the full video but... is it really 22 minutes :stare:

No it's like 10 minutes but the video loops without sound for some reason

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Panama Red posted:

I am bored at work and have Dragon Gate questions, most of which probably don't have definitive answers.

1. Why exactly did Ultimo Dragon quit Toryumon, take all his trademarks with him and force the promotion to become Dragon Gate?

A definite answer has never come out (and probably won't). Contributing factors were UD always being in Mexico and giving up control to Okamura and then wanting to comeback to full control post-WWE, the older wrestlers revolting over pay (apparently most of them were still living in Dojo/young boy life up to the split), and just generational differences between the older guys and T2P/TX.

Panama Red posted:

2. Was an actual explanation ever given for the sudden termination of Aagan Iisou from DG in 2005 (Kondo, YASSHI, Owashi, etc.)?

Mass behavioral issues leading up and including skipping the fan club end of the year party, which was the final straw. That firing happened in January when Dragon Gates does all of their renewals after Kobe World in July.

Panama Red posted:

3. After getting a huge push in 2004, why did Milano Collection AT suddenly start getting buried in 2005, leading to his qutting DG?

5. There may be no objective explanation for this, but has DG created any new aces in the last decade? It seems like their top guys are still the usual suspects: Mochizuki, CIMA, Yoshino, etc. Have they just had difficulty generating talent to reach the highest level or do the guys on top want to stay there? It doesn't seem like guys like Mochi and CIMA are altogether opposed to putting the younger guys over.

It's easier to answer these questions as one giant answer. DG has tried dating back to T2P to make the new generation ace with Milano. CIMA and Magnum were such huge stars among Toryumon that it'd take a very special person to fill that role. Mocchi took over Magnum's slot with the M2K stable and Magnum's countless injuries/leaving. A big problem is that there is still a majority of the ticket buying DG fans who want to see CIMA on top and haven't connected to "newer" aces enough to cement them in that slot. They've now tried twice with Shingo Takagi, Yoshino doesn't have the charisma, BXB Hulk doesn't have the "main event" feeling, and they are gun shy with Tozawa.

CIMA's health is pretty well known and he's really beat up for someone at 36. His CMAX era ring style destroyed his knees and he had horrid neck and shoulder issues. Until they find someone who can supplant him, they are going to have major issues when he's in his 40s and fans still are coming solely to see CIMA.

Panama Red posted:

4. Does Magnum TOKYO still have any real ties to DG? Was he basically forced out when CIMA took over the promotion?

Magnum got caught pocketing the trans money from the company after the split. CIMA's not the booker/owner. Genki Horiguchi leads the booking office, Okamura is the president. I don't know who holds the money behind it but there the "y" word has been thrown about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
nvm.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 7, 2014