Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Maybe. I caught a few Ultimate graphic novels in the library way back, but I've fallen behind and badly. It's been something like 14-15 years now.

So effectively, I'm lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Or is it Sputnik posted:

This was the U.K. comic though. The U.S. comic was for the most part, bad to very bad.

Pretty sure the dog execution was in the U.S. version of G.I. Joe as well, during the evacuation of Springfield. The Transformers U.S. Comic was pretty dire, though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The Transformers U.S. Comic was pretty dire, though.
Exhibit B:

An eeeevil carwash? :raise:

The Decepticons' plan here was to set up prefabricated carwashes at service stations which hypnotized the people who took their cars through it and made them drive to a Decepticon base and siphon off their fuel into their collection silos, meeting their fuel requirements one gas tank at a time. Why they just didn't hypnotize the owners of the service stations and make them hand over thousands and thousands of gallons in one hit was never explained ...

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 6, 2014

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Exhibit B:

An eeeevil carwash? :raise:

The Decepticons' plan here was to set up prefabricated carwashes at service stations which hypnotized the people who took their cars through it and made them drive to a Decepticon base and siphon off their fuel into their collection silos, meeting their fuel requirements one gas tank at a time. Why they just didn't hypnotize the owners of the service stations and make them hand over thousands and thousands of gallons in one hit was never explained ...

Passing on knowledge handed to me by someone who did follow the comics: Ratbat up there, in the UK run, became the leader of the Decepticons for a while.. And was arguably the best leader they ever had.

If you're interested checkout the Teletran 1 Transformers Wiki it's probably one of the most fun wikis I've ever come across. (For example: Check out the entry for Cliffjumper and his tendancy to pull huge guns out of "nowhere")

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

This was a series in which Optimus Prime committed suicide because he murdered imaginary people in a video game.

But at least they saved his mind on a 5.25" diskette. :v:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The sum total of Optimus Prime's life, knowledge, wisdom and personality, contained within 1.2MBs of storage.

Sounds about right.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KayTee posted:

If you're interested checkout the Teletran 1 Transformers Wiki it's probably one of the most fun wikis I've ever come across. (For example: Check out the entry for Cliffjumper and his tendancy to pull huge guns out of "nowhere")

What's the difference between that one and this one?

It's cool that the wiki seems to have a pretty good sense of humour about the object of their fandom (compared to certain other fan wikis, in any case).

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

KayTee posted:

That's the Bad TF Wiki. The good one is tfwiki.net.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

KayTee posted:

Passing on knowledge handed to me by someone who did follow the comics: Ratbat up there, in the UK run, became the leader of the Decepticons for a while.. And was arguably the best leader they ever had.

He took over for a time in IDW'S RiD as well, but...

It didn't work out quite so well.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Pilchenstein posted:

I was going to bring this up because when I used to get the Transformers comic as a kid, the second half of each issue was Action Force (as they called GI Joe over here) and both stories were almost always excellent. That's still probably my favourite loving comic ever and I'll never forgive my mam for throwing them all out while I was at university. :argh:

I can remember one issue where a small town that was actually a Cobra base had to be evacuated and they showed you one guy putting the family dog down while his kids begged him not to, that's a pretty harsh lesson to learn about the practicalities of international terrorism at age eight. They also made me go through my "fanboy angry about other forms of media" phase really early - everyone in the schoolyard is talking about how great the Transformers cartoon is and I'm there going "It has none of the depth or sophistication of the comics", probably while smoking a loving pipe or something.

Action Force both had it's own comic story line as well as reprints of the US Comic. The story line where it went from Baron Iron Blood and the Red Shadows to Cobra Commander and Cobra tying both series together was pretty crazy.

The scene you're talking about happened in GI Joe # 50, when the Joe's attacked Springfield an entire town of Cobra agents, Cobra worked to evacuate everyone while the newly born Serpentor led a delaying action.

The destruction of a US town by a US military special forces team didn't sit well with the Pentagon and got the Joes shut down.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Metal Loaf posted:

What's the difference between that one and this one?

Silhouette posted:

That's the Bad TF Wiki. The good one is tfwiki.net.

I must have stumbled onto the 'bad' one first, and never thought to look for alternatives. I always thought there was a disconnect between the quality of writing and the appearance of the site. Thanks for the correct!

(The page on Scale always slays me.)

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

KayTee posted:

(The page on Scale always slays me.)

I particularly like that that page is in the category "Things that don't exist".

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

robziel posted:

The destruction of a US town by a US military special forces team didn't sit well with the Pentagon and got the Joes shut down.

So did Mister Eyepatch wind up being an agent of Cobra?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

KayTee posted:

Soundwave was pretty drat effective as well, in one of Furman's earlier stories Dinobot Hunt he was temporary leader and manipulated the rampaging Dinobot crisis to injure a whole heap of Autobots and take over an oil refinery while the Autobots were distracted.

The UK's integration of the US comics also had the sometimes conflicting depictions of characters like Grimlock not being a complete moron.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That deserves to go in the badass panels thread :stare:

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Turns out that's what you get when you combine the genetics of the greatest generals and conquerors in history.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Suleman posted:

Turns out that's what you get when you combine the genetics of the greatest generals and conquerors in history.

That and a lot of random memories - doesn't he reminisce at one point about the invention of the pizza and how it gave his roman legions a morale boost that led directly to the fall of some city they were sieging?

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Pilchenstein posted:

That and a lot of random memories - doesn't he reminisce at one point about the invention of the pizza and how it gave his roman legions a morale boost that led directly to the fall of some city they were sieging?

Yep.

G.I. Joe yearbook 3 according to Google.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Isn't that the bad guy from the old Conan the Adventurer cartoon (which rocked, btw)

e: totally loving is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8syTIxbG6U one of the best cartoon intros IMO, it's just so magnificently cheesy.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

FredMSloniker posted:

You mean General Totally Not Nick Fury? Please.

GorfZaplen posted:

Good call, I'll drop that in and the above panels.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Indestructible Hulk #17.INH: This kind of thing wouldn't happen if Hank Pym would just stick with a code name for a while.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sentinel Red posted:

The sum total of Optimus Prime's life, knowledge, wisdom and personality, contained within 1.2MBs of storage.

Sounds about right.

640K is enough for *anyone*.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

TwoPair posted:

Indestructible Hulk #17.INH: This kind of thing wouldn't happen if Hank Pym would just stick with a code name for a while.

All I can think is "Thanks, Hanks. Thanks."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FredMSloniker posted:

There's no way that guy isn't Zartan, and that the eyepatch on the other side isn't poking fun at Fury.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

To go back to something I mentioned earlier today, it's the death of Optimus Prime from Marvel's Transformers #24. Optimus and Megatron have agreed to fight to the death in a virtual space, but Megatron has uncovered a cheat code, naturally...

That's right, Optimus suicides over killing imaginary bean men.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There's no way that guy isn't Zartan, and that the eyepatch on the other side isn't poking fun at Fury.

I just read it and no, he does get blowed up real good.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

God, what an insufferable douche. I think I just decided that I hate the autobots. Just now.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
Covers from that era lead me to believe that Optimus dying happened fairly often.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Exit Strategy posted:

All I can think is "Thanks, Hanks. Thanks."
The only way that pun could be worse is if Pym was in his Ant-Man attire.

Irredeemable Ant-Man Vol 1, by the way.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

At some point the Autobots really need to look over the Prime code and find the logic error that makes them constantly kill themselves.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

His Finest Moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ykPuYNpJQE

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
From what I recall, the comic had a lot of times where the Decepticons were really effective at their side of the battle. Early on, like in one of the early two-digit numbered issues if I recall (i.e. at around the end of the first year) Megatron had ended up sneaking in to the ark and killing everyone while they slept (I guess there were memory backups or something) leaving just Optimus' severed head hooked up, and Ratchet, of all people alive. Then he forced him off into the Savage Land (Marvel) to go find the shut down bodies of the Dinobots for his purposes. I recall one point where Ratchet's tired of his poo poo, and actually successfully defeats him, trapping him in ice in Antarctica, saving the day. It was a pretty bad rear end set of issues.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

From what I recall, the comic had a lot of times where the Decepticons were really effective at their side of the battle. Early on, like in one of the early two-digit numbered issues if I recall (i.e. at around the end of the first year) Megatron had ended up sneaking in to the ark and killing everyone while they slept (I guess there were memory backups or something) leaving just Optimus' severed head hooked up, and Ratchet, of all people alive. Then he forced him off into the Savage Land (Marvel) to go find the shut down bodies of the Dinobots for his purposes. I recall one point where Ratchet's tired of his poo poo, and actually successfully defeats him, trapping him in ice in Antarctica, saving the day. It was a pretty bad rear end set of issues.

Actually it's when Shockwave shows up and basically cleans the clocks of all the Autobots. It's probably one of the best parts of the American series, because as a kid it really was shocking to see the Autobots wrecked early on. Later they even put a reprogrammed head on Optimus Prime's body and it pretty much tears through the other Autobots as soon as they finally get free. Though it's not a great book, it maintains a consistently grim tone, and the Autobots are always struggling to get their poo poo together.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Actually it's when Shockwave shows up and basically cleans the clocks of all the Autobots. It's probably one of the best parts of the American series, because as a kid it really was shocking to see the Autobots wrecked early on. Later they even put a reprogrammed head on Optimus Prime's body and it pretty much tears through the other Autobots as soon as they finally get free. Though it's not a great book, it maintains a consistently grim tone, and the Autobots are always struggling to get their poo poo together.

How can we forget that it also spawned what might be the best cover in TF comics history:

Seriously, that sort of stuff traumatised 6-year-old me. Reading TF comics, hoping for Optimus Prime vs Megatron and instead getting a PTSD Ratchet stare at all of his dead teammates hanging from the ceiling was some heavy metal poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

At some point the Autobots really need to look over the Prime code and find the logic error that makes them constantly kill themselves.

Seriously, drat that's a lot of dead semi-trucks

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Well if we're going into extended media even the coloring books got pretty dark.

Transformers: The Autobot Smasher #1, sadly never collected in a TPB.

He got better, thanks to Ratchet's body massage skills.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
A question I once heard which have never been satisfactorily answered: When Optimus dies, what happens to Roller?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sizone posted:

A question I once heard which have never been satisfactorily answered: When Optimus dies, what happens to Roller?

Roller is just his slave name, once he's free from the oppressive slavery of Optimus Prime he shall become his own man.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Roller isn't a separate being, it's just a semi-autonomous drone. Without Prime it's just a piece of machinery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Ghostlight posted:

Roller isn't a separate being, it's just a semi-autonomous drone. Without Prime it's just a piece of machinery.

Aren't we all, really?

• Locked thread