Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I got my WiiU for $250 in a boxing day sale and it came with New Mario Bros. U and New Luigi U. You will never convince me $250 for a new console and $80 worth of games that I enjoy is not a deal. Now maybe you don't enjoy those games and that's fine, but I think New Super Mario Bros. U is by far the best 2D Mario game since the 1990s, and I am having a blast with it.

I had a lot of fun with Mario Bros. U as well. I didn't really get into any of the earlier titles so it felt fresh to me and I loved the Mario World throwbacks. There are still a few games I plan to pick up once I'm done with 3D World and Wind Waker HD like Lego City Undercover and the recent Lego Marvel game my friend has been raving about.

That said I picked it up at launch and at one point only had Sonic Transformed and Earthbound to play for it. That was a dark time. I think I just played Xenoblade around that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RStar
Aug 18, 2013

Spiffo posted:

Then buy it once X comes out?

edit: or at least once it has a title or release date or anything more than a letter actually

Its not as thought he price of the WiiU will be much different between now and then.

Even if its $100 difference, the point was I expected a game or two I'd enjoy between now and X. I picked it up near launch because once seeing X, I knew I'd be getting a WiiU at some point anyways so I may as well just get it now.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

RStar posted:

I knew I'd be getting a WiiU at some point anyways so I may as well just get it now.

Uh, what if the game got cancelled?

Buying a system for just one game is pretty silly, particularly if you know you won't enjoy most of the rest of the games that'll be released for it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fulchrum posted:

Isn't Minecraft popular in Japan as well?

It might be but the point stands that Tokyo can't be calling the shots when the Japanese market is, and let's face it, tiny compared to the western market (or American and European market). Whichever way you slice it it reeks of terrible business practices.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

RStar posted:

Hey, maybe we should only let people who didn't buy the system rate it, right?

There's nothing I want to play for the PS4. If I purchased it and complained about that, I'd sound pretty ridiculous right?

Oh wait, no, you think that's perfectly fine.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
All this talk about the WiiU price and here I am standing with a foreign income and a deflated yen that will get me a WiiU at 180 euro. :smuggo:

RStar
Aug 18, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

There's nothing I want to play for the PS4. If I purchased it and complained about that, I'd sound pretty ridiculous right?

Oh wait, no, you think that's perfectly fine.

Being on a forum that requires you to pay to post about video games, I'm quite confident I'm not the only idiot who buys basically every console at launch. The only system I don't currently have is a PS4, which I'm sure will change the next time I'm bored and want to play around with the new features on it while waiting for a decent game.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Buying a system for just one game is pretty silly, particularly if you know you won't enjoy most of the rest of the games that'll be released for it.

As I had said, I expected other decent RPG's to be released for it judging from owning a Wii the previous generation.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I bought a PS3 on black Friday shortly after I bought a Wii U and I've spent way more tim eplaying Wii U.

In fairness, I started with Uncharted 1 on PS3, and I'm assuming (hoping) 2 and 3 get a lot better because Uncharted 1 so far is kind of meh.

The Wii U is easily my favorite console since SNES. I love it so far. That's probably why it sucks financially and won't last. I've pretty much left the mainstream of console gaming. I'll do some serious gaming now and then, but I prefer it on PC where I can easily see fine detail. For my living room console, I want big bright colors and easy to play games. Wind Waker HD, Mario 3D World, etc. certainly fit that bill.

I did buy Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, and Assassin's Creed 3 for Wii U to try because of their gamepad features. That's another thing I love. The gamepad is seriously the best controller ever. Not quite as good layout wise as a 360 controller, but it has the screen which is awesome. I bought a 3rd party pro controller but I just cant use it anymore. Once you're used to having the screen functionality, it's hard to go back. But again, as awesome as it is it's also a huge reason why the Wii U is a commercial failure, because it jacks up the cost of a console and no one will really care about its functionality unless/until they buy a Wii U and get hooked on it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

NeilPerry posted:

All this talk about the WiiU price and here I am standing with a foreign income and a deflated yen that will get me a WiiU at 180 euro. :smuggo:

What'll it be after shipping and tariffs from Japan?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

What'll it be after shipping and tariffs from Japan?

When I imported my 3DS from Japan customs actually charged me 70 euro extra so I wouldn't risk it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

abagofcheetos posted:

Why would I drop $300 on something that won't last three years? I'd rather play PS3 games instead of doing that, since it has WAY better games than the Wii U. Which is what I'm doing, actually.

:ssh: Wii U has good games now :ssh:

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

RStar posted:

Its not as thought he price of the WiiU will be much different between now and then.

Even if its $100 difference, the point was I expected a game or two I'd enjoy between now and X. I picked it up near launch because once seeing X, I knew I'd be getting a WiiU at some point anyways so I may as well just get it now.

Next time, you might wanna buy the console when the game you're looking forward to actually comes out. You might have missed out on a good bundle or discount by jumping the gun.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

NeilPerry posted:

All the older consoles have better games than what are on the new consoles. That's just common sense.

Yeah, but if you only include PS3 games released since last fall you will still come out ahead with the PS3, likely even if you go a year or two into the future.

Louisgod posted:

Cool, so then do that and don't buy a WiiU or something. What are you getting at, exactly? Just buy a console that has games you want to play, whether that be now or years from now.

I don't know, it is just discussion? If you want a reason why the PS4/Xbone is outselling the Wii U despite the Wii U having such better games, I'm gonna guess its because of the whole longevity thing.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

RStar posted:

I feel mostly the same way as you, except I held off.

It's completely conceivable that the price will drop between now and and an unspecified time in 2014, especially come Spring. I might get one eventually. But I can't justify getting a console that doesn't have games I want to play.

I'm looking forward to some titles down the line, and they'll be a good reason to get a Wii-U later. Once they're real. Otherwise, it's a struggling console with no future and not really worth the price.

I'm getting a PS4 down the line too, but since it's likely got a healthy future it's a lot easier to justify buying. But it's got no games I want to play yet, so there's no point in getting it now.

Basically what wondering is, "If you have to wait to play it either way, why not just wait to buy it?"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

RStar posted:

Being on a forum that requires you to pay to post about video games, I'm quite confident I'm not the only idiot who buys basically every console at launch.

As I said, I'm one of those idiots, but I don't blame the console. The purchase is now unquestionably worth it. There's lots of games for me to play on my time and budget and more games to try later.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

As I said, I'm one of those idiots, but I don't blame the console. The purchase is now unquestionably worth it. There's lots of games for me to play on my time and budget and more games to try later.

Isn't this ultimately why you buy a console? I'd say my purchases are based more on 'this thing has games I want to play' rather than 'the console is the best selling by every metric'. Hell I bought a Wii just to play Twilight Princess.

Anecdote over.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chris Christie posted:

In fairness, I started with Uncharted 1 on PS3, and I'm assuming (hoping) 2 and 3 get a lot better because Uncharted 1 so far is kind of meh.

Skip 1 and go directly to 2.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Some people have a lot of disposable income and just don't give a gently caress, they just want the latest gadets.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

Isn't this ultimately why you buy a console? I'd say my purchases are based more on 'this thing has games I want to play' rather than 'the console is the best selling by every metric'. Hell I bought a Wii just to play Twilight Princess.

Yeah pretty much, but the whole thing came not out of "This thing has games I want to play" but rather "This thing doesn't have any games I want to play but I will buy it right away because some games I want to play might come out later".

In the latter case, it's smarter to wait.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RStar posted:

As I had said, I expected other decent RPG's to be released for it judging from owning a Wii the previous generation.

What the whole two decent RPG's that came out of it in the last year of its life?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Boiled Water posted:

Hell I bought a Wii just to play Twilight Princess.

You could have played it on the Game Cube.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Astro7x posted:

You could have played it on the Game Cube.

And not in bizarro mirror world

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

Not always. I buy stuff that has an investment in terms of games I like and want to play, but there's also a pretty heavy X factor of games I don't even conceive of coming out of nowhere and surprising me. Tokyo Jungle for example came out of nowhere to become pretty much my favorite game of 2012, and to say a game that obscure was something I was buying a system for is absurd.

Sometimes you buy a console because the raw amount of output you can expect from first and third party studios means you'll wind up finding great games out of the blue, and that owns pretty hard. It's also sadly never a reason to buy Nintendo products simply because they're so adamantly tied to their core properties; they are making noises about changing with stuff like W101 and Bayonetta 2, but I don't think anyone honestly believes that is going to last beyond being a token effort.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah but I remember a big thing about the Wizard was getting to see Super Mario Brothers 3 for the first time before it came out.

Yes but they had already sold about 25 million NES consoles in North America by the time The Wizard came out, out of the 34 million consoles they would eventually sell here up til production halted in 1995.

Part of the point of The Wizard was that so many kids were already familiar with the NES and had played their own or a friend's that they would relate to an NES competition and be excited by the new game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

zenintrude posted:

And not in bizarro mirror world

It's only bizarro mirror world if you played the Game Cube version first...

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Sakurazuka posted:

What the whole two decent RPG's that came out of it in the last year of its life?

If you'll allow me to indulge in hyperbole, this is a greater number than the 360.

Honestly, if you want RPGs, the Wii-U might be a good bet, but thus far its been great for those of us who skipped Wii, and want to play some retro games, or the new versions of Nintendo's old IPs. PS3 is getting and does have some good RPGs, even without PS2 support.

Beetlejuice v.o
Jul 12, 2008

:)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 6, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Chris Christie posted:

Astro7x posted:

Skip 1 and go directly to 2.

Yeah, Uncharted 1 is pretty janky. Watch Chip & Ironicus' LP if you want to see what the characters get up to, but 2 is definitely where the series became polished and enjoyable. Even after playing through it twice, there are still encounters in the first game where I have to bash my head against it over and over again until I manage to scrape through, on bloody Normal difficulty.

hubris.height posted:

Honestly, if you want RPGs, the Wii-U might be a good bet, but thus far its been great for those of us who skipped Wii, and want to play some retro games, or the new versions of Nintendo's old IPs. PS3 is getting and does have some good RPGs, even without PS2 support.

Is the Wii U really getting that many RPGs? X looks cool, but the PS3 is still getting some new ones, including Persona 5. They tend to go where the most market share is, which is handhelds, such as SMT4 and Bravely Default on the 3DS.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 6, 2014

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

That loving Sned posted:

Is the Wii U really getting that many RPGs? X looks cool, but the PS3 is still getting some new ones, including Persona 5. They tend to go where the most market share is, which is handhelds, such as SMT4 and Bravely Default on the 3DS.

Yeah, X is about the only one announced, that was what I was saying -- about the PS3. The 3DS is a great RPG Console right now, I play mine a ridiculous amount for this reason.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is supposedly an RPG and not a strategy RPG, right?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

whaley posted:

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is supposedly an RPG and not a strategy RPG, right?

Atlus confirmed it would be an RPG but they didn't say anything about how it would play.

That being said if it makes it in time before the wii-U dies it might be a worthwhile game. Dreamcast and Saturn died and you had a shitload of really wonky distributed titles towards the end.

Then again the Saturn and the Dreamcast never got any of the Sakura Wars games in America. And rival schools had entire modes removed for the Dreamcast American release.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 7, 2014

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
For those not keeping up on the console sales numbers, Sony announced that they have sold 4.2 Million PS4s as of Dec. 28th. Microsoft announced that "over 3 million" consoles were sold in 2013 which puts it on par with the Wii U at the same point in its LTD sales. Nintendo has also scheduled their third quarter earnings release for January 29th. I wouldn't expect to hear much from Nintendo until then.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Astro7x posted:

Microsoft announced that "over 3 million" consoles were sold in 2013 which puts it on par with the Wii U at the same point in its LTD sales.

It's comparable, but as you pointed out before, the 3.06m number for the Wii U was consoles shipped and the Xbone number is specified as 'sold to customers'.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Shipped and Sold: A Brief Introduction

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Edmund Honda posted:

It's comparable, but as you pointed out before, the 3.06m number for the Wii U was consoles shipped and the Xbone number is specified as 'sold to customers'.

We'll see when NDP numbers come out if it's really shipped or sold I suppose. There is so much spin in that article I don't know if I believe it.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Astro7x posted:

We'll see when NDP numbers come out if it's really shipped or sold I suppose. There is so much spin in that article I don't know if I believe it.

What number are you thinking NPD is going to confirm? Sony and MS' sales numbers are worldwide sales numbers, while NPD reports only US sales. It would be incredibly improbable that NPD's figures match, because that would mean that not one unit was sold outside of the US.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

thefncrow posted:

What number are you thinking NPD is going to confirm? Sony and MS' sales numbers are worldwide sales numbers, while NPD reports only US sales. It would be incredibly improbable that NPD's figures match, because that would mean that not one unit was sold outside of the US.

True, I guess we'll never know the real answer then...

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
No one has bought an Xbox One, and everyone has bought a WiiU. Look at your component shelf right now. There's a WiiU in it. Be amazed.

More Kirby games coming soon.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Sup

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

That's just the stock price that has nothing to do with how bad the wii-u is doing.

I mean geez Microsoft's stock is fine, but nobody is going lie and say that windows 8 and the Xbone are anything but a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Yes but [irrelevant Nintendo victory].

• Locked thread