Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Iron Crowned posted:

Ah, Fox Radio. I tend to avoid it as much as possible because it makes me angry. I really only to listeing when it's 1am and I can't sleep because the local affiliate plays Coast to Coast AM.

Anyway, my local station's schedule indicates that the slot before C2C is Mark Levin. This dude is nuts, I swear every time I have the misfortune of a little bit of time to kill, he's always comparing what's going on in US politics to The Walking Dead.

we call him Master Shake around these parts. He is hilarious. He's always yammering about "The Constitution" but I don't think he's ever read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.

BiggerBoat posted:

Now the The War on Christmas is over, I'm bracing myself for the annual onslaught of global warming denial since the whole country is experiencing record cold. Expecting a lot of that today.

Meanwhile, down in Australia, it's so hot that meteorologists were forced to add a new color to the temperature spectrum.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

comes along bort posted:

That's not limited to libertarians. Everyone thinks their views are correct and everyone else is just uninformed/on the take/pressured by others.

Libertarians are exceptionally insufferable about it, though. Their entire opinion is more or less that having any sort of policy opinion is wrong, as all POLICIES are wrong. The only right answer is no regulation, ever, no not even then.

BiggerBoat posted:

Now the The War on Christmas is over, I'm bracing myself for the annual onslaught of global warming denial since the whole country is experiencing record cold. Expecting a lot of that today.

I hate getting into those conversations. Increased global average temperature means more volatile weather leading to colder colds when a snap hits. It's almost as if increased air circulation blows really cold air further south.

I've had to actually point out that we haven't had a colder-than-average winter in decades and that, when I was a small child, winter started in November where I live in that it started snowing and didn't melt until February. Winter was actually winter. On the opposite side of record colds there have been record hots. A few years back there was a January that was in the 70s for like a week or so. That's absolutely loving unheard of in these parts. Winters are mild at best and snow is intermittent but hey guys we had a record low that one day when a cold wind blew in from the north, that must mean global warming is fake! Ignore the 80 degree day in January that doesn't support the argument.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vriess posted:

we call him Master Shake around these parts. He is hilarious. He's always yammering about "The Constitution" but I don't think he's ever read it.

I always catch him on Walking Dead tangents, I don't stay up that late often, especially now that the party apartment below me was evicted out, so I actually sleep all night. It's hillarious, but sad that he seems to really believe that the Walking Dead is some kind of portent of our future. It's also terrifying that the people who call in believe it.

Re: Global Warming.
I heard some talk about that last night at the bar. Of course when I tried to interject, I was informed that it's apparently a well known fact that meteorologists are paid to be liars.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The zombie genre is amazing for RaHoWa warriors-in-waiting cus all they have to do is replace zombies with urban ferals and the heroic protagonist with themselves and there you go.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

I always catch him on Walking Dead tangents, I don't stay up that late often, especially now that the party apartment below me was evicted out, so I actually sleep all night. It's hillarious, but sad that he seems to really believe that the Walking Dead is some kind of portent of our future. It's also terrifying that the people who call in believe it.

Nutbar conservatives are all about The Walking Dead because they think that that's what will happen when the money runs out for social programs and black people will riot and burn the cities flat and then come spilling out into the countryside where they'll be met by the stoic legions of Real America. They relish the idea because it lets them indulge their fantasies of killing black people and watching urban liberals like myself get our comeuppance while also giving them an excuse for doing away with the last 60+ years of civil rights.

No, really.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Question: How do the urban ferals get converted into flesh eating monsters?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gozinbulx posted:

Obamacare

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

Haha "get converted into"

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Nutbar conservatives are all about The Walking Dead because they think that that's what will happen when the money runs out for social programs and black people will riot and burn the cities flat and then come spilling out into the countryside where they'll be met by the stoic legions of Real America. They relish the idea because it lets them indulge their fantasies of killing black people and watching urban liberals like myself get our comeuppance while also giving them an excuse for doing away with the last 60+ years of civil rights.

No, really.
The entire zombie thing just gets worse the more you think about it. The earliest zombie type stuff (I Am Legend, the original Night of the Living Dead) had something interesting to say, but it devolved into this lovely survivalist fantasy where all the people you hate (not to mention the GUBBMINT) get killed because they're big stupid heads. My favorite zombie scene is the bit at the end of Shaun of the Dead where the army shows up, and suddenly the "zombie apocalypse" is a trivially easy mop-up operation for professionals with assault rifles. It so perfectly runs against what has become the typical zombie movie narrative.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Iron Crowned posted:

Re: Global Warming.
I heard some talk about that last night at the bar. Of course when I tried to interject, I was informed that it's apparently a well known fact that meteorologists are paid to be liars.

Meteorologists try to predict weather, climatologists study climate. It's an important distinction to make because meteorology is a soft science but climatology is not. :eng101:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Guilty Spork posted:

The entire zombie thing just gets worse the more you think about it. The earliest zombie type stuff (I Am Legend, the original Night of the Living Dead) had something interesting to say, but it devolved into this lovely survivalist fantasy where all the people you hate (not to mention the GUBBMINT) get killed because they're big stupid heads. My favorite zombie scene is the bit at the end of Shaun of the Dead where the army shows up, and suddenly the "zombie apocalypse" is a trivially easy mop-up operation for professionals with assault rifles. It so perfectly runs against what has become the typical zombie movie narrative.

28 Days Later is the most absurd to me since you have this facility with a virus that the people making it know is the end of the world if it gets out and a bunch of dumbass PETA stereotypes are able to break in with no problems and after one is infected there's no protocol to lock down the facility.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Guilty Spork posted:

In the good zombie movies, the zombies are pretty much just a looming threat, and the real danger are the people you're with.

baw posted:

Meteorologists try to predict weather, climatologists study climate. It's an important distinction to make because meteorology is a soft science but climatology is not. :eng101:

There's no difference to these type of people though, they all predict the weather :downs:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Wow gently caress me I didn't even notice my saltybets post until now. Sorry! :(

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Let's start with our good friend Mr. Trump

http://mediamatters.org/video/2014/01/06/fox-regular-donald-trump-decries-climate-change/197432

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Iron Crowned posted:

In the good zombie movies, the zombies are pretty much just a looming threat, and the real danger are the people you're with.

That is literally what TWD is about. You could take 90% of its stories and transplant them into the Wild West in the 1880s and not much would be lost.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Except it's unlikely that their dead would turn into Injuns!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ReindeerF posted:

Except it's unlikely that their dead would turn into Injuns!

It doesn't even have to be the dead turning into injuns. Tensions were pretty drat high after the indian wars. A former coworker of mine had some writings from his great grandfather. Out in nowhere Kansas the indians would stop by a lake near their property when passing through and the kids had to hide while their mother waited inside with a shotgun until they went on their way.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Guilty Spork posted:

Well I Am Legend, the novel, is explicitly an allegory for race relations and was written at the start of the real push for racial equality. Don't forget Neville lives in Compton, which at that time was a majority white, legally segregated suburb.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hasters posted:

Well I Am Legend, the novel, is explicitly an allegory for race relations and was written at the start of the real push for racial equality. Don't forget Neville lives in Compton, which at that time was a majority white, legally segregated suburb.

I hadn't caught on to that, consider my mind blown.

Seems like it would be an allegory that the right would catch on to considering the looming threat were vampires.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Good Citizen posted:

I can't really blame them for laughing about that. It is kind of funny in a one-shot late show joke kind of way. It's pretty much the right wing's version of a 'outspoken social conservative caught with gay lover' story.

There's like three things wrong with this analogy.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The zombie film (and now TV) stuff is entirely about civil unrest and race riots in its origin. I mean it probably wasn't seen as intended as racist allegory to Romero per se, but that's what it's about. There's been a shitload written about this. You don't have to intuit it, it's out there.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Vriess posted:

Oh, he's read it. He's read every single word of it and every single document surrounding it's discussion, creation, and implementation in order to select specific passages and make them mean whatever he wants. Levin is a relatively smart and educated person who graduated from both high school and college early and shouldn't be underestimated. He knows exactly how disingenuous he's being and is capable of playing it off with legalese interpretations of founding documents and smug dismissals when appropriate.

Levin is basically like one of those fundamentalists who gets an evolutionary biology PHD so he has perceived authority when he says evolution is all bullshit.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
On a semi-related note, has anybody else noticed that it doesn't matter what tone Levin is trying to create while talking, he always sounds like he's screaming in indignant anger, at least a little bit? When I try to read his writing, it feels like he's somehow screaming at me through the text.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ReindeerF posted:

The zombie film (and now TV) stuff is entirely about civil unrest and race riots in its origin. I mean it probably wasn't seen as intended as racist allegory to Romero per se, but that's what it's about. There's been a shitload written about this. You don't have to intuit it, it's out there.

There's just as much to say that its about conservative overreaction and freakout about civil unrest and racial equality. Mindless, brainless consumeristic hordes who will try to kill, with no shred of human mercy, anyone who is not one of them.

Ever wondered why the black guy always dies first in a zombie movie?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fulchrum posted:

There's just as much to say that its about conservative overreaction and freakout about civil unrest and racial equality. Mindless, brainless consumeristic hordes who will try to kill, with no shred of human mercy, anyone who is not one of them.

Ever wondered why the black guy always dies first in a zombie movie?

Uh, black guys survive 'till the end in the original Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Iron Crowned posted:

Uh, black guys survive 'till the end in the original Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead.

And the remake of dawn. Also in 28 days later the black woman survives to the end. In fact I'm not sure which zombie movies that are in any way popular kill off the minorities first. I'm sure some exist because the world is terrible, but I can't think of one off the top of my head.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Rush focused a majority of his opening ire on climate change. Here he is railing about the media's usage of the term 'polar vortex', the last 1.5 minutes of that clip are total :ironicat:. I spent all of 15 seconds searching my University's library for articles referencing this term and found stuff dating back to 1990, though I will admit it could have been used in research literature before even that since I gave up looking for earlier dates. Among other exposures of the fraud of climate change he had a caller that claims to have been in the Coast Guard in the 1970s that played football in the Antarctic, without any shirts on mind you (:quagmire:). You know, since the ice hasn't changed one iota in 40 years :rolleyes:

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

kik2dagroin posted:

Rush focused a majority of his opening ire on climate change. Here he is railing about the media's usage of the term 'polar vortex', the last 1.5 minutes of that clip are total :ironicat:. I spent all of 15 seconds searching my University's library for articles referencing this term and found stuff dating back to 1990, though I will admit it could have been used in research literature before even that since I gave up looking for earlier dates. Among other exposures of the fraud of climate change he had a caller that claims to have been in the Coast Guard in the 1970s that played football in the Antarctic, without any shirts on mind you (:quagmire:). You know, since the ice hasn't changed one iota in 40 years :rolleyes:

What the gently caress? Any documentary on the Antarctic spends about 15 minutes detailing how hilariously lethal the cold is. People die within a couple meters of the door, because visibility is often so low. It seems like a weird thing to lie about, like bragging about playing soccer on Mars in nothing but scuba gear.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TwoQuestions posted:

What the gently caress? Any documentary on the Antarctic spends about 15 minutes detailing how hilariously lethal the cold is. People die within a couple meters of the door, because visibility is often so low. It seems like a weird thing to lie about, like bragging about playing soccer on Mars in nothing but scuba gear.

The caller probably exaggerated and meant that he was running around someplace in Alaska during the summertime. There's no way that he was running around on an ice shelf without a shirt on.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WoodrowSkillson posted:

And the remake of dawn. Also in 28 days later the black woman survives to the end. In fact I'm not sure which zombie movies that are in any way popular kill off the minorities first. I'm sure some exist because the world is terrible, but I can't think of one off the top of my head.

You're seriously dismissing black people dying first in horror movies as not happening?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Hannity released the first part of his 'conservative solutions caucus' stuff he's been promoting recently today. This section is on the Economy. Take a guess what's in it before reading:

http://www.hannity.com/pages/conservative-solutions-caucus-economy

Answer: Cut spending and taxes, introduce balanced budget amendment.
e: oops, forgot deregulating the gently caress out of energy

Tomorrow: Conservative solutions for healthcare!

Repeal obamacare, tort reform, say 'free market' and 'best healthcare system in the world' a lot

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 6, 2014

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Good Citizen posted:

Hannity released the first part of his 'conservative solutions caucus' stuff he's been promoting recently today. This section is on the Economy. Take a guess what's in it before reading:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-december-17-2013/the-real-hunger-games

Answer: Cut spending and taxes, introduce balanced budget amendment.
e: oops, forgot deregulating the gently caress out of energy

Tomorrow: Conservative solutions for healthcare!

Repeal obamacare, tort reform, say 'free market' and 'best healthcare system in the world' a lot

Whatever I expected before clicking that link, it definitely wasn't the link to the Daily Show interview with that sociopath who thinks we should let kids die on the street so the free market will help them.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

Whatever I expected before clicking that link, it definitely wasn't the link to the Daily Show interview with that sociopath who thinks we should let kids die on the street so the free market will help them.

Copy paste error, fixed

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fulchrum posted:

You're seriously dismissing black people dying first in horror movies as not happening?

As we all know stereotypes are true.

(You also said Zombie movie instead of horror movie)

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah, I've watched a lot of poo poo zombie movies since they're all over Netflix, and the badass black person who survives a long time is kind of a stereotype. Which is stupid in its own right, but it certainly is the more common thing in that subgenre.

VVV Edit: Sure, cliche, rather. I'd say it's a distinct subgenre, the same way you have comedies and dark comedies or what have you.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 6, 2014

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

As we all know stereotypes are true.

(You also said Zombie movie instead of horror movie)

Stereotypes are about people. When they apply to media, they're called cliches.

And I was unaware that Zombie movies were considered their own distinct and unrelated genre, unlike horror movies.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah, I've watched a lot of poo poo zombie movies since they're all over Netflix, and the badass black person who survives a long time is kind of a stereotype. Which is stupid in its own right, but it certainly is the more common thing.

Ben, the original black guy survivor, wasn't even intended to be black, he was just best for the part. So, all the racial connotations attached to NOTLD are unintentional. :ssh:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

Ben, the original black guy survivor, wasn't even intended to be black, he was just best for the part. So, all the racial connotations attached to NOTLD are unintentional. :ssh:

You'll never convince me that having him survive the night only to be shot by an armed white mob and then have his body incinerated wasn't a commentary on racial politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Most people post-LF go bonkers telling everyone how every single thing in America is about race. I'm not one of those people. Life is complex and some things are about race while many things are not - or are intertwined. However, there is a massive body of work on zombie movies and their relation to the civil rights/race riots of the times. Hit Google for 30 seconds and you'll find it. It's more complex than, "Black people are bad," which is why I said I don't think George Romero intentionally was targeting black people - he was targeting the fears of people who were scared to death of the civil unrest. I know it's connected, but it's stupid to say that it's a one to one relationship. It was probably part opportunism and part vision of a new kind of horror movie. Who knows? Anyway, it's like an established field of film criticism and theory for like forty years. Goons did not just figure this out recently, nor do they have the most nuanced opinions on the topic.