Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoB
May 1, 2009

epitasis posted:

Did they replace the entire DA2 team, then? I didn't hear about that.

I'm pretty sure Dragon Age 2 was made by a different studio than Bioware proper, back when EA was renaming every studio "Bioware _____"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It wasn't. People who worked on DAO worked on DA2. Gaider, for a big example.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

KoB posted:

I'm pretty sure Dragon Age 2 was made by a different studio than Bioware proper, back when EA was renaming every studio "Bioware _____"

Nope. DA2 is Bioware Edmonton.

The Mass Effect franchise is now being developed by Bioware Montreal while Edmonton works on Dragon Age and a new project.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's confusing now that EA treats Bioware like a brand name.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The current leadership has had its teeth kicked in by the bad press recently. The founders left after the ME3 ending debacle. Laidlaw, at least, is dialed down significantly from DA2--seems very humbled, but I still don't really listen to him that much because he's still very much a market-speech kind of guy. The writing team also seems to be a lot quieter this time around--at least one controversial writer has left, and the rest don't seem to be tumblr-speaking to each other has loudly ("OMG can I nom her head!?"). The worst offenders on the Bioware Social Site, primarily that guy who always put a devil in every post and sexually harassed people on twitter, have also been let go, so that's one organ of awful that hasn't been getting vented like it was during DA2.

Ultimately, they are achingly, blatantly aware that they're not golden anymore, and the DA team seems to be making a genuine effort to not gently caress this up. I've paid zero attention to the Mass Effect stuff (even though that was my favorite series before ME3's ending happened), but they're also being pretty quiet.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The Mass Effect team are being quiet because they don't have anything to talk about. The Dragon Age team are being more meaningfully transparent if anything. It reminds me a bit of the PR for Origins, just without all the gross stuff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Last I heard anything about Mass Effect was shortly after ME3 came out. Bioware either hinted or even outright stated (I forgot which) that a AAA spin-off series was in the works. Will probably hear something about that late next year.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dan Didio posted:

The Mass Effect team are being quiet because they don't have anything to talk about. The Dragon Age team are being more meaningfully transparent if anything. It reminds me a bit of the PR for Origins, just without all the gross stuff.

There was a report I read about an EA exec tweeting about his playtime with the ME4 build. Said it was new but recognizably Mass Effect. But yeah, nothing besides that.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

I said come in! posted:

Last I heard anything about Mass Effect was shortly after ME3 came out. Bioware either hinted or even outright stated (I forgot which) that a AAA spin-off series was in the works. Will probably hear something about that late next year.

They've shown that they have a script for a 'Mass Effect 4' and they've shown off concept art in very, very brief.

Lotish posted:

There was a report I read about an EA exec tweeting about his playtime with the ME4 build. Said it was new but recognizably Mass Effect. But yeah, nothing besides that.

Oh yeah, that too. I vaguely recall that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I said come in! posted:

It's confusing now that EA treats Bioware like a brand name.

At least they seemed to have stopped doing that. It got a bit ridiculous when they renamed the studio doing a Command & Conquer title (the recently cancelled F2P one) to "BioWare Victory."

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

At least they seemed to have stopped doing that. It got a bit ridiculous when they renamed the studio doing a Command & Conquer title (the recently cancelled F2P one) to "BioWare Victory."

Victory doesn't exist any more. It got closed down after they cancelled the game.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Now if the game actually let us question, deter and torture almost every character in the game utilizing the "they could be a blood mage/abomination" excuse, at least then the game will have earned its title. :v: The more you abuse this the worse your organization becomes, but at least the freedom to question nearly any character in this game on grounds of blood magic sacrilege would at least win Inquisition some brownie points no matter how bad the rest of it is.

EDIT: And double this if they can either make accusations have randomized chances of being right even if you were just lying through your teeth to legally arrest, rob and/or kill someone - or allow origins to include being from Kirkwall and having a justified in-character paranoia that "MAYBE EVERYONE IS A BLOODMAGE!:tinfoil:"

I now hope to god that my Dragon Age 3 experience will be to play a blood mage who can't walk down the street without accusing at least three people of being evil blood mages before executing them and taking all their stuff.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Victory doesn't exist any more. It got closed down after they cancelled the game.

I know, it was still ridiculous.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Did they shut down that Ultima f2p game as well? I haven't heard anything about that in two years.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
All the F2P seem to be falling by the quayside a bit these days. Not that I am complaining about it of course.

And as a little additional, do we have any clue as to what the three strands are in terms of interactions? I know it's going to be spies, diplomacy and warfare, but do we know about how they will interact? Does going full on one of them mean anything or simply fewer options?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 6, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Hank Morgan posted:

Did they shut down that Ultima f2p game as well? I haven't heard anything about that in two years.

Talking about Ultima Forever or Lords of Ultima? I *think* Ultima Forever is still running, though it certainly didn't set the world on fire.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bioware should reboot Ultima as a new single player series.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I said come in! posted:

Bioware should reboot Ultima as a new single player series.
/ Your father will be missed, Spark.
- lol your dad was brutally maimed and murdered.
\ [Feed Spark bread baked with his father's blood]

Speaking of single player, do EA games still have the requirement that there must be some multiplayer component? Do we know what that entails for DA3?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Talking about Ultima Forever or Lords of Ultima? I *think* Ultima Forever is still running, though it certainly didn't set the world on fire.

Ultima Forever and Lords of Ultima are still running. And speaking of Ultima, Ultima Online is still running and getting updates (Publish 85 as of November). :psyduck:

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

kissekatt posted:

Speaking of single player, do EA games still have the requirement that there must be some multiplayer component? Do we know what that entails for DA3?

They dropped that requirement in Deadspace 3 for micro transactions, I hope that you don't want to do anything with that keep you just built for the next 8 hours.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
No, DS3 has coop.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

kissekatt posted:

EA games still have that requirement to my knowledge and I have no idea what that means for Dragon Age 3.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Pretty sure a multiplayer component has been mentioned in a number of interviews and previews. No specifics, just that it's a thing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Maybe it'll be like the ME3 one and not suck.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Maybe it'll be like the ME3 one and not suck.

It'll be like Galaxy at War except you play as soldiers of the Inquisition fighting Demons, Blood Mages, and Red Templars.

edit:

And Darkspawn as later DLC

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 7, 2014

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Dan Didio posted:

With their current leadership? I have my doubts.
I think the talent is there for them to make a great DA or ME game, but they've made some awful strange decisions over the past few years. They've rolled an awful lot of ones in a row.

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010
I'd honestly pre-order the game the day it's allowed, if they release info saying the multiplayer is you and pals defending a castle / keep / whatever against enemies. I'm trying to remember what that gameplay is actually called but I'm coming up blank. I do remember my favorite version of it was way, way back on Warcraft 3. There was a custom map that was themed after Starship Troopers, using Starcraft models done in Wc3 engine, where you had to defend your little base against the bugs (zerglings mainly and other units). It was so awesome, you leveled up in the game and could spend points on your own damage, or defense, or a heal spell to use on self / others.

Mung Dynasty posted:

Pretty sure a multiplayer component has been mentioned in a number of interviews and previews. No specifics, just that it's a thing.

Sadly yeah, that's all they've said so far. There's a multiplayer thing. No details, no hints, nothing to go off on.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Cleatcleat posted:

I'd honestly pre-order the game the day it's allowed, if they release info saying the multiplayer is you and pals defending a castle / keep / whatever against enemies. I'm trying to remember what that gameplay is actually called but I'm coming up blank.

Tower defense, nowadays?

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010
I thought tower defense was setting up units / structures in maze like formations to kill things before they reach the objective / finish line? In the game I played you could move freely around, you had only yourself, no building structures or additional units. Hell probly is tower defense, all the terms and whatnot change.

vvv Yes that's it! It's the closer to what the custom map played out like. Horde mode.

Cleatcleat fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 7, 2014

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Isn't that Horde mode? You and a few others basically bunker down in a building and survive consecutive waves of enemies, while using money earned from kills to upgrade your equipment/skills/building fortifications.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
It's probably going to be like Horde mode. The enemy wave/round structure worked well in ME3 multiplayer, which had more longevity and fun than the base game. I'm hoping they can pull off something like that with Inquisition, but I'm not holding my breath.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

chami posted:

It's probably going to be like Horde mode. The enemy wave/round structure worked well in ME3 multiplayer, which had more longevity and fun than the base game. I'm hoping they can pull off something like that with Inquisition, but I'm not holding my breath.

I know a guy who only played ME3 multiplayer. I finally convinced him to try the actual campaign and he barely got up to the Mars mission before going back to multiplayer.

I think it could do well in DA3. Have your various Warrior-type characters with 2hand/sword-shield, Rogues with stealth-dagger/bow, Mages with ice/fire/lightning/control. Didn't Bioware make a killing off those multiplayer packs in ME3?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Eddain posted:

I know a guy who only played ME3 multiplayer. I finally convinced him to try the actual campaign and he barely got up to the Mars mission before going back to multiplayer.

I think it could do well in DA3. Have your various Warrior-type characters with 2hand/sword-shield, Rogues with stealth-dagger/bow, Mages with ice/fire/lightning/control. Didn't Bioware make a killing off those multiplayer packs in ME3?

I don't know if they've ever said how much money they made off of ME3 multiplayer but I could definitely see the template being applied successfully to Dragon Age. It would be more MMO or MOBA style raiding than Gears of War style horde mode but the same style of classes with restricted talent choices could be lifted pretty much wholesale. I'd try it out.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Dragon Age: Suikoden

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I think that the revamp to the battle system would have to be pretty impressive to justify adding anything like horde mode. I know nobody would ever bother to play with DAII's or, Maker help us, DAO's systems multiplayer without the option of pause.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

AngryBooch posted:

I don't know if they've ever said how much money they made off of ME3 multiplayer but I could definitely see the template being applied successfully to Dragon Age. It would be more MMO or MOBA style raiding than Gears of War style horde mode but the same style of classes with restricted talent choices could be lifted pretty much wholesale. I'd try it out.

I would play Wizard Horde Mode if they used Frostbite d2.0 so my fireball spells would blow out building walls.

in fact, who wouldn't play that?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Psion posted:

I would play Wizard Horde Mode if they used Frostbite d2.0 so my fireball spells would blow out building walls.

in fact, who wouldn't play that?

Only thing cooler would be playing a Force Mage and blowing a genlock through a wall.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
If mages are balanced like they were in the last game then when even the lowliest bandit just mimes a bat-swinging motion at one the mage gets sent sailing into the horizon.

This kills the mage.

e: Or stun-locks it.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 7, 2014

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Horde mode is the worst co-op mode to be added to co-op multiplayer in ages. It's the laziest god drat thing and gets boring way too fast (because of how lazy it is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I liked how Syndicate handled multiplayer. Four player coop missions. It was the best part of that game. More games need to follow suit instead of throwing in a half-assed horde mode.

• Locked thread