Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Oh man speaking of offbeat documentaries, I Like Killing Flies is up on streaming. I haven't seen it in forever when I had to get it through the DVD service, I didn't think they'd ever stream it. It's about cook/philosopher Kenny Shopsin, a small restaurant owner (he used to have this tiny hole in the wall place, I think it's moved and expanded since then) in New York City who cooks this giant, insane menu of crazy comfort food and expounds his theories about life and food while tossing people out for not following his strict regulations.

I love this movie, though the end is pretty sad. His wife dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I watched Oldboy on Netflix with my mom and sister over Christmas break. My mom's reaction: "well that was... bizarre." My sister: "it was... pretty interesting!"

Highly recommended.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
Is there a way to sort tv shows by what's been most recently added to Netflix, as opposed to what year the shows were released? It seems like a major oversight.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I just check Instantwatcher once a day and adjust my queue or make a mental note if anything good was added.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

showbiz_liz posted:

I watched Oldboy on Netflix with my mom and sister over Christmas break. My mom's reaction: "well that was... bizarre." My sister: "it was... pretty interesting!"

Highly recommended.

Sounds like your sister might be a little into you. :heysexy:

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

showbiz_liz posted:

Highly recommended.

Did they add the Korean language track? I know that is a super spergy complaint but that is how I saw it in the theater and I couldn't even make it past the police station scene when I tried to watch it on Netflix after they first added it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

owl_pellet posted:

Did they add the Korean language track? I know that is a super spergy complaint but that is how I saw it in the theater and I couldn't even make it past the police station scene when I tried to watch it on Netflix after they first added it.
They did thankfully, that's currently the only option actually, is to watch it with the original language track and English subtitles. I don't think it's a spergy complaint at all, dubbed language tracks are pretty terrible across the board.

Speaking of Korean movies, The Tower is streaming, it's a big budget disaster film of the likes I haven't seen in a while, it's pretty entertaining.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Any chance Netflix is going to start offering commentary tracks on other movies now that they put it on House of Cards? Not sure what the licensing etc would be but I would love it if shows like Futurama had their commentaries.

That's the main thing I miss going from DVDs to streaming.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sure, Netflix. That's a genre. Whatever floats your boat.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Here's a good article from The Atlantic about Netflix's ~75,000 algorithm-defined genres. Pretty interesting. Turns out that Netflix thinks that Perry Mason is super-important, and no one knows why, not even people at Netflix.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Sure, Netflix. That's a genre. Whatever floats your boat.

Clearly you've never sampled the many fine Bollywood films Netflix has to offer.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
All seasons of Dexter are up.

I love Netflix for tv shows but am getting annoyed at the lack of new movies.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

wormil posted:

All seasons of Dexter are up.

Regardless, stop after 4

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Jack Reacher was posted the other day, though it's almost a year old at this point,

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Opopanax posted:

Re: Dexter

Regardless, stop after 4

I feel like Dexter used up the best possible plot line in its first season. That's the best one; but Jon Lithgow piggybacks Season 4 into something great also. But I could really take or leave any other season.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Captain Lavender posted:

I feel like Dexter used up the best possible plot line in its first season. That's the best one; but Jon Lithgow piggybacks Season 4 into something great also. But I could really take or leave any other season.

I'm trying to slog through season eight and it's just... terrible. What a goddamn shame.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I enjoyed the season that is basically "Dexter and Jimmy Smitts: BFFS." I completely agree that the first season's plot was pretty great, and hard to top.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Jacob's Ladder just went up. Great psychological horror movie.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

A new season of Archer is about to start, any word on if they're going to add season 4 to Netflix?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This may be unsubstantiated but apparently they're going to add all of Friends and Seinfeld shortly

In The Bushes
Mar 4, 2012

Opopanax posted:

This may be unsubstantiated but apparently they're going to add all of Friends and Seinfeld shortly

Well there goes the rest of winter.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Opopanax posted:

Where did you hear this?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I think I've seen every episode of Seinfeld at least three times. Nonetheless, if it goes up on Netflix I will definitely be watching them all again.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tim Whatley posted:

Where did you hear this?

A guy on the radio. Hence the unsubstantiated thing.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Opopanax posted:

A guy on the radio. Hence the unsubstantiated thing.
I've been seeing a lot of "LOOK AT THE NEW STUFF COMING TO NETFLIX!!!1!!one!!" articles online for the last couple weeks.

One of them was crowing how great it was that Amelie was added to Netflix... I'm pretty sure it's been there for at least the 5 years I've had a netflix instant account, it was on my instant queue for a year or two but I never got around to watching it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

coyo7e posted:

I've been seeing a lot of "LOOK AT THE NEW STUFF COMING TO NETFLIX!!!1!!one!!" articles online for the last couple weeks.

One of them was crowing how great it was that Amelie was added to Netflix... I'm pretty sure it's been there for at least the 5 years I've had a netflix instant account, it was on my instant queue for a year or two but I never got around to watching it.

Amelie is the best and you should watch it immediately.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

kazil posted:

Amelie is the best and you should watch it immediately.

Seriously, do this. I'm not a fan of romantic films, generally, but this movie is just magical, and Audrey Tautou is the most adorable thing on earth.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm well aware that it's excellent, I just haven't been in the right frame of mind for that kind of movie for a while. :(

I'd way rather see people in latex monster suits chase bad actors around the woods, I guess.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

So is there a list of some of the new stuff? I watched Jacobs ladder and loved it but I want to know if there is anything else quality.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Just check instantwatcher every couple days.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

coyo7e posted:

I'm well aware that it's excellent, I just haven't been in the right frame of mind for that kind of movie for a while. :(

I'm never in the frame of mind for that type of movie but I was flipping through channels a few years back and watched a couple minutes which hooked me for the whole thing.

edit: I've had Amazon Prime for a few months and now understand why no one talks about it, it has poo poo all for movies and TV. Now that the holidays are over I think I'll drop it.

wormil has a new favorite as of 09:32 on Jan 7, 2014

shahadien
Jan 5, 2014

American Mary: http://movies.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movieid=70261774&trkid=7852267&t=American+Mary

An absolutely twisted movie that you just can't turn away from. It's one of the coolest female anti-hero stories I've ever seen.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

shahadien posted:

American Mary: http://movies.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movieid=70261774&trkid=7852267&t=American+Mary

An absolutely twisted movie that you just can't turn away from. It's one of the coolest female anti-hero stories I've ever seen.

I like twisted movies, especially on nights when I can't sleep, so this was a great way to pass the time.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

shahadien posted:

This movie has an interesting premise but pretty clearly runs out of steam halfway.

For anyone interested, the movie is about a young woman who is in school to become a surgeon. Things happen and she actually ends up joining the extreme body modification world. Some weird, sick poo poo happens that is pretty gruesome, but it's really intriguing.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

wormil posted:

edit: I've had Amazon Prime for a few months and now understand why no one talks about it, it has poo poo all for movies and TV. Now that the holidays are over I think I'll drop it.

It has Justified. What else would you need?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

ExCruceLeo posted:

It has Justified. What else would you need?

When does that show get good? We watched the first 2 episodes and weren't really hooked at all.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Oldstench posted:

When does that show get good? We watched the first 2 episodes and weren't really hooked at all.

I dunno, about half way through season 1 I think, but you can't really skip any of the early episodes either.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Oldstench posted:

The... fourth episode, I think, was fantastic. The one with the dentist. The actual story arc picks up in the back half of the season. It's just got some beginning jitters, especially since Boyd isn't in the first couple episodes too much since he was supposed to die in the pilot.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The one thing that is nice about Amazon's service is that Comcast doesn't seem to throttle it the way they do with Netflix. Watching the same program, Netflix will sit and take several minutes to load at 2 bars, Amazon will load it in HD in about 5 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Some good Travel Channel stuff on Amazon Prime, too. Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, old episodes of Samantha Brown. Plenty of old-school Nickelodeon shows. Mister Rogers' Neighborhood for when the world becomes too much.

Kids in the Hall Season 1 moved to Amazon now.

• Locked thread