Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Ordered myself a 105mm/2.8 macro from Sigma. Hope this wasn't a mistake, because Sigma and all. Spring blossoms can come!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Better brand than canon or nikon atm.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Pentax released yet another hilarious lens. Even PentaxReviews can't sound too excited about it.

Pentax-DA Ltd 20-40mm f/2.8-4

Pro:
  • Compact
  • Weather sealing
  • Metal barrel, general build quality

Cons:
  • Lens isn't sharp until f/4 at 20mm and f/8 (:lol:) at 40mm
  • Corners never really sharpen up
  • Strong vignetting
  • Low contrast at 40mm
  • Small zoom range (30-60mm equivalent)
  • Small aperture
  • Costs $999, as much as a pro zoom lens like a Sigma 18-35, Canon 24-105, etc

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pro:
  • Really small lens.

Cons:
  • The optics suck.

Dear Pentax: Great cameras. However, you don't really get this lens thing, do you? I know things in Japan are different (and I have learned everything one needs to know about Japan from very good books such at this one: http://www.amazon.com/How-Good-bye-Depression-Constrict-Everyday/dp/0595094724), but this is getting a bit silly. Size ain't everything!

Samyang lenses, here I come! :kimchi:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pentax released yet another hilarious lens. Even PentaxReviews can't sound too excited about it.

Pro:
  • Compact
  • Weather sealing
  • Metal barrel, general build quality

Cons:
  • Lens isn't sharp until f/4 at 20mm and f/8 (:lol:) at 40mm
  • Corners never really sharpen up
  • Strong vignetting
  • Low contrast at 40mm
  • Small zoom range (30-60mm equivalent)
  • Small aperture

oth that is probably the best looking lens anyone is making today

like a vintage takumar, :krad:

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Despair posted:

oth that is probably the best looking lens anyone is making today

like a vintage takumar, :krad:

Fair enough. It is kinda pretty.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That lens looks hideous. Also $1K...

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I like the range and size but not for a loving grand.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Startyde posted:

I like the range and size but not for a loving grand.

Congrats Pentax, you re-created the horrible 35-80 that came with the N8008 and made it a stop faster and with less zoom range.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That lens looks hideous. Also $1K...

i'm sorry you hate good looking lenses

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Mr. Despair posted:

i'm sorry you hate good looking lenses

If it's not radioactive, it's not a real Takumar :bahgawd:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Helicity posted:

If it's not radioactive, it's not a real Takumar :bahgawd:

The 35/3.5 was so good it didn't need thorium doping to be amazing :colbert:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
So, dumb question - how can I tell if I got a bad copy of a lens? I ordered a nikon 50mm f/1.4D from KEH a while back (I'm way out of the return window) to replace my broken f/1.8D (stupid baby), and everything I shot with it looked really soft compared to both the broken f/1.8 and another f/1.8D I got to use in place of the 1.4 over the holidays. The f/1.4 looked soft compared to two of my other lenses as well (a nikon 80-200 af-s and a tokina 100mm (?) macro). I visually inspected the glass and the diaphragm and everything looks fine to me.

I guess my question is, how can I tell that I'm not being crazy and confirm that there is something actually wrong with the lens? Are there any tests I can run?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Sigma announced a new 50mm 1.4 Art. If its anywhere near as good as their 35 1.4 is supposed to be, this should absolutely crush it out of the park.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

gvibes posted:

I guess my question is, how can I tell that I'm not being crazy and confirm that there is something actually wrong with the lens? Are there any tests I can run?

A simple test?
Put camera on tripod, find some ruled paper or similar thing with a simple pattern, place the patterned thing at an angle to the camera (so the lines would become diagonal in the photo), focus somewhere in the middle of the pattern, take pictures at all the apertures.
Afterwards inspect all the pictures 1:1, if there's anywhere along the depth axis the pictures are sufficiently sharp it would point to autofocus being miscalibrated. If it isn't sharp anywhere at any aperture, then the lens may be bad. If it's an AF calibration issue, the newer higher-end bodies have an option for AF micro adjust you can try to use.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Sigma announced a new 50mm 1.4 Art. If its anywhere near as good as their 35 1.4 is supposed to be, this should absolutely crush it out of the park.
I can't wait to see them embarass first parties from everyone.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

I sense some price decreases coming on the Zeiss Otus 55/1.4 :unsmigghh:

theloafingone
Mar 8, 2006
no images are allowed, only text

Awesome news! I've been waiting for quite a while for this! If it performs anywhere near their 35mm, I won't even wait for Canon's new 50.

Edit: The fact that it's a complete re-design rather than just adding USB dock functionality is really promising as well.

theloafingone fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 7, 2014

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
This is a weird question. I have a little compact tripod, about 2 feet all folded together (it collapses, standard affair). It came with a little tube sleeve thing made out of fabric that had a sling so you could slip the tripod into the sleve and then sling it on your back.

However I lent it to a friend and he returned it sans sleeve, saying he had lost it. It was really useful for carrying around on trips and all that, so I was wondering, anyone know of any good cheap sleves for sale?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

nielsm posted:

A simple test?
Put camera on tripod, find some ruled paper or similar thing with a simple pattern, place the patterned thing at an angle to the camera (so the lines would become diagonal in the photo), focus somewhere in the middle of the pattern, take pictures at all the apertures.
Afterwards inspect all the pictures 1:1, if there's anywhere along the depth axis the pictures are sufficiently sharp it would point to autofocus being miscalibrated. If it isn't sharp anywhere at any aperture, then the lens may be bad. If it's an AF calibration issue, the newer higher-end bodies have an option for AF micro adjust you can try to use.
Thanks, I just printed out some random test pattern I found online, and it looks like my lens is broke. Dammit.

50mm f/1.4D (at f/1.8) on the left, 50mm f/1.8D (at f/1.8) on the right

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

gvibes posted:

Thanks, I just printed out some random test pattern I found online, and it looks like my lens is broke. Dammit.

50mm f/1.4D (at f/1.8) on the left, 50mm f/1.8D (at f/1.8) on the right

Yeah when I had a 50 1.4 it was "just as good" at 1.8 and "wildly better" at f/2 compared to the 50 1.8. Something's hosed up there.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Goddamn, finally. I've been using a nifty fifty for 2 years because there hasn't been an obvious upgrade choice until now. Just got a Sigma 35, and it's incredible.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nice. I wish they would have widened it, tho, like f1.2.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Geez it took this long for someone to finally make a dope 50.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

terriyaki posted:

Geez it took this long for someone to finally make a dope 50.

Uhmm the Canon 50mm 1.2 is dope as heck :colbert:
If you've got like... a thousand euro to spend on a prime.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nice. I wish they would have widened it, tho, like f1.2.
Yeah because what we need is for primes to get heavier.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Uhmm the Canon 50mm 1.2 is dope as heck :colbert:
If you've got like... a thousand euro to spend on a prime.

Yeah but that lens has the whole focus shift issue or whatever.

I guess I shouldn't jump the gun and call this new 50 dope quite yet. It could have focus shift issues too.

And technically there was also the EF 1.0 L but it's no longer being produced and goes for $4-5K used.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah because what we need is for primes to get heavier.
Do you even lift, bro? I doubt it'd get that much annoyingly heavier.

That other company called Handevision is making wiiiiiide open lenses for the various mirrorless systems. Maybe they'll venture into DSLRs and release something large aperture 50mm. They currently have a 40mm/0.85.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Do you even lift, bro? I doubt it'd get that much annoyingly heavier.
Look at the difference between canon's 1.4 and 1.2.

If anything I'd want 1.8 and stabilization over 1.4 or 1.2

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Canon could definitely do with updating the 50 1.8 II, I haven't touched mine since the 40 2.8 came out, the colour reproduction seems much better on the 40. I don't know how that even makes sense but damnit that's how it is.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Canon could definitely do with updating the 50 1.8 II, I haven't touched mine since the 40 2.8 came out, the colour reproduction seems much better on the 40. I don't know how that even makes sense but damnit that's how it is.

40/2.8 is a sweet little lens. I used it all day on xmas, and I agree the color reproduction is fantastic. It also "pops" like crazy, which I was not expecting for a lens that is not that fast.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
You can even use the 40mm 2.8 for birding

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Is anyone excited about Tamron's new 150-600? $1069 seems too good to be true unless I'm missing something. I love my Tamron 70-300 and wouldn't mind throwing a few more bucks their way.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Is anyone excited about Tamron's new 150-600? $1069 seems too good to be true unless I'm missing something. I love my Tamron 70-300 and wouldn't mind throwing a few more bucks their way.

That is one hell of a range and it's rare to see glass be good when the range is that wide. That said, being able to close down to f/40 is neat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can't wait to read reviews on it because the numbers sure look good.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

DJExile posted:

That is one hell of a range and it's rare to see glass be good when the range is that wide. That said, being able to close down to f/40 is neat.

Not to be a pendant, but that's actually less range than the 70-300. (4.0x VS 4.2x zoom)
Also I dunno where I heard this, but I remember hearing that making a good tele is somewhat easier than making a good wide angle lens. Guess we'd have to wait for the reviews / test-chart spergs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some shots with the lens here:

http://www.dcfever.com/lens/viewsamples.php?set=951&picture=10213

Site is slower than hell but it has full size jpegs.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
$15 got me:

-The camera in LIKE NEW condition
-Two like new flash cubes in box
-Instruction manual
-Carrying case in amazing condition
-And WORKING loving FILM still in packaging

http://minus.com/i/bmeHYD8NKElm7

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

xzzy posted:

Some shots with the lens here:

http://www.dcfever.com/lens/viewsamples.php?set=951&picture=10213

Site is slower than hell but it has full size jpegs.

Need a test shot to see that it retains f/5.6 @ 400mm and also for benchmarking against the current 100-400mm and 400mmL prime. Seems to vignette a good bit at 600 but that is to be expected. Really a great deal for the full frame guys since they shouldn't give a poo poo about high-iso anymore and the 300mm on 70-300mm zooms just isn't that long on FF. And for the crop guys, welp, enjoy your new sniper rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Seamonster posted:

And for the crop guys, welp, enjoy your new sniper rifle.

Pew pew. Time to start saving couch change.

Edit: tbf though I'm not sure if the Nikon one will have an internal AF motor. Might be time to put my tired 3100 to bed. :(

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 14, 2014