Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Oasx posted:

Has he really absorbed any powers? The super hearing i understood as a latent Grimm thing that just surfaced. Everything else seems to come from his weird semi-undead state, at that seems to do with the zombie cure having a strange effect on him.

The super hearing came as a result of him getting infected by the Wesen who causes eyes to blow up with worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I don't think its a power absorption so much as the ability to adapt. What doesn't kill him makes him stronger literally.

It makes me wonder if traditional Grimms don't intentionally break their children's legs so their arms become stronger etc...

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm thinking that dire circumstances are causing his Grimm Powers to activate. Presumably, House Grimms are subject to training and conditioning. Nick, on the other hand, is just being randomly kicked around until this or that flicks on.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Oasx posted:

Has he really absorbed any powers?

No, you're right, he isn't Mega Man. Though it never really rang that true to me that being able to see wesen was sufficient to match them.

There are a lot of them who don't give a poo poo about being secretive, and meanwhile they're bear people who can rip a person in half. That Nick can fight them at all suggests he's strong as hell...which you'd think he'd notice day to day. By benching 600 pounds or something.

I'd love to see some other, medieval as gently caress Grimms pop up to show what that's like. They're supposed to utterly terrify wesen, and Nick's mom or aunt didn't really sell the idea.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xealot posted:

No, you're right, he isn't Mega Man. Though it never really rang that true to me that being able to see wesen was sufficient to match them.

There are a lot of them who don't give a poo poo about being secretive, and meanwhile they're bear people who can rip a person in half. That Nick can fight them at all suggests he's strong as hell...which you'd think he'd notice day to day. By benching 600 pounds or something.

I'd love to see some other, medieval as gently caress Grimms pop up to show what that's like. They're supposed to utterly terrify wesen, and Nick's mom or aunt didn't really sell the idea.

It seems that a Grimm's abilities only kick in when required. Nick has fought ordinary humans and shown no sign of having the same strength as when he fights wesen, and his aunt was as weak as you'd expect a dying woman to be until she was attacked.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Jedit posted:

It seems that a Grimm's abilities only kick in when required. Nick has fought ordinary humans and shown no sign of having the same strength as when he fights wesen, and his aunt was as weak as you'd expect a dying woman to be until she was attacked.

So if the healer wesen tried to irradiate Nick, his cells would have maybe become resistant to radiation...?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

ImpulseDrive posted:

I was OK with Hitler as a Wesen because it was tied into the Coin arc. It did a good job of showing what could happen to one if left under the influence of those things.

Beyond that, it's a slippery slope. So far, the show's suggested that Wesen are rare compared to humanity, and it'd be nice if it staid that way. Having more and more major historical figures outed as Wesen begins to border on the absurd.

Alvarez IV posted:

I'm fine with them using Rasputin as a Wesen because the man himself still has that mystical sort of bent to his legend. Hitler was just a prick and JFK a sex addict, those aren't notable enough traits that you have to be inhuman to achieve them. Rasputin allegedly being unkillable and having a life so shrouded in mystery makes it all a little more palatable.

Jedit posted:

I don't know about that. The people we remember are the people who stand out, and many Wesen have abilities that most definitely make them stand out. As such, it makes sense that Wesen will be more common among famous people than they are in the general population. It's especially plausible that famous leaders could be Wesen, as we've seen several species of Wesen who have exceptional charisma.

I really like it when they do this. It really emphasises that the Wesen traits are far more than skin deep. They tie a lot of 'great men of history' to wesen, but they tie wesen to more mundane things too; it's heavily hinted that heroes from war are often taureus-armenta, coyotls seem to be trailer trash, daemonfeuer's end up as infantry with flamethrowers or flame dancers, etc. The wesen, with a few notable exceptions (monroe, the spider lady who was aging quickly) don't escape being a product of who they are. I think it would make sense that charismatic wesen would rise to prominence.

I figure a bit of the stereotypical nature of these (JFK liked chasing tail, therefore..) is just a product of it being a fictional story and stories often full of archetypes :shrug: Can't really expect perfection I suppose.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I think they overdo it, though. At this rate, the only normal humans will be boring white people who read Better Homes and Gardens and shop at Banana Republic. Everyone else will have superpowers or something cool going on.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Accretionist posted:

I think they overdo it, though. At this rate, the only normal humans will be boring white people who read Better Homes and Gardens and shop at Banana Republic. Everyone else will have superpowers or something cool going on.

Hank is a closet wesen :ssh:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

Hank is a closet wesen :ssh:

If this keeps up, it's going to happen. There'll be an episode where it's revealed that everyone has latent Wessen-ness which can be brought out by some magic thinger (except boring white people, who are boring white people through and through).

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The only human is Sgt. Wu.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

PureRok posted:

The only human is Sgt. Wu.

Can't be. Wu is neither white nor boring.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Accretionist posted:

If this keeps up

There really hasn't been that many famous humans they've made Wessen. Not to mention the fact there are a poo poo ton of "famous humans" out there, they have plenty to choose from while leaving lots of humans left over.

I also don't care that Nick is always running into Wessen. If I wanted to watch a cop deal with humans I'd watch Law and Order. I want crazy fairy tales. Not to mention I'm assuming that Nick and Hank work a lot of cases we don't see that are perfectly normal and boring. Which is why we don't see them.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's like Doctor Who, we only see when he goes on wacky adventures, but 90% of the time, the cool exotic planet 50.000 years in the future, is actually just that. It just wouldn't make for very exiting tv.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
There was a truly awesome show on in the 1980s called Airwolf, which was named for the title vehicle, a highly advanced helicopter gunship. Look it up if you want the backstory.

In this program the heroes would almost always encounter villains armed with stuff that could reasonably challenge Airwolf, such as jet fighters, rocket launchers and, of course, one and usually more other helicopter gunships. If I can watch that and think it's awesome, I am completely okay with the idea that there is a greater than normal concentration of Wesen, especially rare Wesen, in and around the Portland area.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

johntfs posted:

There was a truly awesome show on in the 1980s called Airwolf, which was named for the title vehicle, a highly advanced helicopter gunship. Look it up if you want the backstory.

In this program the heroes would almost always encounter villains armed with stuff that could reasonably challenge Airwolf, such as jet fighters, rocket launchers and, of course, one and usually more other helicopter gunships. If I can watch that and think it's awesome, I am completely okay with the idea that there is a greater than normal concentration of Wesen, especially rare Wesen, in and around the Portland area.

Loony Theory: Portland was founded by Wesen as a place for Wesen, and that's why so many of them congregate there.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

johntfs posted:

Fun Airwolf trivia: Bryan Cranston met his wife on Airwolf, because he had a role as a hostage taker. She was the hostage.

Always found that kind of amusing. Also, Goddamn that 80s had catchy theme songs. Outside of Game of Thrones I can't think of many shows themes that I'd ever hum from the last two decades but just try to get Airwolf's theme out of your head.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The thought of people not knowing what Airwolf is, makes me feel very old. And I agree, Airwolf had an amazing theme, so did Knight rider.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Jedit posted:

Loony Theory: Portland was founded by Wesen as a place for Wesen, and that's why so many of them congregate there.

My theory from the first thread, was that the Captain was building a Wesen Casablanca away from the machinations of the Families.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Oasx posted:

The thought of people not knowing what Airwolf is, makes me feel very old. And I agree, Airwolf had an amazing theme, so did Knight rider.

They were both Glen A Larson shows, weren't they? All his shows had great memorable theme music.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's also just the fact that Portland is weird and would likely attract characters.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008

Oasx posted:

I remember watching crossover episodes of Magnum PI and Simon & Simon as a kid. It would have been awesome to see an Airwolf\Knight Rider\A-Team three parter back then.

Ghost Who Walks
Jul 15, 2005

High Five.
Bangalla style.
I don't recall JFK being mentioned as Wesen. What episode was this in?

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Ghost Who Walks posted:

I don't recall JFK being mentioned as Wesen. What episode was this in?

When they reviewed the Grimm books for Ziegevolk info - http://grimm.wikia.com/wiki/Ziegevolk - probably the one with the guy and the hotel.

"Ziegevolk (Bluebeard) are goat-like creatures that were first identified in the Kitzbuhel Alps (south of Rattenberg) in 1895. Their skin releases powerful pheromones that attract and subdue people. This ability is enhanced when they eat Sonoran Desert toads, which make the pheromones even more pungent. Zeigevolks are most dangerous when on the prowl to spread their seed. Famous Ziegevolks include Giacomo Casanova (1725-1798), Frank Sinatra (1915-1998) and John F. Kennedy (1917-1963). The power Ziegevolks have over women is all-consuming; once in the presence of a Ziegevolk, any woman is completely at its mercy."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Good episode. I liked that the healer was genuinely trying to redeem himself, to the point of sacrificing his life to heal the woman who tried to murder him. I also liked how his interrogation was handled Nick and Reeynard told him that they knew he killed the assassin with radiation, but they let the healer go, it was self-defense of a sort.

Reynard seems to be trying to recruit Adalind back to his side, which could turn out interesting.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
I expected Europe plot to last much longer--it basically turned into meeting time/Renard peaces back to Portland next episode.

I wonder what happens when Juliette's friend finds out about the Grimm sharing the same house. Should be entertaining.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
That is one mean-looking otter-person. Also AAAAAAAUUUUGH RADIATION BOILS!!!!!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Was it just me or did the abusive husband kinda look like Monroe? When we first saw him i was confused for a second, because they look quite alike when seeing them from the side.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Reynard seems to be trying to recruit Adalind back to his side, which could turn out interesting.

I'm sure he's smart enough to never ever trust her. He's also right, she's a small fish in an ocean full of sharks over there trying to pull off what she's doing. I forget, did he even broach the topic of the baby daddy?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

KilGrey posted:

I'm sure he's smart enough to never ever trust her. He's also right, she's a small fish in an ocean full of sharks over there trying to pull off what she's doing. I forget, did he even broach the topic of the baby daddy?

She asked if he thought the baby was his, he asked if it was, then they both kind of left it at that. I think Renard knows she was sleeping with his brother, so he probably figures one of them is the father.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
New episode tonight:

3x10 – "Eyes of the Beholder"
Nick and Hank find themselves in the middle of a street gang war fueled by Wesen motives.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Blazing Ownager posted:

Fun Airwolf trivia: Bryan Cranston met his wife on Airwolf, because he had a role as a hostage taker. She was the hostage.

Always found that kind of amusing. Also, Goddamn that 80s had catchy theme songs. Outside of Game of Thrones I can't think of many shows themes that I'd ever hum from the last two decades but just try to get Airwolf's theme out of your head.

I loved that they would choreograph the dogfights to the theme song so that when that last da-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-nuh, Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-nuh, na-na-na-NUH something got blown the gently caress to hell right on that last NUH.

And the mention of Bryan Cranston makes me long for full mash-up. Malcom in the Middle of Breaking Airwolf.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Haha. He drives an impala. Let's see if they are antelope people or just humans.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
So it's possible to be wesen and not know it?

EDIT: YAAAY CELLO-ING RETURNS!

"Act naturally!"

*Stands rigid like a statue*

....Sorry, what was that about Juliette not being awesome?

Astrofig fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 11, 2014

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Do not anger Juliette in her kitchen. She will full-on gently caress your world up.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
drat. I was wrong. It was either product placement or a misdirect.

Did anyone else notice that the majority of Juliette's moves were straight out of women's self-defense classes? Or at least the ones that they focused on? That was actually pretty awesome and is a pretty good excuse for knowing how to fight.

johntfs posted:

Do not anger Juliette in her kitchen. She will full-on gently caress your world up.

Bored fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 11, 2014

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Bored posted:

drat. I was wrong. It was either product placement or a misdirect.

Did anyone else notice that the majority of Juliette's moves were straight out of women's self-defense classes? Or at least the ones that they focused on? That was actually pretty awesome and is a pretty good excuse for knowing how to fight.

I was wondering about that, yeah. I wanna think it was mentioned at some point long ago, maybe around the time she went shooting with Nick? I may be imagining things.

Also I was kinda hoping the kid and his sister would turn out to be normal humans, oh well we got cello tunes :allears:

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.

Capn Beeb posted:

Also I was kinda hoping the kid and his sister would turn out to be normal humans, oh well we got cello tunes :allears:

My wife and I were also hoping they'd just be bog standard humans, but I guess the theme of this episode was "Wesen are generally not comfortable being open around humans" even though we know from Monroe that it does sometimes happen, and the thing with Juliette's roommate wasn't enough.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I loved that they didn't go with normal fight choreography for Juliette. Whether intended or not, it felt like good characterization. I can just imagine her in a Women's Self Defense class taking notes about how when confronted by a larger opponent, attack the sensitive areas: eyes, ears, throat and groin and jotting down useful phrases such as, "Get out of my house!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Astrofig posted:

"Act naturally!"

*Stands rigid like a statue*

....Sorry, what was that about Juliette not being awesome?

This was pretty great. Also I totally should have seen the physical therapist being wesen, why else would that have a scene during the previous episode.

• Locked thread