Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

kastein posted:

14 Inch's thread just reminded me.

I get to drive home on black ice tonight! Yesterday: 40s and melting all the snow, today: 50s and raining hard, tonight/tomorrow: single digits! :haw:

And I have to be somewhere at 6 so this is going to be during peak commuting hours.

Just kill me now :suicide:

Chains or studs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
So many of my facebook friends (actually one. 1 many) are complaining about driving in snow. One girl said "I had the speedo at 160 and it didn't unstick itself! I thought a Beemer was supposed to be quality!". Jesus christ.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Did you tell her that it's spelled Bimmer?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Vindolanda posted:

So many of my facebook friends (actually one. 1 many) are complaining about driving in snow. One girl said "I had the speedo at 160 and it didn't unstick itself! I thought a Beemer was supposed to be quality!". Jesus christ.

So she had no traction on ice and the car was eating itself as her car looked like a dog dragging its rear end on the ground? Smart friends. Smart facebook.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Cakefool posted:

Chains or studs?

Are we talking about winter traction aids or sexual preferences here?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, if BMW's were actually quality cars they would have claws that extend from the tires to get it out of a hole, like those toy monster trucks they made in the 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W4MYJt8c4w

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Did you tell her that it's spelled Bimmer?
Oh God, I thought that nonsense died years ago.

kastein posted:

Are we talking about winter traction aids or sexual preferences here?
You do know a lot about suspension.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

InitialDave posted:

Oh God, I thought that nonsense died years ago.

You don't know anybody who rides a beemer, eh?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Brigdh posted:

I don't believe it. Please submit evidence to back up your outlandish claim :)

I didn't take photos, but I imagine the being pulled over part is because they were driving really lovely, presumably due to their lack of visibility.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

clutchpuck posted:

She was Canadian. I can't understand it. I've driven pretty much everything in pretty much every amount of ice and snow. Just.. just don't put the hammer down? It's not like impressing girls in summer, in fact it's the opposite - in winter movement comes before noise, in terms of importance.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

xzzy posted:

Yeah, if BMW's were actually quality cars they would have claws that extend from the tires to get it out of a hole, like those toy monster trucks they made in the 90's.

My Nostalgometer just redlined and I'm so happy you posted this.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Smoke posted:

Fresh from the Belgian news:
These are the rear end in a top hat drivers others share a road with.

Police is apparently already investigating this and they know who it was.

Man drives a van on the highway, passes a truck and is cut off by someone in a BMW, who then decides to make some dangerous moves.

Im glad noones tried that poo poo on me in the Toyota... the brakes are definitely not good enough to haul up 3500kg that well at freeway speeds.

gently caress it would be funny when the bullbar destroyed the arse of the BMW though

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Nice job, dingus, now someone has your license plate AND video of you being a dipshit.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

I ride a beemer and the cars are bimmers. It's a very important distinction because reasons :colbert:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I was late for a doctors appointment today because the lot was completely full. Well almost full.

When I drove to the other side I found this.

gently caress you. Just because there is some snow in the spot doesn't mean you get both. If either car was all the way in the clear spot I would have no problem fitting my Fiesta. Even if I was in my truck I could just drive into the snow a bit. Actually if I had my truck today I would have still parked next to the Volvo. Just put it in 4WD and pull up into the snow a few inches from the driver side.

A spot opened up next to a BMW X5 with what looked like nearly bald summer tires in the middle of winter.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

InterceptorV8 posted:

How about when it goes from single lane to passing lane and the fucker that was doing 50 is now doing 75 so you can't pass in the safe passing zone, and then they drop back down to 50 when it's two lane again.

This won me an involuntary $150 donation to the State Police a few weeks back. I was behind a Ford Escape that was doing anywhere from +5 over the speed limit to -10 under seemingly randomly (use your cruise control people I know you have it) and when my side of the highway opened up to two lanes I threw it down a gear and booted it past the guy...

...right when a state trooper comes over the hill in the other lane. I must have got his attention because he threw on the anchors and flipped a bitch right there. I knew he had me so I dropped back behind the Escape and pulled over. I'm sure the Escape driver was amused, at least.

71 in a 55. :suicide: loving stupid and I was surprised myself. I usually cruise at around 60, I promise.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had a chat with a state trooper last summer for the same reason, mountain road, some cowboy in his pickup drifting between five over and ten under. I put up with it until a passing chance opened up, out my foot down and as soon as I crossed lanes I saw the cruiser about a quarter mile ahead. He pulled over, let me pass, then flipped on the roof lights.

He must've liked my story because I got off with a warning,

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

The whole bimmer/beemer thing is :spergin: of the highest order, to the point someone from BMW marketing had to issue a statement about it. I do find BMW riders to be better/more courteous overall as motorcyclists go, but I suspect that may be a result of the fact that most of their bikes are touring bikes.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

xzzy posted:

I had a chat with a state trooper last summer for the same reason, mountain road, some cowboy in his pickup drifting between five over and ten under. I put up with it until a passing chance opened up, out my foot down and as soon as I crossed lanes I saw the cruiser about a quarter mile ahead. He pulled over, let me pass, then flipped on the roof lights.

He must've liked my story because I got off with a warning,

Yeah the guy was kind of a dick to be honest* but eh 16 over is a bit much. Lesson learned. :shobon:

Actually after I drove off some guy in a Mazda 3 flew past me and next thing I know the same trooper was whipping around me to pull him over. He was really working that particular stretch of highway that day I guess.

*He had asked me if I knew how fast I was going and before I could form an answer/excuse he told me the guy I was passing was doing 61 so I didn't need to pass him since he was already doing over the speed limit. I'm not sure what the radar/lidar technology is these days but I didn't know they could tag two oncoming vehicles within a second or two.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 7, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

Too bad that tire company with retractable studs seemed to vanish.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Previa_fun posted:

I'm not sure what the radar/lidar technology is these days but I didn't know they could tag two oncoming vehicles within a second or two.

Laser is line of sight, only limitation is how quickly the officer can put the pip on your car and pull the trigger. Everything else operates at the speed of light.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Not quite, it takes a couple milliseconds because it's actually usually a rangefinder that checks your distance a few times and then calculates the speed you were traveling. But it's still drat fast, and they can pick out an individual car at a surprising range.

There may be some out there that operate on the same doppler effect principle as radar, but the frequency delta is much much more difficult to distinguish at those frequencies and requires fairly expensive optics and such.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I think you'd have to be going a bit faster to make a LIDAR system based on relativistic blueshift relevant

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, I was curious and ran the numbers... at even 100mph (Z = approx. 3.33x10^-7) the red/blueshift is going to be well below 1nm. Unless you're using a special optical mixer to combine the local oscillator (laser) output and the reflected signal to find the beat frequency, you're pretty much hosed, and I'm not sure it's possible to temperature/voltage compensate a laser well enough to maintain wavelength within 1nm even so.

So there's absolutely no way any production LIDAR gun is Doppler based, it's entirely time/distance calculation. You still aren't going to be able to beat it without a jammer, and those are typically frowned upon.

e: at 224k miles per hour, the wavelength shift is 0.2nm, good loving luck measuring that :v:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kastein posted:

Yeah, I was curious and ran the numbers... at even 100mph (Z = approx. 3.33x10^-7) the red/blueshift is going to be well below 1nm. Unless you're using a special optical mixer to combine the local oscillator (laser) output and the reflected signal to find the beat frequency, you're pretty much hosed, and I'm not sure it's possible to temperature/voltage compensate a laser well enough to maintain wavelength within 1nm even so.

So there's absolutely no way any production LIDAR gun is Doppler based, it's entirely time/distance calculation. You still aren't going to be able to beat it without a jammer, and those are typically frowned upon.

e: at 224k miles per hour, the wavelength shift is 0.2nm, good loving luck measuring that :v:

I don't think it's done with the raw frequency of the beam, you can do doppler measurements on a pulsed beam by measuring the frequency of pulses coming back. I don't know how they actually implement it (probably with poorly checked floating point math), but it's possible to do doppler measurements.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why flat black paint is popular, no reflections means they can't bounce a laser off you right? :downs:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

EightBit posted:

I don't think it's done with the raw frequency of the beam, you can do doppler measurements on a pulsed beam by measuring the frequency of pulses coming back. I don't know how they actually implement it (probably with poorly checked floating point math), but it's possible to do doppler measurements.

I don't think it works that way, but my general relativity is too rusty to tell you for sure, much like my vehicles.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

xzzy posted:

That's why flat black paint is popular, no reflections means they can't bounce a laser off you right? :downs:

This is actually what rednecks believe.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Well it worked on an F-117, why not an F-350?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
License plates and headlight reflectors reflect light very well, as intended, fancy flat paint notwithstanding.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Mercury Ballistic posted:

License plates and headlight reflectors reflect light very well, as intended, fancy flat paint notwithstanding.

Not if you smoke them! :downs:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The policeman still has to aim the thing, which is why lower and pointier cars without front plates are theoretically harder to zap, why bikes are even harder, and why I make a point of changing lanes every 26 seconds

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

So there's absolutely no way any production LIDAR gun is Doppler based, it's entirely time/distance calculation.

Yep, this. My speeding ticket was laser and they even print out the distance they busted you at on it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

The policeman still has to aim the thing, which is why lower and pointier cars without front plates are theoretically harder to zap, why bikes are even harder, and why I make a point of changing lanes every 26 seconds

Aiming optional these days.. most cruisers around me have little white tubes mounted at the front and rear window which I assume passively clock the speed of anyone directly ahead or behind the car. I don't know what tech they use but once those started showing up I saw many fewer parked cops pointing a lidar gun at traffic.

edit - after googling it a bit they're just radar systems

xzzy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 7, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yep, this. My speeding ticket was laser and they even print out the distance they busted you at on it.

680 feet. I will remember that forever (loving 72 in a 70 goddamned motherfuckers gently caress bitch poo poo gently caress)

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
You can keep getting tickets, or buy a LIDAR jammer once :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Parking talk:

I have a tiny car, if I park straight in a space there is always about a 2ft gap to the lines each side. I know the paint is looking a bit past it, but there's no excuse for the 20+ marks on each side where some moron has let their door swing into mine. :argh:

It sucks when I park my motorcycle in the middle of a spot and I come out to find someone parked half way into my spot... it sucks further when I stand the bike up to get it out of the spot and my metal bar end weights gouge their doors.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Previa_fun posted:

This won me an involuntary $150 donation to the State Police a few weeks back. I was behind a Ford Escape that was doing anywhere from +5 over the speed limit to -10 under seemingly randomly (use your cruise control people I know you have it) and when my side of the highway opened up to two lanes I threw it down a gear and booted it past the guy...

...right when a state trooper comes over the hill in the other lane. I must have got his attention because he threw on the anchors and flipped a bitch right there. I knew he had me so I dropped back behind the Escape and pulled over. I'm sure the Escape driver was amused, at least.

71 in a 55. :suicide: loving stupid and I was surprised myself. I usually cruise at around 60, I promise.

Thats getting off lightly, 114kph (71mph) in an 88kph zone (55mph) would net you a 26kph speeding fine, which is currently $690 and 5 demerit points. You only get 12 demerit points in a 3 yr period before you become a pedestrian for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

edit - after googling it a bit they're just radar systems

Was going to say this - many cruisers today are equipped with both. In high traffic situations where there's too many cars to tag all of them with the laser they will use the radar to identify the fastest speeder the system can see, and then use the laser to confirm their visual estimation of who is going the fastest. In the days before laser was widespread, in anything other than one car visible situations the officer would use the radar system to get speed and then have to visually identify who was going X MPH, which could (and often did) result in the wrong car being pulled over, and gave people fighting the ticket a viable defense.

Which is why laser is so widespread today, and also why when laser was first rolling out the auto insurance industry donated laser systems to police departments in the name of safety (actually because more tickets means higher insurance rates :ssh:)

content:

Watched this guy park his bro truck (he ran his front/driver wheel across the island and still managed to park like that), and then he and his girlfriend were bitching on their way into the store about how "some people don't know how to park" after she had trouble getting out of the passenger side.