Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

XboxPants posted:

Making the NPCs interpret the game's development as the history of their world like that was a really cool idea. Things like the removal of an overpowered race being interpreted as a great fall of an advanced civilization were a lot of fun. So many possibilities as to what could be going on.

Everything about that infodump made sense from a game development analogy sense... except the Six Bent Princesses. I couldn't think of what those could be an interpretation of. Any ideas?

Also, after realizing the demi-humans are real beings now, too, I'm definitely expecting a big Mordor-style orc Waaaaagh/invasion at some point, either led by a raid boss, a sly NPC a la Saruman, or even a player.

Maybe developers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I wonder how NPC's like Regan would respond if Shiroe dropped the truth on him. Right now, he's been tight lipped about everything he knows while the NPC's are happy to exposit all day.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I wondered myself how he would even explain it. "We have this technology that is distinguishable for the most of you from your magic and we use it to...play elaborate games, one of which happens to exactly resemble your world." I don't think they'd swallow it. Perhaps Regan could, but most of them wouldn't.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think it is fairly safe to say now that when they were playing the game, they were accessing their current world somehow. Whether the people who made the game derived it from the world or if the world was created by the people making the game is still unclear.
To explain it to people of the land, they could always start with the concept of puppets. From that idea, the gist of what adventurers are could be understood. I'm sure the sage would pick it up very quickly, but letting anyone know that adventurers are mostly inexperienced young people ripe for manipulation wouldn't end well.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

Serious Frolicking posted:

... letting anyone know that adventurers are mostly inexperienced young people ripe for manipulation wouldn't end well.

This would actually be kind of fun - Shiroe's clever but game-specific strategizing being easily circumnavigated by older, more politically experienced NPCs. Nyanta might be one of the few who would stand a chance against them. I doubt there's any real odds the show itself would go in that direction though.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

I think it is fairly safe to say now that when they were playing the game, they were accessing their current world somehow. Whether the people who made the game derived it from the world or if the world was created by the people making the game is still unclear.
To explain it to people of the land, they could always start with the concept of puppets. From that idea, the gist of what adventurers are could be understood. I'm sure the sage would pick it up very quickly, but letting anyone know that adventurers are mostly inexperienced young people ripe for manipulation wouldn't end well.

I'm not so sure about this. While the explanation could make sense in that the Elder Tales game was somehow projecting them into the future, it could also make sense as a background set up to justify why the game worked the way it did. Meanwhile if the world is real and the game was "fake", it doesn't explain why the world uses such counter intuitive MMO mechanics like level and subclass requirements for cooking.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

CHECK OUT THIS LOG

i'm not sure why this guy likes donkey dicks so much. there was an :nws: pic here.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 6, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Eh, he should work on his gear, maybe do some raiding.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Man, the intro song makes so much more sense with this development here. (the full version, which had the developers apparently wondering why all the data suddenly all vanished)

There's been a literal new reality created on a new multiverse and that is why the logout feature no longer works; there is no longer any place to log out to.

Actually, I could watch them discuss magecraft and theories of magic all day for 25 episodes and not hate it one second :allears:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The song existed before the anime, so I wouldn't try reading anything from the lyrics.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Man, the intro song makes so much more sense with this development here. (the full version, which had the developers apparently wondering why all the data suddenly all vanished)

There's been a literal new reality created on a new multiverse and that is why the logout feature no longer works; there is no longer any place to log out to.

Actually, I could watch them discuss magecraft and theories of magic all day for 25 episodes and not hate it one second :allears:

It reminds me of the discussions on empirically deriving how magic works in-universe for D&D

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The original game wasn't VR. When they logged out before, they were using a keyboard and mouse to exit a program. They weren't going anywhere.

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012
This show is really making me nostalgic for the MMOs I used to play. Anyone have an idea what's the closest MMO we have to Elder Tale? Somehow, WoW doesn't feel right.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

kazakirinyancat posted:

This show is really making me nostalgic for the MMOs I used to play. Anyone have an idea what's the closest MMO we have to Elder Tale? Somehow, WoW doesn't feel right.
Post-apocalypse Elder Tale? Probably EVE Online.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Pre-apocalypse, probably Final Fantasy 14 is the closest fit.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

No one is named after computer terms. The last two episodes introduced a poo poo ton of people of the land with standard fantasy names. This isn't set inside of a game, and the npc's aren't programs.

Rudy's name definitely sounds like a computing reference/joke, much like "Noosphere Pioneers" and (I'm guessing) Log Horizon itself.

Rundll.exe /house code or something similar, maybe? I'm not a programmer, there's probably a more logical way of putting it. But it's probably something like that. NPCs in MMO's have punny names all the time.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm just glad that they're approaching the end of the gripping "Girl lacks the confidence to tell the sorcerer to stay at the back" arc.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I find it very interesting to speculate that here you have a party of adventurers and suddenly an NPC might have snuck in with them, convincing himself he is an adventurer.

Also interesting bit about his name: ルンデルハウス=コード

There's a random equals sign in it. Google translate also insists ス means database, which made this funny, but also refuses to recognize コード as anything but "code", "encoding" and "the code". Thought maybe it could have been "child" cut off, but that uses a different kanji altogether.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Mordaedil posted:

I find it very interesting to speculate that here you have a party of adventurers and suddenly an NPC might have snuck in with them, convincing himself he is an adventurer.

There's a random equals sign in it. Google translate also insists ス means database, which made this funny, but also refuses to recognize コード as anything but "code", "encoding" and "the code". Thought maybe it could have been "child" cut off, but that uses a different kanji altogether.

The equal sign just indicates there's a space in his name, so it's Rundelhaus Code instead of Rundelhauscode.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mordaedil posted:

It's written in katakana, which means it doesn't mean anything, it's just phonetic. In this case it's supposed to sound like a non-Japanese name that doesn't mean anything in Japanese.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Argas posted:

The equal sign just indicates there's a space in his name, so it's Rundelhaus Code instead of Rundelhauscode.

Thought it was more traditional to denote spaces in names with a ・ dot, but it serves its purpose I guess. Unless it is supposed to be a "2", but doesn't look it due to the font. That'd be weird though.

Clarste posted:

It's written in katakana, which means it doesn't mean anything, it's just phonetic. In this case it's supposed to sound like a non-Japanese name that doesn't mean anything in Japanese.
Right, very typical katakana use then, but I thought maybe it could have been a hint to a programming quirck when generating random NPC names.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Mordaedil posted:

also refuses to recognize コード as anything but "code", "encoding" and "the code"

Well, it could be cord or chord. Other than that, please don't listen to Google translate; it doesn't know what it's doing.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

tiistai posted:

Well, it could be cord or chord. Other than that, please don't listen to Google translate; it doesn't know what it's doing.

Well, I mainly use it because I can draw in kanji and listen to the phonetic sound, but it does have a side benefit of being able to see hilarious suggestions, which are often very, very drat wrong.

Cord would fit him really well if he was a bard.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Cord would fit him really well if he was a bard.

I was actually surprised to find out his class was wizard. He had a very Edward vibe from FF4/2us just from his random apparences so I thought bard from the start. But it turns out he wasn't and the bards we do have kick rear end so that's fine. I'm biased towards support classes.

Mordaedil posted:

Google translate also insists ス means database

ス, ス, just living in the ス.

It's not the same. :smith:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mordaedil posted:

The biggest giveaway besides the nameplate: He says his parents call him Rudy. Wouldn't make sense if Rundel Haus Code was a handle.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It is both hilarious and horrifically tragic. :smith:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Vengarr posted:

The biggest giveaway besides the nameplate: He says his parents call him Rudy. Wouldn't make sense if Rundel Haus Code was a handle.

Shiroe's name is also derived from his real name, so not necessarily. Your handle could be one of your nicknames.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Though I'm sure what we're assuming about him is right, I could totally see him being a big enough dweeb to taken his real name and modified it into part of his silly fantasy persona.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Or he could just be role-playing. Like Akatsuki, only less "teenage power fantasy (ninja)", and more "could be bothered to write himself a backstory". Heck, the way he acts is exactly how I'd expect someone having an absolute riot RPing to act.

Of course, it's all academic, since I think the thing about the nameplate colour is correct.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I don't get it. How can the players not notice if his nameplate is the only one that's green in the entire camp? They're the ones living this thing 24/7. Seems like incredibly poo poo writing.

Edit: Or is this supposed to be a completely normal occurrence in the game, so they just don't bother mentioning it? ._.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

darkgray posted:

I don't get it. How can the players not notice if his nameplate is the only one that's green in the entire camp? They're the ones living this thing 24/7. Seems like incredibly poo poo writing.

Edit: Or is this supposed to be a completely normal occurrence in the game, so they just don't bother mentioning it? ._.

The console information is not automatic. You need to concentrate to bring it up, most people wouldn't bother unless they needed the menus for some reason(they no longer need to since they discovered you can activate skills by movement or verbal commands) or to monitor party status(which would distract them from their own fight, it's only really useful for support characters).

EDIT: I suppose they'd still use it for leveling up and checking XP/help menu though.

veekie fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 9, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

veekie posted:

The console information is not automatic. You need to concentrate to bring it up, most people wouldn't bother unless they needed the menus for some reason(they no longer need to since they discovered you can activate skills by movement or verbal commands) or to monitor party status(which would distract them from their own fight, it's only really useful for support characters).

But 3/5 members of that party are support characters. One of them should have noticed, really. Even if they're not that experienced.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

XboxPants posted:

But 3/5 members of that party are support characters. One of them should have noticed, really. Even if they're not that experienced.

I think that's the whole cause of them blundering about, isn't it?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Are we sure they even understand the distinction?

I mean, the interface colors kinda closely resemble one another and I certainly didn't really notice until the thread pointed it out, that it was a major difference between a PC and NPC. I think the only one who would give it any weight of thought would be someone who had played this game for ages.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I say there's merit in the idea, and at the very least I'll keep that in the back of my mind as the plot moves forwards. If he is an NPC-turned-adventurer, it'll have some strange implications.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Mordaedil posted:

Are we sure they even understand the distinction?

I mean, the interface colors kinda closely resemble one another and I certainly didn't really notice until the thread pointed it out, that it was a major difference between a PC and NPC. I think the only one who would give it any weight of thought would be someone who had played this game for ages.

Yeah, it's not really something Team Newbie would have noticed given that:
-Most of them were in Hamelin, taken out only to farm monsters, if at all.
-Serara spent most of HER time in the new world hiding in an abandoned building with Nyanta. She also doesn't appear to be the brightest bulb.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Episode 15 is out.

I got a funny feeling when they started using MMO terms. Pulling! Patrols! Off-healer!

But it certainly replicated that feeling when a bad party suddenly puts it all together and starts kicking rear end.

...So you wanted a beach episode with lots of fanservice, huh? TOO BAD YOU GET SAHAGUIN gently caress YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
New theory about Rudy (speculation): He is an NPC, but he wasn't always this way. His current status is the consequence of his many post-apocalypse deaths. As you lose more and more pieces of who you are, eventually it's all gone, and there's nothing left to distinguish you from any other natural part of the world of Elder Tale. This is the fate awaiting all adventurers.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
These episodes are always over so fast. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Suddenly: murlocs.

• Locked thread