Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Although I agree that it's strange that they're going with Pirates as this year's theme I can't help but be excited because you guys are forgetting the coolest pirate-bot!

Hint:....It's Cannonball! The one with the creepy tech-spec that's a repaint of Cybertron Red Alert.

Hey! Happy 100 pages everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I have Cannonball, he's a fun toy. What was creepy about his tech-spec?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Wow, they really couldn't find someone who could manage to make it four lines in meter for that little poem there?

The disappointment stems mainly from the fact that people were hoping for something related to the 30th anniversary instead of fanwank married to an internet meme.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Xenomrph posted:

I have Cannonball, he's a fun toy. What was creepy about his tech-spec?

"A reckless pirate concerned only with where his next bit of stolen treasure is coming from. Cannonball and his crew of oil-thirsty pirates have terrorized merchant starships for centuries, returning to Cybertron only rarely to refuel and spend their ill-gotten loot on black-market Energon stars and pleasure programs. He claims loyalty to the Decepticon cause only because Megatron allows him to operate freely as long as he continues to attack only Autobot ships."

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

If it's really ninjas, that would be incredibly lame, but that's par for the course for funpub. That meme is from when, 2001 or so? Next they're going to give them tech spec mottos of "All your base are belong to us" and "Can I haz chezburger?"
Surely they'd never sink that low, so soon after recently sinking that low.

I don't get why they even need a Botcon theme. The best exclusives were always in the years where they just took a look at what molds came out in the past year and who they could repaint them into or just made new characters with cool color schemes. Trying to force everything into a theme just ends up with characters being represented by inappropriate molds or good repaints of molds ruined by the wrong colored faction symbols and inappropriate slogans. ShatGlass Jazz, I'm looking at you.

At least a general Pirates vs. Ninjas theme (because there's no doubt that's what it's going to be) has the potential for the cool color scheme repaints where I can just ignore whatever retarded bios they come up with.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Lepecard posted:

"A reckless pirate concerned only with where his next bit of stolen treasure is coming from. Cannonball and his crew of oil-thirsty pirates have terrorized merchant starships for centuries, returning to Cybertron only rarely to refuel and spend their ill-gotten loot on black-market Energon stars and pleasure programs. He claims loyalty to the Decepticon cause only because Megatron allows him to operate freely as long as he continues to attack only Autobot ships."

Pleasure programs are videogames.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Taint Reaper posted:

Pleasure programs are videogames.
Yeah I was kind of wondering what part I was supposed to find creepy. I didn't even think of "pleasure programs" until you pointed it out.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah I was kind of wondering what part I was supposed to find creepy. I didn't even think of "pleasure programs" until you pointed it out.

TFWiki said:
"pleasure programs" was replaced by the more family-friendly "hot, airbrushed graphics for their vehicle modes" on the package

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Knormal posted:

Surely they'd never sink that low, so soon after recently sinking that low.

I don't get why they even need a Botcon theme. The best exclusives were always in the years where they just took a look at what molds came out in the past year and who they could repaint them into or just made new characters with cool color schemes. Trying to force everything into a theme just ends up with characters being represented by inappropriate molds or good repaints of molds ruined by the wrong colored faction symbols and inappropriate slogans. ShatGlass Jazz, I'm looking at you.

At least a general Pirates vs. Ninjas theme (because there's no doubt that's what it's going to be) has the potential for the cool color scheme repaints where I can just ignore whatever retarded bios they come up with.

You hit the nail right on the head. I've been saying the same thing for a couple years now. They really, REALLY like having a theme to go along with their in-house fiction, but that really hurts these sets a lot. Rather than simply taking molds that are available and turning them into something that works, Funpub constantly tries to jam square pegs into round holes.

Of course, even then, what they do with what they're provided is often very questionable. Ever notice how the G2 and Machine Wars box sets barely contained any actual G2 or Machine Wars? Hey, we have the molds to Sideswipe and Ramjet, they were in G2. Should we include those in the box set? Nah, let's put in a bunch of Euro G1, unreleased G2 and Sky-Byte for some inexplicable reason.

Machine Wars Starscream was a redeco of Skyquake. Prime Dreadwing and Skyquake had the same mold, and were both, in fact, based on the original Skyquake. That mold would really work in Machine Wars Starscream colors. ...nope, made it Megaplex, and used Terradive for said Starscream.

The insistence to stick to a theme and limited mold availability are two huge reasons why BotCon sets often suck, but there are cases where the molds are available and something fits the theme, but they still somehow manage to make poor choices.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

You hit the nail right on the head. I've been saying the same thing for a couple years now. They really, REALLY like having a theme to go along with their in-house fiction, but that really hurts these sets a lot. Rather than simply taking molds that are available and turning them into something that works, Funpub constantly tries to jam square pegs into round holes.

Of course, even then, what they do with what they're provided is often very questionable. Ever notice how the G2 and Machine Wars box sets barely contained any actual G2 or Machine Wars? Hey, we have the molds to Sideswipe and Ramjet, they were in G2. Should we include those in the box set? Nah, let's put in a bunch of Euro G1, unreleased G2 and Sky-Byte for some inexplicable reason.

Machine Wars Starscream was a redeco of Skyquake. Prime Dreadwing and Skyquake had the same mold, and were both, in fact, based on the original Skyquake. That mold would really work in Machine Wars Starscream colors. ...nope, made it Megaplex, and used Terradive for said Starscream.

The insistence to stick to a theme and limited mold availability are two huge reasons why BotCon sets often suck, but there are cases where the molds are available and something fits the theme, but they still somehow manage to make poor choices.

What I seriously don't understand is how Hasbro still puts up with this at this point. Like do they just not give a poo poo?

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.
I think a lot of the problem with the more recent BotCon exclusives is that there's so many each year that the overall quality and adherence to the theme gets spread increasingly thin. At BotCon 2013 there were 14 figures, as compared to the late '90s and early '00s where there were usually only two or three. And that change JUST SO HAPPENED to coincide with FunPub taking over from 3H. I feel like if they focused on doing a really great job on a small handful of figures instead of rushing on cramming two dozen into a flimsy "theme" everyone would be happier. But I'm sure that between the convention toys, yearly subscription exclusives, mail-order figures and most recently the subscription service, they're raking in way more cash than they would be otherwise, so I don't expect their MO to change any time soon. Actually, on that subject, the arbitrary assortment of characters that compose the subscription service is more of what I'd like to see for Botcon. Like, I'm actually interested in some of those.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Rage posted:

What I seriously don't understand is how Hasbro still puts up with this at this point. Like do they just not give a poo poo?
From what I'm told - Conflated circumstances, basically. FunPub was in charge of the con when it saw a huge upward attendance swing as the movies came out. So, they look to be doing a great job compared to earlier years!

Might have been posted in the thread, so all credit to whomever pointed that out.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The Rage posted:

Yeah. Weird choices when it comes to exclusive figures is by far the least of their problems.

From credit card theft, to terrible PR, to shipping figures a year late, I'm pretty surprised they still have the convention license. Then again, supposed the guys before them were even bigger chucklefucks, I wouldn't know, I wasn't going to cons or active online back then.

I really kind of wish Hasbro would give them the boot and just run the club in-house.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Xenomrph posted:

No online community misuses a word as much as goons and 'creepy', I swear to god they find so many loving things creepy that the word's lost any meaning for me now.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Nobody said anything when Octane used his 'pleasure program'.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Sentinel Red posted:

No online community misuses a word as much as goons and 'creepy', I swear to god they find so many loving things creepy that the word's lost any meaning for me now.

It's an SA tradition dating back as long as I've been here. It's epicenter is GBS ghost stories/marine life threads.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keldroc posted:

Wow, they really couldn't find someone who could manage to make it four lines in meter for that little poem there?

The disappointment stems mainly from the fact that people were hoping for something related to the 30th anniversary instead of fanwank married to an internet meme.

Internet people can't loving do meter. You'll see it everywhere. It's appalling.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I really don't see the point to Hasbro Running the collector's club themselves. The insane fans who still put up with this stuff wouldn't buy it because if Hasbro makes an exclusive head sculpt it's not just going to be used on a minimal release club exclusive. Everything is going to probably be repainted for mass release in some shape or form.

I mean they even re-released the SDCC Bruticus exclusive and the Metroplex SDCC exclusive wasn't that different from the general retail one(and it was released in Asia with the gold decoys). That and people still threw a tantrum when the seekers got a mass release in Universe 2.0.

I'd say it would probably be better to roll everything into generations so the line is bigger. We're still missing a good and proper Ultra Magnus figure. Where as Prime has like 6 or 7.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

I really don't see the point to Hasbro Running the collector's club themselves. The insane fans who still put up with this stuff wouldn't buy it because if Hasbro makes an exclusive head sculpt it's not just going to be used on a minimal release club exclusive. Everything is going to probably be repainted for mass release in some shape or form.

I had a similar thought process, figured it would be a lateral move, then I remembered the credit card issue. gently caress Funpub.

It'd be a shame to see botcon toy choices in the hands of Hasbro, because they (usually) don't have the imagination required to come up with the kind of brilliant redecos/remolds we've seen in past. On the other hand, Fubpub is too far up their own asses at this point to do this consistently either. Putting it in the hands of fans via vote would be a loving disaster (I don't even remember the name of the red seeker geisha thing the idiot hivemind shat out). I guess what I'm saying is give Cheetimus the assignment of coming up with ~7 awesome repaints and tell him he's not allowed to even try to come up with supporting fiction.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Zombies could be an awesome theme really.

You can put anyone in there. Just put in one or two "survivors" against a bunch of dead robots and you've got the pack, anyone can be a dead robot.
And dead robots aren't the same as dead people, you could do some crazy stuff with paint details and minimal remolding to get walking broken machine.
And between the dead universe in IDW and all the dark energon/MECH experiments stuff in Prime (and space barnacles and scraplets and...) there's a precedent for that kind of thing and lots of fiction to homage in a set now.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Why cookie Rocket posted:

(I don't even remember the name of the red seeker geisha thing the idiot hivemind shat out).
You mean the one that was in a major drama all of like, a week ago?

As an aside have you never followed the you make the card poo poo? I was shocked Wingblade was as decent as she was.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It'd be a shame to see botcon toy choices in the hands of Hasbro, because they (usually) don't have the imagination required to come up with the kind of brilliant redecos/remolds we've seen in past.

I don't know, a lot of the GDO molds were pretty brilliant I think.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Spiderdrake posted:

You mean the one that was in a major drama all of like, a week ago?

As an aside have you never followed the you make the card poo poo? I was shocked Wingblade was as decent as she was.

Yeah, that one, that's how un-memorable she is.

What's you make the card?

Blackheart posted:

I don't know, a lot of the GDO molds were pretty brilliant I think.

Sure, and so was Skullgrin, Space Case, etc. But it's not like clockwork or anything. Not that Cheets is flawless 100% of the time either. Maybe I'm just biased against corporate environments breeding imaginative ideas.

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 7, 2014

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The Botcon theme drat well better be pirates vs dinosaurs. Ninjas and zombies are so overdone.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Right after this statement:

Keldroc posted:

Gee, I can't possibly imagine. :ninja:

I thought we were all on the same page...it's Pirates vs. Shattered Glass, right?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I was trying to imply ninjas, but it'll probably be Shattered Glass Pirates vs. Ninjas so all the pirate characters are noble heroes and all the ninjas are loud idiots like SG TFA Prowl is the leader or some poo poo.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Robot zombies would loving own

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Veg posted:

Robot zombies would loving own

IDW did it in the comics. It most decidedly did not own.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rhyno posted:

IDW did it in the comics. It most decidedly did not own.
Don't worry they're going to resolve that dangling plot thread in Dark Cybertron then we'll see who owns who!!!!

Also is there any way to get in touch with you off the forums?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spiderdrake posted:

Don't worry they're going to resolve that dangling plot thread in Dark Cybertron then we'll see who owns who!!!!

Also is there any way to get in touch with you off the forums?

Email me at butiplayoneontv AT gmail.com

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Robot zombies would just be permutations of Terrorcon Cliffjumper, most likely, which is boring.

I would support something along these lines, though:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

MTMTE (last few issues notwithstanding) has shored up my belief that storytelling gimmicks are garbage and good storytelling rules. TF stories already have a hook, nigh-immortal metal men having a civil war. I do not need the Avengers or Predators or zombies or ghosts or anything else gumming up the works.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MTMTE (last few issues notwithstanding) has shored up my belief that storytelling gimmicks are garbage and good storytelling rules. TF stories already have a hook, nigh-immortal metal men having a civil war.

I've been rather enjoying nigh-immortal metal men dealing with the aftermath of having a nigh-immortal civil war. Especially with the Lost Light bombing around and cleaning up all the weirdo bullshit that got mostly forgotten because the war was more important.

e: I'm not counting Dark Cybertron in that.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Anyone in here have any experience with any of the 3rd party combiners?

I really love the look of warbotron, and grabbed a Menasor to relive old stunticon memories.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I have 0 interest in yet another expensive 3rd party gestalt but I have a Blast Off altar, I believe that shuttle bot would make a decent centerpiece. Ordered.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Cassa posted:

Anyone in here have any experience with any of the 3rd party combiners?

I really love the look of warbotron, and grabbed a Menasor to relive old stunticon memories.

I've got Warbotron on order and I've bought TFCs Superion and Devastator as well as MakeToys Yellow Giant. I've got the four cars from FP Menasor and the first two pieces of MMC's Predaking. Warbotron is coming from an unknown, so no clue on the quality, but he looks incredibly badass.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

The Rage posted:

I've got Warbotron on order and I've bought TFCs Superion and Devastator as well as MakeToys Yellow Giant. I've got the four cars from FP Menasor and the first two pieces of MMC's Predaking. Warbotron is coming from an unknown, so no clue on the quality, but he looks incredibly badass.

I'm still waiting for Diesel and the three Glacialbots to finish my combiners. I think they're both shipping in the next couple of weeks, hooray! Did anyone read see this page? https://www.fpcore.com/news/2013/12/20/megazero-shipment-update I fell for it before, now I think the team is brilliant.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I have Maketoys Giant, FP Bruticus and most of FP Menasor. Once I get Motormaster in, I think I'm done with 3rd party combiners unless they do a Superion or Defensor in that scale.

The MT Computron looks cool, but eventually enough is enough and while Computron's G1 toy is one of the best out of the G1 combiners, I have zero connection to the character. I didn't have him as a kid and he only briefly showed up in a couple season 3 episodes. I can't justify that amount of cash for that.

Predaking is a similar situation where I like his G1 toy a lot, but I'm not really into his character or design enough to warrant blowing half a grand on a third party one.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The only 3rd party combiner toy I want is really the maketoys giant but I do not have the cash to justify it. I look at 3rd party combiners with a VERY critical eye. I don't think I have much connection to the combiners anymore and even if I did they'd have to be perfect to be worth it.
I have never liked Predaking. Well, maybe when I was ten. But his color scheme is as goofy as hell and his components look completely ridiculous. He just screams kid's toy, more so than some sentai robots I've seen. And at that price, the animal modes being stubby-legged boxes is inexcuseable even if that's what the original toys were.
Now, Monstructor... I might cave to a monstructor. I had bristleback as one of my few G1 toys, and of course he fell apart and Monstructor was always dangled in front of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rita Repulsa posted:

The only 3rd party combiner toy I want is really the maketoys giant but I do not have the cash to justify it. I look at 3rd party combiners with a VERY critical eye. I don't think I have much connection to the combiners anymore and even if I did they'd have to be perfect to be worth it.
I have never liked Predaking. Well, maybe when I was ten. But his color scheme is as goofy as hell and his components look completely ridiculous. He just screams kid's toy, more so than some sentai robots I've seen. And at that price, the animal modes being stubby-legged boxes is inexcuseable even if that's what the original toys were.
Now, Monstructor... I might cave to a monstructor. I had bristleback as one of my few G1 toys, and of course he fell apart and Monstructor was always dangled in front of me.

I've really kind of felt that I'm the only one who doesn't go crazy over Predaking. Glad to see that's not true.

What Predaking has going for him is that he is an incredibly solid G1 toy that is enormous, made of metal and weighs like 10 pounds. He's one of the best G1 toys. However, I never really cared for his design or any of his appearances in the fiction. I just don't dig the whole black\orange\yellow color scheme. His color scheme makes him looks like some seasonal fall decoration that might be chilling out with some turkeys and pilgrims. Honestly, if he came in stupid rainbow Super Sentai \ Power Rangers colors I'd probably be into him a lot more.

And as far as the fiction is concerned, he showed up and fought Sky-Lynx sometimes. By the time he was introduced in the show, we had already seen Devastator and the scramble city combiners, so he was just another one. Sure, his toy was impressive, but in the fiction he was just yet another combiner dude.