Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bondster
May 6, 2007

New Iron Knight

Not sure if I'm digging Not even explaining the bunny girl.. Other than that, this was a good chapter to give me some faith back in this series. Having a Shonen Jump protagonist who looks like he is barely in middle school telling the bad guy to go die in a ditch is a little refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Rosario to Vampire

Now this is how you set an ending for your shounen series, everything is :black101: as hell and Tsukune finally went from useless harem lead to legit badass.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It looks like Gamble Fish might be getting translated semi-regularly again? It's about as surreal as it has ever been.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't know if anybody follows Pumpkin Scissors but it's been updated with 4 new chapters in the past week. Looks like the group that usually does it got some help so maybe updates will come a little more regularly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Pumpkin Scissors broke my heart. It started with the amazing premise of TANK FIGHTER, but then it did its damnedest to distance itself from any TANK FIGHTING.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Everything Burrito posted:

I don't know if anybody follows Pumpkin Scissors but it's been updated with 4 new chapters in the past week. Looks like the group that usually does it got some help so maybe updates will come a little more regularly.

I remember that anime!

It, uh, wasn't all that great. Is the manga any better?

OP is still great, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNZjHKQ-sUQ

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

I remember that anime!

It, uh, wasn't all that great. Is the manga any better?

OP is still great, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNZjHKQ-sUQ

Haha, I forgot about that absolutely wonderful part of the OP where they show each of the squad in profile, but the dog comes before the secretary. That always cracked me up.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is a lot of stuff that isn't TANK FIGHTING in the manga too (I just went back and re-read some of the earlier chapters and there was even less than I remembered). I read it more for stuff like Oland dealing with his wicked PTSD and the little dribs and drabs of the overarching conspiracy plot that occassionally squeeze out. Objectively, it's a mediocre manga with a neat premise that never quite delivers (I'd say the same for the anime) but I still love it. I'm dying to read the next few chapters because of the having to use the lamp 2x in short succession and I know it's gonna gently caress him up. :ohdear:

I think it's worth it for moments like this:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 3, 2014

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
whoops, quote is not edit

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
My thoughts on the 6 finalist manga:

• Sweat Man: Kind of corny, but somehow it mostly worked.
  • Golden Rabbit: Aggressively generic. The only one that's clearly a one-shot instead of a first chapter.
  • Morning Star: Has some potential. Basically an "edgier" (I never expected that kind of swearing in a shonen manga outside of scanslations) version of early Magi.
  • Boom: The protagonist is really obnoxious. Some of the weird bombs were mildly amusing, though.
  • The Team Before Daybreak: Felt kind of pointless. Good composition, though.
  • El Viento Del Norte: My first impression was that it's so-bad-it's-good. A cowgirl samurai with an eyepatch named Elizabeth Kitakaze Eastwood? Really? It started getting kind of interesting when it started explaining how the powers worked, but there's nothing here that hasn't been done better elsewhere.

On the whole, pretty disappointing. Voted for Morning Star.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

bondster posted:

New Iron Knight

Not sure if I'm digging Not even explaining the bunny girl.. Other than that, this was a good chapter to give me some faith back in this series. Having a Shonen Jump protagonist who looks like he is barely in middle school telling the bad guy to go die in a ditch is a little refreshing.

I didn't reply to this earlier, but the bunny-girl seems pretty simple to explain. She's another non-rear end in a top hat demon like him. Done. Why she disappeared is the real big question here. And as for why bunny-girl, it's because manga, and shounen manga at that. Cute animal people are a thing and if they're going with a friendly demon girl, more likely than not they aren't going to make her ugly. That's mostly reserved for guys. Unless it's one of those manga that actually break the mold, but this isn't. Shrug.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

AAAAANNNNNIIIIMMMMMEEEEEE

i'm not sure why this guy likes donkey dicks so much. there was an :nws: pic here.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 6, 2014

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Well then.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That donkey's dick is as long as your posting is bad.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Oooh, speaking of things that are long, there's a long due update for the Smallest Hero!

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I didn't reply to this earlier, but the bunny-girl seems pretty simple to explain.

The bunny girl is a character from a 'prototype' one-shot of Iron Knight called Goblin Night, released in 2012. You could see that the serialized Iron Knight borrows certain things from Goblin Night, such as the 'goblin-fication' being a voluntary transformation instead of permanent, the ability to speak in goblin form, and the flame powers. Very likely the girl-bunny will have snow powers as well. Also, the girl in the last two pages of the Iron Knight oneshot resembles Yuki from Goblin Night.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 6, 2014

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

The new Koe no Kotachi is out, and it continues to have awesome reaction faces.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I'm going to update the series list in the OP sometime in the next couple days, so if you think something should be included there then let me know.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Birdmen.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Xyven posted:

The new Koe no Kotachi is out, and it continues to have awesome reaction faces.

"I gave it to her" was a really great "get hosed" line.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Who's talking in the first panel of the last page? "You're still as foul-mouthed as ever. You'd better change that attitude of yours."

Is it Ishida saying that to Ueno, or the other way around?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

DrSunshine posted:

Who's talking in the first panel of the last page? "You're still as foul-mouthed as ever. You'd better change that attitude of yours."

Is it Ishida saying that to Ueno, or the other way around?

It's Ishida.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well at least Ishida learned she's kind of a terrible person almost immediately.

I assumed she was introduced to set up a love triangle, but I don't see how that could work now.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 7, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
This series never stops to surprising me, I liked Ueno last chapter since she seemed a pretty nice and polite girl and after reading this chapter... :psyduck:

It turns out than she's kind of a dipshit.

Edit: I guess they could go with crazy scorned woman (or 'yandere' :v:) route

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 7, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sindai posted:

Well at least Ishida learned she's kind of a terrible person almost immediately.

I assumed she was introduced to set up a love triangle, but I don't see how that could work now.

I think there's a non-zero probability that she's trying to play into what she thinks he wants, and her real personality isn't quite as abrasive as she's trying to make out. Her going after Deaf Girl felt kinda desperate, to me. Of course, she was fairly mean to Vibrating-Through-Worlds-kun and as far as we know she didn't have an audience there...

Or MC is going to discover her Terrible Issues that make her such a terrible person and help her Work Through Them, like the protagonist he is.

Or ^^^that^^^, yeah. Or less axe-crazy variant thereof. Anyway, there's no way this is over yet.

No, I can't remember the names of anyone in this manga.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

toanoradian posted:

Oooh, speaking of things that are long, there's a long due update for the Smallest Hero!

Oh neat! I thought I was the only one still reading that series, I love this take on the superhero genre. Great characters, fantastic art and superheroes, what else can I ask for? :allears:

Autonomous Monster posted:

I think there's a non-zero probability that she's trying to play into what she thinks he wants, and her real personality isn't quite as abrasive as she's trying to make out. Her going after Deaf Girl felt kinda desperate, to me. Of course, she was fairly mean to Vibrating-Through-Worlds-kun and as far as we know she didn't have an audience there...

Or MC is going to discover her Terrible Issues that make her such a terrible person and help her Work Through Them, like the protagonist he is.

Or ^^^that^^^, yeah. Or less axe-crazy variant thereof. Anyway, there's no way this is over yet.

No, I can't remember the names of anyone in this manga.

Shouya: MC
Shouko: Deaf Girl
Yuzuru: Deaf girl's sis
Nagatsuka: Vibrating-through-worlds kun :v:
Ueno: Psycho Bitch

Is gonna be kind of depressing if Ueno starts attacking Shouko blaming her by changing 'her' Shouya.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
There's also Sahara who was the girl that got bullied out of elementary school for helping Shouko but they recently reconnected with.

Part of me hopes that there's not "terrible issues" going on with Ueno and she's just a mean person. Not necessarily because I want more drama but just have at least once instance where Shouya realizes that some people are just awful and some relationships can't be fixed.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Suben posted:

Not necessarily because I want more drama but just have at least once instance where Shouya realizes that some people are just awful and some relationships can't be fixed.

Seems like that'd go against the themes the whole comic is built on

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Anyone has read Lasboss-X-Hero?

Is a pretty entertaining story about a mangaka who ends trapped on his own manga and now thinks than killing the main heroine is the only way to finish the story and return to the real world. Lots of meta moments, the characters calling out the lovely plot developments/fanservice and a nice art (but as the most recent chapter there's two :nws: panels)

Very recomendable.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There's something always entertaining about a Dark Lord and his minions when they're involved in non-typical plots. Curious to see what it's building up toward.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I've been following it, and it's OK so far. There hasn't really been enough material for me to judge if it will be any good in the long run though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Allarion posted:

There's something always entertaining about a Dark Lord and his minions when they're involved in non-typical plots. Curious to see what it's building up toward.

I'm starting to think than Sagara it is the Demon Lord and the idea of him being a mangaka is the plot for the actual manga (a Buzz Lightyear sort of thing). Mainly because on one of the sequeneces with the editor we saw a blonde guy instead of him

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm starting to think than Sagara it is the Demon Lord and the idea of him being a mangaka is the plot for the actual manga (a Buzz Lightyear sort of thing). Mainly because on one of the sequeneces with the editor we saw a blonde guy instead of him

Personally, I thought that Sagara and the Demon Lord switched places since there is something to those dreams he had, but your idea is equally plausible at the moment. Regardless, I'm hoping for some solid character growth for our main character, as well as being intrigued about what happens to the former "main" character, since at present, it seems the cast's development growth as people are dependent on Sagara growing better as a writer and person, which I just find to be an interesting concept if the story follows through on that.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Allarion posted:

Personally, I thought that Sagara and the Demon Lord switched places since there is something to those dreams he had, but your idea is equally plausible at the moment. Regardless, I'm hoping for some solid character growth for our main character, as well as being intrigued about what happens to the former "main" character, since at present, it seems the cast's development growth as people are dependent on Sagara growing better as a writer and person, which I just find to be an interesting concept if the story follows through on that.

Agreed, the way the supporting cast is being developed is the biggest draw of the manga to me, they start really shallow and cookie-cutter but they start growing life on their own. The story is also handed well and the reveal about the Demons Lord's identity was fantastic.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

They mentioned a more talented mangaka that he knew earlier; I bet the blond guy is him, called in to end this mess since Sagara has disappeared.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Hey, Yowamushi Pedal, perhaps the most relaxing biking shounen ever made, had just updated with Volume 9!

In the latest volume, we get the chilled-out disappointment, we meet the foreign concept of 'always carry your ID', we are introduced to the best guy in the entire series, him and his team of clowns (it's all unicycling, things get wacky), an anime otaku nerd being cool in front of a girl, the fact that lying to your parents is fun, and a healthy dose of youthful energetic SHONEN you've come to expect from Yowamushi Pedal.

All in all, pretty good way to start the weekends.

The length of Midousuji's limbs is approaching Slender Man proportions. I like how he's pretty much a Joker-type of a guy. I wonder how hard he's going to troll everyone.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Oh my god. Midousuji is the best. Hahaha, just look at this freaky rear end guy, I loved how he kept moving around in bizarre twisted ways. This is great!

EDIT: In my mind, Onoda is voiced by Spike Spencer (Shinji from Evangelion) and it is awesome.

Also, have you guys noticed that Onoda's starting to look pretty fit?

Just compare how he looks in this page:

-- with how he looked at the beginning of the comic. Our boy's growin' buff!!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 12, 2014

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I just like how half the characters are so god drat weird looking they could fit in with the Titans in AoT.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I can't decide which part I liked better, trolling opponents by lying out your rear end or trolling opponents by stripping half naked. But it makes sense if the only factor you're really allowed to affect in other racers is their morale. (It especially makes sense since they're Teenagers, which as a species are notoriously emotional)

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 12, 2014

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Anyone has read Lasboss-X-Hero?

Is a pretty entertaining story about a mangaka who ends trapped on his own manga and now thinks than killing the main heroine is the only way to finish the story and return to the real world. Lots of meta moments, the characters calling out the lovely plot developments/fanservice and a nice art (but as the most recent chapter there's two :nws: panels)

Very recomendable.

I'm kind of a sucker for "Creator gets trapped in their own work" stories, but this one just didn't do anything for me. Instead of subverting cliches it seemed to be embracing them and then complaining afterwards. And it didn't help that every character seemed like a total moron.

I read until partway through chapter 5 then abandoned it. Maybe it found it's feet after that point, but I really got nothing out of those first 4 chapters. I wasn't compelled by the drama, wasn't intrigued by the mystery, and wasn't entertained by the comedy.

Yes characters call out lovely plot developments/fanservice... but they didn't seem to have anything insightful to say about it, and calling a lovely plot development lovely just didn't improve things for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

DrSunshine posted:

Oh my god. Midousuji is the best. Hahaha, just look at this freaky rear end guy, I loved how he kept moving around in bizarre twisted ways. This is great!
His eyes. They're staring into my soul. :gonk: