Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

rscott posted:

I have to do the door seal on my E30 coupe and you guys aren't giving me a lot of confidence...

I've got a good passenger side one if you need one.

Edit: they're not too bad to replace, assuming you're talking about the huge seal that goes in the doorway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I really like and enjoy driving my E46 ZHP.

I also like newer model BMWs because they are nice looking and sound nice and go fast.

I also like old BMWs because they are small and relatively simple sporty cars.

That's all I have to say. Thank you for reading this post.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Does anyone have any E34 535i suspension suggestions? Once I get done with my E30 I think it's time to dump a couple grand into my E34 and I'd like to drop it considerably (especially in the front) and firm it up a bit.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Someone actually got an N54 running in an e30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWxXp2MTsHA

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Holy poo poo that ECU is freaking the hell out.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Moxie Omen posted:

Does anyone have any E34 535i suspension suggestions? Once I get done with my E30 I think it's time to dump a couple grand into my E34 and I'd like to drop it considerably (especially in the front) and firm it up a bit.

Only advice is that if you're lowering it make sure you put some money aside for some nice thrust arms and the 740i bushings upgrade. Lots of people get the dreaded shimmy when they lower or increase tire size on the E34.

As a bonus the 740i bushings really firm up the ride, particularly when accelerating and braking.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Ok, friends. I'm budgeting for "all that jazz" for my Z4MC this year - going to do a battery / filters / plugs / wires / fluids (oil / coolant / transmission / diff), it's due for the valve service, it has a bit of rattle coming off-throttle from 3k RPM that I'm choosing to interpret as "REPLACE ALL THE VANOSES" :supaburn: and I'm just going to do the GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM because I love having all that poo poo apart just so much. :getin: The car has ~42k mi (68k km) on it, so I think I'm jumping on it pretty early but it's an '06 and I want to keep it for awhile so I'm alright with investing a bit more time while everything's already apart in my [buddy's] garage.

Bottom line: are there other preventative-type things goons would recommend for S54 engined cars? What about for Z4Ms specifically? Should I be thinking about F/RTABs, engine mounts, etc.? My goal for the car is street + track / autoX so I'm not planning any crazy mods, probably coil-overs, brakes and tires for actual performance and intake / exhaust type stuff for yummy noise (holy poo poo that CSL-style airbox + AlphaN tune sounds so so so good and I really want it) over the course of the next few years.

Input appreciated!

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

8ender posted:

Only advice is that if you're lowering it make sure you put some money aside for some nice thrust arms and the 740i bushings upgrade. Lots of people get the dreaded shimmy when they lower or increase tire size on the E34.

As a bonus the 740i bushings really firm up the ride, particularly when accelerating and braking.

Thrust arms are pretty new, did them three years ago. I do however need to throw a ton of money at a M5 steering box, mine's beyond adjustment at this point and the slop is driving me crazy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Soulfull: with mileage that low I'd mod it and do the coilovers and just drive it. No need to replace all that stuff on a car with mileage so low.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I didn't like how BMW just threw some H8 bulbs into the light halos and called it a day, so I got the LUX V4 and adjusted the color temp to match the HIDs.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Moxie Omen posted:

Thrust arms are pretty new, did them three years ago. I do however need to throw a ton of money at a M5 steering box, mine's beyond adjustment at this point and the slop is driving me crazy.

Are the arms on there using the stiffer bushings? You could try out the lowered suspension on the existing arms but I'd really recommend the upgraded bushings. They make everything feel tight and awesome again, and will prevent any shimmy from the lowering.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Das Volk posted:

I didn't like how BMW just threw some H8 bulbs into the light halos and called it a day, so I got the LUX V4 and adjusted the color temp to match the HIDs.

Do you have clear corners too? Is that hard to change?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Soulfull: with mileage that low I'd mod it and do the coilovers and just drive it. No need to replace all that stuff on a car with mileage so low.

I agree with this. From what I've heard, even 80k mi is a little on the early side. Obviously do change your oil and brake fluid before each season at the very least. As for brakes, I got Carbotech XP-8s on my 3.0si, but if I were to do it again, I'd go with XP-10s. I didn't notice much of a difference over the stock pads other than noise, though I'm sure they fade less. I'd also like to do steel brake lines sometime this year.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 5, 2014

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Binge posted:

Do you have clear corners too? Is that hard to change?

I think the whole light housing is clear, but no I just changed the bulbs which was a pretty easy install process.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Das Volk posted:

How in the hell are people even installing these unless you have tiny hands like a 5 year old or have a trained Capuchin monkey on call? There is like 2 inches of room and on the drivers side the power steering reservoir is right behind the little access port. I could maybe fit two fingers in there and touch the old bulb but no way to remove it nor stuff the new one and extra poo poo in there. I don't even have typical neckbearded goon sausage fingers either. All of Burger's DIY's are on a 2007 E92 model that make it look way easier.

I bought these things....about to go up for sale because gently caress this.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 5, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
What, you haven't trained a monkey to work on your car? :smug:

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Keyser S0ze posted:

How in the hell are people even installing these unless you have tiny hands like a 5 year old or have a trained Capuchin monkey on call? There is like 2 inches of room and on the drivers side the power steering reservoir is right behind the little access port. I could maybe fit two fingers in there and touch the old bulb but no way to remove it nor stuff the new one and extra poo poo in there. I don't even have typical neckbearded goon sausage fingers either. All of Burger's DIY's are on a 2007 E92 model that make it look way easier.

On my e90, I had to get at it by removing the wheels and the wheel well lining. Once that was off the angel eye bulb part is just sitting right there for easy access.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Keyser S0ze posted:

Binge posted:

On my e90, I had to get at it by removing the wheels and the wheel well lining. Once that was off the angel eye bulb part is just sitting right there for easy access.

You guys didn't think to just insert the bulb into the opening back-first then draw it forward? It was annoying, sure, but it wasn't impossible and my hands are quite big. Maybe the design varies from year to year, but the only thing I had to do was unscrew the ground from the housing to get the wire out of the way.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My 2011 E90 sedan is as follows. Directions are basically unscrew that port and turn and remove existing bulb and then replace with new much larger bulb and resistor or whatever the gently caress that thing is. I'm stuck at "remove the existing bulb" since there is only room to shove 2 fingers in the back opening once that cover is off let alone do anything else. Based on E90post rants it seems it's much easier on the older E9x.

Driver..........................................Passenger

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Das Volk posted:

You can have that little corner LED coded and turned off, for a much cleaner appearance.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Keyser S0ze posted:

My 2011 E90 sedan is as follows. Directions are basically unscrew that port and turn and remove existing bulb and then replace with new much larger bulb and resistor or whatever the gently caress that thing is. I'm stuck at "remove the existing bulb" since there is only room to shove 2 fingers in the back opening once that cover is off let alone do anything else. Based on E90post rants it seems it's much easier on the older E9x.

Driver..........................................Passenger

Weird, mine is one of the last built, and I don't recognize anything in those pictures. My E92 has a triangular door on top of the headlights that comes off so you can access the bulb. The sedan version of the M3 must be different somehow.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Das Volk posted:

Weird, mine is one of the last built, and I don't recognize anything in those pictures. My E92 has a triangular door on top of the headlights that comes off so you can access the bulb. The sedan version of the M3 must be different somehow.

He might also be working on a non-M, which never got a face-lift (LCI) for the headlamps. E92/E90/E93/E91 M lamps are swappable.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
So if I hypothetically have put 87 octane for six months in a E320 that says "premium fuel only" on the gas cap, will the engine burst into flames suddenly? Will I burst into flames suddenly? Can the engine not handle it?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Maybe if you asked in the Mercedes Benz thread they could tell you for sure but mostly you're going to get poo poo fuel mileage and less power since the computer has to retard the timing to avoid detonation. Older cars can definitely damage the pistons with 87 octane if they require premium though.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Oops, wrong tab! But that answers my question. It's a 2001 model, nothing antique.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

thealphabetsez posted:

He might also be working on a non-M, which never got a face-lift (LCI) for the headlamps. E92/E90/E93/E91 M lamps are swappable.

:doh: I was confusing him with the guy who sold his Shelby for an M3 sedan.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Sept 2011 build 2011 E90 335 Sedan.....it doesn't make sense that the install threads and pics I found for pre-LCI E90's the headlight units appeared different and seemed much more accessible (i.e. through the wheel well like one poster mentioned). I'd like less yellow angel eyes (like the F10 has stock) but not if its a major pita.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Dad and brother went and grabbed my Grandfathers 1986? 524TD a week ago after it sat for a year or more non-running. I helped troubleshoot it over the phone and facebook over the past couple days when Dad had time to mess with it. Ended up being a flaky electrical connection which isn't surprising with how much this thing vibrates. It's slow, loud and makes a hell of a cloud on acceleration:getin: Pretty good chance it will be headed to TN at some point in the near future.

My Grandpa bought the beast new and drove it daily for ~25 years until he was forced to stop due to deteriorating health. Car is in remarkably good shape other than the passenger side that got scrapped up a bit when he tried to 'sneak out' of the garage a few years ago. We rebuilt the engine about 10 years ago and swapped front seats passenger with drivers.

Dad loves taking car pictures in front of the solar array.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 6, 2014

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The moonroof sunshade in my E46 finally broke when opening the moonroof recently. Is there any reason not to just remove the thing entirely rather than replacing the clips and all that? I literally never use it and I really wouldn't miss it. If it means less hassle and money saved to just take the damned thing out then I think that's what I'm going to do. As far as I'm concerned it is unnecessary and is just another thing to break.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Guinness posted:

The moonroof sunshade in my E46 finally broke when opening the moonroof recently. Is there any reason not to just remove the thing entirely rather than replacing the clips and all that? I literally never use it and I really wouldn't miss it. If it means less hassle and money saved to just take the damned thing out then I think that's what I'm going to do. As far as I'm concerned it is unnecessary and is just another thing to break.
Believe it or not, come summer you'll miss it. The repair really isn't that bad, I'll be doing mine come spring. Even in the winter with the panel open there's noticeably more heat loss via the uninsulated window.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I've had my E46 for 2 summers already and I've never used the sunshade. In an extreme summer we might get one or two weeks above 90F. Most of the time in the summer I have the roof open and windows down. I almost never run the AC, either.

Weather is mild in Seattle. Winters rarely below 35, summers rarely above 85. Maybe I'll fix it just for the sake of it being fixed, but I'm mighty tempted to just get rid of it if there's no mechanical reason not to.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I would tint the poo poo out of the glass.....

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
My 2003 e46 sunroof shade broke this week too! I can still sort of jiggle it forward and back so I'm leaving it for now. I will probably end up buying a new car before fixing it though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

1998 E39, non xenon headlights with OEM "clear corners" from the 2000-2003 models

Headlights are scratched/sandblasted to hell, makes driving at night almost hazardous (and in passenger's opinion, is hazardous) at highway speeds. Also those angel eye lights burned out

Remove and buff headlights, buy used headlights and replace ($??) or buy new OEM lights ($700)?

Other options? There are a couple how-to write ups on buffing lights but it seems like a couple hours worth of work.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Try the buffing out, other wise, a set of nice used OEMs will do just fine.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I've had surprising good luck buffing the lenses back to life. Try that, first.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
The cooling system in my e36 chumpcar is full of straight water and I'm pretty sure it froze :smith: Why the gently caress is it -10 in Missouri. Also why am I an idiot who left the garage door open for 5 hours today.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

User Error posted:

my e36 chumpcar

You take that back. The E36 is rad.

Also sorry to hear about your car.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

User Error posted:

The cooling system in my e36 chumpcar is full of straight water and I'm pretty sure it froze
God drat cooling system. Well didn't think about it till now but my e30 is probably toast too. :argh: Georgia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

User Error posted:

The cooling system in my e36 chumpcar is full of straight water and I'm pretty sure it froze :smith: Why the gently caress is it -10 in Missouri. Also why am I an idiot who left the garage door open for 5 hours today.

SuperDucky posted:

God drat cooling system. Well didn't think about it till now but my e30 is probably toast too. :argh: Georgia!

You guys may be ok as long as you let it thaw slowly. The water in my old E30 froze solid for at least a month, we towed it to the heated garage and let it heat soak for a day and a half. After thawing everything worked fine and the cooling system on that car never gave us issues.