Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Darkrenown if you're still reading this thread, for April Fools, force-release a patch that gives your games ugly borders. I would get much joy from the anger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

DStecks posted:

Because "Just increasing the attrition of armies" does absolutely gently caress all to stop the player from splitting their armies in half but keeping them in the same province, getting all the benefit for none of the penalty.

oh my god, I meant regiments.

DStecks posted:

Completely reversing my argument, then using "micromanagement" as a dirty word for "any army management more complicated than just click the enemy" is a pretty convenient way to argue, huh?

What the hell are you talking about? How is it army management to make armies smaller so they could go faster, when the end result is exactly the same as it is now? You are literally advocating making the system require more work so that the result is the same, but people who don't want to loving click "Create new army" until they have achieved ~*~optimal army number-attrition-speed balance~*~ don't have to because it's a dumb idea.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Darkrenown please save us from shitposts with more quotations of idiot flamewars from the other forums :cry:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Beamed posted:

oh my god, I meant regiments.

What the hell are you talking about? How is it army management to make armies smaller so they could go faster, when the end result is exactly the same as it is now? You are literally advocating making the system require more work so that the result is the same, but people who don't want to loving click "Create new army" until they have achieved ~*~optimal army number-attrition-speed balance~*~ don't have to because it's a dumb idea.

At this point I have literally zero idea what in the gently caress you're saying, so I'm just going to throw up my arms and say "gently caress it". I was wrong, combat in Paradox games is flawless and perfect and cannot be improved.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DStecks posted:

You missed the part where I said that armies would have their attrition footprint increased for each additional friendly army in the same province. It's fun arguing with people who don't even read what I'm saying.

Combat would need to be changed so that there's a meaningful difference in how 1 big army vs. two smaller armies enter battle, but that's part 2 of the fix, and significantly harder to implement, and it would vary depending on which game is being discussed.

Attrition rolls at the end of the month so just pause the game on the 30th of every month and recombine every army to reduce attrition. Then on the 1st you can go around the map and split every army down to regiments again

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

DStecks posted:

At this point I have literally zero idea what in the gently caress you're saying, so I'm just going to throw up my arms and say "gently caress it". I was wrong, combat in Paradox games is flawless and perfect and cannot be improved.

My very first post was saying that EU4's combat isn't very great, but you're seriously advocating pretty bad things and getting mad when people criticize you for it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Necroneocon posted:

edit: Often times I check the LP subforum on HOI3 for a tutorial LP and it's just... well people roleplaying. I always wanted to really give HOI3 a try but there aren't any tutorial LPs with the latest expansions, whereas you have good ones for CK2, EU4 and Vicky2.

I was trying to convince rask to make a good hoi3 LP, but I don't play tanks with him anymore so I can't hound him about it :smith:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

DStecks posted:

Yeah guy that's exactly what people are saying. Boy it sure does suck your solution and status quo were the only choices huh

Busywork is not what you reward players for, planning things in advance and efficiency are. That's why it would be stupid to give the player 50 more morale to every unit for playing the whole game from command prompt. You suck at game design and taking criticism (hint: pulling the "welp you guys think my idea sucks, guess you think the status quo is perfect :smug:" card is a good sign you suck at taking critisim), learn to do both.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The only thing ive gathered from this is that Victoria 3 needs to use March of the Eagles combat system.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Agean90 posted:

The only thing ive gathered from this is that Victoria 3 needs to use March of the Eagles combat system.

This, and EU5 too possibly, if starting armies already have their generals assigned decently. Not like historically accuretally but simple 'good generals start off already assigned to large units' kind of way. One thing that made playing MotE hard for me was assigning the dozen or so generals you have to assign at the start as France.

E:
That or do it like CK2/EU:Rome and have more unit types; heavy infantry, light infantry (maybe regular infantry, or skirmishers?), cavalry, heavy cavalry, archer cavalry, and artillery. It's more busywork sure, but it's optional since spamming heavy infantry and heavy cav and artillery would work fine, it wouldn't be able to compensate for certain weaknesses, and it's busywork involved in choosing army composition instead of constantly breaking up and reforming units every battle.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 7, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

DrProsek posted:

Busywork is not what you reward players for, planning things in advance and efficiency are.

Tactics are not busywork. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

DrProsek posted:

This, and EU5 too possibly, if starting armies already have their generals assigned decently. Not like historically accuretally but simple 'good generals start off already assigned to large units' kind of way. One thing that made playing MotE hard for me was assigning the dozen or so generals you have to assign at the start as France.

Thats the good part about it, victoria 2 already has the auto assign generals function, so that issue is already solved! I already accumulate a ton of leadership points, and by extension generals I never use anyway, so they can finally be use for something other than cluttering up the military screen.

Also the descriptions in march of the eagles make battles cooler, especially if they can put in blurbs about your generals traits affecting combat somehow. General Smith (Alchoholic, School of the Bayonet) got shitfaced and ordered a disastrous charge against a machine-gun nest!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

DStecks posted:

"I will split my army to move them around so they go faster, then re-unite them before they engage the enemy" is not tactics and it is busywork.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

DStecks posted:

DStecks posted:

"Do I want to do this busywork?" is a perfectly legitimate thing to balance against.

Is busywork not busywork :confused:

Also it really is in your case, this isn't tactical planning you're talking about, it's splitting up your doomstack into 2 microdoomstacks, attacking as normal and then merging them later. It's not tacitcal at all, in every battle no matter where it is, I will respond to anything the same way; doomstack walks in, split into 10 smaller units, walk to enemy province.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DStecks posted:

The "tactics" you're proposing are brainless and boring.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DStecks posted:

Splitting and rebuilding armies vs an omniscient AI is busywork. I already feel like tearing my hair out playing against the AI since it's impossible for me to tell how long it will take to get from province X to Y, that would be 10,000x worse if units changed speed based off the size of the army.

Armies moving at different speed based on size doesn't really make sense anyways. Tactically sure, but in the EU timeframe armies are limited by the speed of their baggage trains, not by the speed of individual regiments tactical speed. There's a reason cavalry moves at the same speed strategically as artillery.

e: Seriously I play WitP for fun and what you're proposing is crazy.

uPen fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 7, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I'm loving done. My fundamental problem is that I'm not adequately communicating how I'm visualizing the mechanic, and getting worked up and upset sure as hell won't help that. So I concede defeat. Genuinely, this time. The idea I proposed wouldn't do what I proposed it to do, the way that I proposed it. It would need a shitton of overhaul to the combat system to work, when I explicitly said that it would work just fine without any overhauls.

Given the opportunity, I'd significantly overhaul how the combat works on a strategic level, to make it more interesting than "click on the enemy until they're dead". But that isn't what I said my idea was to do. So I was wrong. I stand by the core idea being sound (that of smaller armies moving faster), but the issues you all raised about implementing that into the current system are all on the mark.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Personally I'd like the ability to just relinquish control of my armies over to the AI. It's grand strategy, not grand tactics.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Personally I'd like the ability to just relinquish control of my armies over to the AI. It's grand strategy, not grand tactics.

I'd be down for this. Just let me give them some general strategy and let the AI handle things.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Also, sorry Riso, but I guess I'm not planning on contributing to Sengoku any more. DrProsek was right, I'm a dumbass and bad at game design and should just kill myself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

DStecks posted:

Also, sorry Riso, but I guess I'm not planning on contributing to Sengoku any more. DrProsek was right, I'm a dumbass and bad at game design and should just kill myself.

Ya know, you kinda suck at this whole "dropping it" thing. And your hyperbole really doesn't work when people can go back and read my old posts. I said you suck at game design, and you take criticism like a giant baby and I really don't see how proving the latter point scores you any internet points or whatever it is you are trying to do...

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Yes please. I mean, it's possible to let the AI take control of all your armies in the wargame of the series, why can I not do the same in the less combat-focused games?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

Isn't this one of the features that a lot of people complain about when talking about HoI3? On top of the ahistorical WW2, the thousands of provinces, the extreme complexity etc etc.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Is Victoria 2 + the 2 expansions playable and/or better than VIP + Revolutions? Cause Paradox wanting $30 for 2 expansions to make a game remotely interesting is stretching it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

DStecks posted:

:stare:

You should really calm down and think things over a while, dude. I like your passion and your modding ideas, but it sounds like you're getting way too riled up here!

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

DStecks posted:

The level of betrayal I felt when I was criticized by goons tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to design anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dibujante posted:

Darkrenown please save us from shitposts with more quotations of idiot flamewars from the other forums :cry:

From the Darkest Hour forums:

quote:

Is there any mod that makes it possible not to implement New Deal but instead make free-market reforms? I would love to audit the FED and create a healthy economy instead of the one Roosevelt did.

quote:

What's so bad about the New Deal?

quote:

That I am a liberal and in my point of view it was a mistake and that the whole Great Depression was to much extent the cause of both FED and government's failed policies?

quote:

The 'New Deal' created cartels and monopolies further harming US recovery. The 'New Deal' was one of the worst economic decisions made in 20th Century USA since the first slump causing the Depression.

quote:

The Austrian school believes that the Great Depression was caused, and exacerbated, by the Federal Reserve and federal intervention in the economy, so that throw your assertion right out the window, unless you don't think the Austrian school is "reputable," which itself is complete nonsense and only shows your bias. You can code anything you want into the game, but people will protest your unfair and biased representation of history and economics. If you do decide to code an economic reform chain for the Great Depression, you should do it in a similar way to Kaiserreich. They represent 3 methods (central planning, free market, and mixed) equally, with each being more likely to get events that resulted from their policy. The way you seem to want to do is just blatantly anti-free market. Regardless of the history or game design or whatever, it's just intolerant to dismiss an entire school of thought just because you don't agree with it.

Johan/Darkrenown please put in Cryptocurrency as a Secret Tech tech in HOI4 TIA

eXXon posted:

Is Victoria 2 + the 2 expansions playable and/or better than VIP + Revolutions? Cause Paradox wanting $30 for 2 expansions to make a game remotely interesting is stretching it.

Yes, Victoria 2 + the expansions are excellent games in their own right now, at the very least competitive with Ricky while having an easier interface and mechanics to deal with, albeit more black-box-ish. Wait for a sale if you want, I think it's been as cheap as 10 USD for the base game + expansions.

BBJoey posted:

Yes please. I mean, it's possible to let the AI take control of all your armies in the wargame of the series, why can I not do the same in the less combat-focused games?

Agreed. Victoria could definitely profit from a Civ 4-esque approach to warfare in which the one with the most production (and manpower) will win, plus-or-minus colonial shenanigans in Vietnam and Afghanistan.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

ThePutty posted:

The level of betrayal I felt when I was criticized by goons tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to design anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

You know, I generally appreciate the SA rules against memes, catchphrases and image macros, but on some very rare occasions nothing could express my emotions better than a gif of Michael Jackson eating popcorn. Oh wait, yes they could: :smuggo:

Anyway, I've been spending some time recently thinking about alternatives for tech group based penalties in EUIV. One idea that's sort of stuck with me is a set of generic Events, Decisions and Modifiers based around stability and stagnation.

The basic idea would be that countries that had some combination of lack of stronger neighbours, lack of stronger regional powers, lack of advanced neighbours/regional powers, long periods of peace, etc, would be hit by events that gave an option for either stability/ducat/whatever loss (some sort of major immediate loss), or an increased tech cost, decreased stability cost modifier, with the AI skewed toward taking the latter. I really have barely hammered anything out on it other than the basic idea, but wanted to ask if anybody knows if it has been tried before/been successful in the past?

Defeatist Elitist fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 7, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Discussion from the last page, I just want to chime in re: historical railroading that EU2 with historical event mods were the only reason I manage a 5 on the AP Euro History test in highschool. Without EU2, I'd have had to pay an extra $1,500 in tuition during undergrad, so thank you historical railroading.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Well definitely one option that's USUALLY popular is just setting everyone's tech rate to 100% and then having it all basically be neighbor bonus based. With the tech system change I don't know EXACTLY how well it would work.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Anyway, I've been spending some time recently thinking about alternatives for tech group based penalties in EUIV. One idea that's sort of stuck with me is a set of generic Events, Decisions and Modifiers based around stability and stagnation.

The basic idea would be that countries that had some combination of lack of stronger neighbours, lack of stronger regional powers, lack of advanced neighbours/regional powers, long periods of peace, etc, would be hit by events that gave an option for either stability/ducat/whatever loss (some sort of major immediate loss), or an increased tech cost, decreased stability cost modifier, with the AI skewed toward taking the latter. I really have barely hammered anything out on it other than the basic idea, but wanted to ask if anybody knows if it has been tried before/been successful in the past?

That's basically Magna Mundi right there, except it would have to be both a stability hit and an increased stability cost modifier at the same time. And lots of pirates.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

SeaTard posted:

That's basically Magna Mundi right there, except it would have to be both a stability hit and an increased stability cost modifier at the same time. And lots of pirates.

Yes my intention is to hopefully make it it actually playable not quite as visionary.

edit: Also the idea is it would replace tech group tech rate differences. And the events would be fairly infrequent and unlikely to trigger in, say, normal European circumstances.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Defeatist Elitist posted:

You know, I generally appreciate the SA rules against memes, catchphrases and image macros, but on some very rare occasions nothing could express my emotions better than a gif of Michael Jackson eating popcorn. Oh wait, yes they could: :smuggo:

Comedy posts aside, I think he's right in perhaps the military area in these games (aside from HoI) needs more depth, just in a more meaningful purpose without it going in same sort of way the Steppe Horde system did.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
HoI is the game that needs more depth and options the most since it's all about war and for the most part the warfare in HoI is pretty dull.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

uPen posted:

HoI is the game that needs more depth and options the most since it's all about war and for the most part the warfare in HoI is pretty dull.

I remember the combat in Vic 1 being a pretty decent compromise between complexity and simplicity, I might be wrong though. As far as EU4 goes, it's pretty fine, but I think games like Vic 2 really should have had a more expanded combat system.

oh wait you mean in HoI, sure why not, as long it doesn't have 7000 provinces again

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

On the war side of things I'd like to see Victoria's combat get fleshed out a bit more. I mean, we're talking about the period in which the Great War occurred - when I think WW1 I think lines of trenches, defence in depth, human wave attacks and a contiguous frontline manned by both sides. Victoria 2's combat system where the best way to bring an enemy to the peace table is to force a single pitched battle in one specific province with all your dudes in it is just completely incapable of representing WW1.

Of course I have no idea how you would actually go about crafting a combat system that can accurately represent both 19th century and 20th century combat, but it's still my dream~

e: while I'm going on about my dreams, I really hope the next Victoria game has some sort of Conference system, where the great powers can assemble and carve up dying states like the Ottoman Empire or China or mark out territorial boundaries in Africa for example. Mods like NNM are able to kinda represent events like the Berlin Conference or the Convention of Peking through events, but they're a bit heavyhanded and having a dynamic system would be neat.

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 7, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Counters. Lots and lots and lots of counters.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Well yes I'm a huge :spergin: who actually enjoys loving around with the HoI 3 order of battle to cleanly and efficiently organise my army structure and I'd love it if V2 had a system with counters that detailed, but at the same time I understand that not everyone would enjoy Spreadsheet Simulator 1836 edition.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I'm sorry for freaking out, guys. I'm... unwell... right now. I should have dropped it as soon as I started getting mad. I apologize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DStecks posted:

I'm sorry for freaking out, guys. I'm... unwell... right now. I should have dropped it as soon as I started getting mad. I apologize.

It's okay man, happens to us all :unsmith:

• Locked thread