Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Really? The first google result for embody has them for 935 + 85 for arms. About the same as the Gesture. Something I'm missing?

Also the Embody looks diabolical from behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yip Yips posted:

Really? The first google result for embody has them for 935 + 85 for arms. About the same as the Gesture. Something I'm missing?

Also the Embody looks diabolical from behind.

Yeah, and Herman Miller makes no money at that price because it's so expensive to manufacture. So they seem to have stopped promoting it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Has anyone in Canada dealt with these guys?

http://grshop.com/herman-miller-aeron-chair-basic-aeron-chair.html

Mrs. Slidebite wants to buy me a new task chair for Christmas, and the small city we live in means it will need to be mail order. Their prices seem decent. Thoughts?

edit: Also, I'm about 6' 220 with a 38" waist, do you think I should get a "C" frame or would a "B" be better? Thanks :)

Double edit: Just read the whole thread and leaning towards an embody now. Mirra 2 aren't shown as for sale yet :(

slidebite fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 10, 2013

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I ran into my first steelcase branded chair, at a thrift store the other day. Unfortunately, it was an industrial stationary chair circa 50s-70s rather than the leap. It was 7 bucks, so I bought it. I'm impressed. The thing has a beastly cushion, actually has springs, not just foam and batting. I really want to try a criterion or leap now.

Recluse
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, I did that.
At work our area is being renovated and since we're still using left-over furniture from days long past I've been asked to request new computer desk chairs for ~26 people in the price range from $500-$1000 each. Figured I'd aim high so reading through the thread I've come up with the following in order of preference:

1. Steelcase Gesture
2. Herman Miller Embody
3. Steelcase Leap v2
4. Herman Miller Mirra

Anyone see any problems with this list or have any recommendations? I'd say we're all sitting the majority of the day at the desk using keyboard/mouse only.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The Mirra 2 is right around the corner so if you were to go that route, you'd be better off waiting to see how that one turns out by comparison.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

In other news, my company's little stack chair that has a moving seat/back just beat the Gesture for attendee's choice award at the biggest ergonomic conference in America: http://officemaster.com/about/news.php?view=news&news_id=46
And https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51865677/MMQ%20Article%20-%20Attendees%20Choice%20Award%20-%20OM5%20Active.pdf (I'm in this photo!)

:smugdog:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Rotten Red Rod posted:

In other news, my company's little stack chair that has a moving seat/back just beat the Gesture for attendee's choice award at the biggest ergonomic conference in America: http://officemaster.com/about/news.php?view=news&news_id=46
And https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51865677/MMQ%20Article%20-%20Attendees%20Choice%20Award%20-%20OM5%20Active.pdf (I'm in this photo!)

:smugdog:
Cause of that I see you guys came out with a tall-backed OM5 and dammit that fixes my one issue with the OM5 in that I want it to have a taller back.

Oh well can't really return it to the store I bought mine from for it and it's still definitely a comfortable chair.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

The Insect Court posted:

Any acceptable chairs at the ~$200 or under price point? Something that's ergonomic even if it won't last for decades. The Ikea Marcus at $200 seems to get some recommendations. Or should I toss in another 50-100 bucks and hunt for a used higher-end chair?

I actually have a Markus and wish I would've spent a bit more time and money to look for a used Mirra after all I've been reading. It wasn't so bad for the first year or so, but recently it's just become more uncomfortable and doesn't sit well to me at least. I think it might be because this wasn't designed with ergonomics in mind, the back doesn't support well at all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

When IS the Mirra 2 going to be released, it seems like it has been "coming soon" for the past 6 months.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well I just ordered a fully loaded Embody from the Herman Miller dealer in Calgary for $850 shipped to my door (I might be out a few bucks, but close). Decent deal I thought since I live 2 hours away and it'll save me the drive! That is $200 cheaper than the best online price I could find in Canada (the guys I linked above).

bull3964 posted:

When IS the Mirra 2 going to be released, it seems like it has been "coming soon" for the past 6 months.
Coincidentally, when I was at the dealer in Calgary they had the Herman Miller rep in store for a pre-launch of the Mirra 2. They were having a party for their big clients and designers. I got some decent time in it and the Mirra 1 so I was able to compare back to back. I must say, I did quite like the Mirra 2. I think it looks better too and I like the design of the back over the 1.

They said they are shooting for January 15th launch date and are confident they can make it this time. They ran into a snag in development which they wanted to correct so they had to postpone the launch for several months.

Recluse
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, I did that.
My boss called a few vendors and I guess that there is a supply issue for the Gesture and they won't be available until February, so he went ahead and ordered all Embody chairs. Not sure what all he got with them but definitely looking forward to experiencing what a real chair feels like!

^^^^^^:hfive:

Recluse fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 12, 2013

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Embody is really really nice, but very much above my price range.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
So my sad story comes to an end today when my Aeron arrives :) Having to pay for it years after I threw away my free one because I didn't know they had a 12yr warranty has been tough to swallow.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

slidebite posted:

Well I just ordered a fully loaded Embody from the Herman Miller dealer in Calgary for $850 shipped to my door (I might be out a few bucks, but close). Decent deal I thought since I live 2 hours away and it'll save me the drive! That is $200 cheaper than the best online price I could find in Canada (the guys I linked above).

Coincidentally, when I was at the dealer in Calgary they had the Herman Miller rep in store for a pre-launch of the Mirra 2. They were having a party for their big clients and designers. I got some decent time in it and the Mirra 1 so I was able to compare back to back. I must say, I did quite like the Mirra 2. I think it looks better too and I like the design of the back over the 1.

They said they are shooting for January 15th launch date and are confident they can make it this time. They ran into a snag in development which they wanted to correct so they had to postpone the launch for several months.

Where did you get your chair from? I'm in Edmonton and I've been having a hard time finding tplaces that aren't "Well you can order them, but you need to order at least 10 to make it worth our while"

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007
I'm trying to get my mom an office chair for xmas. It needs to be fairly small and available used (I don't have a large budget). I've been looking at the Steelcase Criterion, but are there any other chairs I should be looking for? Thanks in advance for any help.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ I see Aerons and Mirras up for sale on craigs/kijiji with some regularity.

That Ikea Markus seems to get a lot of love in this thread for a reasonably priced mass market chair.

Antioch posted:

Where did you get your chair from? I'm in Edmonton and I've been having a hard time finding tplaces that aren't "Well you can order them, but you need to order at least 10 to make it worth our while"

http://www.contemporary.ab.ca/

They have a location in Edmonton.

I got the best deal on graphite/graphite. Originally I was going to go with molasses color material, but for <$900 CAD$$ for a loaded Embody I wasn't going to complain and black is pretty darn safe.

These guys order chairs from Herman Miller all the time so I doubt it would be much of an issue throwing an extra chair on a PO. In fact, he didn't even wince in the slightest when I just said 1 just for myself. No haggling either as the price was pretty darn reasonable from the get go.

I suspect since you would be able to pick it up, you might even get a better deal. He didn't say I had an extra charge for delivery, but freight certainly isn't free so he probably padded the price a few bucks.

To top it off, he said he'd even warranty it for me on site, 2 hours away if necessary.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 12, 2013

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

slidebite posted:

^^ I see Aerons and Mirras up for sale on craigs/kijiji with some regularity.

That Ikea Markus seems to get a lot of love in this thread for a reasonably priced mass market chair.

http://www.contemporary.ab.ca/

They have a location in Edmonton.

I got the best deal on graphite/graphite. Originally I was going to go with molasses color material, but for <$900 I wasn't going to complain as black is pretty darn safe.

These guys order chairs from Herman Miller all the time so I doubt it would be much of an issue throwing an extra chair on a PO. In fact, he didn't even wince in the slightest when I just said 1 just for myself. No haggling either as the price was pretty darn reasonable from the get go.

I suspect since you would be able to pick it up, you might even get a better deal. He didn't say I had an extra charge for delivery, but freight certainly isn't free so he probably padded the price a few bucks.

To top it off, he said he'd even warranty it for me on site, 2 hours away if necessary.

Excellent, thank you! Now to wait for the Mirra 2 and either snag a Mirra on the cheap or be a big boy and get the new one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The Mirra 2 was pretty comfortable, I must admit. If I wasn't buying an Embody, that almost certainly would have been my choice.

They are indeed discontinuing the original Mirra when they launch the 2 next month.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

slidebite posted:

People keep mentioning this - I may have to evaluate one next time I'm at Ikea. My initial reaction is that the adjustments make it look more like a conference room chair... But for $200, even having that level of adjustment is pretty darn good. And apparently the arms are removable, which is a plus - although they're not height adjustable, which is a minus.

That said, there's no reason for the back to be that high, and I hope they don't intend anyone to actually use that headrest section. It makes my neck hurt just looking at it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That said, there's no reason for the back to be that high, and I hope they don't intend anyone to actually use that headrest section. It makes my neck hurt just looking at it.
Yeah, that is pretty high isn't it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Markus' headrest is nice for leaning back and watching a movie, but yeah, I never use it during normal use. It also isn't nearly as adjustable as every other chair in this thread, but it's solid and has a nice lumbar support bar.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

just received an email from the place where I ordered the embody advising me it is shipping right away from the factory and I should receive around January 2nd. Pretty decent service in my opinion.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Can anyone recommend a good reclining office chair? I'm looking for something that will be comfortable for watching long movies and playing games for a few hours or basically just staring at a monitor when I'm not typing. Amazon has a few but with only one picture it's hard to tell with some of them if there any good or not, a price range between 100-500$ would be ideal for me and bonus points if I can nap in it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Im_Special posted:

Can anyone recommend a good reclining office chair? I'm looking for something that will be comfortable for watching long movies and playing games for a few hours or basically just staring at a monitor when I'm not typing. Amazon has a few but with only one picture it's hard to tell with some of them if there any good or not, a price range between 100-500$ would be ideal for me and bonus points if I can nap in it.

For some reason I can only imagine this ending horribly

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How does that even work? Most of that guy's weight is not even over the base.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Cojawfee posted:

How does that even work? Most of that guy's weight is not even over the base.

I dunno man, but look how happy he looks, I wanna be that guy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I had a chance to sit in an IKEA Markus yesterday and give it a quick evaluation. My judgement: it's a good conference-style chair, and you could do a lot worse for $200, but it's not really an ergonomic chair.

The adjustments are height, tension of tilt, and 3 locking positions for the tilt. It has a synchronous tilt, which means that the back and seat tilt at the same time, with the back tilting at a greater degree than the seat. Classic conference room style mechanism, but again, not really an ergonomic chair.

It was pretty comfortable. I could see using it for an hour or two at a time, but if you're at a desk 8 hours a day, look for something with a lot more adjustments.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 30, 2013

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Just ordered a Gesture in one of the quick ship configurations. I was cross-shopping it against the Embody and some of Steelcase's cheaper chairs, but I was sold on the somewhat greater arm adjustability and the significant price difference versus the Herman Miller offerings. It also just looks cool—very modern and distinctive, but not over the top. I'll be comparing it against my experiences with Steelcase's Amia, which is about half the price but not nearly as adjustable. If the Gesture doesn't offer a significant increase in comfort versus the Amia, I have no qualms about sending it back and just ordering an Amia, since Steelcase offers free shipping for returns.

As regards the IKEA Markus, my boyfriend received one for Christmas. It's an OK chair, certainly the best ~$200 office chair I've ever sat in, but it's not without its flaws. The lumbar support is far too low to be of any practical value and can't be adjusted in any way, and the fixed arms are kind of annoying. Other than that, it's pretty comfortable, but I'd still step up to a full-blown ergonomic chair given the option.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
For any other enormously overtall gentlemen out there, you should take a look at the Ikea Marcus. At 6'8", I've found most of the high-end chairs to be too small for me, but the Ikea Marcus, while definitely still a budget chair, actually fits my comically elongated torso.

usdachoicemustache
Jul 15, 2012
Giving back to a thread that gave good advice – the Gesture I ordered last month finally showed up. Albeit without any shipping notice, so it was just sitting there on the front steps as I went to leave one morning. :argh:

Ordered it during the December Steelcase sale, after going back and forth between it and the Leap, but finally going with the Gesture because I tend to lean around a lot. So far so good, but I'm still working on the proper adjustments. Particularly with the arms, since while they're not in the way, they're not really helping out yet either. The seat itself seems very nice, though, and doesn't cause undue pressure anywhere regardless of leg positioning. It also seems to work well for sitting cross-legged or the like, though I don't suppose I should be doing that for long periods.

Surprisingly heavy, but I can dig that after dealing with a succession of crappy, unstable chairs.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
I was in a car accident last month and am having a great deal of back pain. As part of my job I sit in a chair 6-10 hrs a day. The chairs my small start up company provides are crappy ikea chairs. I would like to purchase something which will support my back and prevent slouching. Can anyone recommend a good chair(could be few hundred dollars) which could do this?

6'2
210lbs

DholmbladRU fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 6, 2014

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

It's not as fancy as the more common recommendations in this thread, but I've used a Steelcase Amia for extended periods of sitting and it was very comfortable and adjustable, especially for the price. Probably the most relevant feature that it offers is an adjustable lumbar support system. It starts at $640. Steelcase also has a few cheaper models that I don't have experience with.

I don't think any office chair is going to prevent poor posture, but a properly adjustable one should facilitate good posture.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
What's the cheapest mesh chair (Aeron knockoff, basically) that is also a reasonably good chair? Is it the one that Office Depot sells?

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/510830/Realspace-PRO-Quantum-9000-Series-Mesh/

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

greasyhands posted:

What's the cheapest mesh chair (Aeron knockoff, basically) that is also a reasonably good chair? Is it the one that Office Depot sells?

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/510830/Realspace-PRO-Quantum-9000-Series-Mesh/

I have seen second hand Aeron chairs on craigs list for about that much.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

TheJeffers posted:

It's not as fancy as the more common recommendations in this thread, but I've used a Steelcase Amia for extended periods of sitting and it was very comfortable and adjustable, especially for the price. Probably the most relevant feature that it offers is an adjustable lumbar support system. It starts at $640. Steelcase also has a few cheaper models that I don't have experience with.

I don't think any office chair is going to prevent poor posture, but a properly adjustable one should facilitate good posture.

Thanks for the information. I prefer a more high back chair. I had one of those Aeron at my old office but I switched it out for another model they had with a higher back Unfortunately I dont remember what that was..

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Does anyone know a HumanScale retailer in Canada? I'm really interested in a few of their chairs and a Float desk, but I'm having a really hard time finding any pricing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Mirra 2 is now officially on sale, list price approximately $750 before tax (it's £718 inc 20% VAT in the UK).

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Got my Gesture today.

This thing is solid. The base and back support structure are both made out of what I assume is solid steel. There's not a bit of wiggle in any portion of the chair—it definitely feels every bit of its asking price.

I also love how damped every moving part of the chair is—the swivel, height adjustment, and seat depth adjustment are all silent in operation and the knobs and levers all require minimal effort to turn. It's really leaps and bounds above the $200 Global I've been using for the past 5 years or so.

Probably the best part of this chair when compared to others I've used is the arm system. You can put them into any position you want, or just fold them down out of the way if you prefer. They don't interfere with my desk in the lowest position, which is awesome since there are times that I'd rather not rest my arms on anything.

The only problems I could foresee are that the back isn't height-adjustable and that the lumbar support is just molded into the back. It feels fine for me (I'm 6'0" and about 200lbs) but if it doesn't work for your particular body type, you're out of luck.

All in all, well worth ~$1000. I look forward to owning this for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jedit posted:

The Mirra 2 is now officially on sale, list price approximately $750 before tax (it's £718 inc 20% VAT in the UK).

That's more than I would have thought to be honest. I was able to get an Embody for $100-ish more than that, as a walk in off the street clown. I wonder if they'll discount much?

I must say, I liked the Mirra2 though. Felt pretty darn good in the 10 minutes I sat in one.

Ashley Madison posted:

Does anyone know a HumanScale retailer in Canada? I'm really interested in a few of their chairs and a Float desk, but I'm having a really hard time finding any pricing.
Gabriel Ross sells humanscale (almost bought my Herman Miller through them)

http://grshop.com/shop-by-brand/humanscale.html

Can't speak for their prices though so YMMV.

In other news, Embody is due tomorrow! :neckbeard: