Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I don't know about the reliability of the older TE 610 models...that's not the new gen 610 SM. Right side up forks, the gs500 wheel swap, different exhaust design, etc all tip it off as the old model. Do some research into reliability on the old husky engines and go from there. It will probably be a decent sumo, figure equivalent to the old gen ktm 625s, but with suspension that's a bit less nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Z3n posted:

I don't know about the reliability of the older TE 610 models...that's not the new gen 610 SM. Right side up forks, the gs500 wheel swap, different exhaust design, etc all tip it off as the old model. Do some research into reliability on the old husky engines and go from there. It will probably be a decent sumo, figure equivalent to the old gen ktm 625s, but with suspension that's a bit less nice.

Ah, thanks. If it's actually a 14-year old bike it's still potentially an OK deal, but not good enough to fly interstate for. I'll look the guy up when that's "local" for me in a couple of weeks if it hasn't been sold yet.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Pretty nice 1990 Africa twin for a steal of a price(in Norwegian prices atleast).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I am so sad that basically zero of those ever made it to the Us :(

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I found a pretty clean looking DRZ for $4k with 4393mi on it. http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4205145886.html

Good idea? Anything beyond the obvious that I should look for when I go check it out?

fakeedit: This assumes I get my finances in order by this weekend and the bike doesn't get sold before then :v:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Marxalot posted:

I found a pretty clean looking DRZ for $4k with 4393mi on it. http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4205145886.html

Good idea? Anything beyond the obvious that I should look for when I go check it out?

fakeedit: This assumes I get my finances in order by this weekend and the bike doesn't get sold before then :v:

I'll sell you mine. Just as clean IMO, 6600 miles. Mine has the full Yosh on it though and not just a slip-on. Plus bark busters, rejetted FCR carb, etc. I'm located in TX also (close to Conroe / Houston). Hit me up if you're interested via PM and I'll send off some pics.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I'll sell you mine. Just as clean IMO, 6600 miles. Mine has the full Yosh on it though and not just a slip-on. Plus bark busters, rejetted FCR carb, etc. I'm located in TX also (close to Conroe / Houston). Hit me up if you're interested via PM and I'll send off some pics.

Pm sent~

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah I'd say that that one is lacking the FCR which really wakes the bike up - this looks like a nice deal though :)

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/4247089708.html

What say you guys about this? I'm a little worried about whatever his red LED digital display stuff is, but it seems pretty solid otherwise as long as it doesn't have a mess of cracked fairings like the other one I found at this price range.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Rontalvos posted:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/4247089708.html

What say you guys about this? I'm a little worried about whatever his red LED digital display stuff is, but it seems pretty solid otherwise as long as it doesn't have a mess of cracked fairings like the other one I found at this price range.

Seems a little pricey for the age, but it looks to be in far better condition than most 500s of that age. He mentions the FOG airbox mod, which means he's on the EX-500.com forum. You could probably get on there and track it down and find more of a history of the bike, like pictures of maintenance being done on it, problems it has had in the past and been fixed, etc.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Z3n posted:

I am so sad that basically zero of those ever made it to the Us :(

There was one for sale on ADVrider in I want to say Colorado maybe last week? Not sure if it's still up. Not gonna lie, I seriously thought about spending another couple hundred on getting my unrestricted license here in Japan, then another ~$3k on an AT, even though I'd only have a year or so to ride it.

I guess the earliest ones will be legal to import to the US pretty soon though!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is this a good deal?

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/4245465449.html

edit: It's $400 below KBB value. Seem reasonable to me. Usually the type of people that put Monster stickers on motorbikes think it increases the value by about $500 apiece.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 19, 2013

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
If I had a motorcycle while in Colorado Springs, it would probably end up buried in an old BBQ joint at the base of Pike's Peak. What I'm saying is that I'd love to ride that bike down Pike's Peak.

And have some barbecue.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I lived there for about 6 months and would never do it again by choice. I will be making a trip down there this spring to ride Pike's Peak, though. Especially after watching that Asphalt and Rubber piece on the guys who raced the ZRXs in the PPIH.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Is this a good deal?

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/4245465449.html

edit: It's $400 below KBB value. Seem reasonable to me. Usually the type of people that put Monster stickers on motorbikes think it increases the value by about $500 apiece.

Yeah that's a good deal.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Is this a deal or just a scam or BS?

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/4251989507.html

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Pretty safe to say that's a scam. That's ~10k off MSRP for a 3 year old bike.

E: I did text him and he claims the price is right with a clean title but has no more pics to provide. Seems pretty sketch.

Baller Witness Bro fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 20, 2013

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
'round these parts we'd call that ad a setup

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Pretty safe to say that's a scam. That's ~10k off MSRP for a 3 year old bike.

E: I did text him and he claims the price is right with a clean title but has no more pics to provide. Seems pretty sketch.

What name did he use?

http://fyimoto.com/motorcycles/bikes-for-sale.asp?year=2010&make=DUCATI&model=HYPERMOTARD&city=ALEXANDRIA&zip=55110&vid=44940263

Same bike, more pics, same general area and a little higher price.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd go look at it, without cash. Screaming deals show up around this time sometimes...

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
After a guy tried to sell me a dual kendon trailer for $700-- and then sign a false name on the bill of sale, I'm really hesitant to deal with these sorts of people. I'm pretty sure the trailer was stolen.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

MetaJew posted:

After a guy tried to sell me a dual kendon trailer for $700-- and then sign a false name on the bill of sale, I'm really hesitant to deal with these sorts of people. I'm pretty sure the trailer was stolen.

Guy texted me back saying it's now 4000. Definitely a scam.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So what's his plan? He insists you wire the money because he's 'out of town'?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

So what's his plan? He insists you wire the money because he's 'out of town'?

It's probably stolen, been in a bad wreck, or salvage title and the guy is probably an addict. That's my experience with motorcycles and motorcycle accessories on Craig's list. :smith:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Harley-Davidson JE 1000ccm 1927 for about 19k usd.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
http://southjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/4257851124.html

Is this a good deal?

2001 BMW F650GS -- 28k miles, newer tires, great bike, hate to sell it. Have moved to Oregon and am back for the holidays. Must sell before New Year's Day. Needs new battery, I will replace it for a cash in hand serious buyer. Asking $3200 obo. Happy Holidays.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
2013 KTM Duke 690 R, $13k negotiable

Probably a bit steep at $13k, but I'm pretty sure KTM only imported two into WA in 2013, and I own the other one (which you can't have).

Edit: And this Aprilia SXV550 at $8k, which would be a perfect LAMS bike for someone you want to have killed.

Shouting Melon fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 30, 2013

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/4269415062.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

All that work for a XL? lol

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'd ride it, but not $4500 ride it.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600 for sale in Austin for 2k

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4272174119.html

Seems like a good deal since IIRC they're worth like 5 grand.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

ArbitraryTA posted:

2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600 for sale in Austin for 2k

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4272174119.html

Seems like a good deal since IIRC they're worth like 5 grand.
I bought an R6 from an ad that was nearly identical. It bent a valve on it's second track day.
The on-site mech said that all the 600 supersports are pretty much expected to break valves at around 30k miles. Don't know how true that really is, but I'm always wary of bikes like this one because of it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Still seems like you could either easily get $2k in parts out of it or completely redo the top end for less than $3k. Probably also has tons of life left if you're not hammering it on the track, either. GXSR-6 is the redheaded stepchild of the supersport world, though.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Still seems like you could either easily get $2k in parts out of it or completely redo the top end for less than $3k. Probably also has tons of life left if you're not hammering it on the track, either. GXSR-6 is the redheaded stepchild of the supersport world, though.
Yeah, I parted it out for my money's worth. Problem with a head replacement is that the piston was all dinged up, which means the crank bearings were probably scored, and who knows what else. Top-end and a piston would have run for a while, but hard to know what other damage might have been done.

Like I said, I don't know if the mech's advice of ~600cc + 30k miles = blown engine is true or not, but it makes me wary.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melbourne-region/motorcycles/drz-400-cheap/1035534177

This seems like a nice sensible bike. Kickstart drz400. Tell me why this is a bad idea.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

It looks like the rear is lowered or the rear shock is hosed. But for $2k I'd buy it. You'll need to replace the ACCT on that year model as it's prone to failure.

Edit: No mirrors? Would've thought that would block registration. That's something you'll need to replace as well but it's not gonna cost much.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 6, 2014

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

I bought an R6 from an ad that was nearly identical. It bent a valve on it's second track day.
The on-site mech said that all the 600 supersports are pretty much expected to break valves at around 30k miles. Don't know how true that really is, but I'm always wary of bikes like this one because of it.

Figured I'd point it out in case anyone on the thread wanted it. I'm a cruiser/naked bike guy aside from my soft spot for Buells so a Gixxer isn't really my thing.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Yeah, I parted it out for my money's worth. Problem with a head replacement is that the piston was all dinged up, which means the crank bearings were probably scored, and who knows what else. Top-end and a piston would have run for a while, but hard to know what other damage might have been done.

Like I said, I don't know if the mech's advice of ~600cc + 30k miles = blown engine is true or not, but it makes me wary.

Yeah I was talking more like, if you were that confident of a specific issue, you could pre-emptively pull the head and replace valves/springs/do the seats and still come out ahead. 30k miles isn't much, and while I can't imagine a life spent well north of 10k RPM is great for the top end, not every 600cc is going to have been tracked or even necessarily ridden that hard.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

It looks like if you touched it it would turn to dust like a vanquished movie mummy.