Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winky
Jan 3, 2013

ror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLCGoth
Nov 8, 2009

Glad someone else noticed that.

Powerstone
May 30, 2010

What the fuck is this?
A 540 mile per hour fast ball.

Powerstone fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 7, 2014

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Powerstone posted:

A 540 miles per hour fast ball.

Expect nothing less from the spherical coffin.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

What's with the rear end itch stuff? Was it that he couldn't wait to get his butt in the stadium seat?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I bet it's hemorrhoids.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Huh. That's a really weird mistake, considering it's written correctly in the GP Base. Then again, it's not exactly the first time I see an anime get a name right then get it wrong in the exact same chapter...

Azubah posted:

What's with the rear end itch stuff? Was it that he couldn't wait to get his butt in the stadium seat?

I spent the entire episode asking myself this. In the end, I just assumed it was weird Japanese comedy that wasn't funny at all.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Clearly Ral was literally butthurt over all the young love going on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I finally saw this episode.

A) The entire last sequence was almost a shot-for-shot reference to Whirlwind! Iron Leaguer and in particular Magnum Ace's 44 Sonic on Fire special move which Reiji performed directly as it appeared in the show. (Right down to slamming into a baseball bat and sending the opponent flying.) Much of the same staff worked on Iron Leaguer and G Gundam and I can't help but wonder if some of them worked on this episode too.

B) It's really dumb how Reiji's injured wrist didn't matter in the slightest. He got three pitches at full power which is what he would have gotten even without an injured wrist, and he was at a handicap against a pro baseball player while having never played baseball himself which was similarly gimmick-handicap without the injured wrist. It didn't actually seem to matter to anything

Edit: And of course Reiji and Sei rolled 44, thus setting up the entire god damned 44 Sonic thing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 7, 2014

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Azubah posted:

This is someone's theory:

quote:

I think it might be "shiri ga aoi"? something about an inexperienced, still maturing rear end?

and Ral is just going all "ohhh look at these young kids experiencing love for the first time!"

I can't search butts anymore so I'll accept that

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

B) It's really dumb how Reiji's injured wrist didn't matter in the slightest. He got three pitches at full power which is what he would have gotten even without an injured wrist,

Full power? Luang was pretty disappointed with the first two balls. More than that, the injury gave Sei a valid reason to bust out his final trump card and served to push along the Reiji/Ayla subplot.

It is kind of a shame the writers don't seem to be taking the chance to have the protagonists actually lose while they can though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Full power? Luang was pretty disappointed with the first two balls. More than that, the injury gave Sei a valid reason to bust out his final trump card and served to push along the Reiji/Ayla subplot.

It is kind of a shame the writers don't seem to be taking the chance to have the protagonists actually lose while they can though.

Sei had a valid reason to begin with. They were up against a cartoonishly skilled baseball player and Reiji had literally never played Baseball before in his life. The wrist thing had no actual impact on their success and you could have cut it from the episode and not lost anything.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Azubah posted:

He's getting goosebumps at all the lovey dovey crap.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That episode was fantastic. I could not stop laughing the minute the stadium popped up and it just kept getting better from there. Especially the little batter's hat perched on Luang's suit's head horn thing.

I love this big dumb show so much, and I recognize maybe a third of the suits at best.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 7, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Might as well post this here too.

I challenge everyone with gunpla to try and do this pose better than the RX-78-2 2.0. Without an Action Base. :colbert:
If you have the Blue Frame 2nd R you basically win.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

I challenge everyone with gunpla to try and do this pose better than the RX-78-2 2.0. Without an Action Base. :colbert:

You're lucky i'm working in Alberta, and my Blue Frame is still in its "you want NONE of this." pose.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Really enjoyed the episode. For some reason I enjoy the Reiji and Aila subplot. Kinda disappointed the battle with the Thai champ wasn't really a fight at all. Also the RG system making the Star Build upgrade from HG to RG was a wtf moment in my head. First time I've heard of 44 being an unlucky number. Really want to know what was going on with Ral's rear end.

I'm surprised that no one has pointed out the best worst mobile armor ever that is appearing in the next episode.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
4 is unlucky because in Japanese it sounds like death or something, so 44 must be double unlucky.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

I like the clay baseball cap.

The next event seems to be some kind of Wacky Races/Steel Ball Run thing.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sindai posted:

4 is unlucky because in Japanese it sounds like death or something, so 44 must be double unlucky.

To clarify, Japan has two different names for the number four yon and shi, based around how they adopted the language and writing. The latter pronunciation, Shi, can also mean death, among other things and is considered an unlucky number. Likewise nine, or Ku, is considered unlucky because it sounds like the word for torture, while eight is sometimes considered lucky due to the shape of the Kanji.

Among other things, Nippon airlines don't have any #4 or #9 seats on their planes.

As far as the rear end itching, its kinda a rare thing but my best guess is that it is supposed to be a joking superstitious response to the upcoming 44. Like how you sneeze when someone is talking about you... but with your rear end itching.

Japanese people are strange sometimes.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm hoping Ral's itchy rear end turns into a major plot thing. Like that's how he senses Newtypes or something. "Asscatches".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

muike posted:

I bet it's hemorrhoids.

Maybe it's a tumor.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Caros posted:

To clarify, Japan has two different names for the number four yon and shi, based around how they adopted the language and writing. The latter pronunciation, Shi, can also mean death, among other things and is considered an unlucky number. Likewise nine, or Ku, is considered unlucky because it sounds like the word for torture, while eight is sometimes considered lucky due to the shape of the Kanji.

Among other things, Nippon airlines don't have any #4 or #9 seats on their planes.

As far as the rear end itching, its kinda a rare thing but my best guess is that it is supposed to be a joking superstitious response to the upcoming 44. Like how you sneeze when someone is talking about you... but with your rear end itching.

Japanese people are strange sometimes.

In China, Japan, Korea and Vietnam, the number 4 is considered to be unlucky because it's a homophone with "death" in pretty much all of those languages (not sure about Vietnamese actually). It can get really bad in Hong Kong when buildings omit every floor that ends in 4 and also the number 13.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Eej posted:

In China, Japan, Korea and Vietnam, the number 4 is considered to be unlucky because it's a homophone with "death" in pretty much all of those languages (not sure about Vietnamese actually). It can get really bad in Hong Kong when buildings omit every floor that ends in 4 and also the number 13.

Vietnam inheriting unlucky number 4 from China is news to me, though googling it seems to confirm it from Sino-Vietnamese. They're not homophones in native Vietnamese anyways.

As for the itchy butt thing, I want to say it's referring to the idiom 尻が青い, which literally means to have a blue butt, but means something similar to "wet behind the ears/inexperienced/immaturity" but I don't recall what Ramba Ral specifically said, and it's a googled guess on my part.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Staff for upcoming episodes.

Ep15
Script: Yousuke Kuroda
Storyboard: Yoshiharu Ashino
Episode Director: Seung Hui Son
Character Animation Director: Kenichi Ohnuki
Mecha Animation Director: Masami Obari
Ep16
Storyboard: Kazuo Sakai
Episode Director: Kazuki Tsunoda
Character Animation Director: Tetsuya Matsukawa
Mecha Animation Director: Se Jun Kim
Ep17
Storyboard: Shinya Watada
Episode Director: Shinya Watada
Character Animation Director: Kayo Ikeda
Mecha Animation Director: Munetaka Abe

Continues to deliver, Bari then back to Kim.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Can anyone explain to me what this whole HG/RG thing is? I have no idea about Gunpla (more than what I learned from this series), and people keep pointing out that the Star Build Strike went from a HG to RG.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Can anyone explain to me what this whole HG/RG thing is? I have no idea about Gunpla (more than what I learned from this series), and people keep pointing out that the Star Build Strike went from a HG to RG.

There are different grades for the quality of the model. Real Grades are a step above HGs in terms of part quality, quantity, complexity and flexibility while retaining the size and affordability. When people said it went "RG" they mean that you could see its "skeleton" or inner frame, one of the characteristics of this line.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

Best I can manage with the Zaku Amazing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is a high grade. It's a a 1/144 scale model of the Gundam, and it's completely hollow. Just plastic fitted together like lego.

This is a real grade. It's again a 1/144 scale model, but on the inside it looks like

The Build Strike didn't literally turn into a RG, the writers just used that acronym as a joke. I half expect to see MG or PG later on.

Also the joke is actually two fold as far as I can tell. Not only does the Build Strike have an inner frame, but it's also referencing the Strike Freedom's inner phase-shift armor gimmick. Hence the glowing.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 7, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I am surprised no one mentioned the best surprising part of the episode: Johnny Ridden got acknowledged in the same tier of pilots as Char and Gato.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ready to BUY GUNPLA NOW, folks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyiGiegUm5c

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I loving hate that I have to load up a vpn to watch this. PR is part of the US you know :colbert:

vvvv
The music itself is worse but everything else is way better. Hahaha "Perfect SHits

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 13, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The new OP isn't as great as the first one. :smith: but It seems like that Exia variant that was rumored is the chairman's

Edit: Ramba Ral :black101:

Zedd fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 13, 2014

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Of course Astray uses Fuinsaiki! Of course!

Also Maxter! And Ral was amazing. Sei-mom still the best.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That "the final shot" diorama in the new ED made me very happy, the lyrics in the translation that I saw on the other hand are ridiculous. "Short pants spirit" :v:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Actual Shining Finger in the new OP! :swoon:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
So Ramba Ral is actually just as old as Gundam itself?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Will Sei's mom ever stop having the most entertaining reactions? I don't think so.

Good episode, new intro isn't quite as good as the last one. Its by no means bad, just that the first OP was so amazing that it was hard to top. Really looking forward to next week's episode as they've got good tension for it and its back to actual gunpla 'battle'.

What was up with the Build MkII in the team battle anyways? The battle card at the end lists it as the Star Build Strike. It also really bugged me that they didn't take a pot shot at the BaCue at the end there.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

So Ramba Ral is actually just as old as Gundam itself?
China's reaction is the joke. Ral is supposed to be 35 in first gundam too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Caros posted:

It also really bugged me that they didn't take a pot shot at the BaCue at the end there.

Same, just loving shoot it.

• Locked thread