Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Any gnawing rodent would tear that thing apart in like 4 days. I could see it working for amphibians or bugs if you kept it in the sun.

vegemitesandwhich posted:

The best part about the Bio Bubble is that it changes when you do...

Translation: When your negligence paired with the unsuitability of the enclosure finishes off Jaws/Nibbles/Slinky/Bugsy. I'm picturing a somber family with a young kid going down the list of pets and converting the tank when another "mysteriously" dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahah, one of the complaints on Amazon about it are, besides shoddy construction and misleading information about size/inhabitants, are that if you overfill it and squeeze the accordian back down, all the extra water shoots out the top. And the accordian sides pop eventually. :v:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

SynthOrange posted:

Hahahah, one of the complaints on Amazon about it are, besides shoddy construction and misleading information about size/inhabitants, are that if you overfill it and squeeze the accordian back down, all the extra water shoots out the top. And the accordian sides pop eventually. :v:

Wait, are you trying to say I can't collapse it and pull it back up 20 times a day without spilling water/killing my fish? gently caress this poo poo!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Boo, you are right though it is cold as balls here. Do prices go up when the weather is too hot/cold because of the need for more packing material?

Some people refuse to ship when it is too cold or hot because of the incurred expense that buyers are not willing to absorb or they just don't want to risk shipping live animals when there is a good chance they will die in transit. I personally would never ship with either extreme. I for one would not like to be thrown into a shipping container and abused in the same fashion packages are handled by the shipping companies. I worked a summer part time in one of the carriers, I have horror stories about your 'fragile' package.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Shot of the new tank, and then a few close ups of some of the guys living in it.

DSC_6612.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6627.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6655.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6667.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6674.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6703.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6665.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Here's the latest pictures from my effort to build my own background. I just finished painting it using drylok and acrylic paint. Surprisingly, I didn't do a terrible job like I thought I would, and it can pass as a rock quite easily. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell since I used my lovely cellphone camera to take pictures, and the seam between the two pieces is visible at the moment. Either way, I like it enough that I will be applying the silicone tomorrow. After that I'll paint the back outside panel of the tank while waiting the week for the drylok and silicone to cure. I am hopeful that it truly doesn't impact the water balance as the other people who've used this stuff have claimed. After filling and draining it a few times, I'll let it sit for a week and test the water. Then it will be time for substrate.

E: ^^^ Your fish and tank look outstanding!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That background looks awesome, you did a really good job painting it. Can't wait to see some tank pics once you're all done!

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Goldmund posted:

That background looks awesome, you did a really good job painting it. Can't wait to see some tank pics once you're all done!

Thanks, it honestly turned out better tan I expected.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks real pretty. :allears: What're the holes on the bottom for, plants? How far up do you imagine putting substrate on it? Have you done any tests on how durable the surface treatment is before you end up with exposed styrofoam?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

SynthOrange posted:

Have you done any tests on how durable the surface treatment is before you end up with exposed styrofoam?
I've had a drylok coated foam structure in my turtle's tank for a little over a year now, and it has held up fine to her climbing all over it. Her claws have had no effect. I also for awhile was scrubbing it with a pretty stiff brush to get rid of algae, with no damage done. She has however started chewing on it, and that hasn't gone well so I am currently rebuilding it with a couple coats of concrete. I know I read at some point about someone's loaches chewing apart their drylok/foam background as well. As long as you don't have some rear end in a top hat animal chewing it though, you are in the clear.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

SynthOrange posted:

Looks real pretty. :allears: What're the holes on the bottom for, plants? How far up do you imagine putting substrate on it? Have you done any tests on how durable the surface treatment is before you end up with exposed styrofoam?

Yeah, the holes are for some of the background plants that I want to be up closer to the back wall. I'll be going to about 1 1/2 in. of the organic topsoil, with a 1/2 in. playsand cap. It should take the sand just over to the top of that base.

I did some tests with the drylok a bit ago and was quite surprised by its durability. It was taking light hammer hits and I could flex the painted styrofoam with no visible impact. The background has four coats on it, and actually feels like rock on the surface. I have also heard that loaches and plecos will strip the drylok off over time, but I'm not planning on adding any fish that may nibble at it.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
I got rid of my Bristlenose Pleco today, and replaced it with a pair of German blue rams instead of another school of tetras. I spent 3 hours getting them ready for their entrance into the tank, it seems like it went well, they had very little colour when I first got them in there but they're brightening up already. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks if they decide to die on me (I really hope not!). I'll be testing the water every couple of days now to make sure it stays where it has been. I'm not sure if not having the BN making GBS threads up the place will change it much or not.

My Julii corys are going crazy now too, as soon as I took the BN out they came out of hiding. Hopefully they'll stop darting into cover whenever I walk past the tank now.

e; spelling

Ansith fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 8, 2014

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Ansith posted:

I got rid of my Bristlenose Pleco today, and replaced it with a pair of German blue rams instead of another school of tetras. I spent 3 hours getting them ready for their entrance into the tank, it seems like it went well, they had every little colour when I first got them in there but they're brightening up already. I guess I'll find out in a few weeks if they decide to die on me (I really hope not!). I'll be testing the water every couple of days now to make sure it stays where it has been. I'm not sure if not having the BN making GBS threads up the place will change it much or not.

My Julii corys are going crazy now too, as soon as I took the BN out they came out of hiding. Hopefully they'll stop darting into cover whenever I walk past the tank now.

I have noticed that the GBR's change color depending on their conditions, moods etc. At times they can be very vibrant and full of color then other times they are bleh. One of the pair, I have two females, can sometimes have super coloration and then meh. I keep up with the tank and the water parameters are pretty rock solid all the time so I guess it may be mood swings? They are women after all. ;)

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

demonR6 posted:

I have noticed that the GBR's change color depending on their conditions, moods etc. At times they can be very vibrant and full of color then other times they are bleh. One of the pair, I have two females, can sometimes have super coloration and then meh. I keep up with the tank and the water parameters are pretty rock solid all the time so I guess it may be mood swings? They are women after all. ;)

I had to go to two different stores to get a pair, the first store I went to only had one (I really should have looked around first before buying, the second store had plenty - I was just thinking it would be a little bit harder to get than it was). I should have confirmed what gender it was before buying, I was told female but now that the colour is coming back I'm starting to think male, which is going to suck because the second one I got is about half the size and is definitely male. Maybe I'll get to see some better colours tomorrow, fingers crossed I won't have more fighting in the tank.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ansith posted:

I had to go to two different stores to get a pair, the first store I went to only had one (I really should have looked around first before buying, the second store had plenty - I was just thinking it would be a little bit harder to get than it was). I should have confirmed what gender it was before buying, I was told female but now that the colour is coming back I'm starting to think male, which is going to suck because the second one I got is about half the size and is definitely male. Maybe I'll get to see some better colours tomorrow, fingers crossed I won't have more fighting in the tank.

1 male, two females is what I was told on how to pair them. Honestly I have had the two females now for about six months and they get along fine. They are in a planted 55 and don't get too much into trouble with each other. If it has a pink belly, it is a she. Males can have a bit of pink but females are well noticeable and stand out. A couple of other tips on sexing them.. the females have more of a rounded tail and the male has a 'V' shape with 'sharp' corners on them, males have an elongated second line on the dorsal fin and the males anal and dorsal fins are more pointed.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

big dig posted:

Hey Guys!

After a long absence from keeping fish, and having a young toddler who thinks fish are the poo poo, my wife suggested we get a fish. She thought we should get a betta, but I wanted Cichlids, African Cichlids. The only thing I was told was to not make it look tacky. She also gave me a budget of $100... ha!

I went searching for fish tanks I like, and found this tank right here.

Its a giant edge.. where did you find it? I really like the form factor, I could build a crazy LED kit to reef it out, or plant the hell out of it because oxygen exchange isnt a big deal in a heavily planted tank, would definitely need CO2 though.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
I am still trying to determine what apistos I want to go with once my 120 gallon is ready to go in a few months (hopefully). I am leaning towards the Cockatoo Cichlid (Apistogramma cacatuoides) and was wondering if anyone has experience with these little guys? My main quesiton is are they fish that prefer being in a pairs, or would it be wiser to go with a group of around 2 males and 4-5 females?

pettifogged
Nov 5, 2008
Came home from work today to find my first ever, and still favourite, betta dead. He was stuck inside an ornament and wedged his head into the roots of the tree stump and presumably suffocated. RIP Trevor, best stupid fish :(

Worst thing is it didn't look like he'd been dead long, maybe if someone had noticed a couple of hours earlier he would have been ok. :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sorry to hear that. For all their personality, they're still fish, not all that bright sometimes.

So, my loach aggression problem looks to be just the fault of the individual I isolated. All the other fish's fin damage is healing up with no new injuries showing up. I'm wondering if I should reintroduce that one chain loach again, and hope his time out has calmed him down a bit, or if I'll have to keep him permanently seperated.

Still too traumatized to rest on anything near the ground though.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 12, 2014

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have A modest proposal.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 12, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

But he's so tiny!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Most of the soups here are super watered down, it'd be extra authentic.

My amanos have a case of the zoomies tonight, they're zipping around like crazy. Think it's because I gave them a nice big lettuce leaf last night, this morning I'd say 80% of it was gone. I'm worried because there's almost no algae in the tank and my otos aren't as fat as I'd like.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I've tried looking around a bit online, but haven't really found good examples from anything but one or two custom people. Do they make rimless 40G breeder tanks that aren't absurdly expensive?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I appear to have fewer shrimps and snails now. I hope they're all just hiding. :negative:

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

SynthOrange posted:

I appear to have fewer shrimps and snails now. I hope they're all just hiding. :negative:

All you've done is taught that loach to be sneakier with his murderous ways.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah... still it's not right to euth a fish just because he's a murderous bastard though. Or is it? :unsmigghh:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I kill snails for much, much less.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, but I bought snails expressly for snack/clean up crew purposes. Killing a fish that I bought to take care of and enjoy just because it's causing inconvenience just doesnt sit right. Then of course it murdered a whole lot of snails and shrimp and is causing grief to the other fish. Ugh. Moved him back into the main tank and will pick up a small confinement box that can sit in there and hold him until I can find someone willing to take him. Had to take pretty much everything out of the tank before I could get at him, so it was a chance to finally try assess how much loving peacock moss I have.

Yeah, about a volleyball.

Guess I'll start selling small balls of the stuff. Anyone in Australia (barring WA and TAS) interested?

Also I definitely wasnt imagining it. There's much fewer shrimp. :smith:

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Maybe a new home will cool his gills a little bit.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

So I had a really fatass platy that I assumed was just overfed, but after a recent water change I noticed 2 small baby platies in the tank.

What is the likelihood that I just committed fish genocide on a bunch of baby fish from pulling out and scrubbing all my fake plants and fake shipwreck? :(

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

w00tmonger posted:

So I had a really fatass platy that I assumed was just overfed, but after a recent water change I noticed 2 small baby platies in the tank.

What is the likelihood that I just committed fish genocide on a bunch of baby fish from pulling out and scrubbing all my fake plants and fake shipwreck? :(

Platys are livebearers, so you may have provided a greater opportunity for the babies to be eaten, but I doubt you killed any yourself.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
One of my new platys is very aggressive. Not with other fish, with me. I didn't think this would be a problem with docile community fish but within seconds of putting my arm in the water it will charge and begin the nipping until I take it out. I am a thousand times larger than you you dumb fish. :catstare:

At least it fears the gravel vacuum.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean
One of my GBRs died :(

Came home and couldn't see it at all, managed to find it half wedged under some of the driftwood. It was the bigger of the two and spent most of its time hiding from every other fish in the tank, it would also chase the smaller one any chance it got. I'd only ever seen it eat once as well, I guess that might have been a factor in it's death.

The other one is looking great now though, it's the complete opposite. It's always out at the front of the tank poking around the substrate for food, I'm seeing a lot of it's colour now too.

I also decided to buy a canister filter last Friday. An Eheim 2213 Classic. I had no idea (either did google) what the specs were of the filter set up I had so replacing it seemed like a good idea. The corys are loving the current from the spray bar, they seem to be having way too much fun.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love my canister. Never running a tank without one again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So in canisters, the impellers are after the filter media right? This is true of all canisters?

There've also been one chinese branded line that's apparently just a factory branded version of a pretty reliable, more expensive brand around, which one's that?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Sacro posted:

One of my new platys is very aggressive. Not with other fish, with me. I didn't think this would be a problem with docile community fish but within seconds of putting my arm in the water it will charge and begin the nipping until I take it out. I am a thousand times larger than you you dumb fish. :catstare:

At least it fears the gravel vacuum.

I had weather loaches and mollys that did this. I never looked at it as aggression, as it seemed like they were checking my arm for food rather than thinking it was food. I also had cichlids and a really mean Oscar that I had to fend off with a net when I cleaned, so it could have skewed my perspective on what my more peaceful fish were doing.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

SynthOrange posted:

So in canisters, the impellers are after the filter media right? This is true of all canisters?

There've also been one chinese branded line that's apparently just a factory branded version of a pretty reliable, more expensive brand around, which one's that?

SunSun is the off-label version of AquaTop which is itself not terribly expensive. I think demonr6 runs a SunSun and likes it. Marineland is supposedly also the same hardware, but they look pretty different to me.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I have two SunSun canisters @240 GPH running on my 55 right now. It really keeps the water clean and serves as not only a backup when I take one down for maintenance but also if one shits the bed, I have a working unit and don't have to run out in a panic to find a solution. It is twice the expense in one shot but the SunSun canisters are not all that expensive and pretty reliable by everything I had read prior to buying them. Mine have been in service now going on two years and I won't say anything positive beyond that so as not to jinx myself but lets say I have no complaints.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
So... I was gifted a 6gal edge and have taken my time setting it up. got a cycle going, added some plants, tested water for a few weeks and finally put a tetra in there. And now... snails!!! I wanted a dwarf puffer from the get-go, but am a beginner and was worried about the difficulty of a brackish water setup. But now that I read more there seems to be differing opinions on whether dwarfs are brackish or freshwater fish? anyone have ideas? would anything else small enough for such a tiny tank take care of my burgeoning snail population?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Nichol posted:

So... I was gifted a 6gal edge and have taken my time setting it up. got a cycle going, added some plants, tested water for a few weeks and finally put a tetra in there. And now... snails!!! I wanted a dwarf puffer from the get-go, but am a beginner and was worried about the difficulty of a brackish water setup. But now that I read more there seems to be differing opinions on whether dwarfs are brackish or freshwater fish? anyone have ideas? would anything else small enough for such a tiny tank take care of my burgeoning snail population?
Assassin snails. And plenty of people keep dwarf puffers in freshwater with no problems, but they are mean little fish. They will harass your tetra.