Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Huntersoninski posted:

Is mononessa a low dose? Because I am also experiencing odd periods, but it's only been a couple months and I am hoping it's just an adjustment period til my body gets sorted out.

It looks like Mononessa is just another name for Ortho-Cyclen and isn't really a low dose pill. Or at least I know I was on a low dose pill (Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo) and they switched to something with the same dosage as Mononessa when I had some libido problems.

What kind of problems are you having? It's common to have what's known as "breakthrough bleeding" with the pill or are you having like weird symptoms during your period or? I used to get spotting and weirdness occasionally too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
My period started four days late last month. This month, five days early. It was supposed to start today but it's been going all week. No end in sight, just as heavy today as when it started.

I'm told it can take up to six months for your body to settle into the treatment but god drat. I was prepared for spotting and irregularities not forever flows :(

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Huntersoninski posted:

My period started four days late last month. This month, five days early. It was supposed to start today but it's been going all week. No end in sight, just as heavy today as when it started.

I'm told it can take up to six months for your body to settle into the treatment but god drat. I was prepared for spotting and irregularities not forever flows :(

Early/late according to your usual cycle or the pill? Because you're on the pill's schedule now instead of your body's own, so you can't go by what your previous cycle was. And like we posted before, your period will start about 3-4 days after your first placebo pill so that's not really late.

I'm not sure about the "forever period." Best advice I can think of is to keep taking your pill as usual and maybe talk to your doctor to see what their advice is.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I'm going according to when the pill says my period should be. I'll have to talk to my doctor if next month doesn't even it out.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Huntersoninski posted:

I'm going according to when the pill says my period should be. I'll have to talk to my doctor if next month doesn't even it out.

Yeah I don't know why it would come early, but your period will always take a few days to start after you take the placebo pills so starting a few days into the week isn't really late at all. Mine would always start anywhere from Tuesday to Thursday (after starting the placebos on Sunday).

Bacteriophage
May 2, 2005
CELLUAR LYSIS!
Had a followup with my doc to check on the Mirena.

I had a bunch of concerns coming in because I've only been able to feel the drat strings once and it's been making me a paranoid mess - and you know what makes that even better, googling symptoms yaayy. So my doc checked me out and said, "Yup strings still there, you're good. Also stop Googling these things" and said I can come in at any time if I wanted to get my strings checked.

She pulled out some little uterus model with an IUD in it and showed me how much string she left (she said she always leaves the strings a little longer at first) and showed me about how much was poking out of my dumb cervix (teeny tiny amount and they've already managed to curl around so yay?). She said she sees this a lot with the Mirena and that it's not that big of a deal if you can't feel the strings. I asked her about it falling out and how would I know.

"Well you'd see it"

She then told me to stop freaking out (in nicer terms) and she's only seen an IUD expulsion twice - both in women who have had children and had, quote, "a very big uterus." She said she had also heard from colleagues about it possibly expelling if a woman has a particularly heavy period and some huge chunk of lining knocks it out, but that shouldn't be the case with the Mirena because it thins out the lining and all.

I dunno it still freaks me out. At least with the pill, I take it every day so there's some feeling of control and maybe I'd feel better about this if I could feel the dumb strings but ugh. Oh and because I'm super paranoid about pregnancy, I'm fairly certain I'll be in that percentage whose period just disappears right off the bat so going to buy those bulk tests to take every couple of weeks, horray. I guess we're going to be using condoms for the next month until I calm down about it, but how do you learn to trust the thing? Do I eventually just accept the Mirena is working its dark magic and just go with it?

Birth control is so stressful

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Bacteriophage posted:

I dunno it still freaks me out. At least with the pill, I take it every day so there's some feeling of control and maybe I'd feel better about this if I could feel the dumb strings but ugh. Oh and because I'm super paranoid about pregnancy, I'm fairly certain I'll be in that percentage whose period just disappears right off the bat so going to buy those bulk tests to take every couple of weeks, horray. I guess we're going to be using condoms for the next month until I calm down about it, but how do you learn to trust the thing? Do I eventually just accept the Mirena is working its dark magic and just go with it?

Birth control is so stressful

You will. I felt like this early on, like "Oh god my birth control's effectiveness relies entirely on this thing being in the right place!" and it did feel a lot like I had no control over it (you might even find some posts in this thread about it :v: ). Eventually over the test of time I've learned to trust it - it's been almost a year and it's clearly working.

In my case though it probably helped that I could find my strings and with Paragard your periods don't usually disappear, but you'll get there. I usually don't even bother checking them anymore unless something seems really different.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009
Well, I took my paragard out. On my first period since and it's amazing by comparison. I really loved the convenience factor of the IUD, but the tradeoff is no longer there for me. I may go on it again some day, but I think my long term BC after sprogs will have to be getting my tubes tied or my partner having a vasectomy. My periods are SO much better with no hormones or devices, it's like night and day.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I've never been able to feel my strings. High cervix, fat tummy, short fingers. Just can't get 'em up there. It freaked me out at first, but once I realized there were no IUDs in my panties and my period was still gone, I figured it was up there doing its thang.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Moto Punch posted:

Well, I took my paragard out. On my first period since and it's amazing by comparison. I really loved the convenience factor of the IUD, but the tradeoff is no longer there for me. I may go on it again some day, but I think my long term BC after sprogs will have to be getting my tubes tied or my partner having a vasectomy. My periods are SO much better with no hormones or devices, it's like night and day.

Glad to hear you're feeling better! It really is a mixed bag. I have some periods that are a breeze and then some that feel like I've kicked right in the uterus for like 2 days. :v: They're shorter though for some reason, which is odd for a non-hormonal method, but cool!

I hope you find a better method that works for you. :)

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

appleskates posted:

Yes. I took Lo LoEstrin for about six months, and I hated it. Most months I had what was either breakthrough bleeding or a full period in the middle of the cycle, and some months I spotted all month long. My doctor put me on Ortho Tricyclen a couple of months ago and my periods are totally normal like clockwork, every 28 days. It's awesome.
I used a different low-dose pill (Alesse) and loved it. My periods were short and basically insignificant things that happened every 30 days like clockwork. If I ever go back on bc I'll definitely request the same pills.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I'm considering Nexplanon but the whole irregular periods thing is really unappealing. I was on NuvaRing (which was great, but getting expensive), and I liked being able to know and somewhat control when my period was coming. My periods off bc are somewhat irregular and heavy, and I'm worried the Nexplanon will make it worse.

Can someone who has used Implanon/Nexplanon provide some insight? How annoying is it? Is there any warning for when you might get a period or spotting?

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

taco show posted:

I'm considering Nexplanon but the whole irregular periods thing is really unappealing. I was on NuvaRing (which was great, but getting expensive), and I liked being able to know and somewhat control when my period was coming. My periods off bc are somewhat irregular and heavy, and I'm worried the Nexplanon will make it worse.

Can someone who has used Implanon/Nexplanon provide some insight? How annoying is it? Is there any warning for when you might get a period or spotting?

I'm one of the lucky 20% who has no period or spotting at all on Nexplanon and it owns, but when I was considering this option my GP suggested I give a 3-month trial of progesterone-only pills(I was on combined before) to see how I might react to the hormonal change. That went swimmingly - no bleed at all - so I was happy to go ahead with the implant. You don't necessarily react in exactly the same way to the implant as the pill, but it might give you an idea how things will go down.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

taco show posted:

Are you in the US? Are you grandfathered in with old insurance or has your policy renewed yet? Your birth control should be copay free starting really soon so maybe call your insurance to ask what the deal is rather than change away from a BC you like.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

taco show posted:

My body gives me a few hours warning when my Kramer-like period is going to show up, but it's 100% random, it seems. I can go months without one and get three really short (like 3 days of bleeding) on 2 weeks. But for me it's also 100% worth it to not have to spend any time thinking about birth control.

Mine were also really heavy off bc but have lightened significantly since I started on any hormonal bc, Implanon included.
It's really kind of random what side effects you do/not get, though.

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

taco show posted:

The first few months after I got Nexplanon, I would get very light spotting every so often - I could only really tell when I went to the toilet - and that would last a week or two at a time. I've also had a couple of periods which were no flow but lots of clots - blergh - but I got some crampy warning before that happened. The last couple of months, though, I've had no periods and no spotting. I also don't get any of the PMS and junk I used to before. It's awesome.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Hello again, thread! As I mentioned the last time I posted, my girlfriend is still coming down off her Depo shots from last year (as in, she had two periods in 10 days because her hormones are still really messed up) and we've been talking about what kind of BC she wants to use once her body is back to normal.

She has categorically ruled out anything hormonal, which is very understandable given her experience, and we tried a diaphragm but she found that to be extremely unsatisfactory. She also has said she is very uncomfortable with the notion of any kind of implant, for reasons that I don't really understand, but then again it is her body and not mine so I am not in a position to decide, really. Both of us find condoms a little less fun or convenient than we would like, though the lack of mess is definitely a plus.

Her first choice right now seems to be natural family planning, using condoms when she is fertile but going without at other times. She keeps telling me that, when done correctly, it has a 95% success rate at preventing babies, but honestly I feel very uncomfortable with those odds (20:1). We both want to have kids (ideally with each other) in the next few years, so ligation or vasectomy are not options. However, having kids NOW would not work for us, despite how good-looking and intelligent they would be.

I don't think I would feel comfortable having sex without any method in place besides a calendar and thermometer, to the extent that I don't know if I could even go through with it. Neither of us has any religious objections to using birth control, but we also really don't want her to get pregnant. So what other options do we have?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Apollodorus posted:

Hello again, thread! As I mentioned the last time I posted, my girlfriend is still coming down off her Depo shots from last year (as in, she had two periods in 10 days because her hormones are still really messed up) and we've been talking about what kind of BC she wants to use once her body is back to normal.

She has categorically ruled out anything hormonal, which is very understandable given her experience, and we tried a diaphragm but she found that to be extremely unsatisfactory. She also has said she is very uncomfortable with the notion of any kind of implant, for reasons that I don't really understand, but then again it is her body and not mine so I am not in a position to decide, really. Both of us find condoms a little less fun or convenient than we would like, though the lack of mess is definitely a plus.

Her first choice right now seems to be natural family planning, using condoms when she is fertile but going without at other times. She keeps telling me that, when done correctly, it has a 95% success rate at preventing babies, but honestly I feel very uncomfortable with those odds (20:1). We both want to have kids (ideally with each other) in the next few years, so ligation or vasectomy are not options. However, having kids NOW would not work for us, despite how good-looking and intelligent they would be.

I don't think I would feel comfortable having sex without any method in place besides a calendar and thermometer, to the extent that I don't know if I could even go through with it. Neither of us has any religious objections to using birth control, but we also really don't want her to get pregnant. So what other options do we have?

If hormones are completely off the table, then her most reliable option is pretty much the copper IUD/Paragard (which it sounds like she's already sort of ruled out with the no implants thing since it's kind of like an implant). Other than that it's going to be barrier methods like condoms/diaphragms/cervical caps or Fertility Awareness which you said you're uncomfortable with. So honestly unless one of you can compromise a bit you may have a problem.

I've heard of other non-hormonal stuff like Saheli that some people have been able to obtain somehow, but it's only legal in India so smuggling it in isn't exactly recommended.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Sounds like you guys will have to compromise somewhere. Let's go with the assumption that whatever method you use needs to be hormone free. Options: paraguard, always using condoms, or rhythm-method+condoms.

Gf doesn't want an inserted method, neither of you wants to always use condoms, and you feel that rhythm is too-risky.

I would defer to her choice; ultimately it is her body that would/might become pregnant. Maybe direct her to this thread to read others experiences with the Paraguard IUD? If she definitely does not want to use that method, it's up to the both of you to decide what you do going forward.

Isn't "typical usage" for condoms around 90% as it is?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

fork bomb posted:

Sounds like you guys will have to compromise somewhere. Let's go with the assumption that whatever method you use needs to be hormone free. Options: paraguard, always using condoms, or rhythm-method+condoms.

Gf doesn't want an inserted method, neither of you wants to always use condoms, and you feel that rhythm is too-risky.

I would defer to her choice; ultimately it is her body that would/might become pregnant. Maybe direct her to this thread to read others experiences with the Paraguard IUD? If she definitely does not want to use that method, it's up to the both of you to decide what you do going forward.

Isn't "typical usage" for condoms around 90% as it is?

Typical use failure rates are anywhere from 10-18% depending on your source. Which doesn't seem too bad really if you're combining it with serious, well done fertility awareness (as in temp. taking/cervical mucus stuff, not just "Welp my fertility app says I'm ovulating").

For whatever it's worth though, I was seriously freaked out about the idea of an IUD until it kind of became my only non-hormonal option on par with hormonal methods effectiveness-wise.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Kimmalah posted:

Typical use failure rates are anywhere from 10-18% depending on your source. Which doesn't seem too bad really if you're combining it with serious, well done fertility awareness (as in temp. taking/cervical mucus stuff, not just "Welp my fertility app says I'm ovulating").

For whatever it's worth though, I was seriously freaked out about the idea of an IUD until it kind of became my only non-hormonal option on par with hormonal methods effectiveness-wise.

I'm in awe of people who do serious fertility tracking. I know myself, and I know that I couldn't trust pregnancy prevention to me; hell, I can't even reliably use a period-tracker app, let alone the pill.

That's why I'm all about the Implanon/Nexplanon implant. It took me awhile to get over the "OMG implant!!!" feelings at first, but now I would get a Paraguard IUD in a hot second if I had to stop using a hormonal method.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

fork bomb posted:

I'm in awe of people who do serious fertility tracking. I know myself, and I know that I couldn't trust pregnancy prevention to me; hell, I can't even reliably use a period-tracker app, let alone the pill.

That's why I'm all about the Implanon/Nexplanon implant. It took me awhile to get over the "OMG implant!!!" feelings at first, but now I would get a Paraguard IUD in a hot second if I had to stop using a hormonal method.

I know, can't imagine having to track my temp and everything everyday. I'm surprised I managed to keep track of a pill every single day.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Kimmalah posted:

I know, can't imagine having to track my temp and everything everyday. I'm surprised I managed to keep track of a pill every single day.

That is my concern. She has a stressful, professional job already, and may be moving up in position to an even more trying one. For us, sex should be anything BUT another thing to stress out about.

"Secret reversible vasectomy" is not a real option though.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Apollodorus posted:

That is my concern. She has a stressful, professional job already, and may be moving up in position to an even more trying one. For us, sex should be anything BUT another thing to stress out about.

"Secret reversible vasectomy" is not a real option though.

Yeah I understand that. Unfortunately, there just aren't a lot of reversible birth control methods available that one of you hasn't already completely or sort of ruled out. :( But like I said it can take time to get used to the idea of some methods. IUDs used to freak me out so bad until hormonal migraines made me get over the fear and Implanon still kind of makes me squeamish. :v:

I've never done fertility awareness myself, but I've heard the book "Taking Control of Your Fertility" is like the golden standard for learning about it, so there might be some tips on remembering in there. I would think maybe sticking a big calendar or something on the wall would be a good reminder (I always used an alarm on my cell phone for the pill).

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

You could combine fertility awareness with withdrawal (when she's supposedly not fertile) and comdoms for when she is.

Also look into spermicides. I've used a couple different kinds in the past. The film was the least messy.

Both fertility awareness and withdrawal are both more effective the older you are. For women it's more regular cycles and for men it's more control.

I have zero data but I would be concerned about how fast her cycle would go back to something regular and predictable enough to use fertility awareness after hormonal BC. I know that most women regain fertility almost immediately but I have no idea about settling into a regular cycle.

I went a couple years of fertility awareness + spermicide + withdrawal with no scares. I was comfortable with it. We didn't have sex at all when I was on that fertile week. I have a Paragard (and a different partner) now.

Just make sure you are both on the same page about an oops baby.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Yeah it's worth trying out to see, but the only problem is that a lot of spermicides are really irritating (as in physically) for some women.

I don't know about Depo, but after the pill my cycle took a few months to normalize the first time I stopped and went back to normal immediately the second time. But then I'm one of those weird women who have super regular 28 day cycles naturally.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Apollodorus posted:

If you live together, you could try to take some of the stress off her by offering to be the one responsible for waking up at blah o'clock, waking her up enough that she can take her temperature, and then writing the temperature down so she can fill in her chart later. (Or putting it on the chart yourself, entering it into an app, whatever.)

It's not as onerous as it seems at first; in my experience the first few months are the hardest, and after that the only noticeable irritations are having to wake up at around the same time every day (which is why, if you already sleep in the same room, offering to wake up and remind her would be a nice thing to do) and having to avoid having (unprotected) intercourse two days in a row in the first part of one's cycle (which, since you'd already be using condoms for the definitely-fertile part of her cycle, wouldn't be as much of an irritation as it would if you were planning on never using condoms). My husband and I used NFP to postpone pregnancy for four years; then I got pregnant the first cycle we weren't trying to avoid pregnancy, and we've used it to postpone pregnancy for the two years since my son was born. We had the added motivation that I have religious objections to other methods, but your girlfriend will have the added motivation that she's unwilling to use any hormonal method, so that probably balances out.

You might feel better if you read through Taking Charge of Your Fertility; it's very matter-of-fact, is not religiously motivated, and does a lot to dispel the "it's just the rhythm method with a new name" idea.

You can also PM me if you have other questions, I guess? I'm not a trained NFP instructor or anything, I just have the experience of using it and having it work.

[Edit: It occurred to me that there's one important difference between "remembering to take a pill" and "remembering to take my temperature"; at least with the kinds of daily medication I've taken, forgetting one day's dose is not immediately apparent if it's apparent at all, whereas if I didn't remember to take and record my temperature, I know that when I look at my chart because there's nothing recorded. Too, if I don't record information for today, that doesn't actually affect my fertility, so as long as I go back to doing so, and don't do anything potentially-pregnancy-causing when I don't have clear information, there's no further effect of forgetting.]

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 8, 2014

mau
Jan 13, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

It's actually fairly easy to get used to. Like zonohedron said, the first few months are the hardest because you haven't established a routine yet. I have an app set to sound an alarm at 6:50, take the temp and enter it, and then either go back to sleep or get up depending on my schedule for that particular day. I also don't temp everyday because sometimes I stay up too late or drink too much, which affects the temperature. The closer I get to ovulation, the stricter I am with temping. In my opinion temping is less stressful than taking a pill, because missing one day (or two) isn't necessarily going to make any difference.

I third the recommendation for Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It's a good read even if you don't end up trying or using FAM.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Well, that's all very helpful. We do not currently live together, but are hoping to be able to do so within the next year or two depending on how her job situation works out, by which point I expect to have a much more flexible schedule that may help balance out any increased demands on her time. I'll try to make some time to discuss this topic with her soon, but she's got so much going on right now that it's probably best to wait a little while.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 16, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I've heard of people with migraines having luck with Implanon, which is still an implant but isn't in your reproductive organs and lasts 3 years (I think). There are also the progestin-only mini pills, Depo or maybe just switching to another formulation of combination pill. And probably other stuff I'm forgetting. The OP has a pretty good rundown and maybe others will have more suggestions.

I've also noticed that I seem to get more migraines when I'm in a hormonal "transition period" (like at the beginning or end of my cycle) and when I was on a triphasic pill (which has different hormonal doses each week) it killed me with headaches so maybe a monophasic would have helped me. That's all speculation on my part though.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 16, 2014

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The process is the easiest thing on the planet; I couldn't even tell when it happened. Click the ? under my name for my posts on Implanon (I love it). Doesn't Obamacare cover it? If you can find a Planned Parenthood that does it, they often have a sliding scale.

If you get migraines with aura, it is really important to get off estrogen. Not just because that might help with your migraines, but because estrogen really increases your chance of stroke.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I used to get migraine auras(just the aura, luckily, none of the pain, but I didn't realise they were actual migraines til I read this thread) and the combined pill made them worse. As soon as I switched to the minipill they stopped and I haven't had one since. The one I was on had the same window of effectiveness as the combined pill, like 24 hours iirc.

The implant insertion is really nothing to worry about. You barely feel it(it's just like getting a shot really) and although feeling it in your arm afterwards is kinda crazy at first you get used to it super fast. I'm in the UK so it was free and I don't know how American health insurance works but I'd seriously look into getting it, I can't recommend it enough.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Hi, BC thread, long time no see. I wish I had something super happy to start the year with, but instead it seems that I'm back on to the pain train. :(

For brevity, I'll copy what I posted in the endometriosis thread, but first to set the stage... I finished the Lupron injection in December with little to no positive effect and a lot of hotflashes. During the entire six month treatment period I tried to keep in contact with her office and make sure that everything stays up to date, including her knowing if my pain worsesns, moves, or anything similar. On my follow-up visit I hauled my husband along to back me up, and the moment she got brought up more imaging type diagnostics he completely shot her down. He basicaly told her how having this level of pain was affecting our life and how I basically can do nothing but sit to lay with no pain and there's guarentee with that. After a moment of thought she nods and goes after the paperwork I'll need to fill out. score Also, because it's NC, hubs had to sign off on it anyway even though TECHNICALLY they're not reversing the tubal nor making it encouraged to grow or anything even remotely reproductive related.

Part 2 of my rather long and yucky story:
On Monday, right before they took me back to the operating room at 10am, my obgyn (and the one who was doing the surgery) told me she didn't expect the entire thing to take more than an hour, hour and half tops. That was the last thing I knew until I woke up, of course...

Apparently by 1:30 - 2:00pm my doctor went out to talk to my husband to let him know they found a lot of scar tissue that needed very extensive work done to remove it... oh and alao they were calling in the general surgeon and he was going to pull my appendix. I didn't make it to recovery until nearly 3:00pm

The right side of my uterus/fellopian tubes, where all the pain is? It is/was most likely the clip. It seems to have somehow been... not rejecting, but growing out a little the way you would expect to see the clips grow out after years of being on. The tubes are completely severed properly, so she just removed them. Frankly I don't know how I feel about this because I have a very deep fobia of becoming pregnant, and horomonal birth control is simply not an option for because of how it reacts with my mental healthm

While in there checking all around, there was a ton of scar tissue that needed removal, the most worrysome/troubling being a huge swath that was adhering my uterus to my bladder. The spot is HUGE HUGE HUGE wnd hwd somehow even made its.own little blood vessel superhighway. She had to go in and very delicately cut the whole thing away from my bladder then sear the entire sore off. This, it would seem, probably explains why I've had an over-a-year-long infection in my urine; it's very possible that my bladder was getting that scar tissue confused or whatever and decided to produce tons of white blood cells because it thought it was sick. Hopefully that will clear up now that it's gone. -fingers crossed-

Finally, before I went back I had mentioned to her that I'd been having pain all along my right side for quite a while, and could she please just check on my appendix while she was in there, since when I was hospitalized in November they were suspicious of it. Turns out it was swolen, so to err on the side of caution she got the general surgeon in and they took that sucker out too.

Oh, last thing I just remembered looking at these pictures. They also found these weird deposits on my small bowel that weren't there a year ago. She went ahead and did a biopsy, and we're waiting to hear back on that.

The linked picture contains photos of Real Human Insdes, don't click it you're squeamish.
:nms:The somewhat more awsome shots from Monday's surgery. :nms: Figuring out her handwriting is one hell of a challenge.

There's more folowup in the endometriosis thread, if anyone is interested. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3588425&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post424305581

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 11, 2014

Combat Scarf
Jun 21, 2006

INTERVENTION! INTERVENTION!

Quick BC question hopefully someone can help me with. My girlfriend took the pill on Saturday night at 8pm (like she always does) but threw up around 3 hours later at 11pm-ish. Do yall think the pill was absorbed by then? She kept taking the pill the next nights like normal, that was the only thing that happened with it this week.

Should we use a backup method for a while? How long?

Thanks for any advice yall can give.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I think I remember from all the inserts on my years on the pill, it said if you have vomiting or diarrhea within 2 hours of taking the pill it's not absorbed.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You guys should look at the insert in the packaging of her specific pill, or if you can't put your hands on it, call the pharmacist.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

mau posted:

It's actually fairly easy to get used to. Like zonohedron said, the first few months are the hardest because you haven't established a routine yet. I have an app set to sound an alarm at 6:50, take the temp and enter it, and then either go back to sleep or get up depending on my schedule for that particular day. I also don't temp everyday because sometimes I stay up too late or drink too much, which affects the temperature. The closer I get to ovulation, the stricter I am with temping. In my opinion temping is less stressful than taking a pill, because missing one day (or two) isn't necessarily going to make any difference.

I third the recommendation for Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It's a good read even if you don't end up trying or using FAM.

It's a great book, it's all the interesting body stuff nobody talks about. I tried FAM for 6 months while my partner was deployed, and I was surprised that I was able to handle taking my temperature every morning and checking my cervical mucus. (I wasn't hardcore enough to check my actual cervix, though.) Even though I was having clear charting results that told me when I ovulated, I was still worried about getting pregnant so I got on a pill.

I am thinking of going back because my skin was completely clear aside from a few zits on my period when I wasn't on any birth control. It's my third month on a different low dose pill that has a slightly higher dose yet I still get the same strange (almost cystic at times) acne without any regard for the time of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
So I took my pill a couple hours late for a week because I was just really busy and forgot (but kept it within a 6 hour window). Now I've been spotting for a week and I'm in the middle of week three. I've been taking oral BC for 3 years now and this hasn't happened before. Am I just going to have to ride this out until the next pack? It's really annoying.

• Locked thread