Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Johnny Walker posted:

Luann really is getting a little risque this week.

"Screw your making out! Let's gently caress!"

"You mean Wizzle Wazzle, sheila? But I've never even puzzled the wallaby!"

PUGGERNAUT posted:

In my experience it's the exact opposite - younger people type pretty accurately via text, but older people (40+) use to a of abbreviations and text speak. I can't decipher my mom's texts half the time!

I'm in my mid-30s and use proper caps, punctuation, and complete sentences. :shrug:

Clitch fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Clitch posted:

I'm in my mid-30s and use proper caps, punctuation, and complete sentences. :shrug:

I assume he meant like late 40s to 60s.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail

Marla should forget all her lame old friends and be BFFs with Mina. They get along so well :allears:.

I can't wait for the new lady to white ant her at every opportunity. It'll be karmic kismet.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Pibgorn is the least aesthetically pleasing thug I've ever seen outside of the political cartoons thread. Jesus Christ.

You should've seen it when it was really bad. The current story is dull but at least Shakespeare didn't write about an alien fairy robot harvesting vampire semen.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Termite? Is this a gorilla thing? :raise:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Undermine her, like termites destroying a floor beam.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I hate days with two six o'clocks in them.

Cul-de-sac

The Creeps

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Cool! -11.5F this morning. Warmed up overnight. :v:

Jane's World

And off we go down yet another fork in the road.

Non Sequitur

Bleh.

No Heavenly Nostrils yet this morning.

Kliban's Cats

9 Chickweed Lane 1/7/2003

Second panel. What? :ughh:

Zits

And you can tell just by his temperature?

Kevin & Kell

Welp.

Nemi

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Gorilla Salad posted:

I can't wait for the new lady to white ant her at every opportunity. It'll be karmic kismet.

I'm expecting Marla to get fired.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts supports our troops. :patriot: (January 10, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean asks you to boost the economy by supporting locally-owned businesses. It asks you to do this from the checkout line at Walmart.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (January 10, 1956)

Out Our Way (March 14-15, 1924)

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

Yep, it's going to be one of those weeks again.
I have this feeling that none of the usual old cranks that write to the editor to complain about cow tools or mild profanity or the usual bullshit you expect from the opinion section ever bat an eye at this super racist unfunny garbage. Am I right?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Mike du Jour

Monty

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Midnight Moth posted:

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Bleeker, maybe you should just, you know, run away to go live with Lila. Skip probably wouldn't even notice you're gone.

I can't help thinking that this comic would be a hell of a lot better if Lila owned Bleeker and Karl wasn't in it.

Fox is wearing clothes.
Mouse is wearing clothes.
Fox and mouse have human-like expressions and hands,
Fox is driving.
Fox is wearing a space helmet even though there is clearly a breathable atmosphere.
Mouse is not scared of fox.

Six. Six things wrong.

I like Jane's World, but it is ridiculously hard to follow. Are we supposed to know who this Dorrie is or what wedding they're talking about? Is any of this even happening in the present or are we still three layers deep in nested flashbacks?

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Tiggum posted:

I like Jane's World, but it is ridiculously hard to follow. Are we supposed to know who this Dorrie is or what wedding they're talking about? Is any of this even happening in the present or are we still three layers deep in nested flashbacks?

I'm more confused about the set up. Like did it use to be a newspaper comic strip, and then the author was like "I have too much to say!" Was it like "The Creeps" where it just was posted on a comic affiliate but never actually in a paper?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JaggerMcDagger posted:

I'm more confused about the set up. Like did it use to be a newspaper comic strip, and then the author was like "I have too much to say!" Was it like "The Creeps" where it just was posted on a comic affiliate but never actually in a paper?

I think it started in an LGBTQ alt-weekly or something like that.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

That face.

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

There's a few bands that have pulled this sort of thing, with "Do your homework," and "Don't sit so close to the television," worked in via backmasking.

Calvin And Hobbes

Barkeater Lake is about a young woman who moves from NYC to a small town. It started off the year with a visit from Satan (no, really), but seems to mainly be about this small dog named Banksy.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

All that matters is the Thrill of the Hunt Comix.

Pooch Café

Before you judge Hudson, what part of the chicken is the tender?

Ballard Street

It really does happen just that quickly. Somebody I'd just met in university once asked me "Hey, do you remember Transformers?" and a week later I had a collection. Now I have five storage bins full of the loving things. I've even got japanese imports in there from ebay. It took years to stop. The next summer I bought one nerf gun.

Now I can't open my hall closet.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q1PFY5yDp8

:v:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

Welp.

I did laugh at the fact that the hired killers are still on the roof and they are just all standing there letting them roll boulders at them.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RandomFerret posted:

Before you judge Hudson, what part of the chicken is the tender?
The little bit of meat right on the ribcage, under the breast. :chef:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Tiggum posted:

To add to the confusion, we've got a character named Dorothy and a character named Dorrie. :bravo: How can anyone think that's good writing?

I used to follow Jane's World long before joining SA, and some of these flashbacks are actually straight-up re-runs. I remembered the furry con as it was being posted, and then this monster truck rally was coming back to me like a bad fever dream. I looked it up, and yep, these are strips from 2005 - 2006:

http://www.amazon.com/Janes-World-Volume-Paige-Braddock/dp/0976670755/ref=pd_sim_b_2

So it looks like Paige is doing re-runs framed as flashbacks, with occasional bumpers of new material...?

EDIT: I don't know.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 7, 2014

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Darthemed posted:

Barkeater Lake is about a young woman who moves from NYC to a small town. It started off the year with a visit from Satan (no, really), but seems to mainly be about this small dog named Banksy.

Man, I used to read that strip all the time. I should consider posting that regularly.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Foxy Grandpa is great. :allears:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I wish I had a Family Pet instead of this dumb old dog.

(False: I love my dog)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I had to stare at this for a minute to make sure I got the joke, and yep. The Creeps is the best. How can I give this guy my money?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
No Fingerpori. :iiam:

Fok_it

Bat is lepakko.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Not bad, Mell. Not bad.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Do bats go Grrr?

Man Lester. How can you take such a basic concept and gently caress it up so badly?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Okay I am now firm in my opinion that Foxy Grandpa is not improved by the dialogue. It just outright doesn't need it.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Tiggum posted:

I can't help thinking that this comic would be a hell of a lot better if Lila owned Bleeker and Karl wasn't in it.
You're probably right. It'd be essentially the same but Lila would show up more to be with Bleeker and Bleeker wouldn't be so miserable and naggy all the time since he wouldn't feel obligated to babysit Lila like he does with Skip.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Darthemed posted:

Bloom County

There's a few bands that have pulled this sort of thing, with "Do your homework," and "Don't sit so close to the television," worked in via backmasking.

Backmasking was a short-lived moral panic in the 80s, with the most prominent bands/musicians to get accused of it being Judas Priest and Ozzy, the former after a troubled fan killed himself as I recall. To the surprise of pretty much no one, it turned out to be just hysteria, though in reaction some bands did do it as jokes; Weird Al backmasked "if you can hear this you've got too much time on your hands" or something similar onto one of his early albums.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zereth posted:

Okay I am now firm in my opinion that Foxy Grandpa is not improved by the dialogue. It just outright doesn't need it.

Back then the peasants didn't have the skills to read comics so they needed additional description. It's charming.

Green Intern posted:

I wish I had a Family Pet instead of this dumb old dog.

I wish I had a Foxy Grandpa intead of two dead grandpas.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Backmasking was a short-lived moral panic in the 80s, with the most prominent bands/musicians to get accused of it being Judas Priest and Ozzy, the former after a troubled fan killed himself as I recall. To the surprise of pretty much no one, it turned out to be just hysteria, though in reaction some bands did do it as jokes; Weird Al backmasked "if you can hear this you've got too much time on your hands" or something similar onto one of his early albums.

There's even earlier, fairly blatant examples of silly backmasking before then, with ELO including "The music is reversible, but time is not. Turn back, turn back!" backwards in the introduction to their song Fire On High and Pink Floyd including a lengthy message about finding "the hidden message" and to send replies care of "the funny farm" on their record The Wall. Of course, accusations of secret messages of ill intent extend even further back to The Beatles and other early rock and roll tape-manipulators.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Kennel posted:

Back then the peasants didn't have the skills to read comics so they needed additional description. It's charming.

I wish I had a Foxy Grandpa intead of two dead grandpas.

I wish I had a Foxy Grandpa instead of two dead grandpas and one living psychotic white supremacist step-grandfather

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin and the Martians

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Allen Wren posted:

There's even earlier, fairly blatant examples of silly backmasking before then, with ELO including "The music is reversible, but time is not. Turn back, turn back!" backwards in the introduction to their song Fire On High and Pink Floyd including a lengthy message about finding "the hidden message" and to send replies care of "the funny farm" on their record The Wall. Of course, accusations of secret messages of ill intent extend even further back to The Beatles and other early rock and roll tape-manipulators.

ELO got some flak for supposed backmasking in ElDorado in 1974. Jeff Lynne responded in the 80s by giving us the album Secret Messages.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Zits

And you can tell just by his temperature?

Sure. Rectal thermometer and an excellence sense of smell. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane's World

And off we go down yet another fork in the road.

Tiggum posted:

I like Jane's World, but it's starting to feel like Rip Haywire, but with lesbian drama. Just constant rising action and climaxes but nothing else.

• Locked thread