Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Atlas Hugged posted:

When? I'd be down for more algae beer.

Ah you are alive. Didn't get my pm? I'll be in country with folk 19-26, and taipei 19-22?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

DontAskKant posted:

Ah you are alive. Didn't get my pm? I'll be in country with folk 19-26, and taipei 19-22?

I'd be happy to accept your PM once someone buys me Plat. 19-22 works for me.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Is that the beerpub not too far from Taiwan Beer Bar, or am I mistaken? I went to that place when I first got here, really gave me a false impression of how not-groovy the beer in Taiwan is. I'd like to tag along

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
This one is in Tucheng. Feel free to tag along though.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
So algae beer is just some kind of thing in Taiwan then? Now that I think about it, I also went to a pub in Hualien that had green beer too

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Honestly I only ever like tried a sip of the algae beer and it tasted too much like soap so I stick to their other varieties.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

What's the deal with sim cards? Cheap and easy like everywhere else south of Korea?

AtlasHugged did you get a modern way to contact you?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah yeah I'm all mobile internet and Line now.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah yeah I'm all mobile internet and Line now.

That means I got to remember my Line account then don't I

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Well, as long as we both have mobile internet, then what we actually use to communicate isn't all that important, be it Line, Hangouts, or FB. Do you have a gmail account I can get in touch with you at?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

Well, as long as we both have mobile internet, then what we actually use to communicate isn't all that important, be it Line, Hangouts, or FB. Do you have a gmail account I can get in touch with you at?

Email me and I can take down that ridiculousness i just wrote.

Do we have anyone in Kaohsiung?

DontAskKant fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 7, 2014

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

DontAskKant posted:

Oh fun I get to write this for the first time ever.

CHECK YOUR PMs.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'd be happy to accept your PM once someone buys me Plat. 19-22 works for me.

I'll be in town around that time as well and probably hanging out with Kant, Lummox, and a guy I work with. I would be down for this and the 21st would work awesomely for me.

What's the best way to go about seeing Taroko Gorge? Can you see it in a day or do you have to overnight in Hualien?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I guess it doesn't really matter what day we do it since they're all work nights for me. Seriously who does Taipei for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday? Oh well, at least Tucheng is close so I can get there and back without much hassle.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So for places that want experience, what would 2 years teaching English in Outer Mongolia do for me? I'm working for Peace Corps, but my main job is working for the local school teaching everything from Pre-K to graduating seniors, as well as working with the English teachers and community members. I don't have any TEFL certifications, but my degree is in English.

Also, I do a lot of work for local government, mostly translating things for them, but I've also done a fair bit of writing grants and proposals over the last few years, would that go any way towards working in some sort of technical writing field?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
You are qualified to work 15-25 hours a week at a kindergarten or cram school pretending to teach English while the children pretend to learn. If you are a Mandarin speaker and have degrees and certifications in relevant fields, you might be able to find work translating, but it may actually be for less money than English "teachers" make.

duckfarts recently mentioned having a technical writing position open at his company, but you'll spend your working hours with an alcoholic instead of just your free time.

Edit: That comes off kind of cynical but the stark reality is that outside of having an honest to god degree and certification in education, no amount of experience really matters all that much.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

What's the best way to go about seeing Taroko Gorge? Can you see it in a day or do you have to overnight in Hualien?

In 2012, when my dad came to Taiwan the first time, we did Taroko. We showed up in Hualien via train in the morning, about 10 AM or so. Ate an early lunch and then paid a taxi driver some ridiculously low sum (I want to say NT$1600? NT$1200?) to drive us around through the Gorge all day. He dropped us off back in Hualien at about 7 PM or so, I'd definitely say it seemed like a good value. I have no doubt we probably missed a lot of good stuff, but I'm pretty sure we hit all the typical touristy spots. He would let us off and even do hikes for 30-45 minutes, and then pick us up at the trailhead again.

I'd love to have a chance to go back and explore more but I felt that it was a decent day tour. Had a Chinese speaker with us but there certainly were taxis covered in stickers saying "I speak English! Backpackers welcome!" Etc. all over them.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

DontAskKant posted:

I am a goon in kaohsiung.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

thegoat posted:

I am a goon in kaohsiung.

Are you a goon in Kaohsiung who wants to meet the Seoul Goon Welcome Committee for food and/or drinks. Also do you have tips on seeing Tainan on a day trip?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

POCKET CHOMP posted:

In 2012, when my dad came to Taiwan the first time, we did Taroko. We showed up in Hualien via train in the morning, about 10 AM or so. Ate an early lunch and then paid a taxi driver some ridiculously low sum (I want to say NT$1600? NT$1200?) to drive us around through the Gorge all day. He dropped us off back in Hualien at about 7 PM or so, I'd definitely say it seemed like a good value. I have no doubt we probably missed a lot of good stuff, but I'm pretty sure we hit all the typical touristy spots. He would let us off and even do hikes for 30-45 minutes, and then pick us up at the trailhead again.

I'd love to have a chance to go back and explore more but I felt that it was a decent day tour. Had a Chinese speaker with us but there certainly were taxis covered in stickers saying "I speak English! Backpackers welcome!" Etc. all over them.

Alright, good to know. Apparently they've started up the official tour bus system again so I'll look into that as well.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I guess it doesn't really matter what day we do it since they're all work nights for me. Seriously who does Taipei for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday? Oh well, at least Tucheng is close so I can get there and back without much hassle.

I'll be in Taiwan until the 29th but I'll possibly be all over the place. I'm going down to Kenting on the 19th and coming back on the 21st. I have a work buddy with me so I'm trying to plan things out a bit for his sake. He leaves on the 25th so I don't know what's going down the 25th-28th. I know I want to go out to Cihu and see Chiang and Chingkuo to knock a couple names off of my modern Chinese leader tomb list. I have a lot of academic interest in the KMT so if anyone has any suggestions for interesting or crazy stuff I would appreciate it.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

DontAskKant posted:

Are you a goon in Kaohsiung who wants to meet the Seoul Goon Welcome Committee for food and/or drinks. Also do you have tips on seeing Tainan on a day trip?

Yeah it sounds like fun. When are you here?

I have no idea about Tainan.

re: Kenting, go to Baisha beach it is the best. The Happy Panda is a pretty nice place

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

DontAskKant posted:

As someone who lived in Tainan for a long time, I can tell you that it would probably be a lot easier to check out Tainan if you have the ability to rent a scooter (or a bicycle, which is probably more feasible for visitors) as the public transport system is not exactly what I'd call stellar in that city. If you want to hit up touristy spots, (which are all mostly historical sites, nothing that screams "holy poo poo you've gotta see this" unless you're into it), off the top of my head, I'd suggest first heading out to Anping. You can visit the old fort there and directly around the fort or within walking distance of the fort there are a lot other tourist spots/points of interest. I always liked walking down by the Treehouse and stuff, but since I lived there I wasn't ever trying to cram in a lot at one time. There are other things to do in Anping, like the Eternal Golden Castle, but they're a bit further away from the fort.

I think from the train station you can catch Bus 2 to Anping, but I haven't lived there for a little while now, so I'm not sure. There were also tourist shuttles, but I have no idea about those.

There's also the counterpart to the Anping Fort, which is Chikan Lou. It's more in the heart of the city (you could walk to it from the train station, but it's a bit of a hike), and a bit more walking could get you to the Confucius temple and the one I always liked, the Koxinga shrine.

It's a tiny place where you almost can't go for too long without finding something of historical relevance, especially if you head west from the train station. But at the same time, if that kind of stuff doesn't interest you, you may find yourself asking what all the fuss is about. :)

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Kaohsiung and Tainan look to be things for the 24th and 25th of January and maybe the 23rd. Traveling with a history buff and i thought he would especially like Tainan and i had heard good things about the food. I'm flying out at 8am from kaohsiung, am I going to have problems getting to the airport?

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

DontAskKant posted:

Kaohsiung and Tainan look to be things for the 24th and 25th of January and maybe the 23rd. Traveling with a history buff and i thought he would especially like Tainan and i had heard good things about the food. I'm flying out at 8am from kaohsiung, am I going to have problems getting to the airport?

You will have no trouble getting to the airport. A taxi from basically anywhere in the city will be like $15. You could even take the MRT but a taxi is cheap.

I can do food and drinks any night 23-25.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I'll be in Taiwan until the 29th but I'll possibly be all over the place. I'm going down to Kenting on the 19th and coming back on the 21st. I have a work buddy with me so I'm trying to plan things out a bit for his sake. He leaves on the 25th so I don't know what's going down the 25th-28th. I know I want to go out to Cihu and see Chiang and Chingkuo to knock a couple names off of my modern Chinese leader tomb list. I have a lot of academic interest in the KMT so if anyone has any suggestions for interesting or crazy stuff I would appreciate it.

Well, DontAskKant said he'd be in Taipei through the 22nd so it seems those days work best for the visitors. I'll just suffer until the first round of beers shows up.

Also, why do the people at 7-11 always shout Hatori Hanzo! when someone leaves?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Atlas Hugged posted:

You are qualified to work 15-25 hours a week at a kindergarten or cram school pretending to teach English while the children pretend to learn. If you are a Mandarin speaker and have degrees and certifications in relevant fields, you might be able to find work translating, but it may actually be for less money than English "teachers" make.

duckfarts recently mentioned having a technical writing position open at his company, but you'll spend your working hours with an alcoholic instead of just your free time.

Edit: That comes off kind of cynical but the stark reality is that outside of having an honest to god degree and certification in education, no amount of experience really matters all that much.

duckfarts is not an alcoholic!

Also: Monthly poker - Tonight 8PM .

Zhongshan N Rd. Section 2, Alley 115 No. 15
中山北路二段115巷15號

Name of the place is 川娃子

If you Google Maps the address it will show the proper place, more or less. There's a big red and white sign with 川娃子 on it out front. If you're going north on Zhongshan Rd, take a right at the tiny alley in front of Mr. Onion and it's just a bit down that alley. Prepare to buy-in for at least 100NT. Beer and food are available for non-exorbitant prices. My number is 0970229902 if yo get lost/need me to LINE you a location.

url fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 8, 2014

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

url posted:

duckfarts is not an alcoholic!

Wasn't talking about him.

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
I'm in Taipei now, looking for a job teaching English. Last week, I had five interviews that went decently, and I hope to hear back from one of them soon. I have nothing scheduled for next week, but that should change.

I have a question for English teachers: If you got a job after arriving in Taiwan, how long did it take you to get a position that gave more than a handful of hours? Also, in what year and month did you arrive? I was looking at some of the expat forums and, of course, they're filled with bitter old men bitching to each other, so I didn't bother asking.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I got my first teaching job about a week after being in the country and it was 37 hours a week. This was in 2003.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Alpacalips Now posted:

I'm in Taipei now, looking for a job teaching English. Last week, I had five interviews that went decently, and I hope to hear back from one of them soon. I have nothing scheduled for next week, but that should change.

I have a question for English teachers: If you got a job after arriving in Taiwan, how long did it take you to get a position that gave more than a handful of hours? Also, in what year and month did you arrive? I was looking at some of the expat forums and, of course, they're filled with bitter old men bitching to each other, so I didn't bother asking.
If you're teaching children and management thinks highly of you, the school will ramp up your hours pretty quickly. If they have any doubts about your ability, they might string you along with minimum hours, like maybe 14 or so, to see how you do (it's possible to get out of this box, but you need to work really hard and keep your mouth shut; if you complain at all, even if you're in the right, you'll be regarded as a troublemaker). If you're teaching adults, you will probably never see a full load of hours unless you are literally the best teacher at the school, and even then it depends on the overall level of business. These are my observations from 7-8 years at a small handful of schools.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Alpacalips Now posted:

I was looking at some of the expat forums and, of course, they're filled with bitter old men bitching to each other, so I didn't bother asking.
Hey now, some of the posters on Forumosa are bitter old women bitching to each other!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

Hey now, some of the posters on Forumosa are bitter old women bitching to each other!
I'm bitter and getting old and I know to stay far away from that place unless I'm looking for very specific information.

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
I imagine Forumosa posters are the perpetually weary, gray-haired white people I always see on the MRT.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

duckfarts posted:

I'm bitter and getting old and I know to stay far away from that place unless I'm looking for very specific information.

Before I moved back to the USA a lot of the stuff being said on Forumosa started making sense to me. I kind of took that as a sign that my time in Taiwan was coming to an end, and I needed to get the hell out.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

To be honest, a lot of what they say isn't entirely poo poo, it's just delivered wrapped in poo poo. And back when I arrived here it was a good way to find my feet and have some kind of support system. But yeah....

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002

DontAskKant posted:

I'm in Pingtung, for what that's worth (not much).

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Woo! Taipei in a few hours. I even got in touch with a few local brewers.

poetrywhore posted:

I'm in Pingtung, for what that's worth (not much).

We'll be southward at some point. We'll update here unless you guys have a chat.

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
I just secured a job and a sweet apartment in Yonghe, New Taipei. All I need now is a mountain bike.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

I think I met one of MoonSlayer's coworkers, she was describing the newish foreign guy, but I only know him as Riker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Hopefully the word "weird" wasn't used too much.