Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
The upper midwest has a whole load of road courses to choose from. It's actually pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

sean10mm posted:

It's a limited production novelty, and practicality and where it fits in the market are basically non-issues. They're planning on making like 1,000 a year for a couple years and will sell every one of them without any effort.

As far as its utility as a track toy, the thing is faster around the Nurburgring than a 911 Carerra S or a LFA. With part of the lap in the rain.

still not as fast as a GT-:argh:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

As far as its utility as a track toy, the thing is faster around the Nurburgring than a 911 Carerra S or a LFA. With part of the lap in the rain.

I've seen so many "It's all the tires :v: " posts that it isn't funny.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We'd still have one if we didn't knock it down to build lovely one-off tract housing for the illegitimate spawn of oil workers.

We'd definitely still have one if we hadn't had a corrupt son of a bitch like Bronco at the helm who didn't respect his obligations to the contract he himself had signed.

As it stands we don't even have autocross within the city limits anymore; you have to drive an hour and a half to Red Deer to run in their lovely lot.

So true. And then the cops wonder why there's so many Lamborghinis and Porsches being driven at insane speeds on the surrounding secondary highways... honestly, it seems like racetracks are practically a public service, since they help to massively reduce the appeal of street racing.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

sean10mm posted:

It's a limited production novelty, and practicality and where it fits in the market are basically non-issues. They're planning on making like 1,000 a year for a couple years and will sell every one of them without any effort.

ya, plus from a fixed cost standpoint, tooling and production, I doubt it costs more than a rounding error to pump one of these out once every 10,000 cars. Maybe theres more handwork, due to scale, but 75,000 takes care of that pretty quickly.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Linedance posted:

still not as fast as a GT-:argh:

It is quite a bit cheaper though.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

angryhampster posted:

And there's not a track with turns that go both ways within 200mi of me. Thanks a lot, Iowa.

Come up to BIR.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

PT6A posted:

So true. And then the cops wonder why there's so many Lamborghinis and Porsches being driven at insane speeds on the surrounding secondary highways... honestly, it seems like racetracks are practically a public service, since they help to massively reduce the appeal of street racing.

Edmonton actually has a pretty good Raceway south of the city called Castrol Raceway. It has a 1/4 mile drag strip, a dirt oval for sprint cars and last year they opened up a 2.7km road course that looks pretty decent.

We have Edmonton Intl Raceway as well which has a 1/4 mile paved oval. I haven't been but it seems alright. We've got a couple off road parks which I haven't been to but a lot of people have good things to say about them.

So if you're willing to make the 3 hour drive north there's some pretty good amateur driving spots up here. I'd suggest coming up for the Edmonton Indy and making use of Castrol. The Indy is always a good time.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

sean10mm posted:

It is quite a bit cheaper though.

oh drat, you're right! Why did I think the GT-R was around $70k?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Linedance posted:

Because it was at one point. the 08 was $69,500, The 09 was $76,840, the 10 was $80,790. In 2011 they dropped the base model which had the effect of raising the price to $85,060. In 2012 they raised the price to $90,950, and again in 2013 to $96,820, and again in 2014 to $99,590.

Nissan marketers must be on the most wonderful of drugs.

Samu posted:

Edmonton actually has a pretty good Raceway south of the city called Castrol Raceway. It has a 1/4 mile drag strip, a dirt oval for sprint cars and last year they opened up a 2.7km road course that looks pretty decent.

We have Edmonton Intl Raceway as well which has a 1/4 mile paved oval. I haven't been but it seems alright. We've got a couple off road parks which I haven't been to but a lot of people have good things to say about them.

So if you're willing to make the 3 hour drive north there's some pretty good amateur driving spots up here. I'd suggest coming up for the Edmonton Indy and making use of Castrol. The Indy is always a good time.

Mission raceway in BC is also a short little 9 hour drive each way. if you take highay 3, the drive is almost as fun as the track.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 6, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

Because it was at one point. the 08 was $69,500, The 09 was $76,840, the 10 was $80,790. In 2011 they dropped the base model which had the effect of raising the price to $85,060. In 2012 they raised the price to $90,950, and again in 2013 to $96,820, and again in 2014 to $99,590.

Nissan marketers must be on the most wonderful of drugs.

Its actually rather clever because people still mostyl remember the super-low original price, and since the whole exercise was always supposed to be more marketing exercise / halo car than actual seller it saves some money.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Linedance posted:

You can still pick up a lightly used model for around $55-60,000 and use the leftover cash to make it faster and more aggressive for the track. The thing about the Z28 is that it was designed for Americans who want a fast American car to take to their local American track and beat-up on some imports. Just to reiterate IOC, they will all sell quickly. Also, Chevrolet HAS to put something out to counter the Boss 302 Mustang Laguna Seca.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Not sure if anyone's interested in safety tests here, but I'm pretty happy the new Mazda 3 got "Good" across the board for all its tests, including the new small overlap. I refuse to buy a deathtrap and I would have been gutted if this sexy beast performed poorly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guUdsQMdh4I

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Devyl posted:

You can still pick up a lightly used model for around $55-60,000 and use the leftover cash to make it faster and more aggressive for the track. The thing about the Z28 is that it was designed for Americans who want a fast American car to take to their local American track and beat-up on some imports. Just to reiterate IOC, they will all sell quickly. Also, Chevrolet HAS to put something out to counter the Boss 302 Mustang Laguna Seca.

Isn't the 1LE as fast or faster than the Laguna Seca? I'm pretty sure the Z28 is a completely different level than any of the other pony car variants.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

a primate posted:

Not sure if anyone's interested in safety tests here, but I'm pretty happy the new Mazda 3 got "Good" across the board for all its tests, including the new small overlap. I refuse to buy a deathtrap and I would have been gutted if this sexy beast performed poorly.

That's good. Over the past 10 years it seems like Mazda has really proven themselves to be a first rate manufacturer overall.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Except in sales, unfortunately.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We'd still have one if we didn't knock it down to build lovely one-off tract housing for the illegitimate spawn of oil workers.

We'd definitely still have one if we hadn't had a corrupt son of a bitch like Bronco at the helm who didn't respect his obligations to the contract he himself had signed.

As it stands we don't even have autocross within the city limits anymore; you have to drive an hour and a half to Red Deer to run in their lovely lot.

Haha, actually, the former location of Race City is where part of the current 114th ave/Stoney Trail interchange is sitting. They had to shift 114th ave south to connect up with the ring road and it went right where the north portion of the track was. I drive that route every day to/from work and got to slowly watch as our race track was slowly demolished.

The worst part was that Race City was only 5 minutes from my office so it was extremely convenient when I'd break something on the car while cutting laps at a HDPE....I could limp it back to the shop, wrench on it for abit, then hopefully get my rear end back to the track.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samu posted:

drat, I could definitely stand to spend some time on a road course on my bike. Preferably in a class.

Every time the Herald has an article about the new racetrack that's been approved up by Crossiron Mills, my heart sinks when I remember they mean "horse racetrack".

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Phy posted:

drat, I could definitely stand to spend some time on a road course on my bike. Preferably in a class.

Every time the Herald has an article about the new racetrack that's been approved up by Crossiron Mills, my heart sinks when I remember they mean "horse racetrack".

Because ponoka is too far to travel for horse racing.

You could have gone to stratotech with the bike, but unfortunately 2013 was their last season.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

fknlo posted:

Isn't the 1LE as fast or faster than the Laguna Seca? I'm pretty sure the Z28 is a completely different level than any of the other pony car variants.

Depending on the driver and track, they split a .5-1 second win over the other on the course. However, this is traditional Chevy/Ford rivalry. Now Ford will prep a Mustang to beat the Camaro and sell it in the same price range. This isn't anything new to those of us who follow drag racing; like the COPO & Cobra Jet rivalry. The first newer Cobra Jet was dominating the drag strip with the supercharged 5.4. Then Chevy came out with the COPO Camaro to try & compete against Ford. The COPO has been laying some pretty impressive numbers going back and forth with wins against the Cobra Jet. Now that Ford realized their spot could be taken, the 2014 CJ has switched from the dated 5.4 to the new 5.0 with a 2.9 liter supercharger on top putting out 575 hp.

Of course, you also have to remember that a lot of Americans aren't really into racing on the track yet; it's something we're just starting to warm up to. So seeing the Ford/Chevy rivalry getting to track-oriented cars is a really good thing. Also the price of the Z28 is cheap. a New CJ or COPO will usually set you back around $100,000+ depending on how you want it prepped.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

DropShadow posted:

Come up to BIR.

I've heard it's a nice track, but still 500mi from me. Road America is only about 300.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Because ponoka is too far to travel for horse racing.

You could have gone to stratotech with the bike, but unfortunately 2013 was their last season.

Do we have enough SAB people to start our own AI club thread and IRC channel yet? PT6A is surely tired of being the whipping boy for the Canadian politics thread.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
The closest tracks for me with both left and right turns are Sonoma and Thunderhill, both about an hour and a half away.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

a primate posted:

I just bought one of these in a hatchback with 6-sp auto, and it is a great car, especially since ~22k buys you all the fancy electronic toys (minus giant distracting nav screen).

Sales guy seemed to have a lot of fun with the manual, too.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Orlando sucks for motorsports. There's CFRC when it's not in legal limbo, and Orlando Speed World, which has a figure-8 racing drift course and a drag strip with only 1/4 mile runoff; they can't run Top Fuel cars there.

There's Daytona and Sebring, which are 1 and 2 hours away, but Daytona is an oval and Sebring is a long-rear end tow home if something breaks.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

norton I posted:

I just bought one of these in a hatchback with 6-sp auto, and it is a great car, especially since ~22k buys you all the fancy electronic toys (minus giant distracting nav screen).

Sales guy seemed to have a lot of fun with the manual, too.

Test drove the 3 hatch versus the Focus for the next leased car we will get and the Mazda blows the Focus away in every area. That dual clutch transmission in the Focus is loving awful and the tech package is so much better in the Mazda for less money.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So GM accidentally leaked the Z06 power numbers in their metatags.

code:
meta name="description" content="With 620 horsepower and 650 lb.-ft. of torque, the 2015 
Corvette Z06 is the most advanced Corvette ever made. Read more about Chevy’s supercar here." 
They fixed it just now (I refreshed the page to screencap the source and it was gone) but sweet jesus that's a lot of power.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

So GM accidentally leaked the Z06 power numbers in their metatags.

code:
meta name="description" content="With 620 horsepower and 650 lb.-ft. of torque, the 2015 
Corvette Z06 is the most advanced Corvette ever made. Read more about Chevy’s supercar here." 
They fixed it just now (I refreshed the page to screencap the source and it was gone) but sweet jesus that's a lot of power.

I'll hand over my balls at the end of this post, but holy poo poo this is just absurd.

So many old dudes are going to die.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

dreesemonkey posted:

Due to the impending demographics shift of our aging population, all I can say is: :getin:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I may be out of date on this, but wouldn't that take the title of the highest power production NA V8?

Edit: Nm, I didn't realize it was supercharged.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dreesemonkey posted:

I'll hand over my balls at the end of this post, but holy poo poo this is just absurd.

It's a pretty merciful way of killing them off.

Also, the ones that survive will no longer be able to get all misty eyed about the factory muscle cars of yesteryear.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I may be out of date on this, but wouldn't that take the title of the highest power production NA V8?

Edit: Nm, I didn't realize it was supercharged.

Even if it was n/a, the Viper still has 640.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Devyl posted:

Even if it was n/a, the Viper still has 640.

Viper is V10 not V8.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
It sure is, but it still holds the title of highest n/a hp rating of a production car.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

dreesemonkey posted:

I hope they die from fright and their Z06's slowly roll to a stop so their widows can put them on ebay. Reminds me of that Nick Swardson bit about old people dying and grandma flipping her vette.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Devyl posted:

It sure is, but it still holds the title of highest n/a hp rating of a production car.

I thought that was the Ferrari F12 at 730hp with it's V12?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Devyl posted:

I'm curious, when you replied to DB did you actually read the post that you quoted?

edit: Also, the whole F12 issue that's been so helpfully pointed out.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Morphix posted:

Yeah, you're right.

Q_res posted:

I'm curious, when you replied to DB did you actually read the post that you quoted?

edit: Also, the whole F12 issue that's been so helpfully pointed out.

I missed the V8 part :downs:

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Morphix posted:

The Ferarri LaFerrari has a 789HP naturally aspirated V12 (before adding another 161HP in electric).

The Viper does hold largest displacement though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Shin-chan posted:

The Viper does hold largest displacement though.
Current largest displacement. Some of the engines used prior to WW2 were ridiculous.