Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

kingcom posted:

No I run with an 18 Charisma paladin so that doesn't explain anything. I'm fairly sure Khalid has seperate values which are much lower cause him to break. I mean its not a big deal but its much easier to drop him.

Odd. The first time I played I had an 18 Charisma Fighter ( don't ask ), and he barely ever broke morale. The last two times I've played I put Jaheria in charge, and again, barely any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Planning my next play through now. Going to go evil for the first time ever with a Shapeshifter13/Fighter Dual and crank the difficulty up to just below insane. Anyone have any experience with Weimar's shapeshifter rebalanced? Heard it's pretty game breaking early but levels out later on. Certainly don't see how it could be any stronger than Fighter/Mage or Ranger/Cleric in the long run.

Hexxat is going to be a F/M/T because single class thieves are just so bad late game and I've never tried that class before.

Will Rasaad kick up a fuss if he's in an evil party with Hexxat and Dorn?

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Entropy238 posted:

Planning my next play through now. Going to go evil for the first time ever with a Shapeshifter13/Fighter Dual and crank the difficulty up to just below insane. Anyone have any experience with Weimar's shapeshifter rebalanced? Heard it's pretty game breaking early but levels out later on. Certainly don't see how it could be any stronger than Fighter/Mage or Ranger/Cleric in the long run.

Weimar's fix makes the Greater Werewolf overpowered, even for ToB. GW form sets STR/DEX/CON to something like 25/20/25, regens at 3 HP/s, gives base 50% elemental resist and 40% MR, and the paw is a +3 dagger that hits for 2d8 and gives a plain Shapeshifter Druid 3 APR, which translates into 5 APR really easily with a shapeshifter/fighter dual. Need to hit something like a demi-lich? Just offhand the paw and mainhand Spectral Brand or Club of Detonation.

I actually tried a Shadowkeeper'd multiclass shifter/fighter once, ended up being rather boring cause he could solo everything with ease once GW form was available. Once he had Hardiness HLAs the guy could tank crowds of ToB enemies and for the few times that things got a bit hairy, just running away and kiting the melee a while so werewolf regen healed him up was enough.

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 7, 2014

Selane
May 19, 2006

Corvinus posted:

Weimar's fix makes the Greater Werewolf overpowered, even for ToB. GW form sets STR/DEX/CON to something like 25/20/25, regens at 3 HP/s, gives base 50% elemental resist and 40% MR, and the paw is a +3 dagger that hits for 2d8 and gives a plain Shapeshifter Druid 3 APR, which translates into 5 APR really easily with a shapeshifter/fighter dual. Need to hit something like a demi-lich? Just offhand the paw and mainhand Spectral Brand or Club of Detonation.

I actually tried a Shadowkeeper'd multiclass shifter/fighter once, ended up being rather boring cause he could solo everything with ease once GW form was available. Once he had Hardiness HLAs, the guy could tank crowds of ToB enemies and for the few times that things got a bit hairy, just running away and kiting the melee a while so werewolf regen healed him up was enough.

Hey, at least it's not as overpowered as his IWD2 shapeshifter 'rebalancing' mod where you can turn into dragons or whatever.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Are there any other items besides the pantaloons that are kept from 1 to 2 in the enhanced editions?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Are there any other items besides the pantaloons that are kept from 1 to 2 in the enhanced editions?

There's a couple of magic armour pieces that appear in Irenicus dungeon that are influenced by items you could have had in your inventory.

Main one is the Helm of Balduran you'll probably want to get, I believe it's the default if you didn't have any of the other items that might overwrite it though.

The other one is chest armour, nothing too special - I think it's either magic leather or magic chain.

Nothing after Irenicus dungeon is influenced.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The Horn of Kazgaroth carries over if you had it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DeathChicken posted:

The Horn of Kazgaroth carries over if you had it.

Not the Claw though sadly.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Corvinus posted:

I actually tried a Shadowkeeper'd multiclass shifter/fighter once, ended up being rather boring cause he could solo everything with ease once GW form was available. Once he had Hardiness HLAs the guy could tank crowds of ToB enemies and for the few times that things got a bit hairy, just running away and kiting the melee a while so werewolf regen healed him up was enough.

Yeah and on top of that if its your PC who is the shifter you get even more resists from the tears of Bhall or whatever. You basically become nearly immune to all elements. You can just have your magic users spam AOE's on top of your PC and it won't bother him.

Also I'm pretty sure that although most stats on a carried weapon don't transfer over to wolf form, some of the special abilities do. For example the knockback from Staff of the Ram. It's pretty hilarious to send guys flying across the room when you punch them in the face.

poo poo, we haven't even talked about his Druid spells either. High level Druid spells are pretty drat good. You can always summon your elemental princes before the battle even starts, then open with a creeping doom (one of the best AOE spells in the game), or some other high level AOE and then throw up wolf form and rip poo poo up.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Is there a mod anywhere that ACTUALLY balances Shapeshifter or is it just perpetually stuck being either underpowered or mad OP?

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is there a mod anywhere that ACTUALLY balances Shapeshifter or is it just perpetually stuck being either underpowered or mad OP?

Well you could try keeping him pure druid and not dualing into a fighter. That will balance him a lot. Without the fighter levels he will have a much worse chance to hit and fewer attacks per round.

Play him as a back row offensive caster and when he runs out of spells have him switch to wolf form as a backup. That's actually pretty good fun and not really too overpowered.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Well you could try keeping him pure druid and not dualing into a fighter. That will balance him a lot. Without the fighter levels he will have a much worse chance to hit and fewer attacks per round.

Play him as a back row offensive caster and when he runs out of spells have him switch to wolf form as a backup. That's actually pretty good fun and not really too overpowered.

Without deliberately holding back like a Dragonball Z villain I mean.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If it weren't such a pain to do / I weren't so lazy I would go into the engine and mod the shapeshifter to be a little more balanced. I would also buff the vanilla monk's special abilities by a few modifiers.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Entropy238 posted:

Certainly don't see how it could be any stronger than Fighter/Mage or Ranger/Cleric in the long run

Corvinus posted:

You didn't mention the greater werebears that replace the mountain bears in Conjure Animals. They said it was to make them a viable alternative to Summon Fire Elemental but what they actually did was to make a couple of bears who can literally take down a dragon (the Shadow Dragon. I just stood back and watched).

Foolie
Dec 28, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

If it weren't such a pain to do / I weren't so lazy I would go into the engine and mod the shapeshifter to be a little more balanced. I would also buff the vanilla monk's special abilities by a few modifiers.

It might just be the number of times I've played through, but it seems pretty easy to tweak some of those things using ShadowKeeper/eeKeeper. For the last run I just used this to put together a multiclass Kensai/mage. Abusive, but for run 4, a drat fun approach.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rookersh posted:

Odd. The first time I played I had an 18 Charisma Fighter ( don't ask ), and he barely ever broke morale. The last two times I've played I put Jaheria in charge, and again, barely any issues.

I'll admit I never beat BG1, but I played quite a bit and Khalid is literally the only NPC I've had panic on his own without some kind of fear spell cast by an enemy, And I'm pretty sure one of the times was when I was playing a Paladin with a minimum 17 charisma. Khalid panicking happened with multiple characters over multiple installs.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Foolie posted:

It might just be the number of times I've played through, but it seems pretty easy to tweak some of those things using ShadowKeeper/eeKeeper. For the last run I just used this to put together a multiclass Kensai/mage. Abusive, but for run 4, a drat fun approach.

Nearinfinity would be required for that kinda work I think, but the last time I took any serious look at modding BG (either of them) was before EE came out and I've no idea if it's still compatible. Though I believe it still uses a Chiten.key file so it should be...

I'll check tomorrow and report back.

E: also Khalid definitely has a lower morale score/modifier/whatever the term is. He's explicitly designed to frighten more easily, though admittedly not too too much more than everyone else.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Shar-Teel is evil and just doesn't have enough Con to justify using her, Yeslick is alright, but suffers from both low Strength and low Dex. Ajantis is better I guess, especially since the Dex Gauntlets are easier to get then the Ogre Power ones, but he can't use bows/won't get mastery by the end of the game like Khalid will, so it still seems they are fairly evenly matched.

Best part about Shar-Teel is dual classing her to Thief, she can deal out some decent backstabs.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

She also gets you off the hook with Angelo, and that's kinda nice too.

People are sleeping on Yeslick in EE though. He naturally has 7 int, so the cursed girdle of hill giant strength doesn't really penalize him at all. Slap the gauntlets of dex on him and suddenly you've got a self-buffing dude who can reach < 1 saves for things like basilisks and stuff.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

You know, I probably shouldn't have dropped 20,000 gold on the Shield of Balduran when I still needed to do the 20,000 for Imoen thing. But man it was fun sending Korgan into the Unseeing Eye's lair and having him solo everything.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

DeathChicken posted:

You know, I probably shouldn't have dropped 20,000 gold on the Shield of Balduran when I still needed to do the 20,000 for Imoen thing. But man it was fun sending Korgan into the Unseeing Eye's lair and having him solo everything.

I did that once with solo play and forgot that Elder Orbs can cast imprisonment which the shield won't deflect. Oops.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Is there an improved, tougher Irenicus mod somewhere? No one plays BG2 these days without TOB installed and having even just 2-3 TOB levels to take into the Irenicus fight makes it way to easy. The fight was clearly balanced for vanilla BG2. It's such a huge anticlimactic ending to such an amazing villain. I don't think it would even be all that hard. Just give him some wizard level 9 and 10 spells like improved alacrity, dragon breath and wish and what not.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Is there an improved, tougher Irenicus mod somewhere? No one plays BG2 these days without TOB installed and having even just 2-3 TOB levels to take into the Irenicus fight makes it way to easy. The fight was clearly balanced for vanilla BG2. It's such a huge anticlimactic ending to such an amazing villain. I don't think it would even be all that hard. Just give him some wizard level 9 and 10 spells like improved alacrity, dragon breath and wish and what not.

Both SCS and Tactics can change the Irenicus encounter with higher level parties in mind. They are pretty modular so you can skip whatever other changes you aren't interested in.

Just a warning though, they make Irenicus a LOT harder, not by adding ToB content but by extending the battle so that the party is likely to end up low on spells and healing halfway through. It's a good time to blow any consummables you may have saved up.

Edit: I believe SCS is compatible with the enhanced editions, not sure about Tactics.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Taking on Improved Irenicus for the first time was probably one of the most memorable fights I've had in all the years I've been playing BG2. Would highly recommend it but it makes him tough so if you don't fancy reloading 30 times then I wouldn't go for it. Certainly makes use of HLAs justifiable/reasonable.

Standard SCS Irenicus without the Tactics improvements is a pushover.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Tactics hasn't been updated for over 4 years, it's definitely not compatible with BG2 EE. SCS is compatible with BG2 EE and will improve Irenicus' AI in both fights through Smarter Mages and there is a component that will give him HLAs, but it doesn't change the fight in Hell like Tactics does. It used to have the 1st part of that fight (the one with the dragon, beholder etc) as a component, but that was removed in v.22.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ilyich posted:

Tactics hasn't been updated for over 4 years, it's definitely not compatible with BG2 EE. SCS is compatible with BG2 EE and will improve Irenicus' AI in both fights through Smarter Mages and there is a component that will give him HLAs, but it doesn't change the fight in Hell like Tactics does. It used to have the 1st part of that fight (the one with the dragon, beholder etc) as a component, but that was removed in v.22.

Huh, so it was. Can't say I mind too much, having multiple stages in a boss fight was kinda gamey and immersion breaking.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
How does the multiplayer in BG/BG2 EE work? I assume the other players take up slots that would otherwise be held by Jaheira and Imoen and all the other NPCs, and is that a bad thing? I'm gonna be playing for the first time and I'm mostly looking for a dicking around with my friends kind of experience, maybe with a old timey BioWare story on top.

Is there a default place your NPC buddies can hang out while they aren't in your party, like the Lucky 38 in New Vegas?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Walker posted:

How does the multiplayer in BG/BG2 EE work? I assume the other players take up slots that would otherwise be held by Jaheira and Imoen and all the other NPCs, and is that a bad thing? I'm gonna be playing for the first time and I'm mostly looking for a dicking around with my friends kind of experience, maybe with a old timey BioWare story on top.

Is there a default place your NPC buddies can hang out while they aren't in your party, like the Lucky 38 in New Vegas?

Personally I think IWD 1/2 are better for "dicking around with buddies" but on the other hand, multiplayer for them is non-functional

And yes that is exactly how it works. From a strictly mechanical optimization perspective, a multiplayer party is likely to be strictly superior to one that uses people like Jaheira and Imoen. It detracts from the narrative for me though. If you have more than one buddy with you anyway.

Personally I think having more than two or three people in a multiplayer game of BG2 is untenable. The pausing gets to be a bit much.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Wow, going through the sewers I ran into the Hatchet guy and his buddies. Summoned a Sword Spider after him, which somehow got turned around back on me. That fucker proceeded to chase Aerie (who had barely any health left) and by proxy my group all the way back to the stairs, up the stairs, all the way through the Temple district and into the Helm temple, where I finally got her out of the way long enough to beat it to death. I was just astounded that no guards or anything came to do something about the hostile spider.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Wow, going through the sewers I ran into the Hatchet guy and his buddies. Summoned a Sword Spider after him, which somehow got turned around back on me. That fucker proceeded to chase Aerie (who had barely any health left) and by proxy my group all the way back to the stairs, up the stairs, all the way through the Temple district and into the Helm temple, where I finally got her out of the way long enough to beat it to death. I was just astounded that no guards or anything came to do something about the hostile spider.

The solution in situations like that is to form your guys into a sort of clump and to have the wounded person run around the clump (as it attacks the spider) until the spider aggros off onto someone in the clump.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Been playing more Planescape and I figure I am most of the way through the game now. I am in curst after defeating ravel Can't believe I have never played this game before. Also concerning Annah I kissed her. Does this game actually have some kind of romance system? I feel kinda obligated to stay true to the ghost girl in the mortuary.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It kind of does, but Chris Avellone hates that stuff and made sure none of your options can have a good ending.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Hey, still early game, just trounced the Nashkel mines jerk and now I'm milling about the wilderness doing sidequests and exploring. It's kinda funny that the mine boss fight took one try and was pretty easy compared to the ambush topside, which had me reloading like a dozen times (and even then, I couldn't make it through without Minsc getting his poo poo wrecked every time).

Kind of a newbie question, but how do I deal with vampiric wolves? None of my ranged weapons work, and when I try to walk up and hit them with any of my +1 or +2 melee weapons they incapacitate and then murder me. They also don't seem affected by hold person, sleep, or any of my other tricks. I know BG2 is all about resistances and all, but this is a party of Level 3 and 4 scrubs we're talking about :saddowns:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Vamp wolves are like a rare spawn around Nashkel at night iirc. Best too just avoid them if possible as they are immune to non-magic weapons and they're quite strong for your level. Worst case scenario is you'll have to run around and kite them to death with magic missiles and wands.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

It kind of does, but Chris Avellone hates that stuff and made sure none of your options can have a good ending.

This is an exaggeration. Basically the idea is, just because something can't last forever doesn't mean it's not worth it. :shobon:

It's bittersweet but a lot of people try to pretend it's literally misery porn for some reason.

Edit: To be fair it should be pretty clear that settling down with someone isn't an option when the entire premise is being on a quest to loving kill yourself though.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 7, 2014

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Vampiric wolves will still spawn during the day, somehow. They're also undead so sleep, hold and stuff like that won't work. Damage spells will hurt them just fine, though.

Buy some +1 arrows and bullets. Have someone kite them around while the rest of the party is filling them with said magical ammunition. Easy 2000 xp even for a level 1 party.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Captain Oblivious posted:

This is an exaggeration. Basically the idea is, just because something can't last forever doesn't mean it's not worth it. :shobon:

It's bittersweet but a lot of people try to pretend it's literally misery porn for some reason.

Yeah, bittersweet is basically the essence of romantic love, any love story that doesn't convey that is shallow and childish if you ask me. Considering the way PS:T ends, I don't see how anyone could possibly expect a traditional happy ending for any of the romances. I've only finished it once, but I remember Fall-From-Grace saying something about how she'll find The Nameless One, no matter how long it takes and that seems like a relatively happy/romantic ending to me.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Adam Bowen posted:

Yeah, bittersweet is basically the essence of romantic love, any love story that doesn't convey that is shallow and childish if you ask me. Considering the way PS:T ends, I don't see how anyone could possibly expect a traditional happy ending for any of the romances. I've only finished it once, but I remember Fall-From-Grace saying something about how she'll find The Nameless One, no matter how long it takes and that seems like a relatively happy/romantic ending to me.

That's both rather beautiful in a dark way, but I'm not sure how it could work anyway. Her kiss is deadly (she has no control over this as far as I know) and he can't die, but after certain possible endgame outcomes (I won't spoil it) he is presumably mortal again. Bit of a head scratcher, that.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
How do I edit the properties of items, specifically aliment restrictions? I am running an evil party through BG2 and want to have more items available to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Did anyone discussing Draconis strategies bring up the Shapechange cheese or was that patched out?

If not, the one true way is shapechanging into a mind flayer and meleeing his human form a few times.