Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vib Rib posted:

Doesn't it say this explicitly in the ore descriptions?

Not how to repair with it, no. It does mention that it's used in repairing pickaxes, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
How do you keep around a stone pickaxe long enough to need it repaired?

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
If you want to delete a character without playing the guessing game you can open PLAYER files with notepad and the character name will be on the first line.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

Doesn't it say this explicitly in the ore descriptions?

Combo of "I must have stopped reading the ore descs since they added that", and the fact Silver, gold, and platnium do not list this (and why pay attention to copper/iron descs then if you are that far into materials?) for why I have missed this now obvious fact. It DOES explain how to though on the Copper and Iron now though.

Can you also repair a stone pickaxe now? Which was the first thing I tried when told "just right click with the ore" and thought I was doing something wrong.

reignonyourparade posted:

How do you keep around a stone pickaxe long enough to need it repaired?

Having bad luck finding any ores in prior patches, turning into finding piles of Iron and a good chunk of silver and gold but still taking forever to scrape up enough copper to get the 8 bars needed for a pickaxe, 12 if you stopped to make a Wooden Cooking Table (which needs 4 Copper bars) so you can make bread and such. Can't make an Iron pickaxe until you make a copper one, can't make a copper one with 23 Iron bars and 3 copper bars.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Section Z posted:

It DOES explain how to though on the Copper and Iron now though.

Huh, so it does. How long's that been there, since Angry Koala?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm pretty sure it's always been there. I remember seeing it my first time playing and assuming they didn't have the ship repair feature in yet.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

I'm pretty sure it's always been there. I remember seeing it my first time playing and assuming they didn't have the ship repair feature in yet.

Nah, I definitely have screenshots where it just says "Can be used to repair pickaxes." but doesn't say how.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
For people who have played both Starbound and Terraria, a hypothetical: If you could go back in time before playing either game, which would you play first, or would it really not matter? Just in terms of general enjoyment and the ~experience~.

I have Terraria in my backlog but this looks cool. Wondering if Starbound would feel even cooler/less-cool/same-cool if I play it before Terraria. I swear this question makes sense in my head. I'm tired :confused:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you've played Terraria, the amount of stuff currently in Starbound is pretty underwhelming. What makes it interesting right now is its potential+design goals.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

lady blue shanghai posted:

I have Terraria in my backlog but this looks cool. Wondering if Starbound would feel even cooler/less-cool/same-cool if I play it before Terraria. I swear this question makes sense in my head. I'm tired :confused:

Terraria is a more complete, feature-rich game...but I think Starbound is more fun to play and has a much better interface. I don't think it will ruin one experience to play the other. If you want an order, I'd play Terraria first and come back to Starbound when its closer to its finished state.

Possibly A Ghost
Jul 27, 2013

For people who have played both Starbound and Terraria, a hypothetical: If you could go back in time before playing either game, which would you play first, or would it really not matter? Just in terms of general enjoyment and the ~experience~.

Sort of depends on what kind of experience you're looking for right now. I'd say the non-combat mechanics (digging, building, the UI) are handled much better in Starcraft, but Terraria definitely feels like a more complete action game (because it is). It feels more driven than Starbound, I guess? The two are played fairly differently even though they look similar on paper.
At least, that's what I remember, I haven't played Terraria in like two years :downs:

edit: also there's a character wipe on the way so keep that in mind

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.

C-Euro posted:

I don't know if it's the lack pre-established underground tunnels,

There's tons of cool underground stuff on most planets (or that's how it seems to me, granted I've only gotten to like, tier 3.)

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Rocketlex posted:

Terraria is a more complete, feature-rich game...but I think Starbound is more fun to play and has a much better interface. I don't think it will ruin one experience to play the other. If you want an order, I'd play Terraria first and come back to Starbound when its closer to its finished state.

I don't know if I'd say Starbound has a better interface than Terraria, there are a couple UI things that are driving me nuts. For example the inventory window always resets to being in the middle of the screen when you use a crafting station or campfire, right where it completely covers up your character and the area around you. So whenever I have to place objects or tiles I end up dragging the window off to the side so I can place something, then as soon as I use a crafting station I have to do it again. In addition the key for bringing up the inventory is "i" which means that I have to take my left hand off WASD, whereas in Terraria you could bring up the (fixed) inventory window with Escape. I've found it's simpler just to use the mouse to bring it up.

These are the kinds of things that sound utterly inconsequential but you do them hundreds of times each session and it starts to becoming frustrating.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Bilal posted:

I don't know if I'd say Starbound has a better interface than Terraria, there are a couple UI things that are driving me nuts. For example the inventory window always resets to being in the middle of the screen when you use a crafting station or campfire, right where it completely covers up your character and the area around you. So whenever I have to place objects or tiles I end up dragging the window off to the side so I can place something, then as soon as I use a crafting station I have to do it again. In addition the key for bringing up the inventory is "i" which means that I have to take my left hand off WASD, whereas in Terraria you could bring up the (fixed) inventory window with Escape. I've found it's simpler just to use the mouse to bring it up.

These are the kinds of things that sound utterly inconsequential but you do them hundreds of times each session and it starts to becoming frustrating.

These are all really good points that have been bothering me since day 1, coupled with the lack of storage interface stuff beyond shift-clicking. The only place where Starbound really has quality of life improvements that people keep gushing about is with building stuff. Also Terraria has a better trashcan.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
I'm finding the lack of direction after crafting the Distress Beacon quite annoying. I was expecting more indicators as to what I have to do - which as far as I can tell is keep killing mobs with the Brain Extractor until I get a superior brain, then craft a robot boss?

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Mister Bung posted:

I'm finding the lack of direction after crafting the Distress Beacon quite annoying. I was expecting more indicators as to what I have to do - which as far as I can tell is keep killing mobs with the Brain Extractor until I get a superior brain, then craft a robot boss?
Well, right now, those "craft items to spawn a boss" are very placeholder (not how it will be in the real game) and there aren't any reaaaaaal quests in since it's beta. "Build everything you can craft" is in general a good direction to aim for :v:

Yes, you're correct about the brains :)

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Yeah that's it. The lack of quests and directions post-UFO is one of the more telling signs of it being an early beta and it gets even worse after defeating the final boss to reach the X sector. After that's it's just "get 40 bars of the latest resource, get blueprints to learn to make the next step" with every other step requiring you to start moving up in planet tiers and the rest being just the last resource combined with coal.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Speaking of UI problems, is there still really no way to just pick up/drop one item out of a stack?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I am going around throwing captured dinosaurs onto random ships.

This is what they look like! Prancing little things. NO ESCAPE!
For some reason people get mad.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

DarkDobe posted:

I am going around throwing captured dinosaurs onto random ships.

This is what they look like! Prancing little things. NO ESCAPE!
For some reason people get mad.

The last time I saw someone put a pet on another person's ship, any service npcs that were placed on that ship got killed by the pet, while the pet remained immune to retaliation. You're griefing, you horrible monster. :ohdear:

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Korgan posted:

The last time I saw someone put a pet on another person's ship, any service npcs that were placed on that ship got killed by the pet, while the pet remained immune to retaliation. You're griefing, you horrible monster. :ohdear:

Oh my. I did not even know this. The cutest grief!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Couldn't you just put a tesla spike or some hot coals next to the thing and let it kill itself on them?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

The last couple of patches for Terraria were better than the earlier stuff, but it's very much a game that's coasted on it's 100% market share until Starbound came looming. That may sound like I don't like it but it's not a bad game (I have 301 hours played), there's just a lot of irritations and everything seems to have been implemented with the least amount of effort possible.

What I'm saying is, I'd play Terraria first because it's definitely worth playing but once I'd played Starbound, I could never go back.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Angry Diplomat posted:

Couldn't you just put a tesla spike or some hot coals next to the thing and let it kill itself on them?

So far as I can tell enviro hazards don't do anything to mobs. None of the dangerous items do anything onboard ships.

That said - it is possible to kill 'friendly' pet NPCs with splash damage from explosives, as my friend discovered, but ONLY if you are not their 'owner' - i.e. the person who captured them.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:

Since Terraria is an older, more mature game, it will last much longer than Starbound right now. I'd recommend Terraria first.

If you get sucked into the progression it will keep you busy for a good while, which will give Starbound more time in the oven so it'll be a more finished game when you get to it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mister Bung posted:

Was that explained in game at all? That is definitely something that should've been explained in game (and before I crafted a whole bunch more pickaxes...)
Yes. I am pretty sure I saw a tooltip for it pretty soon after making my first pickaxe, somewhere or other.

There's no other way I'd possibly know how to left click and then right click on the item. v:shobon:v

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
In Terraria you had to build some sort of house to protect yourself or at least your NPCs. Starbound lets you escape to your ship whenever, and the NPCs aren't tied to you (unless you spawn them, and finding spawners isn't common) so the motivations for building, other than having somewhere to dump your loot, are reduced.

Terraria's map, among other things, served as a sort of completion bar where you could see "I've explored this much, I have this much left to explore," pushing you to say, "well, maybe I'll keep playing and see what's in that black spot there." Starbound doesn't have anything like this either for individual planets or the starmap.

Terraria's difficulty ramped up simply by walking from one place to another, or sometimes just by waiting until nighttime, or falling a bit too far down the wrong hole, whereas in Starbound you have total control over difficulty level by deliberately flying from planet to fixed-difficulty planet. I think the former works better for gameplay but others may disagree.

Based on these I'd say Terraria works better as a game vice a bitchin' game engine, which is exactly what you'd expect considering one is finished and mature and the other is still in very early beta. The second point I think is the most critical, without that "gotta clear the map" motivation, which would be impossible / meaningless / not very fun in an essentially infinite map, Starbound needs something to encourage the player both to want to advance in sectors and to explore their existing sector beyond the minimum needed to get the boss gadget. That's pretty much got to be through the quest system and that's very explicitly not finished right now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think Starbound's strength is the limitless number of planets. I can't decide if it would be a terribly good gameplay mechanic, but the idea of developing bigger and more absurd mining equipment until you're literally destroying entire planets for fuel is hilarious to me.

Like at tier 0, a couple veins of coal is good enough to get you somewhere else. By tier 10 you need a ton of uranium to haul your world devourer to the next victim.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm excited to see what sort of quests and instanced interactions get added. I've been making new characters just to explore starting worlds, since I don't want to get too attached to any of them before they're obsolesced by the next patch. On my most recent one I found a USCM penal colony which spanned several screens. I was thinking it would be fun to actually be able to decide whether to help the prisoners rebel or help the guards suppress a riot, instead of what I actually did, which is just kill everything for a huge stack of stims and pixels.

Have the developers said anything about the direction they're trying to take with quests?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Snowdens Secret posted:

In Terraria you had to build some sort of house to protect yourself or at least your NPCs. Starbound lets you escape to your ship whenever, and the NPCs aren't tied to you (unless you spawn them, and finding spawners isn't common) so the motivations for building, other than having somewhere to dump your loot, are reduced.

I really don't understand why you'd play either game if you weren't bringing at least some motivation to build with you. It'd be like playing Minecraft for the rpg elements.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Dear tiy: middle click an item to use from inventory please.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Another difference between Terraria and Starbound is that Starbound is a lot more sandboxy. Terraria even limited you to five worlds before that recent major update and even then it encouraged you to not leave your world much. Aside from that, to progress in Terraria you had to dig all the way down. The game was also considerably more inconvenient to play if you didn't build anything. It rewarded you pretty strongly for building at least enough housing to keep your NPCs in. Even though now you can create 1,000 worlds (or some such number, it's more than you need anyway) it doesn't have nearly the absurd interstellar breadth of Starbound.

Which is the right decision is ultimately up to personal taste. Some people just want to build their gigantic golden penises while others want to go beat up on the Wall of Flesh fifty times.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
So now for the real question - Aegisalt: Aegis+Alt or Aegis+Salt?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I really SHOULD get past "I finally have a drat Meteorite pickaxe" as my highpoint Terraria sometime, I've not even touched it since the big content update. I'll admit aside from various other distractions, a large reason I tended to taper off is that some of the results of activating "hard mode" mean I know looming in the future is an Endgame I don't actually want to turn on. As Uncontrolled wave of Corruption/Hallow and it spreading more easily once you kill that Wall Of Flesh pushes things a bit to far into annoying over difficulty spike because unless you are lucky, only foreknowledge and a stack of worldwide perpetration will slow it down.

Plus for some stupid reason I feel wrong if I just crank up a new world for the sole purpose of going after hard mode goodies just because I dont want the world I worked up from spawn to that point to be made less neat and tidy :spergin:

Also, Aegis+Salt. Especially once those cool crystal people get finished.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 7, 2014

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
In my experience, everyone makes way too big a deal about the spread, and preparations to stop it. It used to be a bigger deal when corrupt enemies could spit corruption onto your grass over any walls/barriers you'd built but now it's pretty easy to control the spread, especially with some of the new tools, and even moreso over a small area. Protecting the immediate area around your base is simple enough and that's all you really need.
People over exaggerate it.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
It would be nice of them to let you start off with some sort of drill after a save wipe. Most of the irritation in starting new is in sloooowly taking things apart with the matter manipulator.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The slow start is a bit obnoxious, but it only takes like two trees and 5 clumps of stone though, I can't imagine it clocks in at more than two minutes or so. The part I'm less fond of is that first point of getting enough copper for your pickaxe and first armor suit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No the real problem with a fresh character is the unbalanced boss fights that every single one of us cheeses to win. :colbert:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Vib Rib posted:

The slow start is a bit obnoxious, but it only takes like two trees and 5 clumps of stone though, I can't imagine it clocks in at more than two minutes or so. The part I'm less fond of is that first point of getting enough copper for your pickaxe and first armor suit.
They should just give new characters a temporary buff that improves the deconstructor by like 100% for 5 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010

dog kisser posted:

So now for the real question - Aegisalt: Aegis+Alt or Aegis+Salt?

I always figured it was something like basalt, which doesn't really make sense, seeing as how it's a volcanic rock and not a metal.

• Locked thread