Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Raw skill does affect damage, armor, spell costs, and what not. It's not as much of an effect as what the perks do but it is there.

Armor reduces physical damage taken by a percentage. I think it's 0.12% per point of armor rating, but there's some hidden mechanics. I think it's 25 hidden points of armor rating per piece of body armor you're wearing.

Head Hit Keyboard fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ineptitude posted:

3 quick questions:
-Does leveling a skill do anything except bring you closer to a new level and potentially unlock new perks? E.g would leveling onehanded make me do any more damage in its own, or is that purely from perks + better weapons?
The levels you have in One-Handed, Two-Handed & Archery increases the damage you do with those weapons. Levels in magic skills decreases the magicka cost of the spells of those school. Etc.
The pages for the different skills on the uesp describes each skill's effect.

Ineptitude posted:

-I see some locations, even individual houses in villages, show as "cleared", does that mean that there is nothing more to do there? (and to what capacity, ie no more quests or no more quests + treasures, etc) and does that mean that on locations that are NOT "cleared" there are more quests or things to unlock?
Dungeons are tagged as "Cleared" when you've killed the boss. A cleared dungeon can still have non-boss enemies roaming around and loot to be found. Also the area will take 30 ingame days to respawn, instead of the normal 10 days.
Note that not all dungeons can have the cleared tag. So if it doesn't get that tag even if you killed everything that moved, it doesn't necesarily mean you missed something.

Ineptitude posted:

-What does armor do? Reduce incoming damage by a %, or make me harder to hit?
Armour reduces incoming physical damage by a percentage. See this article for details.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 7, 2014

Quift
May 11, 2012

Ineptitude posted:

Loving this game, its a long time ago since ive spent an entire evening playing a game and noticing it is suddenly time to go to bed!
E.g would leveling onehanded make me do any more damage in its own, or is that purely from perks + better weapons?

Leveling one-handed makes it easier to stay up late. Rumours claim that it might be damaging but those are not true unless you have heavily modified your game. You will find many mods that help you level your one-handed skill on the Nexus.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
So I'm going through my semi-annual Skyrim reinstall and mod retooling. These days I have an awesome enough mod set-up that I'm hesitant to throw any big monkey wrenches into the works.

But there are two newer mods that really grabbed my attention. Any goon reviews...? Are these likely to play nice with SPERG and all my realism poo poo?

Hunterborn
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33201/

I used to have a mod that gave me more realistic amounts of wildlife drops, but the author disappeared early on and it became incompatible with several of my other, more important mods. This looks like a possibly amazing replacement...?

I use Imp's; anything new's gotta work with that.

Alternately, is there another great new mod out there for hunters that features more realistic skinning/meat drops/etc.?

Trade Routes
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/49369/

I'm always hesitant to mess with economy-changing mods, because they always tend to gently caress my poo poo up over time. But this seems really appealing, if it's solid.

Thoughts?

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 7, 2014

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Trustworthy posted:

So I'm going through my semi-annual Skyrim reinstall and mod retooling. These days I have an awesome enough mod set-up that I'm hesitant to throw any big monkey wrenches into the works.

But there are two newer mods that really grabbed my attention. Any goon reviews...? Are these likely to play nice with SPERG and all my realism poo poo?

Hunterborn
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33201/

I used to have a mod that gave me more realistic amounts of wildlife drops, but the author disappeared early on and it became incompatible with several of my other, more important mods. This looks like a possibly amazing replacement...?

I use Imp's; anything new's gotta work with that.

Alternately, is there another great new mod out there for hunters that features more realistic skinning/meat drops/etc.?

Trade Routes
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/49369/

I'm always hesitant to mess with economy-changing mods, because they always tend to gently caress my poo poo up over time. But this seems really appealing, if it's solid.

Thoughts?

I've been playing with Hunterborn for a couple of days and really enjoy it. Note however that unless you're playing with a needs mod of some kind, you are going to end up with far more meat than you know what to do with. I just offload it to food vendors. No more of this 'kill an elk and only harvest two pounds of usable meat from the carcass' bullshit, if you take down a huge animal and spend hours dressing, skinning, and butchering it, you're going to get a pretty damned solid payoff.

It also lets you pick up and carry animal corpses, which is nice if you have some sort of camping mod that lets you set up a temporary base of operations. Kill a bunch of animals, drag them all back to base, then process them all at once. There's also a new Scrimshaw ability that lets you get some use out of all those bones, plus a bunch of new alchemy ingredients to play with.

Out of curiousity, has anyone tried Civil War Overhaul? http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/37216/ It looks really loving good, but does anyone here have a trip report?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I can attest that Hunterborn is awesome. Haven't tried Trade Routes, since Trade & Barter is enough for me right now. I might give it a shot at some point, though.

Hunterborn is sweet because of how unobtrusive it is - it fits well into the game. It also reminds me a ton of Far Cry 3/Red Dead Redemption, which is a good thing.

Quift
May 11, 2012
I'm currently doing a bosmer hunter survivalist run with Realistic needs, hunterborn and frostfall. I might limtt RND somwhat since it takes days to clear out a dungeon but it's a fun run så far. Hauling tons of venison/elk into riverrun or another big city to trade for metal tools, arrows etc.

the difficulty is further ramped up by realistic wildlife, immersive creatures and ASIS and deadly combat means I have to stay clear of packs of wolves or frostbite spiders or die a gruesome death.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mister Bates posted:

Out of curiousity, has anyone tried Civil War Overhaul? http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/37216/ It looks really loving good, but does anyone here have a trip report?

A bunch of goons including myself have tried it, and I think the general consensus is that it has some nice features but is horribly buggy, requires console commands to fix many events, and also has some idiotic and unbalanced features (eg. giants during sieges :confused:). It will most likely break your save, so if you'd like to experiment make sure you keep a backup. It's not main save material.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Is there a mod that scales up destruction? It's just silly that it takes 50 fire hits to kill a guy while I can take him out with a single arrow to the crotch.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Gyshall posted:

Haven't tried Trade Routes, since Trade & Barter is enough for me right now.

How is that working out for you? Is it stable, useful/enjoyable, and not prone to loving poo poo up?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Noni posted:

Is there a mod that scales up destruction? It's just silly that it takes 50 fire hits to kill a guy while I can take him out with a single arrow to the crotch.

You want Better Magic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Noni posted:

SPERG will do this pretty well, and it plays nicely with most things. Plus it overhauls perks in general so that you automatically get the 'be incrementally better' ones automatically as you level and get to choose more powerful ones once every two levels. It also makes shouting and unarmed scale better, and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Leveling, in the vanilla game, just adds to your progress bar which you have to fill to gain a level. When you gain a level, you can increase one basic stat (Magicka, Health, Stamina) plus add a single perk provided your level in that skill tree is high enough. So if you've swung your one-handed sword enough, you could increase your skills in One-Handed with a single perk point. Also, regardless of your opinions on mods, I'd look into getting SPERG because vanilla leveling is a slog.

I'm on my first run and I'm already like 25 levels in and 30ish hours in. I guess it's too late to enable SPERG eh? :(

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
In my experience playing Skyrim, it is never too late to start over.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Xtanstic posted:

I'm on my first run and I'm already like 25 levels in and 30ish hours in. I guess it's too late to enable SPERG eh? :(

You don't have to start over, it can take whatever your current skill level is in each category and give you the automatic perks. I think what it doesn't do though is give you any points to spend on the extra perks. So it's kind of better to use SPERG early-on, but the perks you have to buy manually aren't really essential by any means.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

You don't have to start over, it can take whatever your current skill level is in each category and give you the automatic perks. I think what it doesn't do though is give you any points to spend on the extra perks. So it's kind of better to use SPERG early-on, but the perks you have to buy manually aren't really essential by any means.

It tweaks the skill gain, but does SPERG change how many perk points per level you get? I know there is a perk reset option in the mod, so I know I could just reset and fix the perk selection. The grindiness of the vanilla game has started to annoy me as it seems that any perk not used in combat is wasted and I need to 'waste' too many perks in non-combat trees before I can get to grab a useful perk (not to mention grinding the dumb skill so I have the prerequisite level for it).

e: oh I just saw the post in the OP. I'm dumb. Seems like I can't really think of a reason not to jump onto SPERG now.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
SPERG is literally how Skyrim should have shipped.

Trustworthy posted:

How is that working out for you? Is it stable, useful/enjoyable, and not prone to loving poo poo up?

Just fine, I've replaced "Cutthroat Merchants" with this, which balances much more.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Killsion posted:

In my experience playing Skyrim, it is never too late to start over.

Just don't end up like some of us and turn installing mods into its own side game where you constantly restart the game with new characters and never progress.

Quift
May 11, 2012

Sylink posted:

Just don't end up like some of us and turn installing mods into its own side game where you constantly restart the game with new characters and never progress.

Speaking of this...

I'm currently experiencing an eternal loading screen when I try to enter dragonsreach. probably due to Random alternate start. This isn't much of a problem just means that I will never experience the main plot on this run, but i'm wondering if anyone has a tip on how to kill Skyrim except a hard reboot?

(win8)
I can ctrl-alt-delete, and open the task manager, but the desktop is only responsive above the bottom bar (taskbar?), so I can choose it, but the mouse disappears when I move it up.
I can open the winn8 start menu, but there is nothing to do there (but it is very pretty?)
alt-f4 doesnt do squat.

So is there anyway to kill a process from a fullscreen app in win8? because those work but they can sort of only check my twitter feed (for which I would obviouslt need a fulllscreen app).

Or wrestle back the control of the desktop environment from skyrim?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Sylink posted:

I've played Oblivion and Fallout 3. I am not new to the Bethesda way of gaming :). Thankfully, this time I started modding as soon as I got out of Helgen. God that awful vanilla UI.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Quift posted:

(win8)
I can ctrl-alt-delete, and open the task manager, but the desktop is only responsive above the bottom bar (taskbar?), so I can choose it, but the mouse disappears when I move it up.

I have this same issue on Windows 7, once the task manager is open alt tabbing away from it and then back to it generally fixes the problem.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

One more SPERG question:

SPERG posted:

Skyrim -Community- Uncapper - Despite the name, SPERG doesn't actually uncap your skills using this mod. Instead, it limits your perk gain to one every two levels. SPERG perks are very potent, so gaining one perk per level is quite overpowered. Of course, you can tweak the uncapper configuration any way you want. Double your perk gain, reduce it further, uncap your skills (or don't). It's up to you.

Should I turn off perk gain for the next few levels so it retroactively fixes perk balance, or am I worrying too much about having a "balanced" experience?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

One more SPERG question:

Should I turn off perk gain for the next few levels so it retroactively fixes perk balance, or am I worrying too much about having a "balanced" experience?

You're worrying too much. Besides, you're still going to be an overpowered god of death eventually, so just enjoy doing so.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

I haven't used it long enough to say it won't break things. So far prices seem quite a lot higher, and default settings merchants carry an insane amount of stuff. It's mostly very tweakable though, so I've stopped them having such an overwhelming amount of stock. It might not help that I'm running it alongside Trade and Barter :v:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Quift posted:

Speaking of this...

I'm currently experiencing an eternal loading screen when I try to enter dragonsreach. probably due to Random alternate start. This isn't much of a problem just means that I will never experience the main plot on this run, but i'm wondering if anyone has a tip on how to kill Skyrim except a hard reboot?

(win8)
I can open the winn8 start menu, but there is nothing to do there (but it is very pretty?)
alt-f4 doesnt do squat.

So is there anyway to kill a process from a fullscreen app in win8? because those work but they can sort of only check my twitter feed (for which I would obviouslt need a fulllscreen app).

Or wrestle back the control of the desktop environment from skyrim?

You can also sign out and sign back in. which saves you a restart, but not your open files.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

LtSmash posted:

TESVedit :words:

I'm quoting this so I can find it easily later on because holy gently caress is this good info.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
So, I'm experiencing a bug. I installed SPERG, making sure to install the Community Uncapper first. When installing SPERG via mod manager, I selected the 'recommended SPERG uncapper settings' or whatever that option was called, to ensure the uncapper was configured correctly. I'm still receiving perks every level anyway, instead of every other level like I should be. Can I just manually adjust the settings to the right values?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Mister Bates posted:

So, I'm experiencing a bug. I installed SPERG, making sure to install the Community Uncapper first. When installing SPERG via mod manager, I selected the 'recommended SPERG uncapper settings' or whatever that option was called, to ensure the uncapper was configured correctly. I'm still receiving perks every level anyway, instead of every other level like I should be. Can I just manually adjust the settings to the right values?

There's a .ini file for in the SPERG download, just manually copy it over the Uncapper ini and that should take care of it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Are you using MO? I think that is a bug with the SPERG installer. Open the SPERG archive and either add the uncapper to the SPERG mod directory, or just copy/paste it onto the Uncapper's INI file.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Yes, I am using MO, and yes, copying the .ini file into the appropriate folder manually fixed the issue. Thanks, folks.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Xtanstic posted:

One more SPERG question:

It should give you the appropriate number of points on character import, but I'm told it sometimes gets it wrong. There's an option in the config menu to set perk points to whatever you want, so you can fix any problems easily.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Is there a reason you don't just include overwriting the Uncapper settings with the SPERG ones as part of the installation process seorin, given that this seems to be a common problem with mod managers?

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Maybe this?

Thanks! Removing this fixed it.

Quift
May 11, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

You can also sign out and sign back in. which saves you a restart, but not your open files.

This works! Great. Thank you

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

epitasis posted:

Is there a reason you don't just include overwriting the Uncapper settings with the SPERG ones as part of the installation process seorin, given that this seems to be a common problem with mod managers?

It's there in the code, and it works fine for me. It doesn't work for a lot of people, though, and I don't know why. I don't even know if it's just a bug or something I did wrong. The installer is about as minimalist as it gets.

White Legs
Apr 24, 2006

"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price." :911:
So recently I attempted to make a Merged Patch after getting a few too many endless load screens or CTD's, but I couldn't find a definite answer on this. When doing merged patches should I be making several for e.g; a merged patch of my armor/weapon mods, a merged patch for npc mods, or is it fine to just select everything and merge it. I tried to use some merge script that would automatically renumber formID's because I was too afraid to try that by hand but it'd run into an error and stop mid-way (or at least it seemed to) so I gave up and just selected everything I was currently using and merged like that.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thanks guys for the primer on cleared, skills and armor!

Quift posted:

Leveling one-handed makes it easier to stay up late. Rumours claim that it might be damaging but those are not true unless you have heavily modified your game. You will find many mods that help you level your one-handed skill on the Nexus.

Haha well played!

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

White Legs posted:

So recently I attempted to make a Merged Patch after getting a few too many endless load screens or CTD's, but I couldn't find a definite answer on this. When doing merged patches should I be making several for e.g; a merged patch of my armor/weapon mods, a merged patch for npc mods, or is it fine to just select everything and merge it. I tried to use some merge script that would automatically renumber formID's because I was too afraid to try that by hand but it'd run into an error and stop mid-way (or at least it seemed to) so I gave up and just selected everything I was currently using and merged like that.

Noooooooo! A Merged Patch is like a bashed patch but made by tesedit. Load all your mods (minus things like skyproc mods that have dynamic patches) in tesedit and wait for the finished loading message. Then right click on a blank space in the left panel and choose create merged patch. It will say its not supported but click ok, then give it a name. It will work for a while and eventually make a new esp with the conflicting records merged together. Make sure you save it when you exit. Then activate it in your load order and make any dynamic patches like automatic variants or DSR or reproccer. You might have to add a BOSS user rule to make sure the merged patch loads before those.

The other kind of merged patch that involves renumbering formids, like the script does, just mashes the contents of separate mods together. Its only useful if you have more than 255 mods since that's the limit of the number of esm/esp files skyrim will allow. It only works on simple mods since if they involve scripts or complex references between entries they will almost certainly get messed up.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Things get a little weird with Better Vampires since you can turn anyone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

LtSmash posted:

Noooooooo! A Merged Patch is like a bashed patch but made by tesedit. Load all your mods (minus things like skyproc mods that have dynamic patches) in tesedit and wait for the finished loading message. Then right click on a blank space in the left panel and choose create merged patch. It will say its not supported but click ok, then give it a name. It will work for a while and eventually make a new esp with the conflicting records merged together. Make sure you save it when you exit. Then activate it in your load order and make any dynamic patches like automatic variants or DSR or reproccer. You might have to add a BOSS user rule to make sure the merged patch loads before those.

The other kind of merged patch that involves renumbering formids, like the script does, just mashes the contents of separate mods together. Its only useful if you have more than 255 mods since that's the limit of the number of esm/esp files skyrim will allow. It only works on simple mods since if they involve scripts or complex references between entries they will almost certainly get messed up.

Your posts have been extremely helpful, and have made things far clearer than STEP, etc. (which are themselves pretty good). If I understand the general sequence correctly:

1. Launch everything through Mod Organizer. Seriously, everything.
2. Load mods into Mod Organizer
3. Select the mods you want to use
4. Run BOSS
5. Organize the mods in the left-hand pane of Mod Organizer in the same priority as BOSS organized the ESPs and ESMs in the right-hand pane
6. Run Wrye Bash
7. Create Bashed Patch
8. Activate Bashed Patch
9. Run TES5Edit
10. Create Merged Patch
11. Activate Merged Patch
12. Create various proccer patches (e.g. Automatic Variants)
13. Activate various proccer patches
14. Run SKSE_Loader
15. Play Skyrim until you decide to play with mods some more

Is this correct?

• Locked thread