Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Headhunter posted:

I currently have a 650D which I bought just over a year ago now and am starting to feel like I want to upgrade. I really can't afford the jump to full frame at this point but I'm considering a smaller upgrade to a 60D. I know that it has a far better viewfinder and has better controls but realistically will I see any improvement in image quality or does the fact that Canon keep wheeling out the same sensor mean there'll be no difference?

The IQ is gonna be pretty similar between this generation of Canon crop cameras. Save your bux and go full frame if you want better IQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

The IQ is gonna be pretty similar between this generation of Canon crop cameras. Save your bux and go full frame if you want better IQ.

Yeah just save the money until you can afford FF. 650D is a fine camera.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Just to chime in, I'm still on a 50D and I'm not upgrading until I can go full frame. If you got money to burn, spend it on lights and lenses. That will have more of an impact on your photography than any body will.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
You guys are right, I should definitely save for full frame. I just needed talking down from the impulse buying ledge.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Impulse buy a full frame. Problem solved, you're welcome

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Headhunter posted:

I currently have a 650D which I bought just over a year ago now and am starting to feel like I want to upgrade. I really can't afford the jump to full frame at this point but I'm considering a smaller upgrade to a 60D. I know that it has a far better viewfinder and has better controls but realistically will I see any improvement in image quality or does the fact that Canon keep wheeling out the same sensor mean there'll be no difference?

Well considering the 60D came out even before the 600D did, you definitely won't be seeing any image quality improvement.

What you do get is a decent sized grip, better build, second control wheel, better AF (I think), nicer brighter viewfinder etc. if that worth it to you then go for it. There's like 3 60Ds for sale right now in the buy/sell thread so you could get a pretty good price on one I bet.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Ughh my 60D resale value :negative:

At least fewer people will be suckered into rebels for their first camera :unsmith:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Seamonster posted:

Ughh my 60D resale value :negative:

At least fewer people will be suckered into rebels for their first camera :unsmith:

Hey now, T2i was my first camera and I stand by the fact it's an awesome first camera. :colbert:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

bisticles posted:

You're damned right about the 135mm. Finally got a chance to do a portrait session with it this weekend and was really happy with the color & contrast rendering, plus just the magic that it does with people's faces.

I hadn't heard about the 70-200 f/2.8 being a dog in low light. Are you talking about AF, or just getting a steady shot in general?

The AF. Should have been more specific, I was at 200mm and a good ~75-80 feet from the stage. I was at 2.8, 1/100th / 3200 and still a stop overexposed.

Thinking back on it, there was a light purple light and everything was washed out in that light. Kind of flat, so perhaps there wasn't enough contrast to find something on which to focus? Maybe a problem with focusing to infinity? Once I went back to manual, I didn't have a problem.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Headhunter posted:

No, you will not see any improvements. I believe you have to wait for their next generation of their APS-C sensor for that.

Wait for the 80D or something.

Or save up and buy a used 6D to the summer.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

erephus posted:

No, you will not see any improvements. I believe you have to wait for their next generation of their APS-C sensor for that.

Wait for the 80D or something.

The 70D has a new sensor, 20 MP, though I'm not sure if it's much better in low light.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

My poor, poor wallet.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target

erephus posted:

drat. I didn't realise that used 6Ds were less than £1000. I mainly shoot landscapes and architecture stuff so I don't need the bajillion point autofocus on the 5D. The built-in GPS on the 6D however will definitely be useful to me.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

doctor 7 posted:

Hey now, T2i was my first camera and I stand by the fact it's an awesome first camera. :colbert:

My first camera was a 60D. I had to use my work's T3i a few months ago, and it felt really crappy. It just wasn't comfortable to hold, and the camera's features felt weirdly gimpy. All else being equal, I think the XXD line is a better first choice if you're reasonably sure you want to throw your money away into the photo pit.

:colbert:

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

IanTheM posted:

The 70D has a new sensor, 20 MP, though I'm not sure if it's much better in low light.

slightly, but not by much. the jpegs look better because it's got a newer processor, but meaningless if you shoot raw

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm still shooting with a 30D.

That said, I might upgrade to another crop camera sometime because max ISO of 1600 (and grainy as poo poo at that) is getting frustrating to deal with.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The following garbage, is that a sensor/DSP gently caress up or will I need to write up an obituary for my SD card pretty soon?

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
When my CF card was dying I got half photos then black frames. You've isolated this behavior to one specific memory card?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I have only one memory card, I keep formatting it. It's a Sandisk and no cheap poo poo, so I'd think it'll survive a while. I shot maybe 6000 images total on it. It was a single image only of a batch of 100. I'm just surprised that it's a rectangle in a corner, instead of half up/down. Must be some strange data ordering.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
1 in 6000 isn't bad, but I'd keep track of any photo irregularities and if there is a slight trend upward, either send it back to Sandisk to get a replacement or try another card and see if it still happens. It would not be unheard of for a camera to also have issues, but I'd start troubleshooting memory cards first.

I've only had real trouble with Kingston/Transcend cards in the past getting half images or no image in a file. Sandisk have been flawless for me.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I can't tell you if it's the memory card or not, but if it is the card, I'd highly suggest replacing it ASAP. It's not worth the chance that that it will screw up your once in a lifetime shot.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Haggins posted:

It's not worth the chance that that it will screw up your once in a lifetime shot.

That's one photo of a tree that won't end up in the "For every image there is a story..." thread. :(

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'm talking about the future. He's fortunate that it was only that image.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

doctor 7 posted:

I still like my T2i and I maintain that it slapped together with a nifty fifty/shorty forty is still the best way to learn to deal with the limitations of framing before jumping into the money pit that is photography.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'm thinking about adding a third flash to my set of a 580ex II and a 430ex II. I just got a wireless Yongnuo ettl trigger and right now the plan is to put three in a softbox to use as my key light. I figure I'll put the radio trigger on the 580 which will command the other 2 flashes via IR (shouldn't be a problem when they're close together in a softbox).

So my question is, should I consider canon knock off flashes? I want to use ettl and I want all the flashes to play nice together. I've heard many good things about the knock offs, but I don't want to have any comparability issues. I also don't want to lose the ability to control my flashes from the back of the camera (especially when they're zipped up in a softbox).

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
http://www.lightingrumours.com/yongnuo-speedlite-yn568ex-for-canon-hands-on-review-3327#.Us33rPRDt8E This guy seems to say he was using a YN568 and the yongnuo wireless ettl controllers to control a group of canon and yongnuo flashes together and it worked fine though the grouped indicator LEDs were wonky.

I don't have any of their ETTL stuff, but I've beat the crap out of three YN-560s for a couple years and they're still going strong.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Hmm the one in that article is about $180 on Amazon. I'm not saving too much over a 430ex ii, especially if I go used. I might look into getting some cheaper ones for fills/backgrounds/ what not.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
If I was looking for something that would facilitate a detached flash syncing with me clicking the shutter button in the Canon Utility software, would this cover it, or would I want something different?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Yongnuo is supposed to be releasing a clone of the Canon 600ex-rt pretty soon. Should be pretty awesome and likely half of what Canon's costs.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

That would be cool. Right now it's so not worth the money, especially considering you have to buy that stupid $300 trigger for the camera. You'd think it'd be built in the cameras by now.

I'm kinda getting tired of the Canon "deliver less, charge $1000 more" business model they have now. Today I thought about defecting to Sony with their new full frame A7 cameras since they're actually doing innovative things. That idea got killed when I looked the current/up coming lens lineup.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

We've been saying this for ages but Canon really need to up their game soon. Sigma have been totally embarrassing them on the lens front and Nikon's full frames seem to have the edge at the moment.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

We've been saying this for ages but Canon really need to up their game soon. Sigma have been totally embarrassing them on the lens front and Nikon's full frames seem to have the edge at the moment.

Not to mention the embarassing mirrorless system.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah I've got 0 faith that they're gonna make a camera to wow me anymore. And if they do, it will cost $4000.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
After a two weeks with my new 6D, initial impressions are pretty positive.

* The image quality is outstanding - coming from a 7D and 5D2, it's quite a jump. I'll happily smash out frames at 6400.
* Frame rate is enough for me. I loved 8fps, but I don't really need it
* AF is quick and accurate, but I only ever use centre point anyway. It really will focus in moonlight
* Wireless is simple and works well, but it's kinda useless. If you are in the studio, you might as well use a cord. If you are out and about, you might as well use a corded remote and save your batteries. Still, it's pretty cool.
* GPS works. I guess it would be good on holiday or something.
* It's surprisingly quiet. I dunno, the shutter sound isn't what I expected, in a good way.
* god drat I love a locking mode dial

The biggest complaint I really have is that it's needlessly crippled. Like, why the hell can't you assign two functions to the top button (one controlled with the top wheel, one with the back wheel)? There is zero cost involved, it's just product differentiation. So now FEC is buried in a menu somewhere.

Same goes for the in camera HDR/multiexposure. There is no need for these to be jpeg only. If I ever used either, it would be annoying.

Overall, the controls are kind of rear end compared to the 7D. I miss the joystick. The little directional controller nestled in the back control ring is fussy as hell to use. Same goes for the playback mode losing the magnifying glass.

There is no PC terminal, which means sticking a stupid thing in the hotshoe so Canon could save like a dollar. I'm not asking for built in radio master or anything.

The SD card keeps flying out when I press it. Eventually, one is going in the ocean or off a building.

---------

Overall, it's a really nice piece of equipment, with a few irritations. But for the price, it's hard to go past it.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

BrosephofArimathea posted:

After a two weeks with my new 6D, initial impressions are pretty positive.

* The image quality is outstanding - coming from a 7D and 5D2, it's quite a jump. I'll happily smash out frames at 6400.
* Frame rate is enough for me. I loved 8fps, but I don't really need it
* AF is quick and accurate, but I only ever use centre point anyway. It really will focus in moonlight
* Wireless is simple and works well, but it's kinda useless. If you are in the studio, you might as well use a cord. If you are out and about, you might as well use a corded remote and save your batteries. Still, it's pretty cool.
* GPS works. I guess it would be good on holiday or something.
* It's surprisingly quiet. I dunno, the shutter sound isn't what I expected, in a good way.
* god drat I love a locking mode dial

The biggest complaint I really have is that it's needlessly crippled. Like, why the hell can't you assign two functions to the top button (one controlled with the top wheel, one with the back wheel)? There is zero cost involved, it's just product differentiation. So now FEC is buried in a menu somewhere.

Same goes for the in camera HDR/multiexposure. There is no need for these to be jpeg only. If I ever used either, it would be annoying.

Overall, the controls are kind of rear end compared to the 7D. I miss the joystick. The little directional controller nestled in the back control ring is fussy as hell to use. Same goes for the playback mode losing the magnifying glass.

There is no PC terminal, which means sticking a stupid thing in the hotshoe so Canon could save like a dollar. I'm not asking for built in radio master or anything.

The SD card keeps flying out when I press it. Eventually, one is going in the ocean or off a building.

---------

Overall, it's a really nice piece of equipment, with a few irritations. But for the price, it's hard to go past it.

Can't you set fec to the 'set' button? I can on my 70d , and it doesn't do anything else anyway

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

timrenzi574 posted:

Can't you set fec to the 'set' button? I can on my 70d , and it doesn't do anything else anyway

Yeah - but then I lose it as a raw+jpeg/IQ, which you can't assign to anything else. It's just a dumb design decision.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

BrosephofArimathea posted:

Yeah - but then I lose it as a raw+jpeg/IQ, which you can't assign to anything else. It's just a dumb design decision.

Ah, yeah I guess if you use that a lot it would be annoying. ETTL2s 'reliability' made fec the must for me

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Haggins posted:

That would be cool. Right now it's so not worth the money, especially considering you have to buy that stupid $300 trigger for the camera. You'd think it'd be built in the cameras by now.

Yongnuo has a trigger for it that's already out and costs ~$150 iirc. The one bummer about the new flash is that it doesn't work with their YN622 triggers for some dumb reason. Those triggers are badass. But yeah, there is literally no reason whatsoever for every camera released from here on out to not have a wireless flash controller built in. It would add almost nothing to the cost and would be a huge advantage. Plus, more non-pros would be interested in buying flashes if you didn't have to get a bunch of wonky middleware to make it work. If they can build wifi into a body they can build in a radio trigger, too.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

timrenzi574 posted:

Weird, this sounds like a great idea and it doesn't seem to be an option on the 5D3. Anyone know a way, or if it has been added in the latest firmware?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

bisticles posted:

Weird, this sounds like a great idea and it doesn't seem to be an option on the 5D3. Anyone know a way, or if it has been added in the latest firmware?

On the 70d there's a cf that let's you customize just about every button, it has a n icon list for each one and let's you change each one. Not sure if the 5d3 is the same.

Edit: it is, check page 321 of the manual

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 10, 2014