Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Atma McCuddles posted:

I like when they tried to poison a steel-type.

A Steel type behind a substitute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

The Leper Colon V posted:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-75710465

And this is why you don't let your Deoxys-D be set-up bait. :allears:

Deoxys-D is actually UU right now because it doesn't do well against a lot of things.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/vgc2014-75711559

Apparently the guy I beat earlier today is still mad. So mad that he watched one of my games and dropped heavy sarcasm throughout the whole thing. All because I beat his team with stuff he didn't expect.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wonder if Magician Klefki is workable. Is it even available in game yet?

I can't think of anything magician would do for Kelfki. I mean its a fun ability but Klefki's basically pure support. He can't benefit from a lot of items, and not having prankster makes his ability to support the team much weaker.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

The Leper Colon V posted:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-75710465

And this is why you don't let your Deoxys-D be set-up bait. :allears:

That Magnezone just laid on a comfy bed of spikes, subsitute dolly by his side as he absentmindedly just broke everything thrown at him.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Absolutely none of that addresses my original point of there being no good reason to give pokemon garbage stas right from the start.

The Pokemon with garbage stats can still absolutely be useful in an in-game playthrough, the main point of the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Pokemon with garbage stats can still absolutely be useful in an in-game playthrough, the main point of the game.

We were talking about competitively. Gamefreak obviously supports the competitive scene and have it in mind when designing lots of pokemon. There's no reason to give something low stats just because it can function ingame. Its not like it having lovely stats lets it fill some role ingame that it otherwise couldn't with good ones.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

The Protoss Scout, a unit with garbage stats, can still absolutely be useful in an in-game playthrough, the main point of the game.

It has nothing to do with the idea of why kricketune or sunflora doesn't just get a higher BST so it can see some usage. Contrast it to Pinsir who at least had the stats to do things.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Bogart posted:

Can Focus Energy be Baton Passed?

Yes. FYI, this info is on both Smogon and Bulbapedia.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

New UU is really fun.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-75717639

I make some bad predictions at the start, but I pull through near the end (I thought the Slwobro was going to be a Calm Mind booster). I'm really liking Barbaracle though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Been breeding for good Froslass's So I've got like 5 Female Moody Snorunts with 31 IV in HP/Def/SpD/Spe and 1 with HP/SpA/SpD/Spe all with Spikes bred onto them. Does anyone want these spares before I toss them up on WT like the rest?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 7, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

We were talking about competitively. Gamefreak obviously supports the competitive scene and have it in mind when designing lots of pokemon. There's no reason to give something low stats just because it can function ingame. Its not like it having lovely stats lets it fill some role ingame that it otherwise couldn't with good ones.

Gamefreak absolutely has the competitive scene in mind when designing lots of Pokemon, but it obviously doesn't have it in mind when designing all of them, otherwise there wouldn't be any pure Poison-type or Ice-type Pokemon, because goddamn those are some lovely typings. Plus let's not forget the existence of Delibird. Also, although they're clearly at least trying to rehabilitate some old Pokemon with new abilities and moves and sometimes Mega Evos, they don't always know exactly what will or won't be useful - there's tons of Pokemon with abilities or whatever that scream "this seems kind of cool and has potential but probably isn't actually usable".

For example, Beedrill got Sniper in Gen5, and between Gen4 move tutors and Gen5 move tutors it gets two (non-STAB, of course) moves with increased crit rate in addition to having Focus Energy. Is it good? Probably not, but if you really really like Beedrill it sounds almost usable as long as you don't run into anything with the speed or priority needed to punch through the relatively slow bug's paper defenses. Maybe you could give it some support in Doubles or something? Similarly, maybe Kricketune could get something out of Technician-boosted Fell Stinger or Power-Up Punch? Probably not, but Doubles support can make a lot more things viable. Of course, you could use that support on keeping an actually good Pokemon alive instead, but that's the price you pay using one of the Pokemon that wasn't specifically designed to be a competitive shitwrecker.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
For mixed attackers (specifically Salamence and Lucario) is there ever any justification of going with a neutral nature? It just seems like nerfing one of your defenses seems like a bad idea.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Some people get really upset over Challenge Cup: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/challengecup-75725066

Maybe he would do better if he didn't constantly and predictably switch.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Been breeding for good Froslass's So I've got like 5 Female Moody Snorunts with 31 IV in HP/Def/SpD/Spe and 1 with HP/SpA/SpD/Spe all with Spikes bred onto them. Does anyone want these spares before I toss them up on WT like the rest?

I want 2 of them. How does random things from the 4-5IV box I was about to wonder trade sound?

IGN: Locke
FC: 3883-6057-2559

edit:thanks

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 7, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

L0cke17 posted:

I want 2 of them. How does random things from the 4-5IV box I was about to wonder trade sound?

IGN: Locke
FC: 3883-6057-2559

Sure that sounds fine.

FC:0989 2944 5596
IGN: Clue. I'm online right now

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

pik_d posted:

For mixed attackers (specifically Salamence and Lucario) is there ever any justification of going with a neutral nature? It just seems like nerfing one of your defenses seems like a bad idea.

No. Mixed Sweepers generally go for a defense reducing nature based on what's likely to check them. For example, Lucario is more likely to be checked by physical attacks aside from another special lucario's vacuum wave so you reduce his special defense.

Losing 10% speed or 10% into an attacking stat is too much to justify not losing a bit in defense.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

I'd be interested in one. Got some 5IV mawiles lying around if you want one in return. 4768 7629 8819 IGN Joshua

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

^^^^ Got anything else? I literally just got done Leveling my 5 IV mawile. I mean if you don't you can still have one I'm just wondering what else you've got

L0cke17 posted:

edit:thanks

No problem. Now I've just got to get a decent Water 3 male. Thought I had a 5 IV Crawdaunt waiting but turns out She's a lady so that doesn't help much!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Main Paineframe posted:

Gamefreak absolutely has the competitive scene in mind when designing lots of Pokemon, but it obviously doesn't have it in mind when designing all of them, otherwise there wouldn't be any pure Poison-type or Ice-type Pokemon, because goddamn those are some lovely typings. Plus let's not forget the existence of Delibird. Also, although they're clearly at least trying to rehabilitate some old Pokemon with new abilities and moves and sometimes Mega Evos, they don't always know exactly what will or won't be useful - there's tons of Pokemon with abilities or whatever that scream "this seems kind of cool and has potential but probably isn't actually usable".

For example, Beedrill got Sniper in Gen5, and between Gen4 move tutors and Gen5 move tutors it gets two (non-STAB, of course) moves with increased crit rate in addition to having Focus Energy. Is it good? Probably not, but if you really really like Beedrill it sounds almost usable as long as you don't run into anything with the speed or priority needed to punch through the relatively slow bug's paper defenses. Maybe you could give it some support in Doubles or something? Similarly, maybe Kricketune could get something out of Technician-boosted Fell Stinger or Power-Up Punch? Probably not, but Doubles support can make a lot more things viable. Of course, you could use that support on keeping an actually good Pokemon alive instead, but that's the price you pay using one of the Pokemon that wasn't specifically designed to be a competitive shitwrecker.

You're really good at saying a whole lot of nothing.

Since you seem to keep forgetting, my original point was there's no reason for Gamefreak to keep giving a bunch of pokemon poo poo stats. You have yet to provide any explanation as to why they should. Yes they've done some things that have made pokemon that were otherwise ignored useful, but that doesn't change the fact that they are still adding pokemon that are crippled from the word go simply because their stats are atrocious. Not everything needs to be a 600 stat beast but I don't see any reason for sub 400 stat pokemon to still be added.

Your Beedrill example is trash though because its still crippled by its stats. It doesn't matter what you try to do with Beedrill; its a 75 speed pokemon with paper defenses. It can't outspeed a ton of stuff, it can't take a hit, and even when it lands a hit of its own it doesn't have any sting to it. Its inherently crippled by the stats it carries and you can't do anything about it. You shouldn't have to pay a price for not using a pokemon designed entirely for comp because there's no good reason for these pokemon to have such atrocious stats. It doesn't improve the game in ANY way and just dissuades people from using pokemon they might like.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

^^^^ Got anything else? I literally just got done Leveling my 5 IV mawile. I mean if you don't you can still have one I'm just wondering what else you've got

That's the only breeding project I've done yet this generation. I've probably got something decent amongst the stuff I've gotten from wondertrade, but I'm not sure.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Blhue posted:

That's the only breeding project I've done yet this generation. I've probably got something decent amongst the stuff I've gotten from wondertrade, but I'm not sure.

Dude! Thanks for the Feebas!

EDIT: Down to 2 Snorunts left. One HP/Def/SpD/Spe and one HP/SpA/SpD/Spe

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yep. Had to browse a bit for something not garbage in my unsorted wondertrade boxes.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wonder if Magician Klefki is workable. Is it even available in game yet?

You know how Michael Jordan quit basketball to play baseball? (as chronicled in the 1996 biopic Space Jam) Well magician Klefki is kind of like that.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

You know how Michael Jordan quit basketball to play baseball? (as chronicled in the 1996 biopic Space Jam) Well magician Klefki is kind of like that.

:golfclap:

My only close comparison was chlorophyll whimsicott or defiant Thundurus-I :blush:.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Since you seem to keep forgetting, my original point was there's no reason for Gamefreak to keep giving a bunch of pokemon poo poo stats. You have yet to provide any explanation as to why they should. Yes they've done some things that have made pokemon that were otherwise ignored useful, but that doesn't change the fact that they are still adding pokemon that are crippled from the word go simply because their stats are atrocious. Not everything needs to be a 600 stat beast but I don't see any reason for sub 400 stat pokemon to still be added.

Your Beedrill example is trash though because its still crippled by its stats. It doesn't matter what you try to do with Beedrill; its a 75 speed pokemon with paper defenses. It can't outspeed a ton of stuff, it can't take a hit, and even when it lands a hit of its own it doesn't have any sting to it. Its inherently crippled by the stats it carries and you can't do anything about it. You shouldn't have to pay a price for not using a pokemon designed entirely for comp because there's no good reason for these pokemon to have such atrocious stats. It doesn't improve the game in ANY way and just dissuades people from using pokemon they might like.

If they're going to make good pokemon why shouldn't they make poo poo ones too? For every player gaming stats and move sets there's gotta be someone that plays just because they enjoy collecting cute things.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

There is no actual reason for having Pokemon with low stats, but that just adds more variety, there will always be crappy joke Pokemon, or early game stuff that outlives its usefulness mid-game, encouraging you to swap it for something else. That's how things are in a lot of games, there's good stuff and there's bad stuff.

Beedrill especially has low stats because you can get it a level 10. It teaches the player about evolution, that things get stronger. Something you can upgrade in future and since you get it so earlier, it's definitely not gonna have high stats, it'd make the early game trivial, so they make it weak so it fits in a difficulty curve. If you want, sure, you can go through the game with Fire Spell Lv1, but you're gonna switch to Lv2 or Lv3 eventually when you get them, but if you really try, then Lv1 will be just fine. Maybe.

And Gamefreak just make weird decisions in general, how they make a Pokemon and distribute its stats is somewhat baffling and they'll make bad Pokemon because there can be.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Slightly Toasted posted:

If they're going to make good pokemon why shouldn't they make poo poo ones too? For every player gaming stats and move sets there's gotta be someone that plays just because they enjoy collecting cute things.

I mean, maybe I'm weird, but I don't see why something that's cute has to be bad.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Countblanc posted:

I mean, maybe I'm weird, but I don't see why something that's cute has to be bad.

Not all the cute ones are bad though.

Zoness posted:

No. Mixed Sweepers generally go for a defense reducing nature based on what's likely to check them. For example, Lucario is more likely to be checked by physical attacks aside from another special lucario's vacuum wave so you reduce his special defense.

Losing 10% speed or 10% into an attacking stat is too much to justify not losing a bit in defense.

Thanks, just feels a little like potentially shooting myself in the foot. With Salamence You see Naive with reduces special defense, but with fairy moves being mostly special, that may not be as simple a choice anymore.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Ice still being poo poo is baffling to me since there's so many things that do glass cannon far better now.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Crosspeice posted:

There is no actual reason for having Pokemon with low stats, but that just adds more variety, there will always be crappy joke Pokemon, or early game stuff that outlives its usefulness mid-game, encouraging you to swap it for something else.

You can't justify Magcargo being so bad. You can't.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

pik_d posted:

Thanks, just feels a little like potentially shooting myself in the foot. With Salamence You see Naive with reduces special defense, but with fairy moves being mostly special, that may not be as simple a choice anymore.

You can (should) switch out against fairies if you don't ohko/outspeed them and there are no priority fairy moves.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Countblanc posted:

I don't think there is any correlation whatsoever between how cute something is and how good it is. I just think it's funny how somebody trying to make the argument against game freak making poo poo pokemon wouldn't be much different from someone trying to say they shouldn't make ugly pokemon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Slightly Toasted posted:

Why do you think All Pokemon Being Usuable/Viable can't coexist with just enjoying collecting cute things? For people who only care about Collecting Cute things stats don't matter so they don't care if the cute things are also good. Like there's not point in NOT making everything somewhat usable.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Slightly Toasted posted:

I don't think there is any correlation whatsoever between how cute something is and how good it is. I just think it's funny how somebody trying to make the argument against game freak making poo poo pokemon wouldn't be much different from someone trying to say they shouldn't make ugly pokemon.

Beauty is subjective while battle viability can be objectively extrapolated from usage data.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zoness posted:

Beauty is subjective while battle viability can be objectively extrapolated from usage data.

Also objectively extrapolated by just running the stats/movepool. Like there are a lot of pokemon that COULD be good if they just gave them moves to actually use.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I think the answer is simple: a lot of stuff stays handicapped because it plays into the themes literally every game promotes. When I battle someone online, and see they've caught under 100 Pokemon and evolved 22 times, I just roll my eyes. Yes you can look up ahead of time which ones are going to be absolute murder machines and ignore everything else. But taking the figurative runt of the litter, and raising it with care until it can take on the champion is fun for some people.

Game Freak's been working on this series for drat near 20 years now. I think we can safely say their creative teams are every bit as hardheaded about the 'lore' and 'message' of the games as you are about the balance aspect. It's like asking why can Golurk learn Fly and so many beam attacks? Because it's a giant robot and therefore can fly and shoot lasers. Why does Mawile get Fake Tears, an attack which is utterly useless for it? Because of the 'two-faced' theme. There are dozens more like this.

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!
Steel Monotype is still silly even with the nerf and for some reason a fire team even forfeits?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oumonotype-75739175

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Just have a mode that scales all stats to 600BST. Why yes, I'd love a 160 base speed Dugtrio and a 150 base attack Granbull.

e: 300 base HP Happiny :getin:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

_Endgame_ posted:

Steel Monotype is still silly even with the nerf and for some reason a fire team even forfeits?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oumonotype-75739175

He lost his sun lead to whatever he was trying to achieve and has no way to clear hazards. Heatran kind of checks a lot of fire types that way.

Meat Recital posted:

Just have a mode that scales all stats to 600BST. Why yes, I'd love a 160 base speed Dugtrio and a 150 base attack Granbull.

Averagemons is actually pretty funny for that. It's a Smogon format that changes everything to base 100 stats. It also has a lot of obnoxious speed ties. Huge Power and something else is banned, and I think evo stones still do the same stat changes.

Corsola with 100's across the board and regenerator is hilarious, for starters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rangpur posted:

I think the answer is simple: a lot of stuff stays handicapped because it plays into the themes literally every game promotes. When I battle someone online, and see they've caught under 100 Pokemon and evolved 22 times, I just roll my eyes. Yes you can look up ahead of time which ones are going to be absolute murder machines and ignore everything else. But taking the figurative runt of the litter, and raising it with care until it can take on the champion is fun for some people.

You could do this without pokemon having poo poo stats. Even if all these trash pokemon got huge stat buffs they still wouldn't see much use since they are overshadowed by other pokemon. In that sense they would still be underdogs. I don't see any of this as a good reason to condemn a pokemon to obscurity by butchering its stats.

I get that some pokemon are jokes but frankly the "joke" of bug types having poo poo stats has gotten old for me.

• Locked thread