Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Xenomrph posted:

I disagree. Sure it's got its share of questionable effects (the fiery dog escape), but a lot of the other stuff is still really great. The creature puppets, the aerial dogfights, the destruction of the city-destroyer at the end, I still think they look great.

I think it's telling that ID came out 13 years after Return of the Jedi and the dogfight sequences aren't close, neither in the choreography or FX. Then there's the sparkler-powered missiles and what were supposed to be fully loaded F-18s that drat near never had more than a missile or two showing, the Commodore 64 graphics on the displays... The sequence with Smith being chased in the canyon reminded me of an old arcade game that used laser discs called M.A.C.H. 3 (which coincidentally came out the same year as RotJ). The creature puppets were adequate, but compare them to stuff like the queen in Aliens, which was done more than a decade earlier and in a movie with a budget that probably wouldn't have covered ID's craft services.

Obviously were arguing something subjective, though it's difficult for me to see how you can look at ID alongside other movies and still think it looks good. But that's what opinions are for. It's one of the cheapest looking big budget movies I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Independence Day is a dumb, loud popcorn movie that's not necessarily bad, but it sums up what's expected from the audiences that go in droves to see big dumb loud popcorn movies.

I'm at least happy that Roland Emmerich is capable of better filmmaking since Anonymous and White House Down are fantastic. Of course, they bombed at the box office.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

In the end there is no "best" - the faster you realize that, the better off you'll be. You can have a favorite and that is all well and good - but the moment you say "THIS IS THE BEST EVER" you just pigeon hole yourself and end up looking like a dunce. :)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vintersorg posted:

In the end there is no "best" - the faster you realize that, the better off you'll be. You can have a favorite and that is all well and good - but the moment you say "THIS IS THE BEST EVER" you just pigeon hole yourself and end up looking like a dunce. :)
Well yeah, I kind of figured when I was saying "best" that people knew I meant "personal favorite". :v:

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

Xenomrph posted:

Well yeah, I kind of figured when I was saying "best" that people knew I meant "personal favorite". :v:

Don't worry- you were right anyway.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Xenomrph posted:

Nope, you forgot the all important forum rule that states you ABSOLUTELY MUST begin every opinion-based statement with the phrase "In my opinion". Otherwise it's assumed you are presenting an OBJECTIVE FACT and are opening yourself up to ridicule and judgement.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Fayez Butts posted:

Die Hard, Commando, The Matrix...

The Matrix was a spring release.

Also, mother loving Face/Off.

Xenomrph posted:

I had no idea people disliked Independence Day, it's seriously been my go-to summer blockbuster movie ever since it came out. It's got memorable, quotable characters, over-the-top action, huge spectacle and scope, revolutionary special effects (that still hold up well today), an awesome bombastic score, all while being just all-around fun pretty much from beginning to end. It seriously checks every "summer blockbuster" checkbox for me better than any other movie out there. There are plenty of other movies that get certain aspects better, but I feel Independence Day strikes the perfect balance in what I expect from a summer blockbuster.

Independence Day was the first movie I remember being really, really disappointed with. It's not good.

Rocco posted:

Don't worry- you were right anyway.

Yeah, Independence Day is totally better than Jurassic Park. What a piece of crap that ways! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, if you think that steaming pile is the best summer blockbuster ever made, you either haven't seen a lot of movies or you just have the worst loving taste.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Arrow's release of The Long Goodbye is okay with me:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Long-Goodbye-Blu-ray/80397/#Screenshots

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oh lord, I was just thinking the other day that I really wanted to see The Long Goodbye on Blu-Ray, and, here we are. That's a day-one buy.

e) gently caress me, it's region B locked.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Oh lord, I was just thinking the other day that I really wanted to see The Long Goodbye on Blu-Ray, and, here we are. That's a day-one buy.

e) gently caress me, it's region B locked.

There's ways of getting around region locking. Although, I would fully expect Criterion or Twilight Time (hopefully the former) to release their own edition soon. If that's what Arrow was able to put out, a US edition should be as stellar. Especially since Altman's films aren't easy to adapt to digital.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Amazon finally pricematched Best Buy

Deadwood: The Complete Series - $49.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00129AJFO?tag=evdaisafi-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B00129AJFO&adid=0ETW230VAGT2M3DXSDCR

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm going to rant about something I really wish studios would stop doing: wasting disc space.

I checked out the 2nd Looney Tunes Blu-Ray from Warner. Beautiful work, but only including 50 cartoons is bullshit. The two BD-50 discs only have 30 GB of content each. The third disc only has 20 GB on a BD-25. Not only could they have moved the entire contents of the third disc to the first two discs, an entire disc could have been devoted to another 25 cartoons. 350 cartoons ended up being released in the DVD sets and at least another 100 have HD masters that were used for a few single disc editions. 1.33:1 content, especially well mastered animation, allows for around 4 hours per BD-50 without quality loss. In fact, some accounts indicate that 5 hours wouldn't make much difference either.

Now let's look at Criterion's 3-disc Stan Brakhage collection. Three BD-25s each with 45 GB of content. Almost 12 hours of films plus supplements. Half of that was from HD masters created years earlier for the first DVD volume.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Holy cow. That's worth it even if you've never seen the show (which everyone should).

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

X-Men Trilogy down to $12.99 on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Trilogy-X2-United-Blu-ray/dp/B001PPGAKS/ref=pd_luc_sim_02_02_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

It's literally cost me $6 to ship this to Australia, where the boxset currently languishes in the cheapest retail store at a nice $139 on sale. Thank you so drat much.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Does anyone know what the message saying there's a newer version is about? Is there a reason to go with the new one instead of the old one?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ClydeUmney posted:

Does anyone know what the message saying there's a newer version is about? Is there a reason to go with the new one instead of the old one?

I have no idea how true this is but it's possible, I guess

some idiot from amazon's message board posted:

The older version from November of 2010 is in a case called a DigiBook. There have been numerous complaints about the difficulty of handling the discs in this version, and the newer version from October of 2013 is likely a version with simpler or more traditional packaging instead.

some idiot from blu-ray.com's forum posted:

Perhaps different packaging?? When I was at Best Buy, I notice that "Rome: The Complete Series" has a new packaging; two elite cases in a slip case as a opposed to the book packaging. Maybe they did the same to Deadwood.

another one posted:

I have the earlier one ($49) and it is a multi-page book, its probably the best packaging of any film I own. A+++. Much different than the other digibooks I have (1-2 pages). This is like 10+ pages, and glossy finish. gorgeous.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 3, 2014

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Call Me Charlie posted:

I have no idea how true this is but it's possible, I guess

Thanks - that helps. I appreciate it!

Edit: Apparently it's back to regular price. :sigh: The "newer" version isn't that bad at $65, though.

ClydeUmney fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 3, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ClydeUmney posted:

Thanks - that helps. I appreciate it!

Edit: Apparently it's back to regular price. :sigh: The "newer" version isn't that bad at $65, though.

Still available under 'More Buying Choices' - just takes 10-11 days to ship

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

What a piece of crap [Jurassic Park] was! :rolleyes:
You realize no one's been saying that (and that I even said exactly the opposite) right?

CPL593H posted:

Seriously though, if you think that steaming pile is the best summer blockbuster ever made, you either haven't seen a lot of movies or you just have the worst loving taste.
Wrong on both counts, but whatever you say, slick. :cheers:
Seriously though, if you're going to get "seriously" upset that someone on the internet likes a movie you don't, you should probably re-evaluate your priorities. We're all friends here, right? This isn't the IMDb.com forums, we're better than that.

On the topic of bluray players, I assume not all players are created equal, right? Do better ones deliver better picture/sound quality? I have a kind of cheap-o Insignia brand player a few years ago that often has issues reading discs (and I can audibly hear it spinning the discs pretty much constantly, it's kind of distracting) so I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to a better player. If a better player = better presentation, then that pretty much makes it a no-brainer for me.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I doubt it matters as much as it did in the DVD days. With DVDs you needed a good player that could upscale from DVD's 480p content to your 720p/1080p TV without looking like crap. I remember buying a really nice Oppo DVD player and being shocked at how much better it was than crappy DVD players. With blu-ray though the content is already at 1080p so the player doesn't need to do any scaling. There's no digital to analog conversion either since the output is HDMI straight to the TV, so really a blu-ray player doesn't need to do much. You're just paying for features like built in wifi, smart TV/netflix, etc. with the more expensive players these days. In my experience cheap blu-ray players even do great DVD upscaling these days too.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Alien Anthology is down to $18.99 on Amazon. About $8 cheaper than importing it from the UK

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AQO3QA?tag=evdaisafi-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B001AQO3QA&adid=0DJE40GHF1VK20A65CM3

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I imported Prince Sign 'O' The Times from Australia and it's a pretty good release. Barebones but it looks better than the DVD and has loseless audio.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I imagine this is it for the crazy daily deals. Decent run.

:siren: Robocop: Remastered in 4K preorder - $13.34 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GST8UB8...NC1749JQNRDEAD7 :siren:

This is down to $7.99

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just heard this:

quote:

Tom Arnold confirms to TheArnoldFans that he and the rest of the cast all shot a new documentary for the True Lies 20th Anniversary Special Edition Blu-ray (2014)!

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Is it bad that I just assumed "TheArnoldFans" was a Tom Arnold fansite, and not an Arnold Schwarzenegger fansite?

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Jay Dub posted:

Is it bad that I just assumed "TheArnoldFans" was a Tom Arnold fansite, and not an Arnold Schwarzenegger fansite?
I did it, too…

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Vintersorg posted:

Just heard this:

I wonder if Abyss will be coming out around the same time. James Cameron always talked about those two whenever it came up in interviews.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just a heads up... Jodorowsky's El topo and The Holy Mountain are apparently going OOP.

Like an idiot, I just sold my DVD set for $20.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I want to get a cheap Blu of Die Hard, but the only one listed on Amazon looks like it was produced in 1997. Is this just a weird product image, or are there multiple releases out there?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Just a heads up... Jodorowsky's El topo and The Holy Mountain are apparently going OOP.

Ha, Holy Mountain is already sold out everywhere and listed for $80+

I'll have to see if I can find a copy locally.

monstertruckdriver
Jul 23, 2006
give em another 3% and make em water
Regarding cheapness of blu-ray players: is loading speed something that varies by the price of the player? As an example my Prometheus blu-ray takes what feels like a solid couple of minutes to fully load up. Would it be faster if I had shelled out more money for a player? Something else I've always wondered: does the ability to skip previews or go straight to the menu depend on the player, or is that something hard-coded to the disc?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Friedkin's Sorcerer - April 22

Not much on the content, but it's a new 4K restoration from the camera negative, sound restored from the 4-track magnetic masters, and will be a digibook.

Also, MGM is releasing In the Heat of the Night and A Chorus Line next Tuesday, Jan. 14th.

Also, Also, Warner is working on a 30th anniversary Gremlins probably for the end of the year.

morestuff posted:

I want to get a cheap Blu of Die Hard, but the only one listed on Amazon looks like it was produced in 1997. Is this just a weird product image, or are there multiple releases out there?

Mine has the same cover. No idea why they wouldn't want to use the iconic poster image as the cover artwork.

Great Blu-Ray, though the menu system is awful.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 8, 2014

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

morestuff posted:

No, that's the only release aside from the Die Hard Trilogy 4 Movie pack that's out there. But it's the same transfer. It's pretty good. It's just bad packaging from the early days of Blu-ray.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Man, I feel like a dunce. I bought the DVD set of Planet of the Apes, then I bought the BD set because it was only $25. I've had it for over a year and only now do I find out that the BD set also included the uncut original edit of Conquest with the downer ending.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
According to Screem magazine (issue #27), Shout! Factory got the rights to "many" Herzog films and we could expect to see Blu-Rays of: Aguirre, Nosferatu and Fitzcarraldo sometime this year. It's about time!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Starscream posted:

According to Screem magazine (issue #27), Shout! Factory got the rights to "many" Herzog films and we could expect to see Blu-Rays of: Aguirre, Nosferatu and Fitzcarraldo sometime this year. It's about time!

Fantastic! I wonder if they can include Burden of Dreams (the documentary on the making of Fitzcarraldo) with the Fitzcarraldo release.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

mod sassinator posted:

Fantastic! I wonder if they can include Burden of Dreams (the documentary on the making of Fitzcarraldo) with the Fitzcarraldo release.

Criterion has the rights to that one. (it's up in HD on Hulu Plus if you've been wanting to watch it)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Egbert Souse posted:

Mine has the same cover. No idea why they wouldn't want to use the iconic poster image as the cover artwork.

Great Blu-Ray, though the menu system is awful.

Cemetry Gator posted:

No, that's the only release aside from the Die Hard Trilogy 4 Movie pack that's out there. But it's the same transfer. It's pretty good. It's just bad packaging from the early days of Blu-ray.

Ordered. Thanks.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Egbert Souse posted:

Holy poo poo, I think I just managed to nab Amazon's last copy of El Topo.

Better make sure to order a copy of Santa Sangre, just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

Holy poo poo, I think I just managed to nab Amazon's last copy of El Topo.

Better make sure to order a copy of Santa Sangre, just in case.

That's from a different company, so it's probably not going out of print.

• Locked thread