Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

a milk crime posted:

dang y'all tellin me that me getting a tat of "Keeping It 300 Like The Romans" is not actually a good idea?? heckkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

I have "I Know the Government Administered Aids" tattoo'd along one arm, so at this point I'm getting that line on the other just for symmetry's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Xguard86 posted:

That article posted earlier is right, people seem to just drop Kanye in the "talentless idiot" box because he is loud.

I mean, just compare it to his other videos, dude clearly knows how to execute on an idea.

Anybody who thinks the Bound 2 video was the result of Yeezy's incompetence needs to watch the 30 minute movie he made for MBDTF.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Anybody who thinks the Bound 2 video was the result of Yeezy's incompetence needs to watch the 30 minute movie he made for MBDTF.

I'm confused. Could someone explain briefly the controversy? Is it just that it looks cheesy or something? I figured the controversy was just the parody that was made of it. Granted I just got acquainted with Yeezus a little over a week ago so I kind of live under a rock in this department.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

crankdatbatman posted:

I'm confused. Could someone explain briefly the controversy? Is it just that it looks cheesy or something? I figured the controversy was just the parody that was made of it. Granted I just got acquainted with Yeezus a little over a week ago so I kind of live under a rock in this department.
In an unexpected move, Kanye West made a cheesy Americana music video. Unsure if the African American man has poor taste or being satirical, white people criticize and condemn him before he makes further statements.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

crankdatbatman posted:

It turns out that a disturbing number of people (not on this forum or anything) LOVE to hang onto the idea that Kanye is a big stupid idiot who shouldn't be respected as an artist because he's loud, or because he says dumb poo poo in public, or because he's a rapper, or because he's black and they're using the Bound 2 video as "proof."

Like, I'm quite sure that if a white artist had made that video and tour merch people would've immediately been like, "oh, it's on purpose" and nobody would've batted an eyelash.

Edit: kind of beaten

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Kanye taking Pitchforks #2 album of the year was not really surprising. But I was blown away by how many of the writers and editors had Yeezus or a song from it on there personal top lists. Saying critics like this album might be an understatement.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Unknownmass posted:

Kanye taking Pitchforks #2 album of the year was not really surprising. But I was blown away by how many of the writers and editors had Yeezus or a song from it on there personal top lists. Saying critics like this album might be an understatement.

Blood On the Leaves is pretty loving good though.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Unknownmass posted:

Noz (who's like one of two rap writer/critics I actually pay attention to) actually put "New Slaves" as his #1 song of the year. Kanye always gets huge critical acclaim. I think the only artist pitchfork gives as high ratings is Radiohead (which depending on how long you've followed them is humorous in itself).

Kanye's music is undoubtedly good (and I think my discussions about it have shown I honestly think that), but I will say that I think a lot of the critical acclaim about his music comes from how easy it is to discuss "critically". A lot of other rap stuff it's much harder to write the same type of narratives about due to the subject matter being somewhat risky (i.e. you talk about more "gangsta" stuff you risk looking like a cultural tourist, paternalistic, racist, etc depending on how you phrase your discussion) or just not having much there of substance (Jay-Z sells a lot and is really famous, but the last music he made with any sort of depth was like Reasonable Doubt and is pretty much rap's answer to KISS). I think had Andre 3k not been so reclusive and had he kept making music, he might've gotten some of the Kanye treatment. Outkast kinda got there, but their music still always had a "street" anchor up until the split album. Drake also gets some of this treatment by default.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Mexcillent posted:

re. the "Keep it 300, like the romans" line

I'm pretty sure it's a joke. Kanye likes jokes. See also "Prince Williams" in Niggas in Paris. And other purposefully dumb poo poo throughout his entire discography.

Anyone who spends hours using it as proof that Kanye is dumb or means something deeper is missing the point, it's funny to make dumb jokes.

Personally, I've come to relate the line to Run DMC's "there's three of us but were not The Beatles" line. It was probably an initial gently caress up but it just sounded good so it was left in there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dead Snoopy posted:

Personally, I've come to relate the line to Run DMC's "there's three of us but were not The Beatles" line. It was probably an initial gently caress up but it just sounded good so it was left in there.

Haha, I always just assumed that was a joke about Ringo.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
There was a bit in their Rolling Stone cover feature years ago how at the time Run always thought there were 3 band members and didn't realize he was loving up. D knew but said nothing. When Run asked D how come he didn't correct him, D just shrugged and sheepishly offered, "well...one of them DIED."

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Detroit show last night was AMAZING. My scheme to sneak onto the floor backfired and I actually wound up in the nosebleeds until a manager gave handed me a ticket for a seat immediately behind VIP and wished me a Merry Christmas. Wound up sitting directly center stage and Kanye did not disappoint.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

^burtle posted:

I actually wound up in the nosebleeds until a manager gave handed me a ticket for a seat immediately behind VIP

This happened to me at the DC show. We went from the worst seats in the house to *not half bad* seats. It was a nice gesture by the venue/kanye/whoever made the decision.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
http://youtu.be/SdH488RRQL8

Kanye West Sings About Michael Jordan- Yeezus Tour/Chicago 12/18/2013 posted:

We should’ve never ever let Michael Jordan play for the Wizards
We should’ve never ever let Michael Jordan play for the Wizards
We should’ve never ever let MJ play for the Wizards
Why did that happen?
Why did that happen?

We couldn’t stop—we would stop—MJ playing for the Wizards
Why did that happen?

Six championships
The best years of our life
Playing through the flu
Every single night
I believed I could fly
and I wanted to be just like Mike
I believed I could fly
and I wanted to be just like Mike

Why did that happen?

Does anybody here know why that happened?

When a player
When a player wants to become an owner
When a player
When a player that’s done more for the league than the league could’ve done for him
When a player that MADE the NBA wants to become an owner of the team that he brought so much glory to, a team he brought so much story to
A team that has his statue in the front of the motherfucking building
But do you know what the owners of that team told MJ?
You’re just a player, homeboy
You can’t get no pay
You can’t own sh*t
THEY TOLD MICHAEL JORDAN THAT HE COULDN’T OWN SH*T

Now y’all know why MJ went to play for the Wizards

Because this very team wouldn’t let him be an owner
I’m talking about one of the most important people in our civilization
One of the most influential people in our civilization
They tried to marginalize
And in order to make his point he had to put on a MOTHERFUCKING WIZARDS JERSEY
To let y’all know “Oh yes I am gonna be an owner just like Magic Johnson”

We should’ve never let MJ ever play for the Wizards
Never never never never let him go
Because til I die MJ represents the Bulls

So tonight I’m about to put my 23 on
So tonight I gotta put my 23 ont.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Barbershop poo poo talk writ large

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

WOW - I actually lived in Chicago when MJ was winning like crazy and then when I moved to DC I joked that MJ was following me around because he switched to the Wizards like the year after I moved. Too bad about what happened. God drat Kanye owns so hard.

edit: :lol: around 8:00 he's like "this is the city that raises champions" and you can hear some woman saying "well it can't raise my drat kids im just sayin"

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 21, 2013

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Wachepti posted:

This happened to me at the DC show. We went from the worst seats in the house to *not half bad* seats. It was a nice gesture by the venue/kanye/whoever made the decision.

I almost wanted to hug the guy but didn't want to miss the show.

I knew he was doing talks during the set but I wasn't prepared for 25 minutes about how Nike wouldn't sell his shoes cause they were afraid of creating a brand to rival Jordans and how he wants to open up clothing store chains.

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
I was at that Chicago show. I just kind of tuned out during his rant. My friend told me he went on for much longer the night before.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
Saw the KC show 2.5 weeks ago and am missing the experience. Any chance he puts out a concert film?

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
I saw guys heaving around big shoulder mounted cameras at the base of the stage during the KC show so I imagine it's a possibility.

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
e: nvm i dont want to see yeezus tour videos ever again

conventionalcat fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 25, 2013

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Kanye West vows not to 'talk poo poo' for six months

Hopefully that means the European tour starts in 6 months. Would make sense, as I could see him doing a lot of big European festivals next summer.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW
Just an FYI - if you're an android user Yeezus is free on Play right now.

Gladstone
Dec 13, 2010
Apparently this is a thing:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/12/kanye-west-is-the-subject-of-a-new-academic-text-book/

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9295-2013-readers-poll-results/

P4K's reader's poll results for the year sums up Yeezus as an album really well.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

It never ceases to amaze me what academics manage to get published. Someone better be writing about Beyonce.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
That entire article is discredited by trying to pass off the idea that anyone thought the last MGMT album was underrated. There is no rating that is below that piece of poo poo.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
it was pretty good.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
ye's photoshop guy's http://off---white.com and http://beentrill.com sites recently got updates. click if you are into expensive clothes

edit: a yeezus throwaway https://soundcloud.com/tutankhamunbrothers/kanye-west-awesome-mr-troublesome-live-version for those who havent heard it. he has only performed it 2/3 times (2 confirmed at met ball show and adult swim upfront). a "finished" version exists

atrus50 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 2, 2014

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That entire article is discredited by trying to pass off the idea that anyone thought the last MGMT album was underrated. There is no rating that is below that piece of poo poo.

I liked that album :colbert:

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Its their best album so far.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Wow, indiefucks really really like Yeezus, and also think it's overrated apparently.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I remember seeing a music video on Kanye's website last year. It was kinda like claymation and they were driving in a car. What song was this does anyone know what I'm talking about?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I remember seeing a music video on Kanye's website last year. It was kinda like claymation and they were driving in a car. What song was this does anyone know what I'm talking about?

The Black Skinhead one has that weird CGI, I suppose

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Bill Plympton's video for Heard Em Say. Plympton is an auteur animator who works frame by frame, so it has a unique feel to it.

Lipids
Sep 10, 2006
I live in the NYC area and heard on the Radio that there is going to be an extended 9 day Yeezus tour. One night at the Prudential Center. I missed him last time which is something I regret after hearing how awesome the show was. This time I'm going no matter what.

Here is a link I found about it:
http://globalgrind.com/2014/01/07/kanye-west-yeezus-2014-tour-dates-details

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

He just couldn't stop himself.... http://www.nme.com/news/kanye-west/74610 :lol:

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
Glad he is coming to Montreal … again … wait … will he have to cancel again? :(

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

So he'll cut the 30 minute rants from the shows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
He'll add an extra 15 mins of rants in French

• Locked thread