Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sophia posted:

While what you quotes was obviously meant as a burn on "limited thinkers" or whatever (due to the whine and moan part) it's also not untrue that there are a lot of people who just don't like material that deals with that subject matter and I think you might be one of those people.

Nah, I like plenty of things that deal with the subject matter of privileged white people. I just don't think Girls or OitNB are any good at dealing with that subject matter. And I think it's possible to accept it as my opinion that they're not good shows because they're not good at what they're trying to do rather than me disliking anything which tries to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'm put off by OitNB because half the cast are one dimensional cartoon characters.

Girls is good but it's not the most rewarding to watch. It seems like a dramedy that's light on both drama and comedy.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Mindy is dating Dennis Reynolds on The Mindy Project. As soon as I saw this, my first thought was "Mindy, RUN!"

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Yoshifan823 posted:

Mindy is dating Dennis Reynolds on The Mindy Project. As soon as I saw this, my first thought was "Mindy, RUN!"

Mindy is somehow crazier than Dennis on the show.
Also, great to see someone else watching Mindy!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I don't like Orange is the New Black or Girls because I don't think either one of them tells me or shows me something I haven't seen a thousand times before. Orange is the New Black is my definition of a TV Meal show, bland, boring and forgettable.

Girls on the other hand I don't watch because despite giving it the entire first season and several episodes of the second the show didn't give me a single reason to be interested in any of the characters, in fact it seemed to be pushing me to actively dislike them.

Maybe that means I don't like shows about white privilege or some poo poo but I'm going to just be happy to not watch shows I don't want to watch.

Another example; The Mindy Show. I don't get the appeal of that style of comedy or the lead actress.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Postal Parcel posted:

Mindy is somehow crazier than Dennis on the show.
Also, great to see someone else watching Mindy!

It's honestly gotten so much better, but I still wouldn't call it a good show. It's riding on the strengths of a few cast members and now it seems like they just upped pacing and rapid fire jokes to hide the problems of the show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

He's got a system :ohdear:

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I was excited for Mindy project because I thought she did a good job in the office, but making a pilot where she's a ditzy doctor with coworkers specifically designed as possible love interests, and half the dialogue is "woe is me" was just.. bad writing all around, and Mindy didn't show any more range. They're trying hard and a lot of the supporting cast are good comedians, but it's a bad premise I think. This dennis thing for example, why did he dump his girlfriend for mindy? They just had some stupid elevator encounters before he was enamored for no reason. He's not even a character, he's just the guy they set up for the next dating arc.

Intellegence (the show) is stupid. :(

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV
Person of Interest signal : ACTIVATE!

Was going give the show a watch, but is it only available on DVD and iTunes - I.e. No streaming services like Netflix or Amazon Prime or CBS sourced? Does CBS not usually have old seasons of their shows up on services or is PoI unique?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In other news, I just totally cried during the latest episode of Sherlock. Well loving done, Cumberbatch.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Mo0 posted:

That's because the reviews have mostly been middling. AV Club's line about how Holloway's character is only slightly faster at things than someone holding an iPhone is pretty telling about how dated the concept is.

I watched the pilot, and yeah, "middling" is a pretty accurate description. It was adequate and does a serviceable job, but nothing is all that spectacular or interesting about it. I might give it another week or two, but next week's episode will be saved for PVR watching.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't like Orange is the New Black or Girls because I don't think either one of them tells me or shows me something I haven't seen a thousand times before. Orange is the New Black is my definition of a TV Meal show, bland, boring and forgettable.

Girls on the other hand I don't watch because despite giving it the entire first season and several episodes of the second the show didn't give me a single reason to be interested in any of the characters, in fact it seemed to be pushing me to actively dislike them.

Maybe that means I don't like shows about white privilege or some poo poo but I'm going to just be happy to not watch shows I don't want to watch.

Another example; The Mindy Show. I don't get the appeal of that style of comedy or the lead actress.

Oh, I get those criticisms completely. The difference for me is just the level of comedy and supporting characters.
The entirety of Girls cast made me nauseous. They were so vapid and bland that I just couldn't take it. There's a Cracked or College Humor video about people not liking critical darlings like the aforementioned Girls or Arrested Development. I bring up that reference because the zing at Girls was "Girls is supposed to be a comedy?". Girls was soooo boring that I literally couldn't even fall asleep watching it. It's that angry kind of boring that makes you roll your eyes instead of ignoring the source.

As for Mindy, it's much lighter and the supporting cast makes up for Mindy's stand-offishness. Not to mention, I'm a fan of Mindy. When she makes jokes about her weight, it doesn't feel as forced or spiteful as other shows. Not to mention she's not above striking or getting angry at someone for calling her out.
Paraphrased poorly by me here:
"...my boyfriend has been cheating on me with a chubby Indian girl"
"Excuse me? I will kill you and go to jail! I am not chubby, I'm average American woman sized!"

I understand why people don't like either, but there's something about the charm from Mindy that is more welcoming than the ennui of Girls.

EDIT:

Fooz posted:

I was excited for Mindy project because I thought she did a good job in the office, but making a pilot where she's a ditzy doctor with coworkers specifically designed as possible love interests, and half the dialogue is "woe is me" was just.. bad writing all around, and Mindy didn't show any more range. They're trying hard and a lot of the supporting cast are good comedians, but it's a bad premise I think. This dennis thing for example, why did he dump his girlfriend for mindy? They just had some stupid elevator encounters before he was enamored for no reason. He's not even a character, he's just the guy they set up for the next dating arc.

Intellegence (the show) is stupid. :(

*Dennis broke up with the girlfriend he had before Mindy because she was a mix of neurotic and boring. He also only got together with her because the guys, Morgan and...Adam?, were sexting with him and somehow he hooked up with her instead of Mindy because of hijinks.
Also, it's not the staff that are love interests, it's all the other guys. Danny is the closest thing to a love interest for her, and Morgan is close too, but it's best to think any guest stars will be her fling of the week(FotW). That's also the criticism I completely get.

*This is from memory. I may be mixing some things up, it's been a while

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 8, 2014

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

precision posted:

In other news, I just totally cried during the latest episode of Sherlock. Well loving done, Cumberbatch.

So did everyone else and he was so confused :confused:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Palooka posted:

Person of Interest signal : ACTIVATE!

Was going give the show a watch, but is it only available on DVD and iTunes - I.e. No streaming services like Netflix or Amazon Prime or CBS sourced? Does CBS not usually have old seasons of their shows up on services or is PoI unique?

Oh my God, the most frustrating part of getting people into PoI is that for a time the show seemed downright allergic to digital distribution, even by CBS standards. Like, it only just showed up on iTunes this July. Season 1 is available on Netflix Instant in the UK, but that's it. It's loving annoying.

Hope you find a way; it takes a while to find its groove, but it does right.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If Person of Interest comes to Netflix, I'll take you guys' recommendation and watch it in a second.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

Yeah, that was probably the best best man speech I've seen anywhere. When he was being sincere, at least.

I know the thread wasn't too hot on the episode (and there were some flaws, such as the victim being painfully obvious) but I thought it was decently clever and overall a contender for my favorite episode of the show.

It also had the side effect of feeling like a series finale, which I guess it is, in a way--with the way the episode ends, the status quo of the show has probably been effected enough that it simply won't be quite the same show again.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Are we really having the Mindy Project argument again? It's a sitcom focused almost entirely on the dialogue between the characters, with the plot only existing to add talking points. Character development is limited to what relationships the characters are in, and that's been the case for many sitcoms. You like it or you don't, but there's not really any quality discussion to be had about whether or not you like it and why.*

*I greatly enjoy Mindy Project, but I also really liked 2 Guys, A Girl, and A Pizza Place, It's Like, You Know, Whatever, and Wings. There are many other examples, but I really wanted to make a list with a bunch of confusing commas.

Anyways, no Cougar Town thread?

Edit: Postal Parcel said it better, only left the text in for the postscript.

Grassy Knowles fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 8, 2014

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm a Person of Interest convert now, having caught up to all but the last two episodes. It's good but you have to watch all the below-average episodes in the first season to appreciate the rest of it I think. There are too many bits and pieces scattered throughout that all add up to the character moments and mythology, and missing those would detract from when the show later draws on them to get good.

It's like a cross between taking the best elements from Lost, Fringe and Xfiles, and in its own sci-fi (I want to say exaggerated but... not so much) way it's quite relevant to stuff that's going on right now in reality. Some of the things they say in the first season, long before all this NSA stuff broke, are surprisingly prophetic.

If Person of Interest hadn't metaphorically grown a beard, but literally had instead, it would look like Brian Blessed.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

DivisionPost posted:

Oh my God, the most frustrating part of getting people into PoI is that for a time the show seemed downright allergic to digital distribution, even by CBS standards. Like, it only just showed up on iTunes this July. Season 1 is available on Netflix Instant in the UK, but that's it. It's loving annoying.

Hope you find a way; it takes a while to find its groove, but it does right.

Hannibal does much the same thing unfortunately. It's not available for streaming on any platform and is only available for purchase on a couple.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Hannibal does much the same thing unfortunately. It's not available for streaming on any platform and is only available for purchase on a couple.

Oh, that should be streaming on Amazon Instant eventually. They made a big deal out of landing the exclusive rights.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Cactus posted:

I'm a Person of Interest convert now, having caught up to all but the last two episodes. It's good but you have to watch all the below-average episodes in the first season to appreciate the rest of it I think. There are too many bits and pieces scattered throughout that all add up to the character moments and mythology, and missing those would detract from when the show later draws on them to get good.

It's like a cross between taking the best elements from Lost, Fringe and Xfiles, and in its own sci-fi (I want to say exaggerated but... not so much) way it's quite relevant to stuff that's going on right now in reality. Some of the things they say in the first season, long before all this NSA stuff broke, are surprisingly prophetic.

If Person of Interest hadn't metaphorically grown a beard, but literally had instead, it would look like Brian Blessed.

Season 1 is only below average because it is followed by seasons 2 and 3 :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

precision posted:

Has it aired here yet? Was the resolution of last season's finale reasonable?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

zoux posted:

It has not aired in the US yet. And...well...that last one is debatable, as it always is with that kind of thing. I enjoyed it, but it was definitely divisive in the thread.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

zoux posted:

I liked it, and found it was handled the best way you could handle something like this without getting your solution nitpicked to death 30 seconds after the credits. Others however hated it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Intelligence is Chuck, only actually entertaining.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

xeria posted:

I just watched the first episode of Dante's Cove with TVIV favorite STEPHEN AMELL and that was pretty much the most horrifying thing I've ever seen.

She actually means the most gloriously terrible thing. This show isn't just horrible in every way; it actively seeks out every opportunity to be horrible.

Things which are amazing in Dante's Cove:

-The dialogue ["It's where we keep extra beers and sodas for our bitchin' parties." Or "I just don't know what's got into him." "I can tell you what's gotten into him. That boy."].

-The acting veers between :geno: and the most inept ham this side of a nursing home buffet.

-The bitchin' guitar licks at the most inappropriate times [19th century sex scenes are exactly the appropriate time for a sensual yet driving riff]. Actually, the music in general is just godawful.

-The laziest supernatural effects I've ever seen.

Honestly, the most competent thing about it is the sex, which is merely boring.

So yes, Dante's Cove is one of the worst things you are likely to ever watch, but it is also one of the most compelling if you like irredeemably terrible works of art.

Also Stephen Amell used to be a terrible actor.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Kaizoku posted:

Are we really having the Mindy Project argument again? It's a sitcom focused almost entirely on the dialogue between the characters, with the plot only existing to add talking points. Character development is limited to what relationships the characters are in, and that's been the case for many sitcoms. You like it or you don't, but there's not really any quality discussion to be had about whether or not you like it and why.*

*I greatly enjoy Mindy Project, but I also really liked 2 Guys, A Girl, and A Pizza Place, It's Like, You Know, Whatever, and Wings. There are many other examples, but I really wanted to make a list with a bunch of confusing commas.

Anyways, no Cougar Town thread?

Edit: Postal Parcel said it better, only left the text in for the postscript.

Pro tip: semicolons. You're welcome. /Sadie

Although it did make me smile that I am not the only person who remembers 2 Guys, A Girl, and a Pizza Place. (Ryan Reynolds and Nathan Filion as two sides of a love triangle. Whatever happened to the other Guy and the Girl? Or the Pizza Place for that matter?)

Mindy Project has no thread for it (like Cougar Town, I guess?) so any impulse to chat about it lands here. Given the fact that so many goon-beloved guest stars show up its hardly surprising some of us like to talk it up a little every now and then, too. Timothy Olyphant as a slacker skater FoTW? Yes, please, and then I will watch Go for the 83rd time.

For liking it you don't seem to respect it very much, but I have a few shows I enjoy that I hold in similarly low esteem. The Mindy Project slides a lot of post-feminist social commentary (especially regarding pop culture's impact on relationship expectations) between the lines, though, and I think it deserves a little more respect than it gets. If it doesn't get cancelled by next season (which it will) I would probably make it a thread.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I don't mean to call you out specifically but this attitude really gets on my nerves. Like, when anyone says they don't enjoy Girls and people resort to "Oh well you don't like it because it's about a privileged white girl", as if it's impossible to both "get" something and dislike it.

A lot of people do seem to hate it simply for starring a privileged white girl, though. Or they interpret the events of the series as "privileged white girls can kick it with the best of them!" which isn't how I saw it at all.

I dunno, I'd be interested to find out why zoux feels the way he does about it, because that criticism makes 0 sense to me at the moment

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 8, 2014

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

After somebody telling me Person of Interest is "a less retarded Homeland with an actual likeable lead" I'm forced to give it a try.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Homeland is a much more entertaining show with better actors than PoI.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mu Zeta posted:

Homeland is a much more entertaining show with better actors than PoI.

I don't know, it's down a few actors and PoI never had a Brody's family. The highs of Homeland may be higher, but it's not a series entirely made of highs as far as that goes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm trying to think what possible connection you could draw between PoI and Homeland and coming up blank. I'm always glad for more people to check out PoI, but that's really not an accurate comparison.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Machine was built to stop terrorists and Homeland has terrorists I guess. Yeah it's a stretch.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 8, 2014

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Midnight City posted:

After somebody telling me Person of Interest is "a less retarded Homeland with an actual likeable lead" I'm forced to give it a try.

They are absolutely nothing alike.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know who's meant to be the unlikable lead in Homeland, especially compared to fuckin' Jim Caviezel (actually I'm fine with his performance so far)

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

BarbarousBertha posted:

Mindy Project has no thread for it (like Cougar Town, I guess?) so any impulse to chat about it lands here. Given the fact that so many goon-beloved guest stars show up its hardly surprising some of us like to talk it up a little every now and then, too.

Mindy is a terrible show that nevertheless manages to pump out just enough great gags per episode to keep me tuned in. Its kinda like the reverse B99 in that respect.

Bown posted:

A lot of people do seem to hate it simply for starring a privileged white girl, though. Or they interpret the events of the series as "privileged white girls can kick it with the best of them!" which isn't how I saw it at all.

The problem is when that line of reasoning becomes the knee-jerk defense to every criticism of the show. There are a million reasons to not like Girls and "is about spoiled, worthless morons" is just one of them.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Bown posted:

I don't know who's meant to be the unlikable lead in Homeland, especially compared to fuckin' Jim Caviezel (actually I'm fine with his performance so far)

I love Caviezel's performance, it's like Tim Olyphant's performance in Deadwood - playing the role well looks like you're not doing much, acting-wise.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm trying to think what possible connection you could draw between PoI and Homeland and coming up blank. I'm always glad for more people to check out PoI, but that's really not an accurate comparison.

Damian Lewis stars in Homeland and also starred in the sadly cancelled NBC show Life, meanwhile Sarah Shahi stars in Person of Interest and also starred alongside Lewis in Life, therefore both shows are directly comparable, QED.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Kai Tave posted:

Damian Lewis stars in Homeland and also starred in the sadly cancelled NBC show Life, meanwhile Sarah Shahi stars in Person of Interest and also starred alongside Lewis in Life, therefore both shows are directly comparable, QED.

"Here; watch two and a half Seasons of Robo-actor before a mildly talented girl from this cancelled series shows up!"

Well worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Irish Joe posted:

Mindy is a terrible show that nevertheless manages to pump out just enough great gags per episode to keep me tuned in. Its kinda like the reverse B99 in that respect.

I watch Mindy, and Super Fun Night, simply because they both seem to have really good guest stars that I like from other things and one of them says something funny enough to keep me watching. Mindy is probably a bit better than SFN though, which really should be better given that it's a Michael Showalter show :(

• Locked thread