Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

frozentreasure posted:

The thing I find myself taking away most from this video, above everything else that you can be baffled by, is that he played Tetris. And he couldn't even do that moderately well enough.

At a certain point you just have to wonder if he really is doing all of this on purpose. You just take a step back and think "there is no way he could be this stupid. There's no way anyone could be that incompetent. There has to be a point where it stops." But it doesn't. It's the slow motion train wreck that never ends.

I want him to be a troll. I want this to be an elaborate act where it turns out this is all an experiment by Slowbeef or some poo poo like that. But, its gone on for too long. I want to believe that no one can be this stupid, but I just cannot bring myself to that belief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

frozentreasure posted:

The thing I find myself taking away most from this video, above everything else that you can be baffled by, is that he played Tetris. And he couldn't even do that moderately well enough.

At a certain point you just have to wonder if he really is doing all of this on purpose. You just take a step back and think "there is no way he could be this stupid. There's no way anyone could be that incompetent. There has to be a point where it stops." But it doesn't. It's the slow motion train wreck that never ends.

Does this loving rear end in a top hat actually have a segment on his program entitled "Ask the King".

Are you goddamn serious

I actually like this guy less than I like the guy whose job on youtube is to literally shriek and scream rape jokes, at least that douchebag did that charity thing a couple of months ago.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Brassherald posted:

I want him to be a troll. I want this to be an elaborate act where it turns out this is all an experiment by Slowbeef or some poo poo like that. But, its gone on for too long. I want to believe that no one can be this stupid, but I just cannot bring myself to that belief.

The one thing too - which if he is a troll, he is kinda brilliant - is that there's one Witcher 2 video that's easy to miss and it's really funny. Someone pointed it out to me as "his best video."

It's one second long.

Basically, he has some sort of automated process for uploading these and the recording hosed up, so one of the Witcher parts was really only one second. This is a mistake anyone can make but it's kind of an old video and he's yet to notice or fix it, so he really, really doesn't give a poo poo.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Maybe he's negging his audience.

"All you are good for is taking my trash! I am so much better than you!"

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 7, 2014

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Slowbeef posted:

The one thing too - which if he is a troll, he is kinda brilliant - is that there's one Witcher 2 video that's easy to miss and it's really funny. Someone pointed it out to me as "his best video."

It's one second long.

Basically, he has some sort of automated process for uploading these and the recording hosed up, so one of the Witcher parts was really only one second. This is a mistake anyone can make but it's kind of an old video and he's yet to notice or fix it, so he really, really doesn't give a poo poo.

I just want to see this video now, but I cannot find it with a search of his channel and do not feel like going through his massive amount of videos. The worst thing about that is that the Witcher 2 was clearly one of the ones done with a camcorder, so, I don't even know how that is a mistake he made. I do think he would be more bearable if all his videos were about 10 seconds long.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Roar posted:

Does this loving rear end in a top hat actually have a segment on his program entitled "Ask the King".

Are you goddamn serious

He is the self proclaimed King of Hate because he won a single Street Fighter tournament like five years ago because all the pros expected arcade cabinets and the tournament hooked up PlayStations and the moves/attacks were different. Phil showed up and won because he is a console scrublord. The fallout from that and the legion of "haters" make him feel entitled to the crown.

You would think that someone who claims to have such thick skin would be fine with people using his own videos to make fun of him, but he is actually notorious for threatening internet legal action and launching YouTube complaints against people who use his own videos to make fun of him.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

He is the self proclaimed King of Hate because he won a single Street Fighter tournament like five years ago because all the pros expected arcade cabinets and the tournament hooked up PlayStations and the moves/attacks were different. Phil showed up and won because he is a console scrublord. The fallout from that and the legion of "haters" make him feel entitled to the crown.

You would think that someone who claims to have such thick skin would be fine with people using his own videos to make fun of him, but he is actually notorious for threatening internet legal action and launching YouTube complaints against people who use his own videos to make fun of him.

Highest ranking US player for EVO 2005, not actually winning it

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

VivaVizer posted:

Well, I know NorthernLion has done videos like that as well for Hearthstone.

Both are about 24 minutes with 25k+ views. I... I don't get it. Maybe it scratches an itch for people that I just don't have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRVWTYgEoh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtEY8snMGVc

Jeez, 25 minutes for 40 packs? I'm at work right now so I can't watch them, but does he talk about the merits of every card or something? HuskyStarcraft talks a lot and even he opened 113 packs in that amount of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh_CCyiAAtU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I can't believe there does exist a person we can LEGITIMATELY hate and despise for everyone reason he deserves :allears: I dream of people like this to unite others against.

I mean, even PewDiePie's given his money to charity, I know that much he at least gives to the World Wildlife Fund. At least he can actually PLAY a game even if he's screaming and ranting, and I dunno how he is personality-wise, but from all that I heard, he's nowhere near as egocentric as DarkSydePhil.

See, the worst part is that, if he is a troll, then he's not only been pulling this poo poo for way too long, but he's become the person we despise all the more for it. You can only troll for so long before you like, become the joke and it's just as loving terrible as a person like that existing for real.
Like that one guy who wanted to be Retsupurae'd, and he played Mario 64 for like THE ENTIRE loving GAME with the most annoying bullshit voice he could imagine JUST to get that?
And yanno, once we all found out, gently caress that guy because that is just pathetic. So even if we find out DSP is a troll, he's still a loving rear end in a top hat all the more for it.

I kinda can't entirely hate PewDiePie because I used to be a huge fan of another Let's Player who...was basically like a nicer, British version of him, but still rather all-the-way with his jokes by the name of "psychedelicsnake".
But he's a nice guy and I used to like his stuff so when I watched PewDiePie for the first time I was KINDA reminded of him, and I couldn't be a hypocrite in fully disliking it. So I remain neutral, I can see why people like him, and also why they hate him.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Even if I don't like PDP I can at least respect his ability to draw in an audience and play the publicity game. It's as much a stylistic issue as an objection to him himself. DSP is a terrible person who is literally incapable of comprehending what he is doing wrong while refusing to take advice about why his numbers are going bad.

Also, what is up with all the blowjob motions his girlfriend is making in that video?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

MooCowlian posted:

Also, what is up with all the blowjob motions his girlfriend is making in that video?

Because the stream is supposed to be mature and about the game, not about his girlfriend

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Ah, I see.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

VivaVizer posted:

Well, I know NorthernLion has done videos like that as well for Hearthstone.

Both are about 24 minutes with 25k+ views. I... I don't get it. Maybe it scratches an itch for people that I just don't have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRVWTYgEoh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtEY8snMGVc

These videos are awful; which is a shame because this guys stuff is usually pretty good. Its just that when I want to watch people playing video games on the internet, I'd quite like to see actual gameplay rather than "look at these cards that I've wasted £30 on)

Holon
Dec 4, 2013

Time and time again...

IceAgeComing posted:

These videos are awful; which is a shame because this guys stuff is usually pretty good. Its just that when I want to watch people playing video games on the internet, I'd quite like to see actual gameplay rather than "look at these cards that I've wasted £30 on)

I don't know how I feel about these videos, being a MTG player for a while does bias this opinion a bit, but in the TCG world of fans some of them like watching packs get opened, I sure as hell like opening packs, and when a friend is opening them I tend to watch and enjoy as well.

Though I had another topic I wished to question, what are the general opinions on Polaris? The new contracting group that's got everyone from Pewdiepie to Total Biscuit doing poo poo for them.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Holon posted:

Though I had another topic I wished to question, what are the general opinions on Polaris? The new contracting group that's got everyone from Pewdiepie to Total Biscuit doing poo poo for them.

They're not terrible, but also not God's gift to networks as some people seem to think. They also have a one/two year lock-in contract which can be a bit risky with the major changes YouTube has been making recently.

E: Also they aren't "new", they just renamed The Game Station.

E2: Anyone considering joining a network should really wait about a month and see how the whole Managed vs Affiliate thing shakes out. January ad rates are usually poo poo anyway so you won't miss much.

unfair fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 8, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'd like to recommend the ongoing Two Best Friends LP of I Have No Mouth. I've tried watching other takes on this game in the past, but generally the presenters were more focused on nitpicking arbitrary aspects instead of focusing on the story and symbolism, aka its main draw.

So it's a surprise that these guys, notorious for being loud and obnoxious, are able to play through it in a pretty level headed manner, and aren't afraid to base their commentary mostly on analysis of the plot and characters.

(I get the feeling most other LPers are uncomfortable with the subject matter and feel obligated to make jokes even when there's little potential for them, and as a consequence their commentary gets superficial and completely removed from the actual content of the game - yes, I'm talking about Retsupurae, amongst others).

Gamesfreak13563
Jan 28, 2010

Get ready for a SHAQ DOWN!

FinalGamer posted:

I can't believe there does exist a person we can LEGITIMATELY hate and despise for everyone reason he deserves :allears: I dream of people like this to unite others against.

If such a person exists, how would we even find him? For such a person to be legitimately hated, he must have drummed up something resembling a fan base or else it would be beating a dead horse.

Holon
Dec 4, 2013

Time and time again...

unfair posted:

They're not terrible, but also not God's gift to networks as some people seem to think. They also have a one/two year lock-in contract which can be a bit risky with the major changes YouTube has been making recently.

E: Also they aren't "new", they just renamed The Game Station.

E2: Anyone considering joining a network should really wait about a month and see how the whole Managed vs Affiliate thing shakes out. January ad rates are usually poo poo anyway so you won't miss much.

I see, so that's why it pretty much popped up out of no where... though at this point it really doesn't much appeal to me, some of their exclusives are pretty good, but mostly I see Markiplier and Pewdiepie along with a whole bunch of poo poo that really isn't interesting. That and ever since blip became a joke I really hate how their videos are and the overall layout.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

For all the legal action DSP said he'd ever take on various people, has he actually done any yet? I just like the idea of a lawyer talking to him and him not understanding how laws work.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Holon posted:

Lowtax as well; or am I making that up? I'm sure I saw he was listed on a network page next to pewdiepie...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bobjr posted:

For all the legal action DSP said he'd ever take on various people, has he actually done any yet? I just like the idea of a lawyer talking to him and him not understanding how laws work.

"Oh my god this legal system is so bugged! The police are so bad at writing laws. Look at this! I can't even sue this guy! I'm trying to sue and it's not working, it's so bugged... *hyena laugh*"

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

"Oh my god this legal system is so bugged! The police are so bad at writing laws. Look at this! I can't even sue this guy! I'm trying to sue and it's not working, it's so bugged... *hyena laugh*"

Don't forget the belching into the mic.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

bobjr posted:

Every time I see that I want to send him my card so I can hear his arguments and laugh at him forever.

It would be against the Rules of Ethics, though.

Kajmir
Jan 17, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

Lowtax as well; or am I making that up? I'm sure I saw he was listed on a network page next to pewdiepie...

Well, his channel is listed under the "Polaris Family" under the about tab on the channel. I'm not sure if that means he's partnered though.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Slowbeef posted:

It's one second long.

Man, his Witcher 2 "LP" was such a loving debacle. From what I remember 2 years ago, he took somewhere around 10 episodes to beat the tutorial. Ugh

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Wait, this guy makes a living from Youtube Videos?

loving hell...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The other unfortunate implication of DSP buying collectors editions of games, trading them away and then giving the loot away after without the game is that he's one of those atrocious people that trades a game in without the case. If you live near DSP and you want to buy a pre-owned game, there's going to be a pretty good chance you're getting a disk covered in grease from this asswipe.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

FinalGamer posted:

I mean, even PewDiePie's given his money to charity, I know that much he at least gives to the World Wildlife Fund.

This is one of two times I've seen this come up in the thread since the DSP hate train got back on the rails.

I am utterly failing to understand how that changes anything at all about PDP or how I'm supposed to feel about PDP. The fact that he feels the need to tell people he gives money to charity actually makes me dislike him more for trying to use that as a way to dismiss criticism against him that he is just doing things for money.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
I think it's a way of saying PDP was the bottom but there is someone even worse, an undiscovered 10th circle of hell

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Lazyfire posted:

This is one of two times I've seen this come up in the thread since the DSP hate train got back on the rails.

I am utterly failing to understand how that changes anything at all about PDP or how I'm supposed to feel about PDP. The fact that he feels the need to tell people he gives money to charity actually makes me dislike him more for trying to use that as a way to dismiss criticism against him that he is just doing things for money.
To be fair, I didn't hear it from him directly and I don't know if he ever DOES mention it or not, it was mentioned on his TVTropes page. Now whether that was done by him or a fan, I do not know, it's just that if I hear one guy gives to charity, and one guy doesn't and they're both dislikeable "internet celebrities", I'm going to be leaning towards the moneygiver.

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I think it's a way of saying PDP was the bottom but there is someone even worse, an undiscovered 10th circle of hell
Yeah, pretty much this. Speaking of annoying-as-gently caress Youtube personalities, has anyone ever watched Markiplier? What is this guy's loving deal because everytime I see a snippet of him, he's constantly playing nothing but horror games and screaming with the most irritating long-jawed face I've ever seen.

And why the gently caress is he always up with his thumbnails TRYING to scare the poo poo out of people with fuckfestery?

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011
I'm still not sure if I can accept if DSP is real, like everything he does is serious, he is unable to read or pay attention to anything, but those videos making fun of him are quite addictive to watch, I don't like the guy or how he acts but these videos blow my mind. This link has collected almost all of those This is how you don't play and DSP tries it http://pastebin.com/vVC91m17 the Castlevania one gets me though, he smashes his pad because he can't work out a puzzle.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

FinalGamer posted:

To be fair, I didn't hear it from him directly and I don't know if he ever DOES mention it or not, it was mentioned on his TVTropes page. Now whether that was done by him or a fan, I do not know, it's just that if I hear one guy gives to charity, and one guy doesn't and they're both dislikeable "internet celebrities", I'm going to be leaning towards the moneygiver.

Tvtropes has literally no oversight, don't use it to back up a claim ever.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

FinalGamer posted:

To be fair, I didn't hear it from him directly and I don't know if he ever DOES mention it or not, it was mentioned on his TVTropes page.

I thought he did in his "I'm Sorry" video.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Migeman posted:

I'm still not sure if I can accept if DSP is real, like everything he does is serious, he is unable to read or pay attention to anything, but those videos making fun of him are quite addictive to watch, I don't like the guy or how he acts but these videos blow my mind. This link has collected almost all of those This is how you don't play and DSP tries it http://pastebin.com/vVC91m17 the Castlevania one gets me though, he smashes his pad because he can't work out a puzzle.

Wait... how? Lords of Shadow lets you skip any major puzzle segment if it's too hard for you! You just miss out on a token amount of XP!

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Wait... how? Lords of Shadow lets you skip any major puzzle segment if it's too hard for you! You just miss out on a token amount of XP!

It's one where you have to hit floor switches and he can't work out how to do it, he solves the puzzle to work out which ones but he can't work out how to punch the floor.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Slowbeef posted:

I thought he did in his "I'm Sorry" video.

Yep, he straight up points out that he donates money to charity and has used his "celebrity" to get people to donate to other ones. I don't have a problem with him raising money or donating money he earned to them, or anyone else doing that. I do have a problem when someone tries to use these sort of things as an excuse for other types of behavior like he did.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It's not an excuse for his behavior, but if most of his income goes to charity, it means he isn't trying to crank out videos for money. Maybe for views/popularity, though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's not an excuse for his behavior, but if most of his income goes to charity, it means he isn't trying to crank out videos for money. Maybe for views/popularity, though.

i don't think there's anything to suggest he donates most of his money to charity though. given how he apparently quit college, I'm pretty sure he's in it for the money.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
OK, I thought the claim was that most of his income goes to charity. No, I'm not going to do in-depth research about PewDiePie's financial statements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Suspicious Dish posted:

OK, I thought the claim was that most of his income goes to charity. No, I'm not going to do in-depth research about PewDiePie's financial statements.

Nah, he's said that he makes donations to charity and he raised a little under a half a million dollars for a clean water charity through his fans. Again, that's good work, but when you use it as an excuse for your lovely YouTube videos (the most grievous of offenses) it loses impact.

• Locked thread