Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

what's the point of owning a shitload of guitars if they're all ibanezes with the exact same pickup configuration argghhh

that's like a car collector who only buys 2003 dodge neons

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Prawned posted:

I'm only on page 13, but I just wanted to say thanks to the thread for causing Dr Faustus to have a major loving autsie attack.

You're only on page 13?

You haven't seen anything near peak autist yet.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Polo-Rican posted:

what's the point of owning a shitload of guitars if they're all ibanezes with the exact same pickup configuration argghhh

Don't joke that's a real thing that happens.

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Polo-Rican posted:

Hey Thread King, what kind of wheels do you rock?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Neon SRT-4 like whoa.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

hahaha the headlights are painted just so, that the car looks FIERCE

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Rob Ford posted:

Hey Thread King, what kind of wheels do you rock?

Uhm that's clearly not a car a fine upstanding minority hater like doctor faustaus would drive. Much like with his dogs and guitars, he is very protective of them (from black ppl)

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Polo-Rican posted:

lol this is the most succinct way i've seen dr faustus explained

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

GreatGreen posted:

Actually I think out of those three, tortoise would be best... not that it would look good relative to most other good looking guitars.

Actually I think the biggest problem is the maple fretboard. Put a rosewood fretboard on there and I think a white pickguard would be best:

Actually that's mint green (trap sprung I guess?).

But seriously 3ply black on black with maple is a great colour combination on Fender guitars and basses and is basically the only option that makes Music Man basses look tolerable. Pity it doesn't make them sound any better.

It's gotta be three ply black/white/black though. Without the white pinstripe it just looks weird.

Also, speaking of Music Man basses...

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Rhopunzel posted:

is there a reason they glue together two blocks, or is it possible to just use one big block of quilted maple

A 2" thick block of quilted maple that would be wide enough and have a consistently impressive figure across the entire piece is really, really expensive. On the other hand, I have bought AAA-AAAAAA quality quilted maple veneers, which are normally about 1/40" thick if I remember, for $30-50, a solid piece would be hundreds. If you think about it three dimensionally, the wavy grain happens when the grain itself is compressed, so under a really heavy branch, for example. The amount of trees where that happens in such a way that you have a lot of heavy figure across a large area are relatively few. I've bought long pieces of maple for furniture making that have plain, flame and quilted sections on the same board. As White Dog Eggs said, you'd have to bookmatch to make it symmetrical, and even then it won't necessarily look symmetrical because of the way quilted grain reflects light. Also, to bookmatch, you'd have to have a piece twice as thick as you would normally use, so the price is going up. That's why you saw things like the Foto Flame finishes, like this ugly fucker -

The "flame" is just a picture of flame maple laminated to the guitar. I have one of the early PRS SE-24 guitars and it has a quilted maple top with some really stunning figure, I've often wondered if it's real.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Here are a couple of eBay uggos I came across:

What is going on here?

It looks like somebody was attempting to take the finish off an old guitar, changed direction with the approach midway, stuck a vinyl sticker on the unfinished body THEN said, "gently caress it!" and put the hardware back on.

Here we see what happens when a middle schooler buys one of those "build your own Strat" kits and then gets artsy in dad's wood shop:

...except I think an adult made this and is very proud.

Dec 26, 2012

"how can i top the stupidity of a monkey grip? ive got it!"

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Thumposaurus posted:

The original 60's ones were wallpaper.

Haha, no way! I can totally believe that, up until the late 70's fender were still spraying their guitars with surplus car paint.

Sire Oblivion posted:

And their god drat right because it's a thing of beauty, White Dog Eggs do you build guitars from scratch or something? Do you do commissions?

It looks nice but it's a sod to do and people get pissy when I tell them that it'll cost extra.

Yea, I build 'em and sell them. I used to make guitars and just sell them to who-ever wanted them, but mostly I work on commission or do repairs now, I've still got a few half-made ones sitting around though, should probably finish them up. Link to an earlier post

Tempus Fugit posted:

A 2" thick block of quilted maple that would be wide enough and have a consistently impressive figure across the entire piece is really, really expensive. On the other hand, I have bought AAA-AAAAAA quality quilted maple veneers, which are normally about 1/40" thick if I remember, for $30-50, a solid piece would be hundreds. If you think about it three dimensionally, the wavy grain happens when the grain itself is compressed, so under a really heavy branch, for example. The amount of trees where that happens in such a way that you have a lot of heavy figure across a large area are relatively few. I've bought long pieces of maple for furniture making that have plain, flame and quilted sections on the same board. As White Dog Eggs said, you'd have to bookmatch to make it symmetrical, and even then it won't necessarily look symmetrical because of the way quilted grain reflects light. Also, to bookmatch, you'd have to have a piece twice as thick as you would normally use, so the price is going up. That's why you saw things like the Foto Flame finishes

Huh, I never realised it was due to compression, I just assumed it was a variaton on burl.

Tempus Fugit posted:

I have one of the early PRS SE-24 guitars and it has a quilted maple top with some really stunning figure, I've often wondered if it's real.

It will be, pre-1994 PRS guitars are loving awesome instruments, they were probably the best production guitars in the world at that time. Never sell it.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 8, 2014

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

It will be, pre-1994 PRS guitars are loving awesome instruments, they were probably the best production guitars in the world at that time. Never sell it.

I'm really surprised at PRS being poo poo now, I remember hearing the story of when they first started out and assumed they continued. I guess there's a reason I always see so many PRS guitars on Craigslist nowadays.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Rhopunzel posted:

I'm really surprised at PRS being poo poo now
They're not, even their SE line has incredible build quality. The whole 'pre-94' thing is by and large a myth. Current production models are easily comparable in quality to the best of whatever Fender and Gibson produce from their custom shops and are extremely consistent from one guitar to the next, which NO other manufacturer can touch.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

iostream.h posted:

They're not, even their SE line has incredible build quality. The whole 'pre-94' thing is by and large a myth. Current production models are easily comparable in quality to the best of whatever Fender and Gibson produce from their custom shops and are extremely consistent from one guitar to the next, which NO other manufacturer can touch.

Well, they aren't poo poo, but they are just mostly over-priced now, also they are pure CNC, not hand made. Also if new PRS guitars are comparable to Fender and Gibson custom shops then that is really depressing.

Edit: Wouldn't call the build quality 'incredible', it's good, but I've seen errors with the neck pockets, pickup routs and they are using some nasty-rear end hardware, the stock bridges are naff as hell (especially those solid wrap-around bridges, urghhhh), cheap pot-cast stuff rather than milled steel.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 8, 2014

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
So PRS are poo poo now? What's wrong with them? They don't stay in tune? The neck warps? Different pickups? What magical thing do they not do now?

iostream.h posted:

Oh that's kind of what I thought was going on

ZombieParts fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 8, 2014

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

White Dog Eggs posted:

Huh, I never realised it was due to compression, I just assumed it was a variaton on burl.

[woodsperg] Yeah, your photo on the last page is a good example of that, I think it was spalted elm?

That wavy grain in the middle where the limb was coming through is just from the distortion caused by the wood growing around the limb. A good rule of thumb is if the bark is wavy, the grain is probably wavy too. I'm sure you've worked with maple burls before, so you know they look totally different. There's often wavy grain near or around burls, just due to the fact that the grain around the burl often gets compressed or changes direction like it would with a limb, but burls are like a tumor and often there's almost no decipherable grain. Bitch to work. I'd be wary of a guitar made from a solid burl too, they can be really unstable because of the lack of uniform grain. I've had burl pieces on my lathe that have literally exploded into pieces due to a weakness. Makes it fun. [/woodsperg]

content -

Something about the combo of the staggered frets, pickups and exaggerated horns isn't working for me here

Edit - VVVVV - right? How would a fellow fret your everyday first position Fmaj barre chord?

Tempus Fugit fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 8, 2014

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

i don't think i've ever seen frets like that before, wtf is going on there :pwn:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
this is why you don't drink and make guitars kids

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Rhopunzel posted:

i don't think i've ever seen frets like that before, wtf is going on there :pwn:

You've never seen fanned frets before? A bunch I posted had them.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Rhopunzel posted:

it's for people with crooked arthritic fingers

Dec 26, 2012

i feel like this is some kind of escher thing where it's supposed to be very, very subtly off in a lot of ways

like it just looks slightly wrong at first but then you really look at it and you see the pickups, the weird frets, the awfulness of the wood (especially that bottom left piece), those corners on the body, ugh

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rhopunzel posted:

It's probably for intonation reasons and stupid tunings.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

GreenAcidRage posted:

stratdax i appreciate everything you have done, thank you, and would like you to keep posting ugly guitars for a bit more if it isn't too boring, thanks

Thanks! I'll post something if it's relevant or if I come across something truly terrible.

iostream.h posted:

I'm not the biggest Vai fan in the world, his music leaves me cold these days (although I'll always fondly remember when Passion & Warfare came out) but I gotta admit, I think that pics pretty cool. He's also a nice guy who's willing to sit and talk music for hours with anybody.

He's one of the few guys left who still really looks like a Rock Star. He's able to pull off leather pants, crazy ornamental jewelry, weird shirts with diagonal cuffs or whatnot. If CC Deville tried to dress like he did in the 80s he would look somewhat worse.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Sire Oblivion posted:

The "real" reason is mostly ergonomic but the real reason is "look at my money also I shred 'em like cabbage".

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sire Oblivion posted:

I won't sperg too hard, but basically standard guitar fretting has naff intonation, fanned frets is a way around that. There are ways to get around it by using different fret spacings, the Buzz Feiten system being the most well known, but last time I checked it cost something like £2500 to attend a course on how to do it and I'm not that rich

man thats gross posted:

The "real" reason is mostly ergonomic but the real reason is "look at my money also I shred 'em like cabbage".

Also this.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

I won't sperg too hard, but basically standard guitar fretting has naff intonation, fanned frets is a way around that. There are ways to get around it by using different fret spacings, the Buzz Feiten system being the most well known, but last time I checked it cost something like £2500 to attend a course on how to do it and I'm not that rich

Also, none of it matters. Eddie Van Halen had "somewhere around Eb" tuning plus a much-more flat B-string because it sounded cool, he just played or bent-up to whatever sounded right, and Atomic Punk is still boss.
It's all in the fingers.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Burl and quilt are horrible to work with, I've had pieces explode on my bandsaw a few times. Spalt can be a poo poo too, especially when you hit a soft patch.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 8, 2014

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

stratdax posted:

It's all in the fingers.

Never tell this to a guitarist mid tone-wood sperg, they get angry. It's hilarious, expensive, but hilarious. Lost a commission that way once, doh.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Joe Satrinai playing an 80 dollar guitar I believe the guy's house its at is a goon and he posted about it in ML.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9v5e1TTwts

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

Never tell this to a guitarist mid tone-wood sperg, they get angry. It's hilarious, expensive, but hilarious. Lost a commission that way once, doh.

Yeah it's just another one of those things, like audiophiles. They're more interested in the gear and collecting all the little pieces and use phrases like "system" or "interlinks" or "precise microtuning" or "attack" or whatever and never "let's blow the loving roof off this place". Buy a $3000 guitar and rub it with a cloth and never play it, or when they do it still sounds like poo poo.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 8, 2014

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Joe Satrinai playing an 80 dollar guitar I believe the guy's house its at is a goon and he posted about it in ML.

this is amazing

e: it almost makes me want to have my starter guitar, a squier, shipped over

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

stratdax posted:

Also, none of it matters. Eddie Van Halen had "somewhere around Eb" tuning plus a much-more flat B-string because it sounded cool, he just played or bent-up to whatever sounded right, and Atomic Punk is still boss.
It's all in the fingers.

even steve vai said that jimi hendrix sound was all in his fingers and he cant replicate it

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

White Dog Eggs posted:

Burl and quilt are horrible to work with, I've had pieces explode on my bandsaw a few times. Spalt can be a poo poo too, especially when you hit a soft patch.

Yeah and a lot of people develop allergies to the molds in spalted wood too, a dust mask is a pretty good idea especially if you do a lot of sanding. Ever try to hand plane a burl?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

stratdax posted:

It's all in the fingers.

Salt Fish posted:

Love it when somebody makes a statement like that and undeniable proof gets posted shortly after. :allears:

Remember kids, your favorite guitarists didn't get famous playing a custom masterwork guitar made out of rare tonewoods by an 80 year-old luthier living in a cave on the side of a remote mountain. They got famous playing whatever cheap piece of poo poo they could get their hands on when they were starting out. If you're good, you will sound good on anything.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
yeah but if youre mediocre maybe just maybe if you spend enough money youll sound good

maybe

maybe

maybe

please god

maybe

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-NgeXl-PPA

Adbot