Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Hadlock posted:

1998 E39, non xenon headlights with OEM "clear corners" from the 2000-2003 models

Headlights are scratched/sandblasted to hell, makes driving at night almost hazardous (and in passenger's opinion, is hazardous) at highway speeds. Also those angel eye lights burned out

Remove and buff headlights, buy used headlights and replace ($??) or buy new OEM lights ($700)?

Other options? There are a couple how-to write ups on buffing lights but it seems like a couple hours worth of work.
Are the headlight covers not easily replaceable like they are on the E46? I know nothing about the E39.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
I'm looking at getting an '03 e46 wagon and the prices are... interesting. There aren't many of them that pop up in my area, but one just did yesterday and they're asking for $9k. It has just less than 100k miles on it. The blue book on these range from 7-8 with the options this one has -- can I get them down into that range? Or is this a coveted vehicle that I'll have to pay a premium for?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

I'm looking at getting an '03 e46 wagon and the prices are... interesting. There aren't many of them that pop up in my area, but one just did yesterday and they're asking for $9k. It has just less than 100k miles on it. The blue book on these range from 7-8 with the options this one has -- can I get them down into that range? Or is this a coveted vehicle that I'll have to pay a premium for?
If it's got a manual and some of the preferred options, then it might sell for more. KBB is not always to be trusted, especially on something like an e46 touring that has somewhat of a niche market. If he doesn't find a buyer for it quickly, it will probably sit on the market for a while and he'd be more willing to come down.

But it never hurts to try negotiating. Good luck!

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

Gentlemanofleisure has got it. I paid just over 12k for my 01 touring, alpine over black, completely base, 5speed with a less than 20k cooling system, thule rack, bbs reps and coilovers at just over 120k. Also keep in mind, this was a very motivated seller. Something about totalling his buddies' R32 and having to buy it out from underneath him to fix it or something. I'm pretty sure he could have gotten 15 if he waited for the right buyer.

If you want a touring, especially a 3 series, you're gonna pay a premium, especially if the seller knows what's what.

NitroSpazzz posted:

You guys may be ok as long as you let it thaw slowly. The water in my old E30 froze solid for at least a month, we towed it to the heated garage and let it heat soak for a day and a half. After thawing everything worked fine and the cooling system on that car never gave us issues.
I checked it when I went home for lunch and the expansion tank is surprisingly blue. Hopefully its okay, no ice in there or anything. I'm going to let it sit for awhile though, north Atlanta isn't supposed to get above freezing till later tomorrow. I do need to go by the dealership and grab some more coolant, though. :cheers:

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 7, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You take that back. The E36 is rad.

'Rad' or not, they're still one of the most popular Chumpcars out there. Also popular in Lemons.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

HotCanadianChick posted:

'Rad' or not, they're still one of the most popular Chumpcars out there. Also popular in Lemons.

That ain't the car's fault. It's the chump who owns it. :colbert:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

They've kept their value better than any other because manuals (especially with sport packages) are rare and BMW tourings have a cult following. I tried for about 6 months to find a clean one under 10k CAD and gave up. If you're set on a touring expect to pay the premium, although the AWD versions tend to go for less because you can't really lower them a ton.

I still plan to get myself a BMW touring, but at this point I'll probably try to snatch up one of the many german e30s that have ended up in canada.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
Cool, I'm going to try to snag this one, then.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

Cool, I'm going to try to snag this one, then.
Is it a manual?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Funny, here in the UK tourings are less desirable and have lower insurance.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Cakefool posted:

Funny, here in the UK tourings are less desirable and have lower insurance.

I was reading about how in Europe, people enjoy swapping illegal amber corner markers onto their car. Funny how that works.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
Ah, got there and got in the car and there sat an automatic transmission between the seats. Bummer.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012
What are some common problems e60's have? Is this car viable as a second car?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Crustashio posted:

They've kept their value better than any other because manuals (especially with sport packages) are rare and BMW tourings have a cult following. I tried for about 6 months to find a clean one under 10k CAD and gave up. If you're set on a touring expect to pay the premium, although the AWD versions tend to go for less because you can't really lower them a ton.

I still plan to get myself a BMW touring, but at this point I'll probably try to snatch up one of the many german e30s that have ended up in canada.

Well, you could bolt an entire RWD front subframe into an XI since they use the same chassis.
I'd rather do a manual swap on an auto rwd car though.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

revmoo posted:

I was reading about how in Europe, people enjoy swapping illegal amber corner markers onto their car. Funny how that works.

Whatever you didn't get is cool. I have a feeling there are a few big bumper vintage BMWs running around europe just because. My favourite is morons purposefully importing RHD stuff from europe when you could easily source a LHD drive version.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

destructo posted:

Are the headlight covers not easily replaceable like they are on the E46? I know nothing about the E39.

E39s have a single giant headlight unit on either side. To buff it you need to remove the entire device which is about 5x8x24" in size. It's a fair-sized afternoon project to remove and buff both of them.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

What are some common problems e60's have? Is this car viable as a second car?

It would be helpful as to what model and year your looking at.

But common issues against all E60s:

Cooling system on the 6 cylinder models
Thrust arm bushings
rear tire chewing if out of alignment
various bushings
CCC (iDrive computer) will eventually poo poo itself.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

BrokenKnucklez posted:

It would be helpful as to what model and year your looking at.

But common issues against all E60s:

Cooling system on the 6 cylinder models
Thrust arm bushings
rear tire chewing if out of alignment
various bushings
CCC (iDrive computer) will eventually poo poo itself.

2004-2006, I don't know what the difference between all the models are. They seem to be similar in price to E90s. I just love that body style and even though the 5 series is older it looks similar to an e90.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

2004-2006, I don't know what the difference between all the models are. They seem to be similar in price to E90s. I just love that body style and even though the 5 series is older it looks similar to an e90.

Yeah, see what I posted then. Also, if you do go for a V8 model, the N62 is a notorious oil burner. BMW claims its fine, but the valve guides that seem to poo poo themselves around 100k miles or so.

But god drat, if you want a car that will get out of the way in a hurry, the 06 550i is good at it. I would rate it pretty close to the E39 M5. Its not quite an M5, but it doesn't carry the expense of the M tax. Plus for those people that get their panties in a wad, the E60 V8 models have rack and pinion steering and not recirculating ball like the E39 V8 models.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Yeah, see what I posted then. Also, if you do go for a V8 model, the N62 is a notorious oil burner. BMW claims its fine, but the valve guides that seem to poo poo themselves around 100k miles or so.

But god drat, if you want a car that will get out of the way in a hurry, the 06 550i is good at it. I would rate it pretty close to the E39 M5. Its not quite an M5, but it doesn't carry the expense of the M tax. Plus for those people that get their panties in a wad, the E60 V8 models have rack and pinion steering and not recirculating ball like the E39 V8 models.

Thanks a lot, I will keep the 550i in mind. Having a wicked v8 must be nice but I don't want to go bankrupt with repair bills. I most probably would go with the 6 cyl models.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
There's not really much of a difference in maintenance costs between a V8 and an I6. They both use a lot of pricey synthetic oil at each oil change, the V8 will eat its' timing chain guides but the six will devour its' water pump and expansion tank. A the turbo 6 will likely have fuel pump failures and need the valves walnut blasted every so often. The only place your wallet is likely to notice a difference between the two is at the gas pump.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If you keep your foot out of it, a 550i can achieve around 25 mpgs or so on the highway.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BrokenKnucklez posted:

If you keep your foot out of it, a 550i can achieve around 25 mpgs or so on the highway.

Ha! That's a boring tank of fuel.
In maintenance chat: '97 E36 M3, I'm ordering water pump/thermostat/tstat housing/ fan clutch/tools overhaul stuff to complete the GDCS replacement that the PO completed earlier last year (he did rad/expansion tank/hoses) and I can't seem to find a decent answer as to which pump to order from pelican. The metal or plastic impeller units are the same price (basically) and both seem to have the same potential issues according to Internet echo chambers OR there is the genuine BMW unit for ~$150 instead of ~$50. Do I just get the OEM?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

BrokenKnucklez posted:

If you keep your foot in it, a V8 M3 can achieve a whopping 5.3 MPG! best €600 ever spent on fuel, thanks nurburgring

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Cruise control on, my ~36 mile freeway commute home, with the meter reset shortly after merging into traffic and getting up to speed. :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Economy car gets good fuel economy under ideal conditions, that is astounding.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
If you get a 535i, you can spend $500 on a JB4 and get 400bhp.

Issues on the turbo motors (N54s)

Make sure you get one 2008 or later.

HPFP can have issues, but are warrantied to 100k / 10 years

Turbo wastegates can rattle and not close properly, causing loss of boost pressure. Turbos warrantied to 8 years / 82k miles

Injectors can go bad. Newest part seems to be reliable. By now I'd imagine you won't have any trouble with these. They cost about $150 a piece and need to be ordered in sets of three.

Plastic charge pipe cracks. Lots of inexpensive metal aftermarket solutions.

Water pump is a 60k mile wear item, and costs $450.

That's about it, really. Lots of high mileage N54s are out there. A lot of people run aggressive tunes and have no issues. over 400whp is achievable on stock turbos - I think the stock turbo no nitrous record is 450whp. That's drat near 550bhp.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

HotCanadianChick posted:

Cruise control on, my ~36 mile freeway commute home, with the meter reset shortly after merging into traffic and getting up to speed. :colbert:

I fail to see what your getting at. A 3 series 2.5 (it could be a 3.0) strait 6 manual is always going to do better than a 5 series 4.8 V8 automatic. Also your showing consumption after resetting getting onto the interstate where consumption is greatest.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 8, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Also traveling 20mph slower than a proper BMW owner would ever be seen traveling.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Powershift posted:

Also traveling 20mph slower than a proper BMW owner would ever be seen traveling.
Maybe that's related to: (from Dec. 2012)

HotCanadianChick posted:

Welp, I'm an idiot and just got pulled over for doing 120mph in my ZHP on a long straight stretch of back road near my parents' house. I'm lucky I only got a $1125 ticket and didn't get arrested/charged with reckless endangerment/have my car impounded. :suicide:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I can't seem to find a decent answer as to which pump to order from pelican.

Anything but Graf. OEM is fine. I'd recommending spending extra and getting the Stewart pump.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I fail to see what your getting at. A 3 series 2.5 (it could be a 3.0) strait 6 manual is always going to do better than a 5 series 4.8 V8 automatic.

Not that much, really. My E36 325 gave me like 26-27 MPG on the highway, and 22 city. E39 540i gets me about 25 on the higway, and 19 in the city. I expected way lower, honestly.

That sixth gear is the fuckin' key, I swear.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

Not that much, really. My E36 325 gave me like 26-27 MPG on the highway, and 22 city. E39 540i gets me about 25 on the higway, and 19 in the city. I expected way lower, honestly.

That sixth gear is the fuckin' key, I swear.

I took that photo because I was specifically grannying it and hypermiling. I normally get around 26 freeway and 21 city. I just wanted to see if I could beat the current F30 328's mpg despite my lack of annoying eco-poo poo like EPS and electric water pump (i.e. if BMW hadn't kept adding weight to the 3 series they wouldn't be struggling so hard to meet CAFE requirements now). I even had my A/C on (for keeping the windows defogged). And yeah, 6th gear really helps for mileage.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 8, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Weight hardly factors into highway mpg--it's far more dependent on cD, frontal area, engine, gearing and tire/wheels.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
For a car that is bigger than an E34 and weighs about as much, they actually get pretty loving good gas mileage for a sports sedan.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

Weight hardly factors into highway mpg--it's far more dependent on cD, frontal area, engine, gearing and tire/wheels.

That reflects even more poorly on the F30's mileage - my zhp has more aggressive cams, wider (higher rolling resistance) tires, and shorter final gearing than a standard 330i - it's the least efficient E46 short of an M3, and can still match/beat the EPA highway mpg for the F30 328i, despite all it's efficient dynamics BS.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

HotCanadianChick posted:

That reflects even more poorly on the F30's mileage - my zhp has more aggressive cams, wider (higher rolling resistance) tires, and shorter final gearing than a standard 330i - it's the least efficient E46 short of an M3, and can still match/beat the EPA highway mpg for the F30 328i, despite all it's efficient dynamics BS.

I seriously doubt you're doing F30 mileage across a full and average driving tank of gas. Sure, you're going to hit the highway mileage in certain circumstances but you're not going to return that mileage every tank the way an F30 will. Go look at Fuelly and it's plain to see - http://www.fuelly.com/car/bmw/328i

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

HotCanadianChick posted:

You can't count what you did against results from EPA tests.

When you do this, you can compare.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
B-b-but my superior e46 :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Woahhh, almost 450mi left on the tank while cruising at 85 and I'd already gone 122mi on the tank. I think I averaged 37mpg and I was being an rear end in a top hat from Phx to LA. E90 supremacy.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 9, 2014