Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I like Levi as a character, I still kinda hope that he does die. Just to see the shitstorm it would create. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
So if I'm understanding this right Erwin "sold them out" in order for them to manipulate the situation to their advantage, hence why they made a jump on their hideout / they were able to prepare this decoy act in order to spring a trap. The plan is to set the Royal Guard into action in such a way that they are always moving within their grasp. Plus, this potentially gives Erwin insight knowledge on the guard.

Also: I made a thread for a similar but very different manga that many of you may find interesting called Knights of Sidonia. It has some shared themes (namely the whole Humanity's Desperate Struggle With Being Screwed) but is very different otherwise (what since the response to it is "if humanity can't handle this, we're going to get TRANSHUMANIST AS gently caress"). It's definitely worth a read.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

'speculation from the AoT wiki posted:

The girl Eren saw in his vision is... his mother. The only other person who likes like Eren is his mother. So, Karula was of a noble descent like Historia and she later met Grisha, who probably became Eren's dinner the night he injected him, and ran away with him, later marrying him and giving birth to Eren and bla bla bla the story as we know it. Probably Grisha learned a lot things about Titans and the walls by Kalura and then he started his work on the injection he used to Eren.

I dunno how likely this would be, since why would Eren's mother have left the inner wall for the boonies in Shiganshina, but then again Eren did say "Historia?" when he recalled memories of his mother

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

I know this is from several pages ago but, what is the song used in the trailer?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

UberJumper posted:

I know this is from several pages ago but, what is the song used in the trailer?

DOA, Aimee Blackshleger. It's an insert song in the anime.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

UberJumper posted:

Sounds like DOA

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Zorak posted:

Also: I made a thread for a similar but very different manga that many of you may find interesting called Knights of Sidonia. It has some shared themes (namely the whole Humanity's Desperate Struggle With Being Screwed) but is very different otherwise (what since the response to it is "if humanity can't handle this, we're going to get TRANSHUMANIST AS gently caress"). It's definitely worth a read.

It's also written by an artist who likely had quite an influence on Isayama (Nihei's autograph is one of his most prized possessions).

Nihei on the other hand is not quite so lucky.

Tsutomu Nihei tweeted:

お父さんも進撃の巨人みたいに面白い漫画描けばいいのにと娘に言われちまったよ。

My daughter said "Dady, you should have drawn an interesting manga like Attack on titans."

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I dunno how likely this would be, since why would Eren's mother have left the inner wall for the boonies in Shiganshina, but then again Eren did say "Historia?" when he recalled memories of his mother

It might not even be his mother in the image Eren saw, but another ancestor of theirs. If Eren can look like a male clone of his mother, his mother could look like a clone of her mother, or some such.

But assuming that Eren saw the memory of his mother or of another ancestor, it does imply that his mother wasn't just a random person. Earlier on, people thought that if anything special ran in the family, it would be through Grisha, but now the option of Carla is open too. But Carla didn't turn into a Titan to avert her death, or control its actions, so I can only assume that she wasn't capable of doing so. That still doesn't 100% rule out her having a Titan shifter or controller connection of some type.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Wonder how Isayama's going to feel when Tsutomu is gonna ask for his autograph.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

HenryEx posted:

Wonder how Isayama's going to feel when Tsutomu is gonna ask for his autograph.

Probably squeal like a little girl.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Chapter 53:
I have a feeling Femeren is a genetic memory of a pre-apocalypse ancestor, and we'll start getting tantalizing flashbacks to how this whole hellstorm got kickstarted. Unfortunately, like :wookie:, we just don't have any scraps of data to really start theorizing with.

One thing that is interesting is that Eren only remembers his crunchy patricide while in Titan form. It almost implies that the Titan is a separate entity that he puppets, but which may have it's own recollections and thoughts. It definitely seems like he almost became a mindless abnormal during the experiments.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
^^^: Agree with the above to a good extent.

That was definately Eren. Not Mikasa. Mikasa is half-japanese. Not his mother. That wouldn't make any drat sense and she didn't even look like him. And it has already been aluded to that Eren's parents weren't his real parents. In fact, with the whole conversation between Ymir and Reiner, most signs point to that Eren was a girl previously, turned into titan, wandered around for like half a century or more, turned into a little boy(by unknown means, albeit it seems to suggest that eating, maybe successfully digesting a person will cause the revertion, but that is highly speculative), lost all his memories and were taken in by the titan researcher of the humanity inside the walls, Grisha.

Whom he ate after he released his powers again?
It seems to suggest to me that this is also why Reiner and Bertholdt were so convinced that Eren were on their side even though he had no human motivation for going with them. They are used to the ways of titanshifters and didn't think Eren could possibly care that much for his adoptive parents, after all he is just like them!

But that goes a bit against what Bertholdt said about "nobody enjoys killing other human beings". Implies a lot of their mental state when they went into this.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

Not his mother. That wouldn't make any drat sense and she didn't even look like him. And it has already been aluded to that Eren's parents weren't his real parents.

Where was it alluded to that Eren's parents weren't his real parents? It might have happened but I don't remember it.

I wouldn't say that Eren doesn't look like his mother. I think he bears a very strong resemblance to her, especially in the anime and in chapter 50 of the manga. Going by the anime, they don't share an eye colour, but Eren's eye colour is similar to Grisha's, albeit a bit brighter.

The identity of the girl in the mirror is complicated by Eren thinking of Historia when he saw her. If she was intended to look primarily like either himself or his mother to him, Eren would have been more likely to think "Why am I wearing a dress?" or "Why am I seeing a vision of a younger version of my mother?" But in the same chapter, the eye shapes of the mirror girl and Historia's on the very next page look well nigh identical. I don't think it's a coincidence.

I've seen an interesting theory at another forum which seems to make sense: that Eren is simply seeing an inherited memory of a previous holder of the coordinate, and the coordinate was what Eren was injected with.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 8, 2014

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RatHat posted:

They'd need 1 big boulder like they used before to plug a wall, but they don't have the time or resources to dig one there or transport one.

Nah, he could as easily use pieces of houses and buildings nearby. Just pile then up.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Lots of interesting theories here; lots of red herrings and (potentially) unreliable narration. Trying to solve the mystery and figure out what's what is really engaging and what makes the story so intriguing. It's why Sherlock Holmes has stayed popular over nearly 2 centuries. Isayama deserves to feel good about his story.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

The central military police and the group they work for are currently the most interesting mystery for me, partially cause it's the mystery we are most likely to get some actual answers on in the near future.

chapter 53 spoilers just in case:
I want to know exactly why they want Historia and Eren. Are they aware of the power of the coordinate within Eren? Do they want to use Historia to get another member of the wall cult to divulge information or is the kidnapping just a power play to rob the survey corps of two of their greatest assets?

Do they fit in or work for Monkey Trouble somehow?

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

threeagainstfour posted:

I think that's unlikely. Monkey trouble was a scout for a group that had never encountered 3DMG before. If they already had spies in the Territory then the questions he asked Mike would have been pointless, since they should already know those things.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

threeagainstfour posted:

The central military police and the group they work for are currently the most interesting mystery for me, partially cause it's the mystery we are most likely to get some actual answers on in the near future.

I want to know exactly why they want Historia and Eren. Are they aware of the power of the coordinate within Eren? Do they want to use Historia to get another member of the wall cult to divulge information or is the kidnapping just a power play to rob the survey corps of two of their greatest assets?

Dunno, would it be more likely that they are aligned with Annie and Reiner and Bertolt's group? Hanji did mention that "enemies of humanity, like Reiner and Bertolt, have been in the interior this whole time" and Ymir mentioned that nowhere inside the walls was safe from the influence of the titan-shifter village.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Well, good to see a [near] confirmation of the Eren eating his dad theory, it was foreshadowed at least twice before.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Jackard posted:

Well, good to see a [near] confirmation of the Eren eating his dad theory, it was foreshadowed at least twice before.

Where else has this been brought up? I must have missed this story thread entirely.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Superstring posted:

Where else has this been brought up? I must have missed this story thread entirely.

Its related to that other theory about how a titan-human have to eat someone to regain control of himself.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Time to throw out random wild dumb speculation: Levi gets shot in the back by Interior Military Policemen during the rescue mission, and in despair Eren activates his ability to solidify, because god knows that all of his current titan-related powers have manifested in his most desperate times (first when he'd lost two limbs and was in a titan's stomach, the second when Hannes had just been eaten and then everyone around them was about to die as well).

v It'd mean Eren could plug the hole in Wall Maria, though losing Levi for that would be pretty tough.

Oh and it looks like we're not getting Chapter 54 until March, according to Crunchyroll? Then again the pages on this translation are all jumbled up...

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 9, 2014

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Time to throw out random wild dumb speculation: Levi gets shot in the back by Interior Military Policemen during the rescue mission, and in despair Eren activates his ability to solidify, because god knows that all of his current titan-related powers have manifested in his most desperate times (first when he'd lost two limbs and was in a titan's stomach, the second when Hannes had just been eaten and then everyone around them was about to die as well).

I don't see how that would help in any way though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wow, CR's got the pages completely out of order. Hope they fix it so the chapter makes a bit more sense.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its related to that other theory about how a titan-human have to eat someone to regain control of himself.

A theory which really hasn't been supported by events in the manga at all. And there's no reason to think that Eren ate Grisha after transforming. Eren unconsciously writing "My father" and "to me" isn't evidence that he did anything to Grisha at all, only that he subconsciously remembers the events surrounding the injection, and/or that he's still questioning why Grisha gave him the injection.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Considering Grisha was a pretty important guy, I suspect the fact that he's missing is either because he's been turned into gioop inside a titan's stomach, or chained up inside an Interior MP lab.

Oh yeah, remember how Grisha became famous for "saving" a "village" from a "plague"? Think it was some kind of accidental outbreak of titanism?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

threeagainstfour posted:

I want to know exactly why they want Historia and Eren. Are they aware of the power of the coordinate within Eren?
Maybe, but even his titan transformation ability alone (despite him being a fuckup in regards to everything except moving rocks) would be reason enough for people to want to use him for their owns ends. But yeah, it's probably related.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Phobophilia posted:

Considering Grisha was a pretty important guy, I suspect the fact that he's missing is either because he's been turned into gioop inside a titan's stomach, or chained up inside an Interior MP lab.

Abducted to Elf Island Titan-shifter Village.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Schubalts posted:

A theory which really hasn't been supported by events in the manga at all. And there's no reason to think that Eren ate Grisha after transforming. Eren unconsciously writing "My father" and "to me" isn't evidence that he did anything to Grisha at all, only that he subconsciously remembers the events surrounding the injection, and/or that he's still questioning why Grisha gave him the injection.
Not at all, it just came up at the same time as the "eat shifter to regain control" theory, while Reiner was chatting with Ymir about eating. But it's more likely that a titan eating people is an inevitability, not a necessity for shifting.

Odds are, Grisha was so upset while injecting Eren because the initial transformation would mean his death. It explains his vanishing and lack of guidance afterwards. It also explains the clues in this chapter.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 9, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

The better translation actually says this: "My father was... By me..."

http://i.imgur.com/uaZlaT2.png

It doesn't really take a great leap of faith to connect the dots here.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Mordaedil posted:

The better translation actually says this: "My father was... By me..."

http://i.imgur.com/uaZlaT2.png

It doesn't really take a great leap of faith to connect the dots here.

The official translation is up on Crunchyroll, and doesn't say that. Instead, it says: "My father" and "to me", basically confirming that Grisha is the one who made Eren a titan-shifter.

There's a few little details that seemed different in the Crunchyroll version, but I think overall it flowed a bit better. Aside from the above spoiler most of it was unimportant, or at least apparently so.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Nice to finally know which of those is the correct one. Though I suppose that my opinion has likely been influenced by seeing the incorrect translation first, I think that the scene still heavily hints towards Grisha being dead. I just can't think of anything else right now that would cause Eren to react like that.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
Well, something about his dad is hosed up enough that half-remembering it caused him to grieve for a half hour and generally lose his grip on things.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Jackard posted:

Not at all, it just came up at the same time as the "eat shifter to regain control" theory, while Reiner was chatting with Ymir about eating. But it's more likely that a titan eating people is an inevitability, not a necessity for shifting.

Odds are, Grisha was so upset while injecting Eren because the initial transformation would mean his death. It explains his vanishing and lack of guidance afterwards. It also explains the clues in this chapter.

Well, if I were basically condemning my own kid to a life as a pariah outside of one branch of the military which is pretty widely mocked by most of society, I wouldn't be too thrilled about what I was doing either.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I haven't read through the earlier parts of the thread, so sorry if this has already been discussed. How does Eren end up with the basement key and yet he doesn't care/realize how it got around his neck?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ETB posted:

I haven't read through the earlier parts of the thread, so sorry if this has already been discussed. How does Eren end up with the basement key and yet he doesn't care/realize how it got around his neck?

Supposedly his father got back at some point after wall Maria fall. That's when he injected some stuff in him (as seem in his flashbacks) and gave him the key too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is almost completely baseless, but I'm going to bet that the black-haired woman is Eren and Christa's grandmother (paternal for both). I say this mostly because she clearly has Christa's eyes, and because Eren thinking about his dad made him flash to her. That could also explain why Eren's dad knows things - he's part of the Reiss family.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Well, if I were basically condemning my own kid to a life as a pariah outside of one branch of the military which is pretty widely mocked by most of society, I wouldn't be too thrilled about what I was doing either.
Manga/anime both made Grisha seem more unhinged and desperate than something that simple would account for.

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln
Well, in the anime at least (can't remember how its worded in the manga) Eren says something about how he was acting weird after mom died. I imagine you aren't doing so hot when your wife being killed drives you to turn your son into a living weapon against the people responsible for her death. Though I suppose that doesn't rule out him committing suicide by titan in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Jackard posted:

In that epilogue chapter, Ymir tells Bert and Ernie that they're the reason she regained her human form so I assume either the marcel devoured theory is true or they did something else we haven't been shown yet.