Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
TSW is dead. I'm sorry. But hey, new 60 man raid, have fun pubbies and enjoy your instanced lag fests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

HughGRect posted:

TSW is dead. I'm sorry. But hey, new 60 man raid, have fun pubbies and enjoy your instanced lag fests.

I came to thread to see about maybe picking this back up, but this is the first thing I see. Nevermind!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Remember the good old days when we joked that they'd do this, because we (or at least I) didn't think they'd be this stupid?

There's going to be lores in the raid instance, and it's going to be the only way to get rewarded for the event, so I'm going to have to be there. But we need a dedicated 'Protest Presence' sign. A nice and visible way to indicate that we aren't here to fight this thing, we're only here because we have to be. Is there a particularly visible emote for this? I am entirely okay with ones we have to keep reapplying, because that'll make it very clear that we can fight this, we aren't AFK, we just don't want to.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

Remember the good old days when we joked that they'd do this, because we (or at least I) didn't think they'd be this stupid?

There's going to be lores in the raid instance, and it's going to be the only way to get rewarded for the event, so I'm going to have to be there. But we need a dedicated 'Protest Presence' sign. A nice and visible way to indicate that we aren't here to fight this thing, we're only here because we have to be. Is there a particularly visible emote for this? I am entirely okay with ones we have to keep reapplying, because that'll make it very clear that we can fight this, we aren't AFK, we just don't want to.

I would say post on the forums but they REALLY don't like when you speak negatively against Funcom and their lovely stupid design.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Len posted:

I would say post on the forums but they REALLY don't like when you speak negatively against Funcom and their lovely stupid design.

I am. I can still do that, because I don't use ad hominems in my arguments.

This one might possibly, maybe be slightly less awful, though. Tilty did mention that the reason this is a separate instance is because it's more controllable; all of the action zones are pretty dense and detailed, so they aren't really good for a dense concentration of players. With this one they can design a zone simple enough that it can handle the fight, so performance is going to be less of an issue, and they'll be able to actually give the boss things that are physically possible to avoid.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

I am. I can still do that, because I don't use ad hominems in my arguments.

This one might possibly, maybe be slightly less awful, though. Tilty did mention that the reason this is a separate instance is because it's more controllable; all of the action zones are pretty dense and detailed, so they aren't really good for a dense concentration of players. With this one they can design a zone simple enough that it can handle the fight, so performance is going to be less of an issue, and they'll be able to actually give the boss things that are physically possible to avoid.

They take complains that aren't ad hominem anymore seriously than they do people like me. Or don't you remember Joel flat out telling people "No there isn't anything wrong with the game and it still works just fine"?

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Welp, sorry to hear this game is dead, since I just picked it up during the Steam sale.

Gotten a poo poo ton of fun out of solo play so far, though. This game is like everything I'm a huge nerd about smooshed together into an enjoyable experience? Also, my favorite characters are the two different Jeffrey Combses. :3:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

DressCodeBlue posted:

Welp, sorry to hear this game is dead, since I just picked it up during the Steam sale.

Oh, it's far from a dead game. I think most of the posters here are referring to end-game content and some of the problems they've had with major events lately. The game's still really active, and I've never had problems finding people running around. The only issue is that the lower-level dungeons can be hard to party for in the LFG tool, but you can usually ask General and find people easily enough.

TSW is definitely best played as a single-player game that you sometimes group with other people in, but it's still really great. I've been having a blast after picking it up again after forgetting it for a year.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The last goon holdouts all recently gave up on it and are pretty resentful at Funcom for failing so miserably at selling enough copies to keep a competent dev team around.

The game isn't dead, but this thread has a high percentage of peeps who spent a huge chunk of time on it, only to have Funcom medicore them to death.

Funcom is also atrocious at PR and community management, so there's that.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

GEMorris posted:

The last goon holdouts all recently gave up on it and are pretty resentful at Funcom for failing so miserably at selling enough copies to keep a competent dev team around.

The game isn't dead, but this thread has a high percentage of peeps who spent a huge chunk of time on it, only to have Funcom medicore them to death.

Funcom is also atrocious at PR and community management, so there's that.

Basically this.

I enjoy the game a lot but I've just played so much of it that there's really nothing left for me at the moment (ugh wave defense). I'll come back every time there's content to be had or if I get a hankering -- but just not so much in the interim. I have no problems helping dudes out though so if you need a body to do something you can generally reach me through steam: speakerwire.

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
Yeah, I finally cancelled my subscription. Scenarios just aren't that great, dungeon running is obnoxious without a robust tool to lessen the constant waiting, and there's nothing like dailies or monthly content to necessitate playing more than once every 4 months or so when new content arrives.

Basically, TSW is a decent single player game with lovely mmo elements sloppily added on. Funcom should call it a day and release a single player title in the TSW universe.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Also got this during the Steam sale, it seems pretty fun so far with two exceptions:
-A billion Krampus (Krampi?) in giant murder packs all over Kingsmouth made the first week kind of touch-and-go
-Am I bad at this game, or is Ami Legend's last phase a huge piece of poo poo? It took me like an hour and a half of constant dying and I ended up having to swap out from Chaos/Shotgun to an incredibly tedious but effective self-healing AR build. Is this where the content starts to get bad, or was this just a badly tuned early quest?

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

-A billion Krampus (Krampi?) in giant murder packs all over Kingsmouth made the first week kind of touch-and-go

Just be happy you weren't playing last x-mas with the constantly spawning mayan hordes. While this year was certainly a step up from that, it certainly highlights that once funcom has an idea - they stick with it for better or worse.

quote:

-Am I bad at this game, or is Ami Legend's last phase a huge piece of poo poo? It took me like an hour and a half of constant dying and I ended up having to swap out from Chaos/Shotgun to an incredibly tedious but effective self-healing AR build. Is this where the content starts to get bad, or was this just a badly tuned early quest?

It can be tricky, there are a few missions like that through the game that are annoying if you run anything but a specific type of build. They're relatively few and far between though.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Pinely posted:

Basically, TSW is a decent single player game with lovely mmo elements sloppily added on. Funcom should call it a day and release a single player title in the TSW universe.

Whoever put the original investigation missions together could probably do the best adventure game ever. Also, you're right about only coming back when new content drops, though I didn't even do that for the last issue. I dunno about everyone else, but I feel like I keep this game installed for the same reason I still watch Walking Dead - what if one day they suddenly lived up to all that potential they've been squandering?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Has the new Tokyo area been implemented yet?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Ataxerxes posted:

Has the new Tokyo area been implemented yet?

Nope, Tokyo is a rumor started to keep pubbies interested. But if rumors are to be believed, April.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 9, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

Nope, Tokyo is a rumor started to keep pubbies interested. But if rumors are to be believed, April.

"Happy birthday Platbeard! We gave you a new zone as a present it's full of wave defense missions and has a new currency! Isn't it everything you ever wanted?"

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Len posted:

"Happy birthday Platbeard! We gave you a new zone as a present it's full of wave defense missions and has a new currency! Isn't it everything you ever wanted?"

You wanted Hallways, were you disappointed?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Pilchenstein posted:

Whoever put the original investigation missions together could probably do the best adventure game ever. Also, you're right about only coming back when new content drops, though I didn't even do that for the last issue. I dunno about everyone else, but I feel like I keep this game installed for the same reason I still watch Walking Dead - what if one day they suddenly lived up to all that potential they've been squandering?

They clearly have the ability to be good. The DLCs are still top-notch (you may have legitimate misgivings about scenarios, they were never expected to be universally liked), and every so often they produce something outside of them that shows they've still got it, like non-megaboss Hel. They're just listening to the wost possible people on a day-to-day basis, be they in the dev team or the community. That makes their events suck, their bug fixing less-than-stellar, and their QoL improvements negligent.

My advice: We punch a lot of people in the mouth, repeatedly.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

DressCodeBlue posted:

Gotten a poo poo ton of fun out of solo play so far, though. This game is like everything I'm a huge nerd about smooshed together into an enjoyable experience? Also, my favorite characters are the two different Jeffrey Combses. :3:

I'm in the same boat, I've played up to City of the Sun God so far and have had tons of fun soloing but what I've heard otherwise sounds really disappointing.

When people talk about the original missions being good what's the cut-off point? Should I expect stupid poo poo in Transylvania?

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

Zohar posted:

When people talk about the original missions being good what's the cut-off point? Should I expect stupid poo poo in Transylvania?

The game is basically solid until scenarios which is super endgame fractions of a point-type bullshit. The raid is worth a go at least once and I still prefer TSW dungeons to those in any other MMO. It's just I have fully upgraded gear on a couple of dudes and bullion to spare and don't care anymore.

To highlight, the game is good but they're not doing anything to keep people engaged beyond a certain point (endgame-wise). Which honestly, isn't a problem unique to TSW but whatever.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Zohar posted:

Most of the single player stuff, including Transylvania, is really good and worth doing atleast once to experience the stories of all the NPCs.

If I had to make a certain point a magical cutoff point, it would be the bullion grind to upgrade out of 10.1-10.2 purple dungeon drops into custom gear. The dungeons are all worth doing, I second that TSWs dungeon designs are fantastic. The concept behind scenarios is also neat, but poorly executed (my opinion).

If the Tokyo zone is even half as good as Egypt, it will be a success. Egypt is the worst of the three we have in regards to NPCs and their missions (still heart Nassir and Said though).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

HughGRect posted:

If the Tokyo zone is even half as good as Egypt, it will be a success. Egypt is the worst of the three we have in regards to NPCs and their missions (still heart Nassir and Said though).

Egypt was written differently, more like an Indiana Jones pulp-y story. The other zones are largely focused on the characters and helping them with things that are of some personal value to them, and overtime a story develops around that.

Egypt's more about the journey and the events, with a few standout characters to help it along. That's not a bad direction to come from, and Egypt isn't even bad at it, but it's different to the rest of the game so it stands out a bit. It's hard to tell which way Tokyo will go at this point, but since it has sort of a 'Ground Zero disaster area' feel to it then it might be closer to Egypt.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Egypt has the worst map in the entire game though. City of the Sun God is a horrible horrible place to be.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

HughGRect posted:

If I had to make a certain point a magical cutoff point, it would be the bullion grind to upgrade out of 10.1-10.2 purple dungeon drops into custom gear. The dungeons are all worth doing, I second that TSWs dungeon designs are fantastic. The concept behind scenarios is also neat, but poorly executed (my opinion).
I'd say this is accurate. I started playing just after issue 7 came out and really enjoyed the single player gameplay to the extent of levelling a second character just to see the difference between Dragon and Illuminati. When I finished Transylvania Rhan, Plat, Zepho and Cheston helped me and a few of the other new players through all the elites and some initial runs of 18s which were fun the first time through but I got to the point where I was in all the non custom 10.0-10.2 gear on Eidolonics around the time scenarios (which I don't really like) were introduced and realised that I'd need to run 18s every day for over a month just to get up to mostly 10.4 gear and decided to stop playing. That said, I definitely want to come back and pick it up again when Tokyo gets released because I really enjoyed the quest zones.

The single player is still really, really good and I'd strongly encourage anyone on the fence to pick it up if it's available in a Steam sale and play it like a well-acted and constructed single player RPG with elements of an MMO.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Len posted:

Egypt has the worst map in the entire game though. City of the Sun God is a horrible horrible place to be.

City of the Sun God is where I started killing myself to get from place to place.

Fluegel
Apr 7, 2007
I too got this in the steam sale and have really been liking this game so far. I don't really want to let the problems of the late game drag me down, I've discovered that I find the levelling and exploring phase of any MMO way more enjoyable than end-game scenarios. I'll just keepn on playing I guess!

Anyway, I'm astounded by the way most of the quests and missions are presented. There are cutscenes and voice acting, it really gives that little town a lot of character. Too bad I still don't really know what's going on except "There are monsters. You better go out and fight!"

Found myself a little overwhelmed by the ability/skill system at first, I assumed this game had a more traditional approach but after a little tinkering and trying out different weapons I've found that applying a shotgun and a hammer to zombies' faces is very fun. But just now, well, I just saw a guy blasting a sea horror with lightning and now I kinda wanna do that too. Is it advisable to splurge on new and exciting weapons? I've wasted quite a fair bit of AP already, trying out Swords and Chaos and whatnot. I'm still in Kingsmouth, AP seems to be coming in slow but steady. Should I be concentrating on just 2 weapons for the time being?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Fluegel posted:

Found myself a little overwhelmed by the ability/skill system at first, I assumed this game had a more traditional approach but after a little tinkering and trying out different weapons I've found that applying a shotgun and a hammer to zombies' faces is very fun. But just now, well, I just saw a guy blasting a sea horror with lightning and now I kinda wanna do that too. Is it advisable to splurge on new and exciting weapons? I've wasted quite a fair bit of AP already, trying out Swords and Chaos and whatnot. I'm still in Kingsmouth, AP seems to be coming in slow but steady. Should I be concentrating on just 2 weapons for the time being?
You can't really waste AP, since you'll eventually end up with the entire wheel unlocked anyway. If you want to try different things, you might as well go for it. What you definitely shouldn't do is try the classic mmo thing of rerolling to try different stuff - because the amount of AP you get from missions goes up drastically in later zones, it'll actually take you longer to get the skills you want to try on a new character.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
Well, the first dungeon was certainly a fun little romp! Time to move on to the Savage Coast!

Or...I would be if the publord leading my group suddenly thought that our merry band of Kingsmouth freshmen could do the next dungeon just as easily, fair enough we did manage to do alright.

Until we met Machine Tyrant. :negative:

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Krakatoah posted:

Until we met Machine Tyrant. :negative:

Wait till you do that fight on nightmare, it's a fight people either love or hate.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

HughGRect posted:

Wait till you do that fight on nightmare, it's a fight people either love or hate.
That's the fucker with all the circles chasing you and poo poo, right? That is an amazing boss fight, I genuinely wish more mmos had bosses that fun. I also wish I wasn't so loving dire at it, every time I've gone near Captain Spirograph I get my poo poo ruined. :v:

Edit: VV the cleanup part doesn't bother me, it's one of the few times I get to feel good about being "shotguns 4 lyfe yo", or whatever the kids are saying these days.

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 11, 2014

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Literally the only bad thing about M-Tizzle is the bullshit Cleanup meta, other than that I love that fight like an adopted child.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Brain In A Jar posted:

Literally the only bad thing about M-Tizzle is the bullshit Cleanup meta, other than that I love that fight like an adopted child.

I could do without the insta-self-gibs from "my attack was in midair and the shield went up, gently caress", but yeah, it's so much fun aside from Cleanup horseshit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The CU bullshit alone brings Machine Tyrant from 'one of the best fights in the game' to 'probably the worst that isn't from an event'.

The timer's just icing on the cake.

EDIT: vv The two Machine Tyrants don't require CU. They're alright in my book.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 11, 2014

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
gently caress all y'all. The only thing better than Machine Tyrant is TWO MACHINE TYRANTS. Hell Fallen 4 Lyfe.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Got this during the steam sale, and I've not gotten very far, only to Kingsmouth, but holy loving poo poo what is with the security cameras in the basement? There is one in the second room that is moving exactly opposite to the first one, so if you move though the first one, it will see you.

And the cameras seem to be able to detect you behind solid objects.

EDIT: I ended up just running through the cameras and let them see me. Managed to do it on the 3rd try.

More general question, I was looking around the wiki, and I feel like I did a horrible thing by focusing on pistols and chaos magic.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 11, 2014

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Kyrosiris posted:

I could do without the insta-self-gibs from "my attack was in midair and the shield went up, gently caress", but yeah, it's so much fun aside from Cleanup horseshit.

Cleanup horseshit? Mind elaborating?

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

On the Nightmare difficulty there's a stacking debuff that Machine Tyrant drops on everyone which causes ever-increasing damage-over-time. Because Funcom removed the feature which allowed skills that don't trigger to activate subtriggers (i.e., things that trigger of hindrance when cast on non-hinder-able enemies) the only way to reliably remove the debuff is to use the Shotgun ability Cleanup, which means that unless you're in a group that's in Mumble and has their poo poo together, at least 3 members of any given party are going to have to change their build to X/Shotgun purely so they can cast Cleanup on rotation.

tl;dr: horseshit

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Double-posting because it's useful advice for new players:

:siren:Make sure you collect a basic QL10 healing or tanking set in Transylvania and Elites:siren:

To access Nightmare dungeons, you will need to pass one of a DPS, Tank, or healing check. What is a pain about this is that the boss you need to deal with for this is immune to any crowd control abilities. This is a problem for the DPS check because doing it requires removing a buff from the boss, and the only way to do this reliably and often enough is with a high-tier Elementalism support skill. If you don't have Magnetic Wipe for the DPS check, you will be forced to either grind it out or make a heal or tank set before you can continue onto NMs.

Because of the aforementioned patch change, abilities that cleanse buffs based off crowd control triggers WILL NOT WORK. Anything that requires hinders or any other status condition will not count as being cast because the condition is not counted as being applied.

I hope this makes sense, because I needed to grind a bunch after I thought I'd be fine to use sub-triggering abilities to cleanse the buff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

NM Machine Tyrant would be a better fight if they just fine tuned the anima well spawn timer a little. The fact you can go through it "late" or "early" and gently caress the fight for a phase is super horse poo poo.

• Locked thread